Topic: Audio stuttering randomly with Multiface II+PCMCIA Cardbus

I experience a severe problem for a while now and I have been unable to find a cure.

This is the case:

I create a new project in Cubase 4, load a VSTi, record some midi, and in random times audio starts stuttering playing the last buffer for 2-3 seconds.

This does not happen in heavy projects but in newly created and light as well.
My system is optimized for audio recording. Here are my specs:

Toshiba Laptop Satelite
Intel Core2Duo T7400 2.16Ghz
4Gigs of RAM
7200SATA hard drive
RME Multiface II latest drivers 3.075
PCMCIA Cardbus flash updated
PCMCIA Controller on laptop:Texas Instruments
Frontier Design Alpha Track
Novation Nocturn
Windows XP 32

I have already tried the DPC Latency Checker tool and when the stuttering occurred there is no overhead at all. I have even made a video showing this if this helps. Internal soundcard is disabled.

Also I would like to note that Cubase 4.5.2 does not show any CPU overhead when the stuttering is happening. Moreover, after the 2-3 seconds that the stuttering lasts, everything gets back to normal and I may continue working for a while before another audio buffer stuttering occurs.

This is one of the most difficult things to solve that I have encountered so far. There is no error, no log file, it happens unexpectedly, everything seems normal (even DPC shows normal behavior) and everything returns to normal after the problem has occurred.

I am almost going out of my mind with this one.

Any help would be more than welcome. Thank you in advance.

2 (edited by s_sibs 2009-03-19 01:01:03)

Re: Audio stuttering randomly with Multiface II+PCMCIA Cardbus

I'm also having the same issue as you (except I have a RME HDSP PCI card) when using any MIDI device I own (Zendrum ZAP, Korg PadKontrol, M-Audio Pro Keys88). Same results with both the USB port with the Korg PadKontrol drivers and with the RME Digiface MIDI Inputs. And with both USB MIDI and RME MIDI and the Pro Keys88.

When playing Superior Drummer 2 and EZdrummer every once and awhile (but it will happen every session I run) I get the playback loop/hang and Cubase seems to freeze while looping the same 1/2 second of audio and then un-hangs. In my case, any MIDI being recorded doesn't get recorded but once Cubase un-hangs, the playback cursor seems to be where it should be but no data was recorded during the hang.

I've tried just about everything I could think of...loading small, under 200MB kits in S2 and EZD but it doesn't make a difference...hang/loop still happens.

My system:

- Intel D865PERL Motherboard
- P4 3.0 Ghz
- Windows XP Home SP2
- 2GB RAM Dual Channel DDRAM
- RME Digiface (latest drivers Version 3.076)
- RME HDSP PCI card
- 7200 RPM System hard drive
- 10K RPM WD Raptor audio hard drive
- 7200 RPM Glyph FW sample hard drive
- (2) UAD-1 PCI DSP Cards
- Powercore Compact
- Texas Instruments FW Card
- Cubase 4.5.2
- Buffer size - MIDI input: 128 samples
- 24-bit 48Khz for some projects. OR 24-bit 44.1Khz for others

I've read and tried the emulated ports things that someone on the Cubase forum suggested but every combo still results in the hang/looping. It's been very disheartening because I think that maybe a port combo (WindowsMIDI on Inputs and DirectMusic emulated on MIDI Outs) and it works for a few minutes but then boom...hang/loop!

I've tried other VSTi like Trilogy and using my Prokeys88 (both USB and MIDI) I couldn't reproduce this. But then I tried my Addictive Drums demo and it happened there.

I've tried this in Cubase SX3.1.1 and it doesn't happen in there at all. So, this issue is either from Cubase 4.5.2 only or some RME MIDI driver issue because both Dom and I have RME soundcards (I have a Digiface and he has a Multiface). I've been working on this since October '08 trying to get this fixed but to no avail. I've gone back to Cubase SX3 because I've got to get work done and can't risk this happening in front of a client in the middle of a session. Thank God that I have SX3 and it works because I'd be up the creek without a river...I really have no other ideas as to what it could be.

