Topic: Totalmix FX crashes

I got a new UFX yesterday and installed the hardware / drivers according to the manual. All was working well with the firewire / windows XP SP2 setup. I discovered the front USB port wouldn't recognize any of my hard drives or even memory sticks. I read somewhere on the forum that there were problems with the DURec feature and a firmware upgrade was in order. I upgraded the firmware and all went well (I thought). This did indeed seem to help as it did see front USB memory devices. But when I restarted my computer I got "Totalmix has encountered a problem and needs to close". I did a system restore and reinstalled the drivers and it still does this. Help!

According to my Fireface settings I am running :
driver date: 15.04.11
driver version: 0.979
Hardware revision: 351

Re: Totalmix FX crashes

Update: Reinstalled different drivers

driver date: 9.11.11
driver version: 1.013
Hardware revision: 351

Are these the one ones I should be using?

Yes, that's the current one...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

I also have TotalMix crashes  with the same type of warnings. So I close the app and restart it and it is fine after that. I wish I wouldn't have to do that though.

The TotalMix crash typically means you have a mismatch between your driver version and firmware version. So which do you have installed (check the Settings app)?

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

6 (edited by aguillen2012 2012-01-22 01:31:12)

I encountered the same issue and then realized I had only downloaded and executed the Windows Flash Update Tool and never installed the Windows PnP driver (both downloads can be found under the USB series tab on the downloads page).  After I installed the PnP driver, I was able to successfully launch TotalMix FX.

My TM FX 0.963 crashes when opening a new window. Although I don't need to have multiple tmfx windows open for now (that I don't have an ipad yet, nor can I assign different windows to different controllers), I'm sure that it's a bug you'll fix.  :-)

There's still a very annoying problem with the mac firewire driver. (same thing with previous drivers and the latest official 3.06 release as well)
When booting up and connecting my UFX - the TMFX and Fireface settings will both start, but the TMFX window is not responding. (meters show nothing etc..)
Each time I have to exit the TMFX, turn off my UFX, then start the TMFX and UFX again to get it working. After that everything's ok, but  it's still very annoying having to do this every time.
If I turn off my macbook with the interface connected and boot again, the TMFX will still work, but whenever I disconnect the interface from my laptop, the problem returns. Even after booting my OS X

Is it only my setup, or do other users get this behaviour as well?

macbook pro 2011 - os x 10.6.8
fireface UFX
firmware 1.47
firewire driver 3.06
TotalMix FX 0.970b2

Fireface UFX+ | Fireface UFX | Babyface Pro | 12Mic

8 (edited by bsfreq 2012-01-26 01:02:20)

I studied this problem a little further and this is what happens when I boot up:

-OS X audio prefs, Pro Tools and Ableton Live see that the UFX is connected and the interface is selectable in the audio device list.
-UFX is active/available in MIDI preferences
-The firewire light on UFX frontpanel is lit, so the connection should work between the macbook and UFX.
-Meters work on the UFX front panel
-Also the mackie control between TMFX and lcxmu / my controllers works both ways, so TMFX is not dead either.

But..
-No audio comes in from UFX to pro tools or any other software
-No audio goes out from any software to the UFX. (pro tools won't just play anything even when UFX is selected. Playhead won't move anywhere)
-TMFX doesn't show anything on the meters.
-Midi out or in from UFX doesn't work

So could this be a firmware bug? Something wrong with the firewire connection between TMFX and UFX anyway. Or am I the only one with this problem?
Again, after I exit the TMFX and reboot my UFX everything works ok.

Thanks for any reply. And I have to say, that I (also) greatly appreciate the work you keep on doing with the updates. This unit keeps getting better and better all the time!

Please try the latest TM FX (beta 3) which includes some bug fixes. This is more hope than fact as we tried hard but were not able to reproduce your specific problems.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

10 (edited by bsfreq 2012-02-12 01:45:36)

MC wrote:

Please try the latest TM FX (beta 3)..

Unfortunately the problem remains even with this beta 3 version. I don't have to exit TMFX to make it work, only power off & on my UFX, but still..
now it seems even more consistent. I have to reboot my UFX pretty much every time I turn on my macbook.

I don't know how the mac os x behaves when booting up, but could it be that the rme drivers load up too soon
in the process? Because if I start my UFX after everything else in mac os x has loaded, it seems to work as it should.
I have my UFX on a rack and I have a master switch for powering up all my gear at once. That's why it's kinda frustrating having to go and power-cycle my UFX separately each time.

Could it be that on the first start the UFX is not working correctly because it is switched on with many other devices at the same time? Some power-related startup problem? You can change this and start the UFX alone, then your Mac - problem will be the same?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

You can change this and start the UFX alone, then your Mac - problem will be the same?

Yep, same thing..