Topic: Fireface UFX USB recording - public pre-release

A pre-release of the latest UFX features is now available, see links below. News:

- USB recording. See also this thread from the former public alpha:

http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic … 36&p=1

- support for mono (single) output channels (this feature is also added to UC and Babyface when using TM FX 0.94)

- the menus of the UFX no longer show stereo channels as two mono channels. This speeds up configuration at the unit and highly improves the overview in stand-alone mode.

- Dynamics indication. A white point is moving in the I/O graphics and shows where and how the FX works in the audio signal range. This is quite an interesting way to examine the dynamics settings. Note that we are aware that this display only works with an open D-panel. A typical gain reduction display will be added to the normal level meter bar soon.

- lots of small bugfixes

The USB recording comes up when pressing the METERS key left of the display. You get a self-explanatory Record/Playback screen, and turning encoder 1 an additional USB Memory screen.

Plug in a USB stick or USB hard drive to the front USB port. They have to be formatted as FAT32 before. We tested up until 2 TB. Such a big disk needs more than 30 seconds to be read in and intialized. A stick of 4 GB usually initializes within a few seconds.

The channels to be recorded are selected in the unit's CHANNEL menu, you find an entry 'Record' in every input and output channel.  Indeed you should be able to record all inputs and outputs at the same time, 60 channels, if your memory is quick enough. Most cheap sticks will only allow around 10 channels.

You will also find an entry 'Play Channel' in every input and output channel. You can play back the recorded data directly to the outputs, but also into the top of the mixer and then apply the whole TM FX to it. 0 means off, 1 and up is the channel number of the recorded signal.

It is also possible to play back wav files that have been copied to the memory.

All this can be set up a lot quicker and easier with the new TotalMix FX 0.94. Hit the Record View in the new Recorder panel and arm the channels. Clicking a play button gives a list of the channels present in the current file and allows to select one. The same dialog is used to disable playback (Off).

When the storage is too slow you will be warned by an error indication, use less channels in such a case. Another good indicator is the HD load, and the Write Time shown on the USB Memory page. A quick stick will stay around or under 200 ms, a bad stick will reach 600 ms and up. HD load should stay below 80% for a reliable recording.

Long time recordings that reach the 2 GB wav format limit will be automatically split. Playback will automatically take those into account later on.

More Info
The audio stream for input and output recording is taken before (pre) the EQ/Dyn. FX can only be recorded from an output when processing an input signal by the input FX. Or by a physical loopback cabling and then recording the input.

Playback signals are shown on the TotalMix level meters when set to 'Post FX', on both inputs and outputs. On the unit's METERS display only signals fed to the outputs are shown during playback.

Limitations:

- when changing the sample rate the recording will stop automatically. A warning dialog is shown as well.

- the sample rate of the played back file does not control the unit's sample rate. So for the correct pitch/speed you have to manually set the unit's sample rate. The unit shows the file's sample rate (and the number of channels) on the Record/Playback screen.

- the Info button of the TM FX Recorder shows the file's sample rate, the length of the recording and the number of channels.

- the USB interface of the UFX is limited to about 10 MByte/s throughput. Therefore recording in Double Speed is limited to 34 channels, in Quad Speed to 16 channels. Typical 2.5" external discs will show about 60% HD load and a Write Time of about 100 ms when recording 60 channels. This doesn't get better, even when using a SSD, as the UFX USB port is the limiting factor then.

Known bugs:

- Windows WDM playback via USB suffers from random clicks and pops when using buffer sizes higher than 256 samples. To get rid of these do not use 512 and up, or exit TM FX completely. This problem is also present in release driver 0.966. We are working on a fix.

Links:

DSP firmware 129:
https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/fu … ac_pre.zip
https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/fu … in_pre.zip

Latest drivers:
https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/usb_win_0979.zip
https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/fw_win_3044.zip

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/fireface_x86.zip
https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/driver_usb_mac.zip

After driver installation ovwerwrite TM FX with version 0.94:
https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/tm … re_094.zip
https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/tm … re_094.zip

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Re: Fireface UFX USB recording - public pre-release

WOW! So much good news... :-)

Am now seeing "File System Error" on essentially all USB sticks I've tried (2 Lexar 8 GB, Toshiba 500 GB, PNY 16 GB, SDHC Card Reader).  My old SanDisk 4GB works okay in the UFX (it did not before in v125), so I think the USB Port is okay.  All are formatted Fat32, 32768 sector allocation, Primary, Active, Healthy MBR Partition.  Arghh........

