Topic: Distort sound with Fireface UC, Mac

Hello.

just got my Fireface UC. Work great with my Pc, but with my Macbook Pro late 2008 I can get distorted sound on playback. Then I have to restart the computer to get it work again. I searched about this problem and found a thread that it is a problem(back then) with fireface uc and VmWare Fusion 2. Fusions own driver. Is that still the problem? If it is, how do i uninstall the fusion driver? or will there be a new driver that fixes this problem?

Thanks.

Re: Distort sound with Fireface UC, Mac

Bump

I'm experiencing distortion too with a MacBook Pro mid 2009.It happens in different softwares like Live and NI Kore.
I sometimes got it running again by switching the UC off and on but most of the time I have to shut the computer as well.
Very big problem as I have to do live performances soon so it looks like I'll be forced to get rid of the UC.....anybody experiencing this?

hello,

I am experiencing similar problem with a FireFace400-UC on a MacBookPro with OSX 10.6.4 bought in april 2010.
Anyone found a solution ?
Rebooting either soundcard and/or computer doesn't work for me... sad
Here is what I experienced and sent to RME support (no response from them so far) :

//////////// mail #1

I have trouble with a RME-fireface400 UC that I bought recently (new).
I have installed the lastest drivers and did firmware update.
Soundboard is detected correctly but produces awfull noisy/crunchy sound, somehow as if sample rates or clock would not match, plus some ~8Hz crunchy beating frequency.
I tried with the following software, always getting the same dirty result :
- Ableton Live
- Cycling74' Max5
- Audacity
- Quicktime / iTunes

Here are my system information :
- MaxBookPro 2.8Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
- Memory : 4Go 1067 MHz DDR3
- OSX 10.6.5

//////////// mail #2

To give you a more precise idea of what my problem *sounds like*, here is a 8s audio example of what Igor Stravinsky's "Italian Suite Introduction" sounds like when played through my RME fireface 400 UC.
I searched in web-forums to find a hint on what the problem can be, but I really can't find anything wrong in my setup.

NB : I uploaded the sound on this link : Igor Stravinsky throuh Fireface UC so that forum users can listen to what the trouble sounds like...

//////////// mail #3

OK, I went back to the soundcard reseller yesterday and we ran tests for more than a hour.

- On a MacPro OSX 10.5.4 with Digidesign driver installed
First we tried to install the fireface-UC on a MacPro with OSX 10.5.4, the card was merely not recognized by the audio system.
Device was correctly showing in the USB devices in the system information panel, but not appearing in the sound configuration panel (in Preferences)
along with built-in device.
According to the tech guy in the shop, this could be due to (quote) "the presence of Digidesign driver that fuck the sytem"

So we tried on another MacPro with 0SX 10.5.4
And here, the fireface UC appeared correctly after we installed the driver and the sound was good.

So... I am happy that the hardware seems OK, but I still have the trouble on my MacBookPro, as the sound is very noisy (as I sent you an audio example in my previous email) while I play with exact same settings as we did in the reseller shop.

The only differences I can see are :
- computer is a MacBookPro, not a MacPro
- system version is OSX 10.6.5 (aka Snow Leopard),  not 10.5.4 (aka Leopard)

Do you think of anything else that could be wrong ?
Did you perform tests on a similar computer + system ?
Did you encounter any problem like that ?

Thanks in advance for any hint, please do help me (!!!), et do not hesitate to ask for more info if you need it.

Problem is: When I encountered the behavior on my 2008 MBP (same hardware as 2009 ones) with Leopard it not only affected the UC, but also the NI Kore 1 interface. So the moment the sound gets broken it seems as if isochronous USB transfer itself get broken (other USB devices do not suffer).

I cannot say anymore if the Kore on its own did the same though, or if it only was affected once the UC went down.

There always has been the suspicion that the combination of having Parallels or VMware installed is the culprit (these link themselves with the OS X USB driver even when not running). I now use a 2010 MBP (Intel chipset instead of NVidia) and could do tests both with and without Parallels installed, but unfortunately I lack the time atm.

Timur wrote:

Problem is: When I encountered the behavior on my 2008 MBP (same hardware as 2009 ones) with Leopard it not only affected the UC, but also the NI Kore 1 interface. So the moment the sound gets broken it seems as if isochronous USB transfer itself get broken (other USB devices do not suffer).

