Topic: Cracking sound from Babyface (clocking problem?)

Hi,

This occurs more often than not: when i unplug the Babyface from the USB, and put it back again after a few hours later, I get cracking noise when I play sounds, which sounds like clocking issues. Restarting the mac solves the problem, but I wonder this is a bug.
Shouldn't it work without the restart?

If I unplug and plug it again shortly after, the Babyface works perfectly fine.

Macbook Pro mid-2009 2.53Mhz; Mac Os X 10.6.6
The driver and firmware for the Babyface are current (v177/v.149).

Re: Cracking sound from Babyface (clocking problem?)

I´ve seen the same on a 2009 Macbook Pro 17, but it works perfect on a Macbook 17 Mid 2010 with the same - cloned - operating system and drivers. So I think it´s based on the special hardware configuration of previous Macbooks. Probably in connection with an installed VMware/Parallels.

best regards
Knut

In fact, I do have a VMware Fusion installed on my macbook pro. But is there anyway that this will be addressed from RME?

J.

I have the exact same problem with my MacBook pro form september 2009.

Have anyone found a solution on this problem????

-SAC

The problem still exists after the update of the most-recent driver.
Having to restart every time I disconnect BF and try to reconnect it later is getting silly.

J.

Yeah, I think this is a big problem!

Really beginning to hate the babyface for that already, and I bought it last week!

-SAC

I don't have this problem, but I am using Windows.

SAC: Have you installed a Parallel or VMWare on your macbook pro?

J.

I dont think so... What is that? Is it like a Virtual Windows?
I have a bootcamp with Windows.

-SAC

Well, that seems to be the same problem as with the Fireface UC.
I thought it might have been solved with the babyface. I was going to dump the Fireface and get a babyface. But now I'll check for other interfaces.

i have a cracking problem on my babyface, when i run "Spotify", a free streaming musicprogram. it comes from time to time only when using that program.

i have a macbook pro 2010 model.

I have that problem in everything! Logic, Itunes, youtube etc, Spotify.... every sound source that playing through the babyface.

I can´t live with this problem, so if they don´t came with a fix, I will deliver it back to the seller and get something else.

i have a cracking problem on my babyface, when i run "Spotify", a free streaming musicprogram. it comes from time to time only when using that program.

This is a different problem. Probably caused by missing buffers in the audio stream. The wakeup distortion problem appears on some older - pre 2010 - Macbooks with installed VMWare or Parallels USB drivers on Mac OSX. It affects not Windows on Bootcamp.

best regards
Knut

I should find out a way to de-install that VMWare USB drivers because I don't use any USB thing on the VMWare.

Does anyone know how?

j.

same problem here with my new babyface!!! I have to log off or to shot down My Mac Pro everytime this damn problem with distorted sound comes. I have a mac pro 8 core with 12 GB Ram and use it only in my studio setup. Bevor I get my Babyface I had the HDSPe AIO that I sold now and there was this problem also with it.

And one of the most annoying problems is everytime I load Programs up like Cubase, NI Maschine or Logic, the Output Level on my Babyface gets on Max Volume automaticly !!!! If I don't remember to set the level always down after loading an Audio Application up I everytime get F**ing shocked by this maximum Volume Level!!

So please RME GUYS HELP us here!! Nice to know that I'm not the only one with this Problem. And I have no VM Ware, No Parallels, No Bootcamp or Windows or something like that.. What should we do??

We are on firmware 179, which includes an important change in the USB core. This one might affect the 'bad sound after sleep' effect. Please try that one (and driver 1.50).

tschawo22: http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4878

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Mine is up-to-dated with the firmware 179 and the driver 1.50. Still gives me the cracking sound...

J.

I have the clocking problems too. Win XP and only does while i'm using more apps at the same time, and only non-ASIO, like Foobar2000, Media Player, Chrome etc. If i stop play in all those app or close them and reopen, it works again. I tried to route them through ADAT channels and back to main out, still the same. To describe the problem more exactly, the sound get out of sync or most of the time plays like 2-3 times faster. Meanwhile ASIO is rock solid, it doesn't get affected, it's on AN1/2.

with only empirical knowledge, ive stopped trying to send stuff from other than DAW into soundcards. just causes a shitload of trouble. all other, spotify or browser quicktime etc goes out in 3,5 mm phones. a bit annoying though.

fije wrote:

i have a macbook pro 2010 model.

20 (edited by yop53 2011-04-11 13:44:21)

Just found this thread, I think my probleme is similar :
http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=10840

Has a solution been found?

:-)

I had the issue on a 2008 Macbook Pro running Leopard (which is virtually identical to the 2009 ones). When it happened it also affected my NI Kore 1 audio-interface, so I assume that any USB audio-interface would be from that point on. Only restarting the Mac helped. All non-audio relation USB functions kept working (Midi, mouse, etc).

The reason why we suspected Parallels/VMware in the past is that the few people who reported it (including me) had that installed at some point (even if it may have been uninstalled it often leaves its kext system files on your system).

Additionally Apple published change-notes about the OS X 10.6.6 *Beta* stating fixes for exactly this configuration of USB with VMware/Parallels. If these changes made their way into the release is unknown though (nothing mentioned in the change-log of the release).

One problem with getting to the core of the problem is that different people seem to be talking about different issues. One user found that reflashing his firmware (with the same version he thought to already have flashed) helped: http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic … 837#p53837

Since I still have the Leopard installation around I could try to run it on my current 2010 MBP to see if it's related to the installation or to the hardware. But knowing that the 2008/09 Unibody Macs were "lemons" (I had mine replaced 2 times, plus 2 replaced Logic Boards) I tend to suspect the Macs more than software setup.

22 (edited by yop53 2011-04-14 08:38:35)

Hi Timur,

I re-flashed the firmware, but the problem still there.

P.S. No VWmare installed for me.

Maybe this one helps:

http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic … 290#p54290

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

OMG! :-O It works! I just updated both, restarted the computer, plugged the BF, unplugged it, and plugged it back to listen for the usual cracking sound. It's gone now, and I am one happy camper!!rotfl

J.

Oh, s¢¢t, no it's not working. I just plugged the BF back, and it's crackling like a hell...

J.