As an added note, we have a beta tester for Toontrack that has also experienced this with his Cubase 4.5.2 setup. He's running a RME 9632 card.

Frustrated beyond belief...

Scott Sibley
Technical Advisor-Toontrack Music
Owner?Engineer?Producer
Rainbow Sounds Recording

If you completely disable the RME MIDI port within Cubase carefully then the error has nothing to do with our MIDI driver, but seems to be the usual system hickup because the system is doing something different in that moment. Can you try to find out what that is? Excessive hard drive access? Background network? CD-ROM access?

Besides DPCL it would also makes sense to open Task Manager and check for a short momentary high CPU load triggering this.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

If you completely disable the RME MIDI port within Cubase carefully then the error has nothing to do with our MIDI driver, but seems to be the usual system hickup because the system is doing something different in that moment. Can you try to find out what that is? Excessive hard drive access? Background network? CD-ROM access?

Besides DPCL it would also makes sense to open Task Manager and check for a short momentary high CPU load triggering this.

Hello Matthias, thank you for the reply,

In my case, I have used DPC to monitor the whole time along with task manager open. The results: No spikes in DPC and Task manager showed a usage of 5% on both cores, with no spikes as well.

For what it's worth, I was able to reproduce this on a completely different system(desktop Quadcore, DPC latency of 15-20ms) with RME Fireface 800. Fortunately I have many different RME cards in my disposal different studios(Multiface, FF800, 9632 :-) ). I was recording midi through a CME UF50 midi keyboard connected directly to the FF800's midi ports, with a simple patch of Prologue, Cubase's built in synth on an empty project. It is definately not a CPU or other performance issue since neither DPC nor Task Manager show any activity at all.

Please, if you have any other ideas to suggest, they are more than welcome. Like s_sibs, I am scared to death to record midi in front of a client because of this problem and I am recording a commercial record at the time. Whatsmore I teach audio engineering and music technology in a worldwide college and right now I am not able to give lectures with my RME in fear of the problem occurring during a lecture or presentation.

Hope that we can sort it out after all,

Regards,
Domenico

MC wrote:

If you completely disable the RME MIDI port within Cubase carefully then the error has nothing to do with our MIDI driver, but seems to be the usual system hickup because the sysdtem is doing something different in that moement.

Yes, I tried making all RME Digiface MIDI ports 'Inactive' and use on the M-Audio ProKeys88 USB MIDI In port and it still did the hang/loop.

Can you try to find out what that is? Excessive hard drive access? Background network? CD-ROM access?

This happens in a project with EZdrummer with no audio track loaded and just 1 MIDI track with EZD on it. EZD loads about 245MB of samples into RAM (no disk streaming). My system has 2GB of RAM. My RME buffer is at 128 samples. The CPU meter in Cubase is around 10%.

This also happened with Synthogy's Ivory today with only Ivory loaded. The samples are on a Glyph FW drive. I think Ivory uses some disk streaming.

Also, with Task Manager open there are no spikes until after hang/loop in Cubase and then the 'release' causes a spike.

So, it must be Cubase 4.5.2?

With all of the C4.5.2 users out there it is strange that a few of us are having this issue and we all have RME sound cards. I'm not saying it is an RME driver issue. I'm just wondering why this would only affect a few and the only similarities are C4.5.2 and RME.

Scott Sibley
Owner?Engineer?Producer
Rainbow Sounds Recording

It would be really nice to have a different audio interface as comparison on these systems...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Another one confirming this problem

I used win xp x64 and have experienced this problem in cubase 5, cubase 4 and toontrack solo

Looks like someone else has had this issue.

http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4410

His setup is Logic on a Mac.

Scott Sibley
Owner?Engineer?Producer
Rainbow Sounds Recording

Ok today I did some arranging in another studio. I was recording midi.

Completely different system again. a Quadcore Q9400 CPU PC with:

Windows XP Professional SP2
ATI Graphics Card
Optimized for music
Cubase 5 sequencer
4Gigs of RAM
RME Fireface 800

Stuttering problem occurred here as well.

