Topic: Babyface power supply

I'm the proud owner of a Fireface UC and I consider to buy the Babyface as well ... mainly due to its portability, the new TotalMix FX, better DACs (!), and its straight-forward user concept. However, I have a couple of questions for the RME team concerning the supply of power to both units. The questions can be answered by a simple YES or NO. ;-)

1.) The Babyface will be USB-powered and to this end RME will provide a special "double USB cable" (data from one bus, power from both; i.e. 5 W instead of 2.5 W) in a addition to the normal power supply.
a.) Is there any sacrifice in AD/DA-performance when using the USB power (e.g. arising from USB voltage fluctuations, stability?)?
b.) Is it possible to use the Babyface with a single (normal) USB cable instead of the double USB cable (e.g. when there is no need for mic phantom power)?
c.) Am I right in the assumption that the Fireface UC cannot be USB-powered even with the RME double USB connection?

2.) A good idea (at least for me and my MacBook Pro) could be to abuse the FW port (8 to 33 V DC, 1.5 A, max. 48 W) to simply provide the required power.
a.) Would idea this work for the Babyface?
b.) Would this also work for the Fireface UC?
c.) Is such a cable (FW 800 or FW 400 to 12 V DC plug) available on the market?
d.) Could RME provide such a cable as accessory or instead of the included Babyface power supply?

I know that I posted a lot of questions but they are relevant for all customers. Thanks for your help and support!!

Re: Babyface power supply

Sorry, there will no power supply included - but it is available as an optional addition. The Babyface gets enough power with a simple USB cable - at least on our tested systems. The double cable ensures an overall compatibility. This will answer most of your questions.

The UC can not be powered from one or two USB ports - it?s not part of the technical design. A Firewire to power adapter could work for both interfaces, but we did not tested it yet

best regards
Knut

Do I read this correctly - that the Babyface has no separate power socket, and that dc power is only supplied via the USB connector?  And the external power supply voltage must be 5.0V ? 0.5V.

Does this mean a special USB cable is needed if power is to be supplied other than from the host computer.  Is this also 'optional'?

De gustibus - et sonus - non est disputandum

Babyface has a power socket, but the external PSU is not included (or necessary in most cases).

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Hi,

First some background:
Just got a new Mac book pro(mid 2010, i7, 17").. Anyway, my current problem is that when I connect a firewire soundcard to it, the MAC itself will start doing somekind of electrical whistling, whining noise from upper left corner of the machine. Most probably from parts giving power to the firewire port. A connected firewire hard drive with external power will not produce any noise from the Mac. (Tested Apogee Duet and TC Electronics sound cards). I have also tested on other MBP of more or less the same model as mine and also then it seems they are not quiet. Which is why I believe changing parts in the Mac will not give any less head ache.. Mac support does not recognise the problem, which is odd since there are others on internet that tried changing there machines for the exact same reason.
I also believe that the problem hasn't something to do with with the actual current that is consumed by the peripheral, since the noise continues 2-3 seconds after the FW cable is removed. I presume the noise comes from that the peripheral asks the Mac to put some current on the port, and just enabling these power circuits in the Mac will cause this noise.

..a lot of unconfirmed theories, but anyway..
so my question is now - that is if the noise comes from giving power to peripherals - does the baby face ask for power from the USB, even if it has external power?
Maybe it works better anyway since its USB etc - but it would be nice to know what my changes are out of a powering aspect ;-)

/John

If external power is present it will use that one.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

7 (edited by Timur 2010-07-22 20:53:25)

MrMusic wrote:

Just got a new Mac book pro(mid 2010, i7, 17").. Anyway, my current problem is that when I connect a firewire soundcard to it, the MAC itself will start doing somekind of electrical whistling, whining noise from upper left corner of the machine.

Try turning *off* the internal speakers. This should give an audible "pop" sound and the residual noise/hiss should vanish as well (put your ears close to the left speaker). I noticed on my 2009 17" model that the other noise turns down considerably as well.

If your 2010 model does not "physically" turn off the speaker by using the Mute button then try turning off the internal audio interface as playback device for system sounds. OS X turns off the speaker 30 seconds after the last sound was played over the internal interface (as far as I remember by corresponding analysis from a few months ago).

Last but not least compare the noise when the MBP's PSU is connected to when it's disconnected. Try both a power outlet with and without grounding for a change.

Another point is that the noise you are describing seems to be related to the audio-buffer size of the external interface you are using (doesn't matter if FW or USB). The frequency of the whining is directly related to the audio-buffer size chosen. Funny stuff, kind of. HeadScratch ed:

8 (edited by Breathless 2011-04-09 19:50:11)

Where can I purchase the separate power supply? I looked on your site and I can't find it.

Also, does the power supply potentially give the headphone out any more power? I am finding that my Beyer Dynamic DT 770 Pro 80 Ohm headphones are not getting enough juice. I am currently using the 2 USB connectors. I really don't want to have to use a headphone amp or be forced to get 32 Ohm headphones.

Please contact your RME retailer or local distributor. The PSU will not increase phones volume, though.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Can you please provide me with a model number of a compatible / recommended Power Supply?

Breathless wrote:

Can you please provide me with a model number of a compatible / recommended Power Supply?