I do not have any NI instrument, so I cannot tell anything on this point.
But yes, what I hear (and you can hear in the audio example posted above) could be something like broken USB transfer.

Timur wrote:

There always has been the suspicion that the combination of having Parallels or VMware installed is the culprit

I do not have any VMware installed, so it is probably not the culprit (or say, not the *only* culprit).

---

Some new things since my previous post, I manually removed the Fireface driver by following these instructions : http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=9233.

Then re-installed the lastest drivers, and magic, the sound was OK when I played some MP3 through VLC.
I did a test on the 6 analog audio output with Max/MSP audiotester, and sound was fine.

Then I launched Ableton Live and  try to play a (light) session (no RAM/disk overload to accuse), and I encountered some ~8 Hz glitchy clicks.

These clicks were not due to Live, as they appeared as well in any other audio app I would use at the same time.

I had to switch OFF, then ON the Fireface to get a clean sound back.

Here's where I am at, for now. Some things better but I'm still far from being confident to use the Fireface for a live performance...

If anyone find the nasty bits causing all these troubles, please scream it loud around here.

Well, at the moment the common denominator seems to be Ableton Live then. Remember that once you start Live the audio buffers of the UC are changed to whatever you have setup in Live's preferences. And from there the same setting applies to *all* audio applications using the same device (UC).

Try installing Soundflower, Port Audio or Jack and put it in between Live and the UC. Does that help?

Since the clicks I mentionned in earlier post (that disappeared after setting OFF/ON the fireface), I had no further trouble until now. I hope this will last and I will jump back on this list if any new information on this topic.

That is a good point that you mention, Timur, that settings such as audio buffer length but also samping rate, and maybe some other soft/hardware settings are modified by Live (but no only). I am not sure what caused the trouble,  but I'll keep an eye on this if the problem happen again.

Thanks a lot anyway for your help and tips.

Still cannot find the exact steps to reproduce to get the distorded signal (though it still happens occasionally), but noticed a problem which might be something different.
When the MacBookPro goes to sleeping mode, I cannot get the sound right when I wake it up later. Even if I quit all softwares and relaunch them, even if I unplug the Fireface-UC, switch if off and replug it. Sound is still bad.  It is distorded as I mentionned in previous posts, but there seems to be like a low frequency feedback, something like fast echoes (~10Hz) decaying quickly.

You can listen an audio example here : SoundTest-RMEFireface-UC . The audio consists in 4 pulses of a 1000Hz sine signal at -20dB, first rendered to disk from the software, then recorded at the Line output 1/2 of the Fireface UC (with gain 0dB).

My main problem is that to get rid of this problem, I have to reboot the computer (and of course the audio software and sessions), which takes quite some time and gets me mad.

Any help / hint would be much appreciated !

Bumping on same topic again....

I have a question that would maybe save me some time, while the problem has not been fixed with the drivers :
is it possible to reboot the RME drivers *without* rebooting the computer ?

I tried the following command found on this forum :
sudo kill -9 `ps ax|grep 'coreaudio[a-z]' |awk '{print $1}'`
which seems to kill (and automatically reboot, i guess) CoreAudio driver, but it doesn't seem to addect the Fireface drivers.

Switching on/off and unplug/replug the sound card doesn't help either.

Not rebooting the computer would still save some time when the problem occurs...

RME developpers :  please !

Same Problem here. Thinking about switching to babyface. Does anyone know if there's the same problem?

i have the same problem here...

...quite annoying...

A utility to reset the drivers etc. would be great - just as long as we didn't need to reboot the MAC to get everything working after every unplugging

/br

13 (edited by gtodd876 2011-02-27 01:56:17)

I also have this problem if my Macbook pro goes to sleep but it's not that big of a deal because I can restart the computer or set the computer to never sleep since I use this computer for DAW, live performance only.

