Topic: RME Driver Installer for Windows (USB / FireWire)

Hello,

many years our drivers were based on Windows own installation routine and mechanism. In Windows 7 Microsoft removed the automatic start of the Driver Software Update dialog, which removed a part of the convenience and system integration. Therefore we are now offering our drivers as Driver Installation Wizard, means a program that guides you through the process (german/english) and copies all driver files to the correct places. It also updates existing driver files and can even remove the driver and itself via the standard Control Panel/Software dialog.

As usual with these installers when performing a first installation on a naked system it is recommended to run the installer first, then plug in the audio interface, so Windows can not only start its P&P process, but will also find the drivers needed.

The new driver 1.032 for our USB interfaces

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/dr … n_1032.zip

and 3.076 for our FireWire interfaces

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/dr … n_3076.zip

are our first public release and include the latest ASIO 2.3 option for MMCSS.

We appreciate any testing and feedback!

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Re: RME Driver Installer for Windows (USB / FireWire)

Wow, MMCSS is back! : )

I guess this works best with N6 / C7, right?

https://granurise.com

http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=17575

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

4 (edited by fl 2013-05-25 15:53:53)

MC wrote:

We appreciate any testing and feedback!

Windows XP Pro SP3 under Bootcamp 2.1
Fireface 800

Everything ran fine with Driver version 3.071, but after running the 3.076 installer (which finished properly), Windows reported finding new hardware, but couldn't find the drivers.

I wound up restoring my system from a Cloned backup, so I'm back to 3.071, but I'm wondering if 3.034 wouldn't be the better option - all the benefits of the double latency buffer for higher sample rates, without all the modifications that have been made in the name of Windows 8 compatibility.

So, 3.071, 3.073 or 3.034 for XP?

Frank Lockwood
https://LockwoodARS.com
Fireface 800, Firmware 2.77
Drivers: Win10, 3.125; Mac, 3.36

I just installed the new USB driver, checked mmcss, started a cubase project. I left it idle for about 10 minutes, came back and cubase was not responding. I couldn't kill it pskill or task manager. Initiated a system shutdown, and the computer wouldn't shut down until I turned off my ufx. Started back up with ufx on and I got a windows bsod with multiple irp requests.  Now, my computer is in startup repair mode. Running windows 7 64 bit, Cubase 7.04 64 bit.

The changes for W8 do not affect XP at all. So you might stay at 3.071. We tested the installer with XP, but not with a bootcamped XP with such outdated bootcamp drivers (currently 5.x). No way for us to check or reproduce that, sorry.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I just rolled back the driver and everything seems as it was was.

Anyone else seeing odd behavior with the new driver in Win 7 64 bit like I noted a few posts up?  I'd love to try out MMCSS with Cubase 7.  Not sure if it's related, but I had the earlier BSOD on shutdown problem with the older drivers.  Also often when I am in Cubase, on start up, I will get no sound going the RME, unless I pop into the RME control and toggle the buffer size back and forth.

^Nah, only issue I noticed was that Studio One wouldnt catch the 2nd UCX midi port at first.

I had to shut down Win 7 and turn the UCX off/on. Restarted and everything works fine now. Only issue noticed so far.

aannnnddd.. i take that back.

I'm getting very weird "machine gun" type noises while operating my OS. It did it periodically when opening folders and clicking on the different hard drive folders. It's now doing it randomly as i operate in my OS. Probably going to rollback my driver as well.

I also got some huge ASIO buffer spikes while recording midi w/ Kontakt. They stopped when I turned off the new MMCSS option. I use Studio One... the issue is likely that Studio One doesn't support ASIO 2.3 yet (just a guess).

Anyway... i'm rolling back. Just wanted to share my findings here so far.

Thanks, but this way they are not helpful. You updated FireWire or USB? Your older driver version was?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

12 (edited by CPhoenix 2013-05-30 16:55:36)

Hi Matthias,

I love RME and these drivers are rock solid. I'd be more than happy to help and answer any questions if it will help the next drivers.

I updated the Firewire drivers. I use the firewire connectivity instead of USB. Previous drivers were the latest drivers in the download section. I updated the firmware to the latest as well back in April, that was obvisouly done over USB.

EDIT: Let me know if I should open a support ticket instead of posting here in the forums. I wouldn't mind.

also to reiterate, I am using Windows 7 64 bit, Cubase 7.04 64 bit, UFX USB driver, gigabyte GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UP7 LGA 1155 motherboard.

The drivers in the installer are indentical to the drivers currently available (3.073). The only difference is the MMCSS option. This one switched off - identical. So if you have a mysterious stutter with ONLY the new installer drivers even when MMCSS is switched off, then I have no clue why.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

gmontano - same applies for you. MMCSS off - driver identical. You seem to have had problems before, and the current ones have nothing to do with the installer. Leave MMCSS unchecked and try again...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME