Topic: Firmware Update Mania

The latest driver updates on our website include TotalMix 0.998. To fully enjoy all its new features and improvements it is necessary to update the firmware of UFX, UCX and Babyface. But that update will not be found on our website for the next three weeks or so, because all the new firmware versions are not compatible to TotalMix FX for iPad. In fact the new firmware will work perfectly with TotalMix FX for iPad version 1.1 - our first update of the app!

++++ Mod edit - no longer valid, firmware released, app available
But that one is not available right now. So while we will not release these updates on our website, YOU did read the above, therefore know if you want to try them or not, if you need the current iPad app or not, and that you can easily flash back to the old version (still on the website) any time.
++++

The new firmware updates together with TotalMix FX 0.998 are so exciting that we can't hold them back. Here is the exact list of what you get (this is the firmware part alone, refer to the rest within the driver readme):

Fireface UCX V 44/240/25/CC10, Fireface UFX V 356/158/343/CC26:
- supports the iPad app TotalMix FX for iPad version 1.1.
- Echo Delay Time can be set to 0.00 s to use the FX bus as real Aux bus.
- Expander Threshold top value raised from -30 dB to -20 dB.
- Optimized Dynamics function removes low volume noise on specific samples and improves the lowest attack range (0 to 6 ms) for Compressor/Limiter/Expander.
- New global zipper noise filter design working on all faders.
- New internal third row design with several improvements (example: the Cue channel’s fader no longer influences volume).
- Optimized performance for higher count of EQs and Dynamics.
- FireWire only: MIDI input problem with Sysex fixed.

Babyface V 219
- fixes sample rate bug of version 218
- includes further CC mode performance optimizations
- supports the iPad app TotalMix FX for iPad version 1.1.
- New global zipper noise filter design working on all faders.
- New internal third row design with several improvements (example: the Cue channel’s fader no longer influences volume).

Optimized performance for higher count of EQs and Dynamics for UFX/UCX - what does that mean? With all the above improvements you typically would see at least 10% less DSP power, means you loose some EQ channels and Dynamics. But RME makes the impossible possible. While working on all this stuff we discovered a way to optimize the compiler's work on the DSP code. The result is a stunning increase of at least +20% in DSP power. Yes, 20% more EQs, more Dynamics, less loss when having Reverb active - and this all with much better (means complex) code than before smile

I'm sure you'll love it!

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/fu … in_new.zip

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/fu … ac_new.zip

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Re: Firmware Update Mania

Thanks for the update!

_

RME HDSP9652 | | RME Digiface USB

3 (edited by ebulb 2014-02-22 17:51:04)

nice work, i'll install tonight.. the increased DSP is going to be great, i never maxed out DSP previously but i got close so a bit more headroom will be good. looking forward to checking out the other additions also smile

Excellent news, but I'll wait a bit as I am now hooked to my iPad app now...
Hope improvement of the App will allow to remove the 2nd row and have a zoom window with both the first and last row of faders (in a concert dedicated point of view, it would be great as we do not need the software output row)
Please go on the good job,
Phil

Hello MC,

Not to rush you, but do you know when the MADIface-XT PCIe driver (MADI-FX driver) will be released with these TM-FX improvements (namely my -20dB Noise Gate threshold fix)?

Thanks! cool

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8

PhilippeMustang wrote:

Hope improvement of the App will allow to remove the 2nd row and have a zoom window with both the first and last row of faders (in a concert dedicated point of view, it would be great as we do not need the software output row)

+1 !

cheers
Phil

- UCX - Fireface 400 - Sequoia v11.2 -

It's not the driver (you could use the latest TM FX from a different driver package). This change requires a new firmware, most probably next week.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Works great!  Nice to have a few more dynamics and EQs available. 

Can you explain this? - "New global zipper noise filter design working on all faders." Not sure what this means.  Thanks.

David

The routine in all our former interfaces had to be designed to use as few resources as possible. So we came up with a scheme that dynamically applied the limited number of filters to the faders that most probably need the filter. Such a scheme can obviously not adress any possible situation, so it could happen that faders were unfiltered (with the typical zipper noise) in one or the other situation.

With the latest hardware/FPGAs we had more resources and came up with a completely newly designed way of handling this. No limitation, always working on all filters, so there is no situation left where moving a fader could cause zipper noise. This technology had been invented for the HDSPe MADI FX channel monster, where the former approach failed completely. We now added this to the other TM FX devices where there is a bit space left in the FPGA (Babyface, UCX, UFX). MADI FX, MADIface XT and MADIface USB had this feature from the start.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

...so it could happen that faders were unfiltered (with the typical zipper noise) in one or the other situation.

Thanks, but perhaps I am just lucky that I have never heard any zipper noise.  Are you talking about the noise associated with some control surfaces when reading automation?

MC wrote:

It's not the driver (you could use the latest TM FX from a different driver package). This change requires a new firmware (see thread Firmware Update Mania in USB/FireWire), most probably next week.

I'll wait until next week.  Thank you for the reply! smile

2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX

Great update and great work.  I'm just one of thousands and thousands, but please extend my sincere congratulations to the great engineers at RME!

MC wrote:

- Echo Delay Time can be set to 0.00 s to use the FX bus as real Aux bus.

can you explain how this works exactly ? I can see its possible to set delay time to 0.00 but how does that make it act like a real Aux bus ? Does a real Aux bus mean you can plug in an external delay unit and use the send on each channel to feed the external hardware somehow, or is it something else ?

Exactly that. This was a costumer request for a specific remote situation which most people will not need. You have to send out the signal via one hardware output, by not routing anything there but raising the effects return fader.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Great, thanks for the continued development of even better drivers and firmware.
This is one of the main reasons I use RME and will continue to do so.