The big deal for me is that, in addition to one of the previous posters, I also get really random glitchy audio snippets in my audio. This ruins any chance of using the Fireface UC for live performance (the reason I bought it) At first I thought it was the software I'm using but now it has happened in Logic, Mainstage, Ableton Live and Reaper. This is with buffer settings from 64 samples all the way up to 1024 samples (when monitoring the direct signal though Total mix) I cannot seem to reproduce it and it happens only randomly. If I didn't want to use the RME fireface UC for live performance it would not be that bad because I could just record another take but I don't want to melt the audience's ears with random bursts of synth/glitch/crunch sounds with no way to predict when they happen.

Something is going on here because it seems the previous posters have one of the i5/i7 Macbook pros from around April 2010. I wonder if that is just coincidence or not? Maybe this could be an issue with USB on these laptops??

I have airport disabled.
I have bluetooth disabled.
I am OSX 10.6.5
I have 4 gigs of ram
i7 2.66 ghz CPU Macbook pro April 2010
200g OWC SSD
This is an audio only computer, only audio software and plug-ins are installed nothing else.

I hope there ends up being a solution to this or I'm going to have to sell it, take a big loss, and keep searching for an interface with more stability for my setup.

Is there a utility like Latency Monitor or DPC checker for Mac? I would put in the time to troubleshoot this problem if I knew how.

www.toddbass.com
Macbook pro i7 15" (mid 2012) 8 gigs ram, Fireface UCX

14 (edited by oblique strategies 2011-03-16 03:57:06)

gtodd876 wrote:

The big deal for me is that, in addition to one of the previous posters, I also get really random glitchy audio snippets in my audio.

Take a look in the Console application- Do a search in All Messages for: IOAudioStream

Then look for an error message that contains: IOAudioStream - Error: attempting to clip to a position more than one buffer ahead of last clip position

Look in the Console immediately after a dropout/glitch & you'll probably see this error message occurring at the same time as the glitch.

I'm having the same dropout/glitch problem which are associated with these error messages. I'm going to contact Apple & report back. My next test will be using the built-in MacBook Pro audio output to see if I have the same dropouts.

Does anyone in RME support have any info regarding these IOAudioStream errors?

Thank you Oblique Strategies!!!!

I will log these errors and send them to Apple and RME as well. It's great to know there is something I can do to help troubleshoot this now.

-Todd Matthews

www.toddbass.com

Yep it happened during my practice this morning and lo and behold:

2/28/11 8:20:53 AM    kernel    IOAudioStream[0x94a6100]::clipIfNecessary() - Error: attempting to clip to a position more than one buffer ahead of last clip position (1d7,6e8)->(1d9,678).
2/28/11 8:20:53 AM    kernel    IOAudioStream[0x94a6100]::clipIfNecessary() - adjusting clipped position to (1d8,6e8)

I will try using my rme standalone and using the outs to go into the macbook pro's audio in so I can keep my setup yet use the built in audio. I'll let you know what I find.

www.toddbass.com

same problem here with my new babyface!!! I have to log off or to shot down My Mac Pro everytime this damn problem with distorted sound comes. I have a mac pro 8 core with 12 GB Ram and use it only in my studio setup. Bevor I get my Babyface I had the HDSPe AIO that I sold now and there was this problem also with it.

And one of the most annoying problems is everytime I load Programs up like Cubase, NI Maschine or Logic, the Output Level on my Babyface gets on Max Volume automaticly !!!! If I don't remember to set the level always down after loading an Audio Application up I everytime get F**ing shocked by this maximum Volume Level!!

So please RME GUYS HELP us here!! Nice to know that I'm not the only one with this Problem.

18 (edited by gtodd876 2011-03-03 18:14:32)

@Oblique Strategies- Here is a recent quote from Tim Exile saying that he can't use his Macbook pro i7 for live performance because he can't get around the CPU Speedstepping. He uses a Macbook white and uses coolbook software to disable speedstepping.

I've got a white MB and an MBP 15" with the i7 chip, the one you're thinking of getting. Still using the white MB live as the MBP has problems with speedstepping and causes Reaktor to glitch. I'm sure there's a way round it though but haven't found it yet...

My little MB is still super fast after 3 year's service now (it's a 2.2 Core Duo). So maybe you don't need to spend that much...

www.toddbass.com

tschawo22 wrote:

And one of the most annoying problems bla bla

You got a reply already:

http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=10105

Post 16.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

morten@pda.dk wrote:

i have the same problem here...

...quite annoying...