So now he have 3 different RME interfaces with the same symptoms on totally different systems: Multiface II, Digiface and Fireface 800.

I believe this is a serious matter for RME to consider, even if it is a bit difficult to reproduce in the first place(you have to record some midi for a while.

I am thinking of getting a new desktop PC and I was going to get a PCI express card to use my Multiface II on it or even a Fireface800 instead but right now I am holding back as I am afraid that this problem will remain forever since it happens on any PC I've used with an RME on it.

@MC:
I wish I had another audio interface to test this as well but unfortunately as it seems we are all big fans of RME here:-) and this is logical as they are in my opinion (and in many other professionals' opinions) the most stable audio interfaces in the market right now. However this problem really lets some people down. And I thing that it deserves some investigation since it happens on so many completely different systems( I have a laptop, the other studio I work in has a desktop, s_sibs also has a dekstop and another user reported this problem on a MAC). So I believe it's time this should be looked into, can you assist us a bit MC?

Hi,

How many tracks playback/recording
How many plugins
what buffert/latency settings etc

regards S-EH

S-E Hansson wrote:

Hi,

How many tracks playback/recording
How many plugins
what buffert/latency settings etc

regards S-EH

Hi,

In my case(but other users have reported this as well) it even happens with just one VSTI i.e. HalionOne(very light) or Ivory or Superior Drummer on an empty project.
No other plugins, no audio tracks.
I usually use 256 or 512 buffer sizes, I have tried many different sizes to no avail.

I also emailed RME support, a few during the previous week but got no reply. Does anybody know if this is because the support stuff is busy with the Messe?

I have the same problems with RME HDSP9632 PCI on Cubase 4 and 5. Also with a new project and 2 small VSTi's. Nothing more.

Today I updated to the newest firmware (fut_wdm_dsp.zip) and driver (hdsp_wdm_3077.zip). It did not help.

Are here any new experiences ?

Best Regards, Carsten

carstenw wrote:

I have the same problems with RME HDSP9632 PCI on Cubase 4 and 5. Also with a new project and 2 small VSTi's. Nothing more.

Today I updated to the newest firmware (fut_wdm_dsp.zip) and driver (hdsp_wdm_3077.zip). It did not help.

Are here any new experiences ?

Best Regards, Carsten

Hi Carsten,

Unfortunately, there is not a solution to the problem yet.

That said, I have already emailed RME support and as they told me they are investigating.

Since you have the same problem, it would be a good idea to send them an email as well describing your full setup so that maybe it is easier for the support team to sort this out.

This has been here for a while and I hope a fix is coming soon, because I really don't want to part with my RME gear at all. So far all my RME cards(I have a Multiface II in my studio and in the other studios I work I insisting on RME audio interfaces) which include Multiface II, Fireface 800 and before that a 9632, were rock stable. Maybe other manufacturers offer more bells and whistles but RME means quality, reliability and stability.

This is the only problem I have encountered so far and unfortunately, it is a show stopper no:

I really hope a fix is on its way...

OK, I sent a Mail to RME

Also here's my environment ...
Mainboard : Intel DP35DP
CPU : Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2,4 GHz
RAM : 4 GB
Operating System : Windows XP Professional 32 Bit, SP 3, latest Updates
Sound :
# Type : RME HDSP 9632 PCI
# Driver Date : 27.03.2009
# Version : 3.07.7
# Hardware Revision : 154
DSP : UAD-1 PCI
Controller : Frontier Alphatrack
Software : Cubase 5.01

I also hope that a fix is on its way ...

It's so bad with the loops and also now with loosing MIDI OFF Notes that I make a trial with my old soundcard Terratec EWX 2496 XL PCI. :-(

to be continued ...

Regards,
Carsten

I removed my RME and build in my Terratec EWX 2496 XL, a very old card. But it works without hanging and looping. I am soooooooo happy. That must be felt if I could fly  :-)  Creativity is no longer killed by my RME !

