Topic: No sound from FF400 via powersupply problem

Hi,

I have a problem with my Fireface400.
When its connected to a powered firewirebus it is working ok (as it should)
But, if i use the external power supply it doesn't send any sound to the outputs.
Although the ff400 is recognised by my system, it seems to work fine, you can see sound going true totalmix
it is send to the right outputs, but no sound is coming out. (if i switch back to bus powered, with the the switch on the back everything works normal again
This should be no problem since i have a powered  Firewire bus on my pc... but i also want to use it on my laptop, witch has no powered firewire bus.
It is completely recognised by my laptop, (same as with the pc, i can see sound going true totalmix to the right outputs), but there is no sound coming out.

It was working perfect til last week.....

Has anybody any suggestion what to do to get it back working again.

Thanx

Re: No sound from FF400 via powersupply problem

Did you ever get a resolution to this? I'm freaked because I came home one day to find all the lights on the front of my FF400 half lit up. I pulled the adapter jack out of the back and put it back in and the jack seemed to be working only intermittently as I played with it (My FF has been sitting in my rack since the day I bought it a few years ago and hasn't moved). After playing with it for about a minute the jack seemed to be stable again and everything appeared normal at first but I then realized I had no audio output. It was exactly as you described... I switched to bus power (which I've never even used before) and everything is fine but when I go back to adapter power there is no sound output to my monitors or headphone out. It's recognized by my pc and I can see working audio meters in my players or daw but no sound. I updated my firmware and driver but it didn't change anything. I don't know what to do. This happened out of the blue one day while I was out. I'm running off bus power for now but I need to resolve this because there's obviously something wrong. Is it just maybe the adapter?... I hope so, I don't think it's still under warranty and I can't afford to have it fixed... more importantly I can't afford to be without an audio interface if I have to ship it for repair.

Obviously you just need a new external power pack - or use bus power instead.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Jeff, thanks for replying. So you think it sounds like the power adapter and not something internal where the jack plugs in? If so can I order one to Canada through you? Was trying to find a way to test with another of the same adapter but anyone I know around here with a FF has the 800 and they told me it doesn't use one.

Specs are in the manual, you can find a suitable replacement in an electronics shop. Otherwise, any RME reseller can sell you a new external PSU.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

ok great, thanks.

Your problem seems to be the same as mine...
My ac adapter was nothing wrong with.
I also went to the (electro) shop to pick up a new adapter.
i luckely brought the "old" one with me, the guy from the shop put a meter on the (original) adapter and there was nothing wrong with it.

After lots of email's with rme and the dutch "repair"centre, the only option was to send it to the shop were i bought it. than they can send it to the repair centre......... (take's too long for me)

i was in the middle of a mix session so that was no option.

a few weeks ago i bought a powered firewire hub (for 7 euro) and that is my sollution for use with unpowered FW busses (laptop).
The problem is still there, but i have a workarround.

Good luck

tsjah, thanks for letting me know. I tested out my adapter last night and, like yours, it seems to be fine so now I'm worried. I mean, I can use the FF400 with bus power for now but that's not the point, there's obviously something wrong with the unit. Being in Canada I think I'd have to send it to Synthax USA but then I'm without an interface for who knows how long? Can't afford shipping and repairs right now anyway. Pretty bummed about this.

I am not sure this is correct. A switched power supply can show full voltage when measured by high-impedance volt meter (they are all high-impedance). But when apllying a load (the FF400) the voltage might drop significantly, if the ps has a problem.

Inside the unit the only part between bus power and the PSU socket is a diode, and I never saw that one failing.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

10 (edited by SkunkWorks 2011-11-24 03:15:01)

Matthias, you might be right. I thought my 12v test device was working properly when I tried to power it from the RME adapter but I just tested it again after reading your reply and although it appears to function it only functions for about a second and the dies. The green LED on the jack of the RME supply dies at that point as well. When I initially tested this last night I thought I just wasn't holding my bare wire tightly enough against the barrel and that was why it was cutting out... apparently not. So I guess there is still hope, I will buy and try a new adapter on the FF400. Wish me luck wink

One question...

Will an output current of 1.5A be enough? There are plenty here for me to choose at that rating but 2A devices are harder to find, out of stock or are expensive unless I order one from China. The ones I'm looking at are all regulated and some even have overload protection (100 - 240vac input and 12v output)

1.5A should be enough.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Ok, thanks. Will report my results.

Hi Matthias,

It worked for me.
i'm a noob in ac adapters so i trusted the guy in store who measured the adapter (months ago)
After this (first) post i had direct contact with support of rme.
after telling my story they said.
"I could only imagine that internal power supply coming from the PSU is somehow defective, which would require sending the unit in."