A utility to reset the drivers etc. would be great - just as long as we didn't need to reboot the MAC to get everything working after every unplugging

/br

I have also raised this issue, but from what I know, it has been with certain macs for some years. I think the issue was confirmed, but no solution so far. It is really annoying.

I've had a great experience tonight so far. No glitches, using Reaper at 14 samples with Valhala Shimmer(reverb) insert effect !!! I don't understand then why I have issues at 128 except that maybe it's an issue with Apple's Mainstage software. Really enjoying Reaper! Finally getting to experience Fireface UC in all it's glory.

www.toddbass.com

oblique strategies wrote:
gtodd876 wrote:

The big deal for me is that, in addition to one of the previous posters, I also get really random glitchy audio snippets in my audio.

Take a look in the Console application- Do a search in All Messages for: IOAudioStream

Then look for an error message that contains: IOAudioStream - Error: attempting to clip to a position more than one buffer ahead of last clip position

Look in the Console immediately after a dropout/glitch & you'll probably see this error message occurring at the same time as the glitch.

I'm having the same dropout/glitch problem which are associated with these error messages. I'm going to contact Apple & report back. My next test will be using the built-in MacBook Pro audio output to see if I have the same dropouts.

I have a 2011 MacBook Pro.
I get a distorted sound and all sounds are slowed down.
A reboot doesn't help.
after i reinstall the driver everything works fine for a certain time.

"Does anyone in RME support have any info regarding these IOAudioStream errors?"

Oblique Strategies,

Maybe we should start another thread. I feel like we're invisible.

www.toddbass.com

25 (edited by oblique strategies 2011-04-09 23:14:41)

gtodd876,
I have yet to call Apple about it, but will be doing so ASAP. Apologies for the lag. I will post my findings here.

Once we get a bit more data about the IOAudioStream errors & the resultant dropout/glitches we can consider making a new post that specifically outlines the issue & hopefully solution wink

In the meantime a response from RME would be quite welcome.

We did a global check of the current Mac performance on all our 6 Macs in the lab and did not find anything unusal. Therefore we have written a small monitoring tool for the hardware's playback FIFO, working with the Babyface and Fireface UC. A typical display for a simple iTunes playback at 44.1 kHz would be

Fireface UC test
Samples in Out FIFO:
MIN:  6
MAX: 7

At 96 kHz you would see MIN: 12 and MAX: 13

If the playback is disturbed you might see completely different values. Please check it out.

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/Fi … C_Test.zip

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thank you , MC. Downloading now.

www.toddbass.com

28 (edited by bbred 2011-03-20 11:39:21)

Hello. I have the same problem with my new Babyface on Mackbook Pro 2009. OSX: 10.6.6. Firmware: 179. Drivers: 1.50.
It sounds the same as two samples above. In my case the problem appears when i unplug USB cable, then plug it again. Reboot helps to put things right.
Fireface_UC_Test shows the same min:6 max:7 at 44100 when sound is distorted and when everything is ok.
On Vaio-Z with Windows 7 x64 have no issues by the time.

p.s.I'd be glad to help with beta-testing this issue.

I think some people may find this thread interesting that have been having trouble with the i5/i7 macbook pros.

http://www.native-instruments.com/forum … p?t=133204

www.toddbass.com

I also did the same thing as bbred did with the exact setup as bbred has: macbook pro 2009, 10.6.6 1.79, 1.50.
The problem with my Babyface--the distorted sound when it is unpluged and plugged back in--continues. And the "Fireface_UC_Test" shows no change with or without the problem: min-6, max-7 at 44100.

@MC: Are you and RME aware of this issue? Are you working on it to resolve this issue?

Sure. Fact is with our MacBooks we can plug and unplug as wild as we want - it always works perfectly. We even mistreat it as if the cable is loose and even put the Book to sleep during this state - no problem at all (in fact ExpressCard or FW would have been crashed during these test already, we think). It's just super stable.

There is definitely something wrong with your MacBook. The unchanged numbers for the FIFO already points out that the hardware transmits the data correctly and without unusual stress. We now try to find out where the distortion excactly occurs.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Something must characterize us/the macbooks  with the fault - we're evidently a few across the world with the same issue smile

...i wouldn't mind having to run a script or something, as long as I didn't have to reboot!