Best Regards,
Carsten

carstenw wrote:

I removed my RME and build in my Terratec EWX 2496 XL, a very old card. But it works without hanging and looping. I am soooooooo happy. That must be felt if I could fly  :-)  Creativity is no longer killed by my RME !

Best Regards,
Carsten

Wow...

I have no chance to try another soundcard on my system, I may have an EMU 0404USB for a while in the future but sounds like really bad news...

Using another soundcard to test is what MC suggested a while ago but I was unable to do it. So, this seems like it is an RME issue after all.

I for sure will postpone my purchase of the PCI Express card I was planning to make until this is officially acknowledged as an issue and a fix is released.

I am really disappointed now...RME used to be my audio interfaces of choice for a long time and I have suggested it to many many professionals in the business.

Everything back !
Sorry for the frustration...

Also the Terratec EWX 2496 XL makes loops ! Later and not so nice reproducable like with the RME. But I tested it now for a while. First I was in heaven. But then came the loop. The loop time is less than from RME. Maybe because of different latency (RME 256, Terratec 512)  Also at each crash sent the problem report to Microsoft in advance to get a solution report.

OK, any suggestions how to continue ?

I will try to remove Frontier Alphatrack and the old driver for RME .

to be continued ...

I removed Frontier Alphatrack (software and hardware) and the old driver for RME.

Nothing changed ! The loop is continued even if Cubase is exited like before with RME. Loop sounds even at an smaller latency with the same frequency but with a higher frequency as from RME. And endlessly !

sh.. happens !

I mailed Steinberg but no responce until now
Also I sign in in the Steinberg forum. No responce from administrator until now. The admin has to confirm my signing then I am allowed to post in the forum.

That's bad. If we could get help ? Or are we to less ?

Another trial was to change the link to the CPU which cubase was attached at start time to. I tried to link cubase only to CPU 0 but no better result.

If ASIO drivers are disabled when cubase is running in background then I have the chance to stop the loop before killing the cubase process. If I enable it the loop continues until I disable the soundcard and enable it afterwards even if the cubase process was killed.

Another information : at the moment no response until now from RME or  Steinberg

Best Regards

Carsten

Now I removed my virus scanner and saved the project under a different filename ... no change :-(

Interesting. Would it be possible for you to record the loop (Audio and/or video) and mail it to me?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

The video has a size of 26 MB. I try to send it to your address

Regards, Carsten

Today I also updated my BIOS of the Mainboard  Intel DP35DP to the latest state and also the chip drivers.
No change.
Regards, Carsten

@Daniel
I tried to send a Mail to you but there was the following resonse of your system ...

Dies ist eine automatisch erstellte Benachrichtigung ?ber den Zustellstatus.

?bermittlung an folgende Empf?nger fehlgeschlagen ...

Regards, Carsten

Seems like the attachment of your mail was to big. Some providers accept only small file sizes (< 15 MB) Please try to upload the file somewhere (e. g. Rapidshare) and send Daniel the link.

best regards
Knut

My Dealer sent me another information...
I translated it from German to English...

Computers for music production should have always a CPU with G0 Stepping. In forums a lot of users with problems had a B3 Stepping.

So he mentioned to read this information wit the program CPU-z. So I did. Here is the dump.

Processors Information
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Processor 1 (ID = 0)
Number of cores        4 (max 4)
Number of threads    4 (max 4)
Name            Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
Codename        Kentsfield
Specification        Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU    Q6600  @ 2.40GHz
Package            Socket 775 LGA (platform ID = 4h)
CPUID            6.F.B
Extended CPUID        6.F
Core Stepping        G0
Technology        65 nm
Core Speed        1600.1 MHz (6.0 x 266.7 MHz)
Rated Bus speed        1066.8 MHz
Stock frequency        2400 MHz
Instructions sets    MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, EM64T
L1 Data cache        4 x 32 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size
L1 Instruction cache    4 x 32 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size
L2 cache        2 x 4096 KBytes, 16-way set associative, 64-byte line size
FID/VID Control        yes
FID range        6.0x - 9.0x
max VID            1.288 V
Features        , VT

If I see it right, the Core Stepping is G0. So this shouldn't be the problem.