+1

Current: RME UCX II
Previous: Multiface > Fireface 800 > Babyface > Babyface Pro > Babyface Pro FS

From previous threads and other discussions, it would appear that the following applies to the external power supply connection on the BabyFace:

Connector - 2.1/5.5 concentric, inner pin positive;
Acceptable voltage: 6V to 14Vdc;
Power required: 3.6W max (0.3 A at 12V)

Power supplies for the FF400, QuadMic, etc. are said to be compatible (also battery lead supplied with QuadMic).  But any power pack that meets the voltage and power specifications (and maybe I should say government safety approval) with a compatible connector should work.  For example, a common configuration such as a 12V, 1A plug pack should be fine.

But as I do not work for RME, E&OE -

De gustibus - et sonus - non est disputandum

I guess the most "official" one would be this one then:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/rme_cardbus_netzteil.htm

?

Current: RME UCX II
Previous: Multiface > Fireface 800 > Babyface > Babyface Pro > Babyface Pro FS

rexet wrote:

I guess the most "official" one would be this one then:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/rme_cardbus_netzteil.htm

?

Big bump!

Please, someone answer this question.

Knut wrote:

A Firewire to power adapter could work for both interfaces, but we did not tested it yet

best regards
Knut

This looks interesting. Has any testing been done on this?

The two interfaces referred to are the Babyface & Fireface UC.

(I don't know if it has been mentioned in another thread)

I just got a power cord but when I plugged in to the interface it does not turn on (no lights on) - interface is not connected to computer and computer is turned off for that matter...

PS: interface is a Baby Face and power cord is: ac 100-240, 50-60 Hz 12V 1000 mA

It needs a USB connection to the computer, and the computer must be powered on. Otherwise it never starts up, even with external power.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Jeff, Thank you for the prompt answer

panatrope wrote:

Connector - 2.1/5.5 concentric, inner pin positive;
Acceptable voltage: 6V to 14Vdc;
Power required: 3.6W max (0.3 A at 12V)

Would someone competent please approve this? I mean first of all the polarity.

The polarity is correct, and the dimensions of the plug are correct.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

My local RME retailer (in Toronto, Ontario, Canada) cannot locate a Babyface power supply.

Is there a SKU or model number that will help locate the power supply?

Thank you in advance.

NTCB-US is the power supply, NETZ-CB is the line cord. This is not specific to the Babyface, it's the same PSU used for many RME products.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Excellent - thank you! Don't suppose there's anything I could order straight from amazon.ca....

Good question.  I just purchased a Babyface Pro FX and wondered where the external power brick was myself.  Although they are touting this as "fully USB bus powerable", I don't like placing the extra load on my computer's internal USB bus.  The USB bus is usually the first thing to die on the motherboard due to excessive loads created by powered USB devices.  Once the USB bus dies you usually end up having to rebuild the entire system.  The SIMPLE ANSWER to your question regarding what external power supply to use with the RME BabyFace Pro FX is:

RME NT-RME-2 Lockable

Please note that there are TWO versions of the NT-RME-2.  There is a "lockable" version and a "regular" version.  I have NO IDEA what they are referring to by "lockable" but the lockable version is the one designed for use with the BabyFace Pro FX.  The other one appears to be for older versions of the BabyFace.

I’ve been using the Babyface pro fs on usb only for about two years with no problems at all.

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.

27 (edited by ramses 2022-04-04 10:36:35)

jamiles wrote:

RME NT-RME-2 Lockable
Please note that there are TWO versions of the NT-RME-2.  There is a "lockable" version and a "regular" version.  I have NO IDEA what they are referring to by "lockable" but the lockable version is the one designed for use with the BabyFace Pro FX.  The other one appears to be for older versions of the BabyFace.

The lockable version has a groove on the plug so that the plug can be locked by turning it after insertion to prevent it from slipping out accidentally.
When plugging in, you have to turn the groove so that the plug can be fully inserted. The locking is achieved by a slight rotation (approx. 90°).
Older devices did not have this, for them you just take the PSU without locking. For the newer devices, of course, it makes sense to get the PSU with locking, there I would then stay with the original RME power supplies, so that everything fits together.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Unclear whether the OP is referring to the Babyface vs Babyface Pro. I've had my Babyface almost ten years now, no hiccup, never once used the external DC input or the dual Y-style USB cable - I've just never needed it, and today I tried it out on an iBook G4 (2005) and even on that older laptop, it was very happy on bus power! When I plug into my iOS devices I use a powered USB hub between the Babyface n the Apple CCK, the hub's PSU is rated at 1A DC output (shared among all four USB ports), not any issue whatsoever. I do use phantom power, and almost always use all 10 input channels simultaneously, so I don't think its due to lack of usage.  Now that the Babyface Pro has been out a while, I'm hoping that prices will continue to fall for the original so I could get more of them cheaply. I did have to replace the breakout cable. If you appreciate the fastidiousness of RME from the quality of the manual and such, it feels obvious to me that the Babyface would never have varying AD/DA performance or varying headphone amp output depending on the power input - as they say in the manual, it'll turn off on you if it can't meet the sufficient minimum! RME would never design it such that maybe it works as specified, maybe it doesn't, shrug, depending on your USB connector.