Good job! Many many thanks for the mono mode, and the dynamics indicator. It's nice you plan to add the standard gr meter, It will be more readable for multiple tracks I guess. The new indicator has a little too slow refresh rate in my opinion, but it provides a good overview on the dynamics.

The recording features are nice too. I'm only surprised by the 10 MByte/s throughput limitation. As I assume this is a USB 1.0 port? I was quite confident that it will solve all of the dropout problems of drivers and use the full potential of the UFX. A little disappointing that this feature will have a note "*full potential only in 44kHz".

I think there is too little speaker management in the UFX. A limiter on the outputs is a must in such a product. Also a soobwoofer section with bass management and crossover linked with the mains in the control room section would be a good addition.

Fireface-UFX, Mac OSX 10.6, Logic 9, BCF2000, AC-7 user, vocalist, live sound recording

When using the cue button on a mono output, with the mains in stereo mode, you get a stereo signal panned 100% to the left or right depending on the channel you push the cue button on. I think it should be mono.

Fireface-UFX, Mac OSX 10.6, Logic 9, BCF2000, AC-7 user, vocalist, live sound recording

6 (edited by Zavieri 2011-04-05 17:24:32)

I have encountered a problem where the dsp usage meter got stuck. No mater if all dsp effects were on or off, TMFX showed almost full DSP usage and didn't allow to enable anything more which was DSP driven. I think it happened after several clock changes.

http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/4898/tmfxstuck.jpg

Restarting TMFX cleared the DSP meter but the fx still doesn't go on, even though TMFX shows that they are enabled.
Restarting the UFX and TMFX afterwards made things work again.

does this one for FF UC too ???

RME: FireFace UC , Windows 7 Home Premium (x64) , iPad Air .

8 (edited by Moshiko 2011-04-05 19:53:42)

Hi Matthias,
All these updates are great!

Some notes/bugs:
1. Playback channel selection on UFX LCD allows selecting channels 60/61.
2. When moving up and down in playback channels on UFX LCD, the background is not cleared, so it reads like "((((1/2))".
3. Clicking on "Info" in TMFX during record operation, displays incorrect information:
  While recording 4 channels in 44.1 KHz, the Info message box says "48 channels, SR 32000 Hz".
  Correct information is displayed after stopping the record operation.
4. After updating firmware and driver and restarting the computer, old TMFX is started and then crashes.
  This is solved after updating to 0.94.
5. The readme file in the fut_usb_win_pre (129) setup says "Requires driver 0.978 or higher". For now we have only version 0.977.
6. After deleting the last file in TMFX, the "Info" and "Delete" buttons remain enabled. On UFX LCD the "Play" and "Delete" buttons remain enabled. In both TMFX and LCD the time trackbar does not clear.
7. Delete dialog in TMFX says "Do you really wont to delete ...?". That should be "want" smile

Thanks for the great work!

Moshiko wrote:

All these updates are great!

Thanks!

Moshiko wrote:

1. Playback channel selection on UFX LCD allows selecting channels 60/61.
2. When moving up and down in playback channels on UFX LCD, the background is not cleared, so it reads like "((((1/2))".

Will check.

Moshiko wrote:

3. Clicking on "Info" in TMFX during record operation, displays incorrect information:
  While recording 4 channels in 44.1 KHz, the Info message box says "48 channels, SR 32000 Hz".
  Correct information is displayed after stopping the record operation.

Because during record the file is not yet written.

Moshiko wrote:

4. After updating firmware and driver and restarting the computer, old TMFX is started and then crashes.  This is solved after updating to 0.94.

We know. It will prevent people from using the wrong TM FX.

Moshiko wrote:

5. The readme file in the fut_usb_win_pre (129) setup says "Requires driver 0.978 or higher". For now we have only version 0.977.

We wanted to have a complete Windows driver package (signed), but had to work on this pre-release until the last minute, and then left to Frankfurt Musikmesse. Yes, all RME developers are there, personally, to talk to our customers. That's also the reason that nothing more will happen until next week.

Moshiko wrote:

6. After deleting the last file in TMFX, the "Info" and "Delete" buttons remain enabled.

Not on my machine. Must be a redraw problem.

Moshiko wrote:

On UFX LCD the "Play" and "Delete" buttons remain enabled. In both TMFX and LCD the time trackbar does not clear.