@Daniel Fuchs
I sent you the download link via PM

@Admin Knut
Thank you for the hint

Carsten

Got it - is this exactly the same phenomenon as with the RME...?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Nearly. I will make a video with the RME and send you the link

Hi Carsten,

Would it be possible to upload the video somewhere where everybody can watch it so that we can determine if we have the same problem?

Or maybe email it?

Thank you very much.

Someone pointed me to this thread. I have Fireface 800 and get stuttering with Cubase 5.01 and Toontrack Superior 2.1. It has also happened once with Toontrack Solo. However, my stuttering crashes the main application and a machine gun like noise then continues until I restart the application from scratch.

Asus P5W dlx, Intel Core Quad Q6600, Corsair RAM 3 GB. Latest RME drivers.

I have no time at the moment for making a video. Maybe at weekend. For sending it by mail the avtual video is too big and with rapidshare it's only possible to download tem times.
@tombuur
Yes it sounds like a maschine gun

Carsten

I have the same problem, but by what I read here and in Cubase.net forum, I am nearly 100% convinced, that this is a Cubase4/5-bug. The thing is, RME is more concerned than Cubase seems to....

tonmanns

tonmanns wrote:

I have the same problem, but by what I read here and in Cubase.net forum, I am nearly 100% convinced, that this is a Cubase4/5-bug. The thing is, RME is more concerned than Cubase seems to....

tonmanns

I have always been happy with RME support/updates etc. I can't say the same about Steinberg.

Hello everyone,

I was searching the forum about this and I found this thread.

I also have the same problem.
Randomly, when I record midi from my midi keyboard, the last audio played by the corresponding VSTi is played in loop. Then recording continues.

I am using Cubase 5.01, RME Fireface 800(latest drivers), Intel Q9400 CPU, 4gigs of RAM, ATI RADEON HD4350, Windows XP32. I have tried several latency buffers with no success. Midi keyboard is connected with midi cables to the Fireface's midi ports.

The project does not have to be heavy for this to happen. As other users said it happens in projects even with only one VSTi.

Has anyone found any solution to this?

Thank you

Update:

I borrowed and used an EMU 0404USB audio interface for the last two weeks and I did not have the problem.
However, to be honest I strongly believe this is not just an RME issue. I believe this is a Cubase issue primarily which also affects RME audio interfaces.

Hopefully RME will contact Steinberg and find a solution. I don't have many hopes for Steinberg but I trust RME. I have a feeling that they will not let us down.

So I am back now

I got a PM from Steinberg.

?berpr?fen sie doch bitte mal ob sie die richtige Firmware zu ihrerm REM Treiber haben. Leider passiert es sehr leicht, dass man den Treiber updated und die Firmware vergisst. Dann kommtz es genau zu solchen Ph?nomenen.

I try to translate it to the english language

find out if the firmware is the right for your REM driver. It happens very easy to forget to update the firmware after updating the driver. Then the specified problem occurs.

I updated both to the newest Version. Driver and firmware.

Now can anybody tell me what a REM driver is ?

No change since then.

But it also happens with my terratec soundcard

carstenw wrote:

I got a PM from Steinberg.

?berpr?fen sie doch bitte mal ob sie die richtige Firmware zu ihrerm REM Treiber haben. Leider passiert es sehr leicht, dass man den Treiber updated und die Firmware vergisst. Dann kommtz es genau zu solchen Ph?nomenen.

That's news to me... HeadScratch

Now can anybody tell me what a REM driver is?

RME... Wiht a tpyo, ilke wehn yuo wirte too fsat, sometmies teh lettesr appaer ni hte worgn sqeuecne...
fryingpan

But it also happens with my terratec soundcard

Then it doesn't seem to be an RME issue, at least on your PC.