MC wrote:

Exactly that. This was a costumer request for a specific remote situation which most people will not need. You have to send out the signal via one hardware output, by not routing anything there but raising the effects return fader.

I was wondering about that myself.  Nice feature to have, thanks.

I can't seem to get DIGICheck 5.62 to work with my Babyface running FW 218.  The SR indicated in DC appears stuck at 44.1KHz regardless of the actual selected sampling rate.  Returning the Babyface to FW 204 and DC goes back to fully working again.  I did the HW power cycle after each FW change.  USB driver is 1.042.  PC is running Windows 8 64-bit.  Just thought you might like to know.

You're right. Don't worry, fix is on the way.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Some problems:

http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic … 068#p94068

Just a heads up: firmware version 219 of the Babyface is delayed, but should show up today. We have many more updates scheduled for today and tomorrow, like another update of TM FX, updated drivers, new DIGICheck Mac with several fixes etc. Stay tuned!

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

do any of the problems with the recent babyface firmware have any impact or connection to the UFX firmware update ? I have a gig next week and i have already flashed the new UFX firmware, if it might be troublesome i will flash back to previous firmware before the gig..

None of the other firmwares have known problems.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

thanks..

The above firmware updates now include version 219 for the Babyface. Please redownload in case you did before.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

The Hot News section of the RME site is showing this:

03/06/2014 Windows and Mac firmware updates for UFX/UCX/Babyface.   

...but the latest version on the actual download page is 219, from Feb 28. Do you have any thoughts on that?

Babyface, Macbook Pro 2015, OSX 10.14.6

Not sure what is not to  be understood with that. Did you read the first post?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I guess I'm a little confused about the timeline on that first post. Was the Mod Edit from Mar 6?

It seems strange that there's a News item about an update without an update from the same date.

Either way, I'll assume 219 is the current version.

Babyface, Macbook Pro 2015, OSX 10.14.6

Hello there!

I posted in a separate thread about my problems after updating the firmware to the one linked in the first post of this thread. Now I realised that my thread disappeared or got deleted. No idea why. However:
Since this firmware update the compressor sounds nice but I have random dropouts which I can see in the settings dialog. No matter if I challenge the pc (UCX, Win 7 x64) or not. I loaded the newest driver from the website a few days ago but didn't changed much. Before the firmware update the system worked flawless. I would really appreciate an answer from you guys and hope my post will not be deleted. ;-)

El Duderino wrote:

I posted in a separate thread about my problems after updating the firmware to the one linked in the first post of this thread. Now I realised that my thread disappeared or got deleted.)

That one was indeed removed as it looked like the problem is gone. I put it back as that is only true for the guy posting after you.

El Duderino wrote:

No idea why. However: Since this firmware update the compressor sounds nice)

We are still waiting for you to post a finishing/closing comment on that thread, so it doesn't look like that problem is still not fixed. Please do so.

El Duderino wrote:

but I have random dropouts which I can see in the settings dialog. No matter if I challenge the pc (UCX, Win 7 x64) or not. I loaded the newest driver from the website a few days ago but didn't changed much. Before the firmware update the system worked flawless. I would really appreciate an answer from you guys and hope my post will not be deleted. ;-)

No such effects known. Use the old firmware and driver to verify that this is not caused by an unnoticed change on your system.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I am sorry that it took so long for the HDSPe MADI FX and MADIface XT owners (you might blame Frankfurt Musikmesse), but the new firmware is now available on our website.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Use the old firmware and driver to verify that this is not caused by an unnoticed change on your system.

Thanks for the reply. Current problem is: I don't have the old installer/drivers anymore also couldn't find them on your website. May you have a link for me?

MC wrote:

I am sorry that it took so long for the HDSPe MADI FX and MADIface XT owners (you might blame Frankfurt Musikmesse), but the new firmware is now available on our website.

A-W-E-S-O-M-E!!!  Thanks for the update MC! smile

2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX

El Duderino wrote:
MC wrote:

Use the old firmware and driver to verify that this is not caused by an unnoticed change on your system.

Thanks for the reply. Current problem is: I don't have the old installer/drivers anymore also couldn't find them on your website. May you have a link for me?

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/dr … n_1042.zip

Same path to 1039, 1038 etc.

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/fut_usb_dsp156.zip

for the former firmware.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

So I downdated drivers and firmware and the problem is still there. Now I have a real problem to troubleshoot... :-(

And we continue with fixing and improving our products. Today there are new firmwares available which can increase the performance and reliability under Windows a lot. But it depends on the specific situation, so many users which have no problem anyway will not notice a difference. Others with performance problems in double and quad speed might see a huge difference. Simply try it!

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

new update reduces CPU load on my old laptop.. I lowered WDM devices from 15 to 2 and the sample rate change went from 55 seconds at 100% CPU down to 10 seconds..

Did anything change in regards to the audio output with this recent update ? Im not sure if i am imagining it but it sounds like a mix i was working on sounds different after the update.. also some other files i regularly playback through UFX, got my attention a second time for sounding a little different.. Am i imagining this ?

Also.. is there any problem with flashing firmware and changing drivers back to old versions ? Is it just as simple as running the old .exe files to switch back ? i dont think i will need to do this but its handy to know in case of unforseen problems..

Yep, exactly that's why we finally stopped waiting for a solution from Microsoft. Will most probably never come.

Sound is unchanged, sorry.

You can go back and forth any time.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

what i could hear with the audio wasnt good, its sounded like the top end is more brittle but if you say nothing has changed then that is cool.. its probably my ears need a rest, i have been listening to a mix non stop for last two days.