Will check.

Moshiko wrote:

7. Delete dialog in TMFX says "Do you really wont to delete ...?". That should be "want" smile

Ouch :-)

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

does this one for FF UC too ???

The Direct USB Recording is only supported by the Fireface UFX. The Fireface UC can record on PC hosts via the included DIGICheck´s Global Record.

best regards
Knut

MC wrote:
Moshiko wrote:

6. After deleting the last file in TMFX, the "Info" and "Delete" buttons remain enabled.

Not on my machine. Must be a redraw problem.

Hi Matthias,
From TMFX, try to records a file, stop recording and delete the file (when it was the last file).
You'll see that you can click on "Info" and get last file info, or click on "Delete" and see a "Do you really want to delete [last file name]?" message.
Thanks and enjoy at Musikmesse smile

>They have to be formatted as FAT32 before. We tested up until 2 TB

What HD did you use, and what software to format to FAT32? I have many live concerts this week, and I'd like to do a field test but I can't get my WD passport USB3 drive to work.
I've used several different programs to format, all to no avail.

I formatted an external 500 gig Seagate drive with Fat32Formatter and it works well. Used it for a concert recording the other day...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

14 (edited by mikey_45 2011-04-06 18:37:37)

Dan,

Would very much like to find a drive that works, so I can use my UFX to record live gigs too.  Am glad that yours works, but it doesn't help me much, when I've spent several hours trying to get mine to work with various formatting tools, and it doesn't.  I'm also using Fat32Formatter with my Toshiba 500 GB USB Drive.  Tried formatting it on several different computers.  It is a healthy, active, FAT32, single MBR partition.  Every computer I've tried it on recognizes it.  UFX Firmware Version 125 gave me "Initializing" indefinately.  Vesion 129 gives me "File System Error".  As this is a public pre-release version, am assuming you'd like to believe the code is matured to the point that most folks are not having issues.  As the majority of my USB drives have exactly the same problem, and I'm reading of other people also having problems on this forum, I wonder if that is the case.  I really hope that the fact that your Seagate is working well, isn't preventing your team from further development.  Do you have any suggestions to solve my problem, short of buying new drives until one works?  Will be happy to report detailed results of tests, but was hoping on a little more interaction.

Thanks,
Mike

Update:  I finally found an older Verbatim 500 GB USB Drive that works - formatted (as with my other drives) using Fat32Formatter.  Have noticed that the older drives are the ones that tend to work - the newer ones, in general, are not (for me).

thanks for making the frames in the little screen's buttons darker...much easier to know which one is selected!
I find the .94 version fantastic....

I wanted to delete some files from the computer, and I wasn't able to....then I tried from the UFX, neither...I had to unplug the drive and connect it again....now I can...

I will use it next 15 april in a piano recording....no computer...

16 (edited by gkilsti 2011-04-08 01:12:41)

Well, here are some comments, mostly minor:

1) I like the GR indicator. It's a nice variant and gives you a good idea where your signal is related to your thresholds

2) The Main Out B is a nice feature, but I'd prefer to have the Main output active together with the B instead of just one of them.
    On my analog mixers, output B is just a copy of the main output, with separate volume control if you need an extra output,
    following the main (like with the Link activated).
    I cannot think of any situation where I would want the Main to be muted when I need the Speaker B. Maybe it's only me...
    In my opinion, you don't even need the Speak.B button. Just let the Fader,M and Link (on Speak.B channel) do the work
    and leave the Main channel unaffected.

3) What about putting a Mono button on the tools tab/page on the Speaker B which sums L+R to Mono, like on the Main?
    Then, if you either (whatever is the easiest implementation)
    a) allow LPF/HighCut (shelf, but inverted)  as an alternative on the EQ 1 in addition to HPF/bell
    OR
    b) Allow the EQ 3 freq to go down to 80Hz (Using shelf:LPF, setting gain to -20)
    OR
    c) On ONLY this Speaker B channel, add an alternative to the LoCut on the top of the Eq: HiCut (using same dB/Oct and Freq)
      (Gives best result, but causes the Eq to be different than all the others, which you probably don't like :-)
     we could actually use this as a filtered subwoofer output :)

4) The Cue buttons behaves strangely. First I was not allowed to Cue some of the output channels (Ph.9/10, Ph.11/12, AES).
    Then I restarted TM and then I was not allowed to Cue ANY of the outputs, and I couldn't even activate the Link btn on the Speak.B
    The CPU load is low and have 6 EQs and 1 D active. I've seen this before also. Any requirements for the Cue buttons to work?
    Turned everything off and on several times. Cue/Link buttons change color only while I hold down Mouse button, but will not stay on,
    and nothing is cued at all. What am I doing wrong? Major bug??

