1 (edited by javajam 2010-02-10 22:21:51)

Topic: HDSPe and Win7 64bit issue, have to go back to Vista...

Hi,
Here's what I experienced with Vista 64 to Win7 64bit upgrade. I've been working with RME cards (9632, HDSP 9652, Digiface) since a long time. All has always been perfectly working, reliable stable and accurate. RME cards are that peaceful that I'm reading RME forum for the first time since 7 years using them !

For my new setup, I've got a RayDAT and an HDSPe MADI (with ADI-648 interface), drivers are 3.0.8.2. The 2 PCs are under dual boot (XP32/Vista64). Motherboards are Gygabyte EX58-UD4 and EX58-UD5, i7 920 processors. I upgraded those PCs from Vista64 to Win7 64bit. I got similar dramatic issues on both PCs.

Installing RME drivers makes computers become slow and unstable, and they are launching with "classic" old Windows appearance (windows and taskbar have a "safe mode like" look, unless icons and desktop background are "normal"). Closing Windows takes a big amount of time (about 10mn...), and on one PC, I get blue screen, error Stop 0x0000003B when turning off. Relaunching Windows is very slow too. Uninstalling both RME card drivers makes all goes back to normal behaviour.

I'll have to go back to Vista64 for now as I couldn't find any issue about this problem in Windows 7ultimate-64bit OS environment.

What's quite strange is that for 3rd PC in setup (Asus Z8NA-D6 motherboard, Xeon E5520 proc, dual boot XP32/W7-64), I kept on working with HDSP9652 PCI card (driver 3.0.8.2), and it's perfectly working as ever with RME cards... Why in the hell does this boring issue occur with PCIe cards and Win7-64 ?

Re: HDSPe and Win7 64bit issue, have to go back to Vista...

Anyone working with W7 x64, Gygabyte EX58-UD4 or UD5 (i7-920 proc) and HDSPe MADI or RayDAT over here ?

I?m working with W7 x 64 and Gigabyte EX58-UD4P, but I?m planning to buy a RME HDSP card.
I think I will wait some time until there is some answer about your post or compatibility with Gigabyte boards...

Metheny wrote:

I?m working with W7 x 64 and Gigabyte EX58-UD4P, but I?m planning to buy a RME HDSP card.
I think I will wait some time until there is some answer about your post or compatibility with Gigabyte boards...

I think you should... As this occurs with two different computers with to different motherboards (UD4/UD5), same i7-920 processor, and two different RME boards (MADI & RayDAT) and same driver...

Just to tell it again : W7x64 + RME HDSPe seems to be incompatible for now, when working with Gygabyte EX58-UD4 & UD5. I don't know what occurs about other motherboards and if this issue is globally an incompability W7w64/RME driver or if it has something to see with processor or motherboard.. .

javajam wrote:
Metheny wrote:

I think you should... As this occurs with two different computers with to different motherboards (UD4/UD5), same i7-920 processor, and two different RME boards (MADI & RayDAT) and same driver...

Just to tell it again : W7x64 + RME HDSPe seems to be incompatible for now, when working with Gygabyte EX58-UD4 & UD5. I don't know what occurs about other motherboards and if this issue is globally an incompability W7w64/RME driver or if it has something to see with processor or motherboard.. .

The only common things between all your setups are the i7 CPU and Win7x64. I'd look at them first. I recall there have been issues reported to do with the i7 CPU's. Search this forum, I can't remember where it was!

Isaac.

6 (edited by 4ccmusic 2010-02-14 00:43:07)

i run win 7 x64 with hdspe and a gigabyte ud4p...no problems...system is fine.can run the buffer pretty low for the most part.

i would update the bios by going to tweaktown fourms.  Maybe try switch slots on the card?

Javajam, have you tried to update your BIOS?. There is a february new version (F11) in the Gigabyte drivers page. I installed it the other day.

Thanx for your help, guys, but issue's still remaining. I updated motherboards BIOS like you said, Metheny (f10 for UD5), but it didn't solve the problem. As one common thing with both computers is TC Powercore PCI MkII, and driver being a beta version, I firstly expected for Powercore to cause some trouble. But Powercore installation was ok. So, after BIOS update I tried to unistall Powercore. It doesn't solve the problem too. What a mess !

As you can see on images http://www.jayjam.eu/RMEissue-f%C3%A9v10.jpg & http://www.jayjam.eu/RMEissue2-f%C3%A9v10.jpg, Windows 7 desktop appearance is not available. And computer launching and closing are extremely slow...

