Topic: Fireface USB Recording - Release Candidate 1

This thread is a follow up of

New UFX firmware with USB recording - public alpha
http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=10536

Fireface UFX USB Recording - public pre-release
http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=10764

Fireface UFX USB Recording - public pre-release 3 (including 2)
http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=10945

Please note that this thread is mainly about checking and verifying the new Direct USB Recording function.

------------------
Update 06/17/2011:
I removed all links as the drivers and firmware have been released on our website
-----------------

The UFX manual has been updated with the latest TM FX features and a chapter about Direct USB Recording. Download version 1.7 from our website, section Download, Manuals.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Re: Fireface USB Recording - Release Candidate 1

Changes:

- the drives no longer stop recording for no reason

- HD Load has been renamed to USB Load, as it more accurately describes what it shows. It has also been reworked to more accurately show the load. You can also see peaks exceeding 100% now (nearly always followed by an error counted up then).

- Max W.-Time has been reworked as well and will also show higher peak values to better indicate the real world conditions. And it has been renamed to Max R/W-Time, as it now also works during playback.

Notes:

- We have done tons of tests about files matching when combining them (Cobiashimew). None failed.

- The USB/FW fix (Khazul) is on the way, and should still be part of the final release.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks Matthias, I'll report after some checks.

Last night I asked you about a Patriot memory stick that was working with the first pre release and now UFX says "Media/Device Error". Any idea?

Thanks.

4 (edited by Moshiko 2011-05-21 08:37:57)

Well, it didn't took long smile
There is a bug in this release: When turning the main volume knob a bit - it's running all the way up to +6dB!!! (or down if turned left).
This happens when the new TMFX is open. After closing it the volume knob acts as expected.
Also, seems like it's related to faders groups - when the main volume and for example Phones 3 are on the same fader group.
Please check.
Thanks

Thanks for this release Matthias!
You guys are moving really fast now.

RME Fireface UFX
Mac Mini 2.6 GHz 16 GB Ram Areca RAID | MacBook Pro 2,2 GHz 16 GB Ram | OS 10.10.5

Moshiko wrote:

When turning the main volume knob a bit - it's running all the way up to +6dB!!! (or down if turned left).
This happens when the new TMFX is open. After closing it the volume knob acts as expected.
Also, seems like it's related to faders groups - when the main volume and for example Phones 3 are on the same fader

Confirmed. The three outs that can be adjusted by the main vol knob go crazy if grouped with any other channel. But it is not enough to close the TotalMix, you have to exit it to get rid of this. Thanks.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

7 (edited by Moshiko 2011-05-21 14:57:42)

I meant close it from the tray icon smile

About stopped recordings, it's already recording for almost 2 hours with no problem, so I hope this issue was really solved.
Update: 5 hours with no problem smile

Thanks Matthias.

Fixed in version RC1b. See link above.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

9 (edited by Moshiko 2011-05-22 09:40:31)

MC wrote:

Fixed in version RC1b. See link above.

Verified, it's okay with RC1b. Thanks Matthias smile

10 (edited by LiveAudio 2011-05-24 12:06:35)

Happy to see a new revision!
I installed the new files and had one issue.

I tried to play existing files from the front USB that I recorded under the last software version.
I could see all of the pertinent data and it looked as though everything was running OK, but I couldn't hear audio no matter what channel I listened/switched to.

I realized at that point that I had made a mistake and had the UFX set up for 192K, but the proper playback speed for the old files was 96K. I corrected that, but still had no audio. (I seem to remember that if you did that with the last revision, you'd hear audio, but at the wrong speed.) I rebooted the UFX and reinitialized the drive, same thing, no audio but it looked like it was playing.

I then recorded a new file. I could hear the new file fine and everything seemed to work correctly, so I tried to play an older file again to no avail.

Can anyone confirm if they can play old front USB recordings under the new software/firmware?

MC wrote:

Changes:

- the drives no longer stop recording for no reason

I'm going to do some tests, I'll report back.
I copied the old files to my computer, then I formatted my USB drive so as to have a fresh start.

UPDATE: Congratulations!  I stress tested 16 channels @ 192K with the 1TB WD USB3 drive and it recorded all the way through to the 100 section limit without stopping. Nice!

My only question is that the tracks show a duration of 3:53 But I seem to remember recording for a longer time period than that.
I can not confirm whether this is an issue or a mistake in my perception. I'll investigate further.

I'm very exited with the results of this first test!

Thanks,
Mike

Just wanted to report a successful recording of a classical concert:
4 days in a row, each day 3-4 hours recording, 6 channels 44.1kHz/24Bit
- main path was to a Thinkpad T60P, Windows 7, 32Bit and a SSD-Harddisk using Digiface, no special tuning of the laptop
- backup path was through USB to a Western Digital Harddrive WD5000 MES, formatted with fat32formatter

I'm an amateur and have no real responsibility to deliver the final recording,
so I took the risk and used your prerelease rc1+SW 1.37+driver 0981 for this task.

Harddisk was at ~8 %, neither USB nor Digiface reported any errors during all the single recordings of 1-4 hours each.

So far, I didn't detect any klicks/errors/inconsistencies of the material:
neither from the ones created through Digiface nor the ones created through USB.

Thank you programmers at RME for the "just in time" delivery of rc1!

Udo

First post updated with new FUT. Firmware 138 (DSP) now recognizes more sticks, and USB/FW have been further improved (no crazy flashing anymore when connecting both ports).