Otherwise - the sound is GREAT from my new fireface uc!

br

33 (edited by gtodd876 2011-03-21 20:43:00)

I just had the audio glitch happen again while practicing my live set in Mainstage. Using 128 sample buffer. Bluetooth, airport are turned off. CPU @ 20% usage.

I now caught the exact console message that accompanied the glitch: 

3/21/11 2:45:13 PM    kernel    OAudioStream[0x796b800]::clipIfNecessary() - adjusting clipped position to (6ae5,69a)
3/21/11 2:45:13 PM    kernel    IOAudioStream[0x796bb00]::clipIfNecessary() - Error: attempting to clip to a position more than one buffer ahead of last clip position (6ae4,69a)->(6ae6,5ff).
3/21/11 2:45:13 PM    kernel    IOAudioStream[0x796bb00]::clipIfNecessary() - adjusting clipped position to (6ae5,69a)

This is also with my latest troubleshooting of disabling 1 core and hyper-threading that I linked to earlier as suggested by Tim Exile.

The min/max sample in Fireface test stayed at 6, and 7 samples respectively as this audio glitch presented itself.

Any ideas on what to try next???

Specs for repeated convenience:
(mid 2010) Macbook pro i7 17" , 4 gigs ram, 2X SSD 200g
Fireface UC

www.toddbass.com

I get the problem everytime i switch the soundcard from one mac to another.

gtodd876 wrote:

(mid 2010) Macbook pro i7 17" , 4 gigs ram, 2X SSD 200g
Fireface UC

What happens when you remove the second SSD (DVD bay) or connect an active Firewire device (HD) to the Mac?

I should have tried that before I made the Win7 bootcamp partition:)

I did end up removing the second HD because I couldn't install Windows from the external dvd drive. I also put that drive in an external case and now have that second hard drive hooked up to the firewire 800 port. So it would be easy to test it out now and see if it makes a difference in OSX.

If it does solve the problems, it'll be pretty funny that I just spent 24 hours going through the process of setting up windows 7 on the MBP but I guess either way it's good to keep my IT skills healthy and I learned a lot.

www.toddbass.com

I also have the distortion problem on my new 2011 MBP. Tried firmware and driver updates, wiping the computer and nothing worked. I always get distorted playback and nothing from output 1. I did however boot my old macbook (where fireface uc works fine) from the new mbp HD, plugged the fireface into the new mbp and playback seemed to work fine. My new mbp however won't boot from external drives.

I tried running the fireface uc test but my values stay at zero upon playback.

So you're saying only certain mbp's are faulty? Should I just return mine and ask for a new one?  or go for pc?

How did you "boot your old MacBook" (and what model is it)? Did you put the new hd into the old one or did you boot from the old ones installation? Or did you boot from the new ones installation on the old Macbook via FireWire connection to the new one?

it's a mid or late 2007 white macbook and all I did was connect the two via firewire 800-400 cable, then started the mbp in target disk mode holding t down, and then started the macbook while holding option down to access the other computer's hard disk.

So you used the new MBP as external harddrive for the old MB via Firewire, effectively running the old MB with the new installation. That part I understand.

But how did you then connect the UC to the new MBP while running the old MB ("plugged the fireface into the new mbp and playback seemed to work fine")? Does Target Disk mode allow USB ports of the new MBP to be shared with the old MB (not that I know of, but I never tried)?

Or did you mean that you connected the UC to the old MB while running from the new MBP's drive?

Hi Timur,

sorry for the confusion. I actually just tried it again and I connected the UC to the old MB while running the new MBP's drive and still got distortion! so now I'm more confused than ever. With ths setup I also tried connecting the UC to the MBP but it didn't see it...

Ok I finally got rid of the distortion, I tried reinstalling the updated firmware again and now everything seems to be working fine. Jeff Petersen at Synthax was very helpful.

43 (edited by oblique strategies 2011-04-09 23:21:42)

1st call to Apple regarding IOAudioStream Errors:

The tech I spoke with also did computer music. He thinks it's the RME driver. He also said "not enough time in milliseconds for buffering, so the sound drops out."

I will be calling back to speak with an uber-tech (if possible), to get more detailed info.