Again, back to Vista x64... Should it be Windows 7 upgrade from Vista, maybe something going wrong ? Still the same issue under W7, uninstalling RME makes all is properly working. Reinstalling RME and issue's there.

Sent a mail to RME support 9 days ago, still no answer for now... Anybody having upgraded from Vista x64 to W7 x64 ?

Have you tried a "fresh" Win7 installation from scratch instead of an "upgrade" from Vista... the behaviour could be different  ?

Thalys wrote:

Have you tried a "fresh" Win7 installation from scratch instead of an "upgrade" from Vista... the behaviour could be different  ?

Hi Thalys,

I've been thinking about. But installing W7 from scratch on 2 PCs instead of upgrading means I should have to reinstall all applications, request for all authorizations, save and restore all parameters and I've been spending so much time on computers setup (replacing 3 PCs, all 3 with dual boot)... I would better play music ;-)

That's why I would like to get some feedback from RME support before doing this ! Particularly because everything is properly working after W7 upgrade, except RME driver...

Maybe a bios setting? Not at all the same situation, but I use a Multiface II / HDSPe combo on a EVGA X58 Micro, Intel i7 920 and Win7 X64 with no problem. The only issues I had were with "Turbo Mode" in the bios, which caused severe audio playback issues for me. (Turbo is Intels automatic overclocking of whichever core "needs" it)
Also try completely disabling User Account Control as this has been known to cause problems.

Hi Nico,

I think everything is regular in Bios, no extra feature. I tried to disable hyperthreading in BIOS with no success. BIOS is now up to date, following Metheny advise.

But one new thing : I tried to update to W7 once more. I uninstalled RME before updating (what I didn't on last try) but no success too. So I decided to update from Vista to W7, not with simple and friendly direct method but with "personalized" way (I don't know the english word employed in update process, french one is "personnalis?"). Update is ok, RME installation seems ok with normal display. BTW I just lost all applications and have to reinstall them. That's quite easy on current PC and I'll let you know about happy end. What's boring is for the other one as I'll have to reinstall all applications and reauthorize most of them and VSTi too (VEPro/Cubase5/NI Kore2/Komplete6/Maschine/Spectrasonics Omnisphere/Atmosphere/RMX/Trilogy/Trilian...) !-O)

Thanx for helping, guys...

15 (edited by javajam 2010-02-22 09:34:44)

So, I can confirm. You got it, Thalys, unfortunately I've to say... Did Vista to W7 update via personalized process. Applications are lost and have to be reinstalled, setups have to be configured once more... Whatever, no hard disk reformat so many folders are preserved and folder "windows.old" is created during process. It's a reference for further reinstallations. And RME driver finally works with no issue !

So, anyone expecting for W7 from Vista x64 update has to know about : direct update can be considered. If RME issues appear, 2nd way will do the job... as soon as Vista setup has been backed up and can be restored. If not, update right away with personalized process.

16 (edited by feralchild 2010-04-14 23:08:03)

I was just getting ready to upgrade to the GA-X58A-UD7 with a 890x I have the HDSPe 128 with m-32da and the
m-32ad. Sounds like it mite no be a good motherboard for this. let us know what is found out.
Or are you saying there was no problem with your motherboard?

No problem with motherboard  at all. It's only about updating from Vistax64 to W7x64. Easy straight away update seems to be uncompatible with RME driver, that's all. Processing update the other way does the job and everything's working fine now here with W7x64.

Upgrading an OS "in place" = Recipe for disaster IMNSHO.  I equate it to pulling the table-cloth from under the dinner set!  Some stuff is very likely to get broken.  I wouldn't even do an in place upgrade on my Mom's e-mail computer!

It's strictly fresh installations for stability and reliability for me.  Yes - reinstalling the applications and drivers, updates, etc is no fun, but neither are issues like these that make you pull your hair out wink  I even go as far as a fresh OS install for Service Packs if I need a bulletproof system...

cool

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8

I have also have some issues with my setup. I first had a raydat card that made my setup unstable (Some of my plugins froze when modifying them) I tried it all, I even build a new pc.. still the same! I swapped the card for another Raydat and Voila.. it all worked. But, now.. some other problems have come up:-( 

Can it be that the RME Raydat cards are just not working as they should? I went from A motu 24io/Pci 424 Card to RME Raydat and never ever had any issues like this with the motu setup:-(