Regards,
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

As I mentioned I got a PM from technical support of Steinberg from Mr Rodens. I gave him now a hint to take a look at

"Cubase freezes and stutters while recording midi--SERIOUS--", the Steinberg forum and

http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4975, the RME forum

Best Regards

Carsten

I took two videos with sound to show what happens with my both soundcards.
There was always only one card at the same time in my PC and I also removed drivers for the removed card.

Please keep in mind that that audiotrack is for demonstrating and reproductioning the stuttering ;-)

Take a view and hear

RME : http://rapidshare.com/files/228521455/rme.AVI

Terratec : http://rapidshare.com/files/228521823/terratec.AVI

Best Regards,

Carsten

@ Daniel Fuchs

RME... Wiht a tpyo, ilke wehn yuo wirte too fsat, sometmies teh lettesr appaer ni hte worgn sqeuecne...
fryingpan

OUCH :-)

carstenw wrote:

As I mentioned I got a PM from technical support of Steinberg from Mr Rodens. I gave him now a hint to take a look at

"Cubase freezes and stutters while recording midi--SERIOUS--", the Steinberg forum and

http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4975, the RME forum

Best Regards

Carsten

This is exactly the behavior I get but in my case the stuttering stops after 3-5 seconds and Cubase continues working as normal...I hope RME is working together with Steinberg on that issue. In my case the use of an EMU interface solved the problem so it seems as a Cubase issue that affects some audio interfaces including RME...

45 (edited by s_sibs 2009-05-04 03:22:00)

I get the same behavior as carstenw in his video but, like Dom, mine unhangs after 3-5 seconds as well and continues working. If I happened to be recording MIDI at the time, the playback cursor is in the position as if nothing happened but nothing is recorded.

Scott Sibley
Owner?Engineer?Producer
Rainbow Sounds Recording

hello carstenw,
I also have a DP35DP,currently running with digiface but I will exchange this with my hdsp 9652.I remember I had your problem once.It sounded more like your video with the terratec.changed several things since then,have been only busy with audio tracks since then and few vsti midi tracks.have not encountered it again.I am about to start 3 new songs with MIDI and vsti s and will report back.which BIOS do you use? AHCI or IDE setting in BIOS?
prost

Yesterday I had a loop in a new project while recording MIDI during playing Native Instrument's Akoustik Piano. Arghhh

Carsten

sosho wrote:

hello carstenw,
[...]I also have a DP35DP,currently running with digiface but I will exchange this with my hdsp 9652.I remember I had your problem once. It sounded more like your video with the terratec.[...]
prost

Hi sosho,

which BIOS do you use?

The BIOS-Version of my PC
DPP3510J.86A.0517.2009.0107.2203

AHCI or IDE setting in BIOS?

Configure SATA : IDE

Chipset Configuration / HPET (High Precision Event Timer Support) : Disabled

Carsten

49 (edited by carstenw 2009-05-07 04:07:16)

I got a reply from Steinberg

anscheinend handelt es sich hierbei um einen Bug in Zusammenhang mit RME Karten. Bis jetzt konnten weder wir noch RME genau kl?ren wo das Problem genau liegt,.
Daher kann ich ihnen leider keine L?sung f?r ihr Problem anbieten.

I try to translate it
It could be a bug in relation to RME Cards. Up to now Steinberg  and RME were not able find out where the problem comes from.
No solution could be presented

I mentioned to Steinberg that this do not only happen with RME-Cards

Carsten

50 (edited by sosho 2009-05-07 22:24:15)

did you ever try SATA at AHCI ?mine runs AHCI although I read it is not recommended.Did not touch that HPET yet and to be honest I don`t even know what it is.No problems today .I did not connect my midex 8 yet and use only 1 MIDI input on the digiface.cubase 4.5.
I do not have an UAD though.I am trying hard to remember what did when I had the strange stutter and what I changed afterwards,I just cannot remember...did you try take the UAD out ?I did have a 9632 in it and exchanged it with the digiface PCI card.It MIGHT have been when I exchanged cards...on my mac I always pressed alt+command+p+r booting on such occasions,maybe take out the BIOS battery for 30 min ?sorry,no clue.