5) As mentioned by Zavieri, the Cue of a mono output sends only to Left Main output.

6) I still miss my configured channel/track names on my MCU. Isn't this pretty simple to implement?
    Hope to see it soon :-)

I know you've been focusing a lot on the recording function to be ready for the Messe, and it's getting really good.
Keep up the good work!

I'm just trying to keep you busy when you get back from the Messe :-)

Geir.

I'm not able to use the Rec buttons on my MCU to select output bus any more.
Well, it works in page 3 (output row) where I don't need it, but not in rows 1 (HW inputs) and 2 (Software playback)
This worked previously.

Geir.

18 (edited by gkilsti 2011-04-08 00:52:40)

Wow, my new TMFX just crashed for the first time after a few hours of fiddling...
The only thing I did was to choose Matrix View from the Function menu.
Windows crash-report below.

Next time it didn't crash.

Geir.

-------------------------------------------------------
Program with error: TotalMixFX.exe, version: 0.0.94.0, time: 0x4d99ea45
Modulname with error: ntdll.dll, versjon: 6.1.7600.16695, time: 0x4cc7ab86
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Error displacement: 0x00038db9
Error process-ID: 0x1278
Error programpath: C:\Windows\System32\TotalMixFX.exe
Error modulepath: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll
Rapport-ID: 65e80be1-6170-11e0-8922-90e6ba4e3503

19 (edited by LiveAudio 2011-04-11 19:35:48)

I installed the new update, and now I have more problems than ever.... some are new variations
of old problems,(like incorrect file numbers after you delete files,Another is the delete function still deletes on one push, not two.)  and some are new problems, such as no icons appear in the taskbar when the UFX is connected to USB, so I can't check the settings for the driver info, and I can't launch TotalFX unless I go into win/system32 and do it manually.

I'm leaving for a three day music festival, so I can't elaborate until monday.
Guess I'm not taking the UFX to the festival :-(
Oh well, such is life on the cutting edge...

Update on USB problem 4-11-11 :

>no icons appear in the taskbar when the UFX is connected to USB, so I can't check the settings for the driver info, and I can't launch TotalFX unless I go into win/system32 and do it manually. <

If the UFX is hooked up to the computer via USB, and the computer is then turned on, I have the problems as stated above.
If the UFX is connected to the computer via firewire, and then I turn the computer on, all works well.
Once I boot in this fashion,and I'm running, I can switch from Firewire to USB, and my UFX will run via USB.
The problem seems isolated to when I boot with the UFX connected to USB. I did not have this issue with the prior release.

Other issues:

Is it going to be possible to use USB3 drives. There seems to be a problem with all of them that were tested.

The "help function" in TMFX .94 doesn't work, It just says: "Navigation to webpage canceled"

On the delete function in TMFX .94, it says "do you really wont to delete" instead of "do you really want to delete" :-)

If you record then delete files, any new recorded files are numbered several numbers higher than the file that you deleted.
For example, If you record file 1, and deleted it, the next file recorded is numbered 3 instead of one. If you keep recording and deleting,
this just keeps going on, and the number keeps jumping up by two or three numbers past the last file number that you deleted.

Feedback for TMFX .94: Overall I really like it. Love the record section, love the delete function requester asking if you want to delete,
but you have the same style requester for the "stop record" function. To me, it's not needed for the "Stop Record"
Function. Can that be made to be disabled through preferences?

Is there any way to resize the verticle aspect of Totalmix window under windows, or is it a fixed size ?
I have to run at 960 pixels to get the entire bottom of the totalmix window in.
Horizontal sizing works fine.

Regards.
Mike

gkilsti wrote:

4) The Cue buttons behaves strangely. Cue/Link buttons change color only while I hold down Mouse button, but will not stay on,

We figured it out. Every time you start TM FX the Cue buttons don't work. Switch Record View On/Off and the work. If you change a channel from stereo to mono this channel's Cue is broken again - switch Record View On/Off and it works again. Fix coming.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

21 (edited by Moshiko 2011-04-08 13:16:47)

Hi Matthias,
Found another bug:
When reaching file #99 (UFX99_00.wav), the number does not increment any more nor initialize to 0.
If recording a file, stopping, and recording again:
1. The last one overrides the previous one.
2. If deleting the last ("second") one, the file list combobox on TMFX still show the "first" one - which does not exist any more and also cannot be "deleted" again.