IOAudioStream Error example:
1/2/11 5:43:41 PM    kernel    IOAudioStream[0x8f0ac00]::clipIfNecessary() - Error: attempting to clip to a position more than one buffer ahead of last clip position (7951,277)->(7954,68c).

The tech I spoke with also did computer music. He thinks it's the RME driver. He also said "not enough time in milliseconds for buffering, so the sound drops out."

The obvious solution to that would be to increase buffer size, but that would not indicate a driver issue IMHO.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

I don't like raising my buffer above 128 samples and that is the reason I purchased the Fireface UC for low latency. I was operating on a much weaker, older computer at 128 samples with a MOTU ultralite as my first interface/computer combo 5-6 years ago. So even though I bought a much more expensive computer and audio interface nothing has changed for me in a latency sense......in OSX land that is.

So far I have been having great performance on the same laptop, same software, same setup bootcamped in Windows7. I'm using 64 samples without problems. I did a lot of tweaking. It's pain in the butt to have to use Windows and OSX but at least I'm finally getting what I consider low latency. I still hope that one day this performance can be had on OSX as well with the dual core i7 MBP. Any theories on why I'm getting better performance on Windows?

www.toddbass.com

46 (edited by oblique strategies 2011-04-11 00:11:11)

Just to clarify my particular issue:
The drop outs I am experiencing are not like those I have typically experienced due to the buffer settings manually set too low. When I have experimented with buffer settings I usually get more than one dropout per session.

The problem I have is that I am getting ONE highly noticeable dropout per session. Fortunately, this is not occurring every time I use the FFUC, but quite often.

I can get this after running Live for hours, or only a few minutes after launching Live. I also can get these with the most minimal session possible: one soundfile (a pre-recorded song) playing. No plugins, no midi, etc.

So while it may indeed be my buffer settings, I don't recall ever getting drop outs with any other audio I/O with buffer settings as high as 512 samples. I've used a Multiface with both PCMCIA & Expresscard interfaces & had better latency.

Also, I do not get these dropouts with iTunes, QuickTime, or the DVD Player, so Ableton is certainly a possible culprit.

I have seen the performance & stability of my FFUC improve with almost each driver update. Hence, I conclude that it can continue to improve with subsequent, better drivers from RME. When's the next one due? cool

47 (edited by Timur 2011-04-10 11:04:03)

Download Reaper and compare. Live alone is not trustworthy enough for conclusions. Additionally Live on OS X is very prone to CPU powersaving features (Speedstep etc).

I can play up to 22 tracks at 32 samples via HDSPe with Live 8 on Windows (using realtime priority), but only 8 on OS X.

Back when I compared Live 7 on Win vs. OS X the difference was around 20% though. So something changed to the worse (Live, OS X or RME driver).

I'll download Reaper & test it out.

Which do you suggest for my purposes:
OS X Intel (7.9MB DMG)
OS X 64-bit Intel (9.2MB DMG) beta

I am running at 64-bit, but don't really want to be a beta-tester!

49 (edited by Timur 2011-04-11 10:28:11)

gtodd876 wrote:

I still hope that one day this performance can be had on OSX as well with the dual core i7 MBP. Any theories on why I'm getting better performance on Windows?

If you are using Service Pack 1 in combination with the "High Performance" power-profile Windows keeps the CPU clock at *maximum* (effectively no Speedstep, although in practice it's a bit more complex), only Core Parking remains active. And if you are producing quite constant load Core Parking shouldn't be much of a problem either.

Also OS X is likely more aggressive with its power-saving than Windows in order to achieve Apple's advertisement goals for battery life. With the 2008/09 models I found a way to completely disable all CPU power-saving, but with the i5/i7 I did not (yet).

Last but not least it depends on the software you are using, Ableton Live always performed better for me on Windows and Reaper could likely be the same (originally coming from Windows and suffering from several instabilities on OS X in the past).

Did you try OS X since removing the HD?

Which do you suggest for my purposes:
OS X Intel (7.9MB DMG)
OS X 64-bit Intel (9.2MB DMG) beta

I am running at 64-bit, but don't really want to be a beta-tester!

Then use the 32-bit version, since you wont need much RAM just for testing anyway. I found Reaper not to be the most stable host for external plugins (VST/AU) but was told it got better in more recent releases.