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

13 (edited by Chester 2011-06-05 00:50:39)

Tests done with the latest versions of firmware and driver as indicated at the top of this thread, using Seagate USB 2.0 640 GB drive P/N9SD2AG-500 - - - Recording with all 30 inputs active 44.1, ran error free for over 8 hours. With 60 inputs active shows USB loads of 70-80%, with intermittent loads over 100%, generating errors to the tune of 7 errors in about 4 minutes. Something intermittently pushes the USB load intermittently as high as 120%, then it will drop right back down to 70-80%.

Additional test done of recording 32 inputs at 48k, I get 9 errors in 6 hours of recording. HD utilization averages 47%, only occasionally spikes to over 100% and generates errors.

Additional test - Hitachi Deskstar HDS724040KLSA80 (400 GB) ESATA drive in a SIIG USB 3.0 dock, recorded 60 tracks at 48k for 2 1/2 hours, USB ran approximately 70%, no errors.

What is the recommended procedure for ejecting a USB drive from the Fireface UFX?

No procedure, just remove it (but not while it's recording).

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

First post updated with release version of TM FX 0.94.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Firmware 138
Fireface_291_x86 drivers and firewire connection.
TM FX version 0.94 (final release)
Ableton Live 8.2.1
Macbook Pro OS X 10.6.7

Something wrong with the firmware?
I had to increase buffer to over 400 samples to get this working and even then I hear crackles and sound breaking up.

Not working for me, so I went back to
Firmware 137
Fireface_291_x86 drivers and firewire connection, and
TMFX 0.94 MAC OS X RC 1b
which I had previously installed and now I can go down to 29 samples without any problems. (although I do use a little higher buffer just to be sure)

BTW, will you still enable the mackie control output bus selection?
Would be nice to get led feedback to my controllers. For now I'm using midi commands to select the output buses..

I asked earlier for the dedicated midi command for the trim on, but now I actually got the trim button's led feedback working with LcXmu and Behringer BCR2000. For some reason it doesn't work with the BCF2000 in mackie emulation mode, but that's ok because I'm using them both anyway, so I can easily look it up from the BCR.

Anyway, the problem is definitely with the LcXmu, cause obviously the feedback from TMFX to LcXmu does work as it should. Just hoping for the mackie ctrl ouput bus selection to come back again. :-)

Fireface UFX+ | Fireface UFX | Babyface Pro | 12Mic

Can you check which of the files is the problematic one? Do the firmware update with the old (your current) driver/TMFX. Check. Then replace TM FX. Check. Then the driver...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

19 (edited by bsfreq 2011-06-07 12:18:41)

MC wrote:

Can you check which of the files is the problematic one? Do the firmware update with the old (your current) driver/TMFX. Check. Then replace TM FX. Check. Then the driver...

Ok, I first updated the firmware to 138. Audio worked just fine, but when I pressed my midi foot controlled connected to UFX midi in, my whole OSX crashed (never happened before)

After rebooting, everything seemed to work ok. (Just played for a few minutes though)

Then I replaced the TMFX with the new version. Everything ok..

Then Installed the fireface driver and rebooted. Then the real problems started again. TMFX won't open, just crashes. Tried to reinstall the driver, but tmxf just won't start.. I sent the crash report to your email in case it helps..

Weird, cause the driver is the same one I used with the previous firmware. (at least the same version number) How can installing the same driver again stop it from working?

I'll just downgrade again for now, hopefully the problem is just a minor one. smile

You installed a driver that includes an old TM FX which will crash with the new firmware. After installing the driver you have to apply the (now release) TM FX 0.94 again. And this is clearly described in the first post.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

21 (edited by bsfreq 2011-06-07 19:30:10)

MC wrote:

You installed a driver that includes an old TM FX which will crash with the new firmware. After installing the driver you have to apply the (now release) TM FX 0.94 again. And this is clearly described in the first post.

Hmph. I'm not a rocket scientist, but I do know how to read. sad The first time I did exactly as instructed in the 1st post. (I've also done this about 10 times before with other versions, so I already know the procedure) As I mentioned, the problem was with audio and ableton live, not TMFX. (I also tested twice before posting here)

2nd (or actually 3rd)update I did as you instructed in your post #18,

MC wrote:

.. Then replace TM FX. Check. Then the driver...

because I thought you wanted me to check in that exact order for some reason.

I was just trying to help because I thougt there was something wrong with the release, but after updating ableton live to version 8.2.2 instead of 8.2.1, (just found out about the update) and upgrading the UFX once more, it seems to be working now. So I'm not sure what was causing the problem.. Possibly old live version then? I'll test some more and report if I get more problems.

Could you still answer my question about the output bus/submix selection with mackie control?
Earlier you stated that it would be brought back to the final release, and if I've understood correctly, the TMFX is in it's final release stage at the moment. That's why I'm asking for it now. smile

Thanks!

It's in the Settings menu (F3).

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

It's in the Settings menu (F3).

Great! Thanks for the reply! Didn't notice it there. Awesome and all the best to you. big_smile

Latest Updates: new firmware with USB jumping to 350 and FW to 339, new TM FX 0.941. See first post.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks for updating. :-)

RME Fireface UFX
Mac Mini 2.6 GHz 16 GB Ram Areca RAID | MacBook Pro 2,2 GHz 16 GB Ram | OS 10.10.5

All drivers and firmwares have been released, therefore thread closed.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME