Topic: RME Fireface 800 vs Windows 7 64 bit

Hi all,
I bought the RME Fireface 800 over a year ago and I used it on a workstation with Windows XP Pro SP3 first and then with the new Windows 7 32 bit (using old driver v2.9992), everything has always worked well.
Yesterday I wanted to configure my Fireface on a "HP dv5-1144el" laptop with the 64 bit version of Windows 7 OS and I've seen that are available new drivers for Windows 7 (v.3031) and so I used those, the firmware was already upgraded to the latest version a few months ago.

What happens is BSOD with message "IRQ not less or equal" after few seconds that the driver installation is completed and every time I try to reboot with the Fireface powered and connected via firewire port.

Ofc I followed this installation guide, windows correctly recognizes the device as "RME Fireface 800". I also treid to change the firewire driver, from "1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller" to "1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller (Legacy)", but it doesn't seem to be helpful sad

So:
* I have a RME Fireface 800
* I want to work on a HP dv5-1144el with Windows 7 64 bit and with one firewire 400 (mini) port
* Current driver used: v3.031
* Current firmware used: v2.77
* After device recognition and driver installation, Windows pulls out a Blue Screen of Death

Any suggestions? Could the problem be the 64 bit version of Windows 7?

Thx!

Re: RME Fireface 800 vs Windows 7 64 bit

Sorry to say I don't have any immediate solutions for you. However I wanted to say I've been using my FF800 for the last couple months with Windows 7 64 bit and it works great. However because of my plugins not being 64 bit, I unistalled my first tries with 64 bit DAWs and have installed 32 bit versions of Reaper, Sonar, and PT.

Remeber the well known Texas Instrument Firewire chipset recommendation, it could be firewire issues with your laptop as some chipsets are known for issues. I'd check you chipset if you haven't already done so.

Hi GKinTN,
thx for reply :-)

GKinTN wrote:

I'd check you chipset if you haven't already done so.

I checked the chipset, it was initially identified as a generic chipset but I found on the web a tip which suggests that the firewire manufacturer is the same as the card reader manufacturer. In my case, JMicron Technology Corp. is card reader manufacturer. I obtained the latest driver version and I updated the firewire controller, now it's displayed as "JMicron OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller" (the card reader is based on JMB38X - chipset?).
In these days I hope to try soon if my Fireface now works correctly.
If not, I think that a possible solution is to buy a PCMCIA firewire card with a TI chipset!

Really latest driver? This one?

http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=8911

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Really latest driver? This one?

http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=8911

yes, exactly that driver :-)

I'm currently full of work and I can't do the tests now, I hope to find time to do so in the coming days... I keep you updated ofc!

6 (edited by jcschild 2010-11-09 14:39:20)

good luck getting the HP to work for audio with firewire. they are known to have high DPC and other issues. they have trouble with USB even

some things to try
disable ACPI battery
disable all wireless
disable all cardreaders
disable all power managment (turn off the turn offs)
Scott
ADK

Hi Scott,

jcschild wrote:

they are known to have high DPC

what do u mean with DPC? Deferred procedure call or other?

Thx!

Stefano

Yes, you can check that here: http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1704

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

RME Support wrote:

Yes, you can check that here: http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1704

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

LatencyMon v2.00 on my Hp laptop reports there results (running time around 5 minutes):
* Highest DPC routine execution time (microsec): 1324
* Highest ISR routine execution time (microsec): 170
* Highest hard pagefault resolution time (microsec): 81106

General result: "Your sistem appears to be suitable for playing real time audio without dropouts"

I hope it's a good thing :-)

How exactly did you install the driver? Still getting BSOD?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

RME Support wrote:

How exactly did you install the driver? Still getting BSOD?

sry if I haven't been clear enough, I dunno if I still get the BSOD cause I haven't tried again after the new firewire driver installation. Now the Fireface is used for recording (connected on other pc) and I can't test these changes, I will test these in the next days and I will post here every good or bad news.

Btw I installed the firewire driver by downloading the same package posted by Matthias Carstens, then going to Device Manager and using "Update Driver" on my firewire host controller device.
But if you're referring to the Fireface driver, I powered on & connected the Fireface 800 and after Windows detected the new device, I used the latest driver downloaded from your website (v3.031). I think I went again to Device Manager because, if I remeber correct, Windows doesn't pop up the installation windows automatically.

Ok test done, BSOD doesn't happen more but now sounds isn't so good... I try to explain: a simple sound (mp3 playing on laptop with Windows Media Player) seems to be distorted... is a problem linked with the DPC latency of this laptop?

Btw, I searched for the "Clock Mode" configuration option which there was in the previous driver version, didn't I have found it or has been removed?

Thanks for all help you are giving me!

FYI, I found a nice solution to let Fireface to work without sound errors.
I bought a KRAUN Express Card with two Firewire 400 ports and based on Texas Instrument chipset, now the sound is really good! :-)

KRAUN Firewire Express Card, payed around ? 40 (sry for italian link)

Hi stecman,
how much latency are you getting with this laptop and fw card ?
and have you measured dpc with an audio application running ?