But after reading this:
"I am not sure this is correct. A switched power supply can show full voltage when measured by high-impedance volt meter (they are all high-impedance). But when applying a load (the FF400) the voltage might drop significantly, if the ps has a problem.

Inside the unit the only part between bus power and the PSU socket is a diode, and I never saw that one failing."

I just bought a new adapter and the unit is working with the external adapter :-)

Thank you.

hope it works for you 2 SkunkWorks.

14 (edited by SkunkWorks 2011-11-25 00:28:45)

tsjah...

... that's great, man. I hope that's all my issue is as well. Am trying to find time to go get an adapter today but I'm stuck here in front of the computer researching some stuff I want to buy over the next few days with the black friday sales going on. Will try to make it out today if I can, the place is clear across town.

EDIT
I have a 5v 4A output adapter lying around... just tried that one as I remember reading here that the adapter can be 5v to ? and I still have the same problem. On bus power everthing is fine... I can play something for example in my media player, close the palyer, flip the switch to adapter power, start up my player with the same file and although I can see meters in totalmix on "Playback" and "Output" there is no sound. When I close the player and switch back over to bus power I get the windows bleep bleep indicating a device has been plugged in... I don't get the bleep bleep when switching back to adapter power.

15 (edited by SkunkWorks 2011-11-25 00:32:33)

Well this is promising. I decided to hook up my little 12vdc AGM sealed lead-acid battery I use to power some of my camera gear, I already had a cable rigged up with a barrel adapter for it. It's powering my FF400 and I'm listening to audio in my player as I type this (no bus power!). Looks like that 5v adapter I tried wasn't enough to power it or something (see above). It's too late to go get a 12v today but I will tomorrow for sure. This is a good sign... fingers crossed! Kind of neat to see I also have a battery solution for my FF (remote stand alone!)... this battery is 5.0AH and should run it for hours wink

Just picked up a 12v 1500mA switching non-regulated supply from my local surplus store for $5 and all is well! I was worried when I first switched over to it from bus power because I didn't hear the Windows "bleep bleep" that I always hear when when I switch from external dc to firewire bus power... but I fired up some audio into my player and I  have audio! I guess the bleep bleep is just a firewire and usb thing in Windows. Anyway, everything is working now, I'll get a better regulated supply soon with over-voltage and over-current protection for $15-$20.

Thanks guys.

Wow, I'm really glad I just checked the forum here! I just had the exact same problem happen to me this week with my FF400 and was worried it was something internal, but everything I've read here suggests its the power supply. I've ordered one with the same specs so hopefully in a couple weeks I'll know for sure. As with the other guys, BUS power still works so I can keep making music in the mean time.

Eschatologist... glad to hear it, man. I'm glad I found this thread too. Seems these adapters will eventually fail but at least they are cheap to replace. I see you're in Canada... MRO Electronics here in Edmonton has the supplies... regulated and over-voltage/over-current protected. You can find them on ebay from China as well but get regulated ones.

Yeah man, I've had my FF400 for four years now with minimal issues, this is the biggest yet, so I'm glad it's most likely not the unit itself. I just ordered a PSU from a site with the exact matching specs, but I'm not sure its regulated power. I looked at the Edmonton site, but I can't find anything on there matching the original PSU's 2.0A rating...is it important to have an exact match, or is there some flexibility?

20 (edited by SkunkWorks 2011-11-26 22:01:45)

I think the 2A ones at MRO were out of stock when I looked a couple of days ago but there are 1.5A amp ones in stock I think. I seem to remember Calgary had some of the ones Edmonton didn't... it shows the stock in the listings. If you just want to try a cheap unregulated one right away to assess the problem Princess Auto has a 1500mA (1.5A) supply in the surplus section for 5 bucks right now if you have one near you. It's just a single cord adapter, not the 2 piece like the RME but it is a 12v switching supply. RME support says 1.5A is fine. I think the FF only draws an amp.

Fireface 800 here and I'm about to replace my THIRD powersupply. Trying to replace elko's this time .. can't keep on spending the $$ for replacing full supply. 

Maybe RME could give discounts on power supplies or get us in touch with their supplier.

Funny this just came up. Only days ago my replacement power supply I've been using less than 2 months went on me (I think) and I'm on bus power again right now. This time my supposedly bad wall adapter is working fine on other things I tried it on like my MR16 base LED bulbs I have (I knew my original was bad when I tried it on these bulbs mentioned here a couple of months ago... replaced it and everything was fine again, until now). I've got another 12vdc wall wart somewhere, I'll have to try it out on the FF400 to troubleshoot this any further.