This is partially solved after disconnecting and reconnecting the HD - but then the file number increments by 2 for each record-stop-delete procedure...

Edit:
There is another problem now: After turning UFX off and on, it's always saying "no Media detected", even if I disconnect and reconnect the HD (a led on the HD is on, so the USB port is working).
I have to completely unplug UFX from electricity socket, wait a few seconds and plug it back, so it will detect the HD (or the memory stick) and go to initialization phase.
Is there any way to reset this state?

Thanks and have a great weekend.

MC wrote:
gkilsti wrote:

4) The Cue buttons behaves strangely. Cue/Link buttons change color only while I hold down Mouse button, but will not stay on,

We figured it out. Every time you start TM FX the Cue buttons don't work. Switch Record View On/Off and the work. If you change a channel from stereo to mono this channel's Cue is broken again - switch Record View On/Off and it works again. Fix coming.

Superb! Thanx.

Hello,

I recorded a stereo file, I get digital pops if I move the time slider during playback in the recorder panel of TMFX.

Thanks

i7 Extreme 990X 3.47Ghz, 24GB RAM, Fireface UFX
Nuendo 8, Halion 6, Wavelab 9.5, Izotope RX 6

And it will stay like that.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

25 (edited by mikey_45 2011-04-09 20:03:46)

Did some recording at 96/24 using a Verbatim 500 GB drive.  About 30 minutes, no errors.  Sounds fantastic.  Some minor points:

-  The highlights on the Play, Record, Stop Buttons could stand out more, perhaps a lighter color.
-  When you press on Play, and a song is playing, it should probably stop.  Am thinking the same thing about pressing on Record when a song is recording, but am less certain, as I wouldn't want to inadvertently stop a recording..

Nothing else stuck out.  Was able to arm channels for recording, assign output channels as Main, change sample rate to 96K (apparently it defaults to 24 bit, only), record, play, and manage files, without referring to the User Manual once.  It just plain worked.

If you can get the software less picky about USB drives, I think you have a winner...

26 (edited by frnak 2011-04-13 11:43:43)

MC wrote:

All this can be set up a lot quicker and easier with the new TotalMix FX 0.94. Hit the Record View in the new Recorder panel and arm the channels. Clicking a play button gives a list of the channels present in the current file and allows to select one. The same dialog is used to disable playback (Off).

Just got my UFX, love it so far, been trying out the USB recording feature.

I found a bug in what you said above. Hitting record on the UFX itself is reported back to the Record View in TotalMix, and the timer starts rolling there. But if you do it the other way around, hit record in TotalMix, it starts recording, but the timer and hd status, etc, don't update on the UFX itself. The REC blinks nonetheless.

Also, working on a Macbook Pro 13" screen, TotalMix is an absolute pain to use. The two row view doesn't fit a lot, and the scrolling is really awkward and very...not mac-like. In 3 row view, the last row rolls off the screen.

I would love it if new recordings went into new folders, and actually wrote all the different files to the disk, pull track names from totalmix, not just the one wave file for each 2gb segment. But I guess there are technical reasons behind that.

EDIT: Typo

The basic point here is that we are not willing to compromise  our guis for perfect use on 13" monitors. This is definitely outside of DAW, and we build devices specifically for DAW use.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

28 (edited by frnak 2011-04-13 11:45:09)

MC wrote:

The basic point here is that we are not willing to compromise  our guis for perfect use on 13" monitors. This is definitely outside of DAW, and we build devices specifically for DAW use.

A compromise isn't necessary. If it was built with usable scrolling (scrolling sideways on a touchpad while the mouse is anywhere over a section should scroll it), and draggable and resizable sections would GREATLY improve usability on smaller screen. This would in no way compromise the GUI for bigger screens with more resolution, on the contrary it would enhance it.

EDIT: When I say resizable, I mean resizing it horizontally to show more or fewer channels, not changing the height of the modules and squishing them.

EDIT 2: There are also basic UI elements missing from the design. When a window is bigger than the screen, it should not flow over it, it should instead become scrollable.

29 (edited by bsfreq 2011-04-14 17:53:28)

This is awesome! I've only been reading the firewire series forum so I didn't notice this earlier.

If this works well, I won't have to use my zoom for recording anymore. :-)

Just wondering, why does it only support FAT32 formatted drives?
Would it be difficult or impossible to add support for ntfs or Mac OS X Extended without the file size limitation?

This way you could use the same hdd for other purposes as well. (also for moving large files when needed)

Fireface UFX+ | Fireface UFX | Babyface Pro | 12Mic

Just a small update: during Musikmesse we verified some bugs posted here, found some more, and tested lots of different memory devices. We are now working on the release candidate of firmware and driver, which will have a much improved compatibility (means works with many more sticks/drives that do not work now) and lots of fixes and improvements. We hope to have it released before the end of next week. Stay tuned!

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

31 (edited by dialing_wand 2011-04-14 20:25:20)

Here's to hoping my UFX arrives soon! (So excited - if it wasn't for this feature I'd never give up my FF800 which is the most reliable piece of equipment I've ever owned.)

32 (edited by frnak 2011-04-15 03:07:15)

MC wrote:

Just a small update: during Musikmesse we verified some bugs posted here, found some more, and tested lots of different memory devices. We are now working on the release candidate of firmware and driver, which will have a much improved compatibility (means works with many more sticks/drives that do not work now) and lots of fixes and improvements. We hope to have it released before the end of next week. Stay tuned!

Awesome.

I'm currently on location recording 22 channels onto a 2.5" drive, about a 3 hour show, first real test. Everything working smoothly so far smile

EDIT: Back home now listening, everything went smoothly, I'm amazed by the sound quality, can't wait for future improvements and new features!

33 (edited by bsfreq 2011-04-15 09:31:29)

Hmm. I lost the ability to select the submix with mackie control after installing the new 129 firmware and TMFX 0.94.
I'm using the mac os x release and firewire connection. Also lost half of LcXmu's display feedback. It used to show mutes, recs (the selected submix) and solos etc. for the 8 channels, but now it only shows levels and input names!

Midi control is more important to me than recording via usb, so should I install the older firmware and totalmix again or is there a way to make it work?

(I also noticed that there's a Direct submix selection via Control Change commands for windows and FF 400/800 already available. Is this coming for ufx and mac also? smile
http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=10508

I just bought a "WD my passport essential SE" 1TB 5400rpm hdd for recording with my ufx, but I didn't get to test it yet.. Hopefully I'll soon get to use both mackie control and usb recording succesfully. smile

Fat32 seems to be the easiest way, but Windows and Mac natively support ExFat (Fat64) which is optimised for flash/portable drives and doesn't have limits for file size and have fast erase mechanisms.

As for automatic file splitting:
Maybe add a "cut" button to separate the tracks between songs on live recordings, without stopping and pressing the record again. Have anyone tested if 2GB file splitting doesn't drop any samples?

Question: Does the single USB port have enough current to power spinning 2.5" drives? Some 2.5" drives require more than the 500mA that most computer's USB ports can provide.

MichaelPatrick wrote:

Question: Does the single USB port have enough current to power spinning 2.5" drives? Some 2.5" drives require more than the 500mA that most computer's USB ports can provide.

It works for my 2,5" drive. Some 2,5" enclosures also have a power adapter input for cases where bus power is not enough.

Version 129 only says "file system error" with WD my passport essential SE" 1TB 5400rpm hdd. (never tried with ver 125)
I tried formatting with both macbook pro and windows. (also fat32 formatter)

38 (edited by Moshiko 2011-04-15 12:15:24)

bsfreq wrote:

Version 129 only says "file system error" with WD my passport essential SE" 1TB 5400rpm hdd. (never tried with ver 125)
I tried formatting with both macbook pro and windows. (also fat32 formatter)

Make sure there is no first hidden partition. Some WD drives have this as a virtual cd for the security features.

MC wrote:

Great news, thanks for the update smile

I had a session yesterday, piano, 5 channels, 3 external preamps and 2 preamps of the UFX. At the beginning I was thinking of leaving the computer home, but just to be safe I took it to the session, so I recorded to the computer and at the same time to a 2,5 hard drive, "my passport essential WD" 320 G.

Everything went fine till I reached the take number 99

From then on, the UFX wouldn´t record any more to the WD drive.

Luckily I had my computer running! and We ended up with 120 takes....so, I could backup only 99 of them through the UFX.

Is this behavior normal? Is there some file limit in the recording function?

Thanks!

Hi All,

Couple things: I recorded a single stereo pair to a seagate FreeAgent Go (1TB) drive and decided just to let it go, ran it for nearly week recording. smile
Ran fine, 3%, No errors. The files played fine.

Just purchased another Seagate Freegent GoFlex (320Gb), decided to arm all 60 tracks. Its running at 65% but with 12 errors so far.
Formatted it with GUIFormat and 32k cluster size.

My question is where do the errors come from and what do they mean to me as far as my recording goes? Are the errors corrected? Does this
mean that the recorded files are going to be corrupted in some way? Or will the end files still be ok?

Thanks as always,
Chip Borton

copilcos wrote:

Luckily I had my computer running! and We ended up with 120 takes....so, I could backup only 99 of them through the UFX.

Yes, 99 is the limit and simply said you use it the wrong way. As there are no comments possible nor meaningful file names nobody can use 99 files of one session - because you have no clue where to search and what is what. So you should have either deleted the really bad takes immediately or just let the recording run. That is the main way to use it. If continously running there is no (sub number) file limit.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

cobiashimew wrote:

Just purchased another Seagate Freegent GoFlex (320Gb), decided to arm all 60 tracks. Its running at 65% but with 12 errors so far. Formatted it with GUIFormat and 32k cluster size.

My question is where do the errors come from and what do they mean to me as far as my recording goes? Are the errors corrected? Does this
mean that the recorded files are going to be corrupted in some way?

The errors come from a too long time that is needed to transfer the data to the drive. Have a look at the write time which most probably was more than 400 ms. And yes, the files then will have drop outs.

I am astonished that this drive performs so bad. I have a Go Flex myself, 500 GB, and get 100 ms with 0 errors. But on the other hand you will never record 60 channels so it will work when used in a real world application.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks,

The max write time is from 95ms to 100 ms. Its been running now for 2 hours and no more errors beyond the original 12.
Seems like they must have come all at once somehow.
No more errors since ... hmmm
No, I would never try 60 tracks in real life. I just thought I would stress it a bit to see.

Also , what is RME's official stance on recording to the UFX drive and simultaneously recording to a DAW via the rear USB connector?

Ok, maybe with the next firmware these errors are gone then. The front recording is independent from the DAW interface operation except for the current sample rate.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks for the reply, Awsome! Looks like you all had a great time at  Musikmesse.

46 (edited by copilcos 2011-04-15 20:05:35)

MC wrote:
copilcos wrote:

Yes, 99 is the limit and simply said you use it the wrong way. As there are no comments possible nor meaningful file names nobody can use 99 files of one session - because you have no clue where to search and what is what. So you should have either deleted the really bad takes immediately or just let the recording run. That is the main way to use it. If continously running there is no (sub number) file limit.

I understand, better is to let it record...and have it as a back up or divide the entire session in two or three big files right?

You are right, now when I want to review the files I don´t know where to start ;-) but well...it was my first official and long session...thats why I took my computer with me...so to feel safe...but next time I know what to do...

Thanks Matthias, very clear as allways....

Now I don't have the unit yet so am shooting in the dark, but is it possible to add an update in the firmware such that markers can be added to files while recording? It could simply be a button to create a marker in the broadcast wave header or something like that? Most of my post production tools (Logic, PT, iZotope RX Advanced) can read markers in WAV files and they can really help when you're doing location recording with limited takes.

Just a suggestion.

Thanks MC for being so open to how people might use the front-panel recording. It really is quite the amazing feature!

There is no broadcast wave header and there will be no markers. That is not possible with the existing resources.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

49 (edited by cobiashimew 2011-04-15 23:02:13)

cobiashimew wrote:

Just purchased another Seagate Freegent GoFlex (320Gb), decided to arm all 60 tracks. Its running at 65% but with 12 errors so far. Formatted it with GUIFormat and 32k cluster size.

mean that the recorded files are going to be corrupted in some way?

The errors come from a too long time that is needed to transfer the data to the drive. Have a look at the write time which most probably was more than 400 ms. And yes, the files then will have drop outs.

After looking at the resulting wav's in Nuendo, All the errors occurred right at the beginning of the recording, big dropping/clipping in the first
few milliseconds of the recording, all fine after that. Hope this helps.

That might be a problem wth the drive starting to spin up. We check again with our current internal firmware, thanks.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME