Topic: TotalMix needs a re-design... Place your Vote Here!

If you think TotalMix is perfect... needs a few additions... or needs a complete overhaul... Post here! smile

Please use this topic to post ANY posative or negative comments on TotalMix.

( hdsp pci + digiface + adi8pro + adi8ds )

Re: TotalMix needs a re-design... Place your Vote Here!

Hello all:
      As a 30+ year veteran board-banger (studio rat), I purchased the FF800 for its high audio quality both analogue and digital.  Having survived one firmware upgrade and new drivers with no problems, I am quite pleased with the unit.  TotalMix was a bit frustrating to get the hang of (still not really scratched the surface yet) but I've been able to configure what I need as I go so far.  I am one of the guilty who resort to the manual only when desperate, so my experience has been pretty smooth.  I will say this: a truly flexible and comprehensive system sacrifices simplicity for detail.  As a pro, I'll take that every time.  New devices for the "idiot-proof" users often lack sophistication.  As someone who has owned a Dynacord DRP20 since 1988 and has been programming it extensively all the while, I guess I'm lucky to have learned the "Deutsch" way of thinking!  Cheerio - H.

I love the Matrix. Totally delicious! hehe!

My own personal oppinion is that the UI needs to be re-designed. The GUI colors and graphics are a bit old school too... but, personally, I would like to see the layout done better (with "ease-of-use" being priority). This will take involvement with outside interface designers (someone very knowledgable with DAW software products). i.e., A designer who thinks more "right-brained, like so many of us artists". For example... I have no issue routing anything anywhere with Nuendo/Cubase... but, for some damn reason the TotalMix thing doesn't compute in my brain... and I've been trying for years now! Yeah, the graphics look like old nuendo... that's not the point. It's something about the whole three layered mixers, the dropdown menus full of options, and mostly that whole ability to check more that one thing in the drop-down box. All I can say is... I'm very dyslexic, and most of this stuff always makes perfect sense to me, but not totalmix sad

I think, if it was layed out like an analog mixer, that might help a lot! Or, if it showed something similar to virtual cables (like Reason, maybe, that's a long shot...). All I know is that I can easily understand a Neve or SSL console, and I have no problem with the ProTools or Nuendo mixer. But no matter how much I try to understand TotalMix it makes my brain hurt. I'm sorry... I'm sure it makes perfect sense to many of you, and I'm not putting ny of you down at all. I'm simply suggesting some kind of interface update that is more like the software and hardware we are used to using (I know some will say it's like that already, I've had this argument before, but if it was it would make sense to me).

That's my take on it.

Studio 201 wrote:

It's something about the whole three layered mixers, the dropdown menus full of options, and mostly that whole ability to check more that one thing in the drop-down box.

Since we introduced the new submix view with selection by clicking in the lowest row I never use the drop-down boxes anymore. So I am asking myself if you missed this feature somehow.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I am still very much impressed by the features and simpicity of total mix, especially as Matthias said, the submix view is very nice and effective. There are only two points which would make my personal life easier ;-)

1) Most of the time I use headphone out and AN1+2 out synchronously for monitoring on location. Would it be possible to permanently link two routings, that one out always mirrors the other (every change immediatly happens also in the other out)? Maybe this is already possible and I missed it... (I know of the copying of routings of course, but that seems a bit unpractical. when I make a few minor changes only here and there I quickly loose overview). At the moment I use an external mixer to split AN1+2 between headphone and monitors which is another additional item to carry and build up on location.

2) Most of the time I work with only 2-6 channels (classical chamber music). Would it be possible to hide the unused channels for a smaller mixer window? Now I allways have either a too big window for the screen or I have to scroll before I can reach the right side of the mixer window, with all it's important feature's like group Mute/solo etc.

Best regards
Hermann Platzer

Ability to hide unused portions is a good idea!

FF800, i7 970, 12GB Ram, Win 7 64, Cubase 5, WaveLab 7

MC wrote:
Studio 201 wrote:

It's something about the whole three layered mixers, the dropdown menus full of options, and mostly that whole ability to check more that one thing in the drop-down box.

Since we introduced the new submix view with selection by clicking in the lowest row I never use the drop-down boxes anymore. So I am asking myself if you missed this feature somehow.

I LOVE the submix feature but PLEASE add midi CC#s to control submix selection! I thinkk Totalmix is fantastic, simple but really powerful. The only thing I would like is full midi implementation (with Fireface driver 266, we're part way there, HOORAY!).

liuto wrote:

Most of the time I use headphone out and AN1+2 out synchronously for monitoring on location. Would it be possible to permanently link two routings, that one out always mirrors the other (every change immediatly happens also in the other out)? Maybe this is already possible and I missed it...

Yes. It is explained in the section about the Monitor Panel:

Monitor Phones 1/2/3
Use the drop down menu to select the hardware outputs where the submixes are sent to. These submixes are usually phones mixdowns for the musicians. A click on the button allows to hear the specific submix via the Main Monitor outputs. So when setting up or modifying the submix for the musician this process can be monitored easily and any time. Or in other words: you can easily check other hardware outputs/submixes by using the Monitor Phones function, without the need to copy/paste routings back and forth, or to reconfigure the cabling at the hardware.

Or in other words: activating Monitor Phones gives the 'double output' feature of a single submix, exactly like you want it. Example: Set AN 3+4 as Monitor Main, and AN 1+2 as Monitor Phones. Activate Monitor Phones. Now every change done for the AN 1+2 submix is 'heared' at the AN 3+4 output as well.

A floating panel is on our list.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

[Use the drop down menu to select the hardware outputs where the submixes are sent to. These submixes are usually phones mixdowns for the musicians. A click on the button allows to hear the specific submix via the Main Monitor outputs. So when setting up or modifying the submix for the musician this process can be monitored easily and any time. Or in other words: you can easily check other hardware outputs/submixes by using the Monitor Phones function, without the need to copy/paste routings back and forth, or to reconfigure the cabling at the hardware.

Another GREAT reason to have midi CC#s for submixes anf headphone routing...

Hi Hermann,
nice to see you here...

liuto wrote:

2) Most of the time I work with only 2-6 channels (classical chamber music). Would it be possible to hide the unused channels for a smaller mixer window? Now I allways have either a too big window for the screen or I have to scroll before I can reach the right side of the mixer window, with all it's important feature's like group Mute/solo etc.

I'm all in favour of that... ;-)

Regards,
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Yes. It is explained in the section about the Monitor Panel:

Monitor Phones 1/2/3
Use the drop down menu to select the hardware outputs where the submixes are sent to. These submixes are usually phones mixdowns for the musicians. A click on the button allows to hear the specific submix via the Main Monitor outputs. So when setting up or modifying the submix for the musician this process can be monitored easily and any time. Or in other words: you can easily check other hardware outputs/submixes by using the Monitor Phones function, without the need to copy/paste routings back and forth, or to reconfigure the cabling at the hardware.

Or in other words: activating Monitor Phones gives the 'double output' feature of a single submix, exactly like you want it. Example: Set AN 3+4 as Monitor Main, and AN 1+2 as Monitor Phones. Activate Monitor Phones. Now every change done for the AN 1+2 submix is 'heared' at the AN 3+4 output as well.

A floating panel is on our list.

Matthias, many thanks for your help! I tried this feature before but somehow did not understand it fully. But what you describe is exactly what I need. Great!
Regards
Hermann Platzer

RME Support wrote:

Hi Hermann,
nice to see you here...

liuto wrote:

I'm all in favour of that... ;-)

Regards,
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Hi, Daniel, so this is your other life... ;-)

Best regards
Hermann

Sid Chigger wrote:

That might help a little. Good idea.

15 (edited by panatrope 2007-05-26 10:02:22)

I am also involved in location recording for the classical public station here (3mbs.org.au) as well as jazz for my program on AM public radio (3cr.org.au).  The former tends to follow a minimalist approach, often using M-S technique (totalMix's suppoprt for this was clincher in deciding in the FF400), while the latter relies on taking a split of many PA microphones. FF400/Totalmix allows me to record multitrack while doing a safety stereo mix via SPDIF out straight to CD (including decoding my M-S mic pair) ... brilliant!

I have noticed that when the two layer presentation is used. some parts of the right hand panel are not completely visible.  But yes I would like the display to exclude in active channels.   I would also like more flexibilty in stereo grouping (rather than all on/all off and/or having only one group per layer), especially for when I have a larger number of channels (more than 8) or where I have more than one stereo mic pair in use in the classical mode.

Also, I know it's not a TotalMix thing, but again more flexibility in how FW bandwidth is restricted.  For instance I would like to be able to select only ADAT active or SPDIF and ADAT active, as well as the present groupings. Not that I have seen any problem, but if I am only using  the ADAT input, it would seem reasonable to be able to disable the remaining channels on FW.)

Now all I have to do is figure out how I get the control of TotalMix working with something like the BCF2000 .... yes I know it's possible, I've just got to learn how to make it work.

De gustibus - et sonus - non est disputandum

I use Totalmix for monitor mixing (01V96 connected to digiface). It's very nice and powerful but my friend who often helps me out, complains about the fact that it's not possible to enlarge the Totalmix screen. Since the resolution of my screen is quite high, the window indeed looks quiet small. Also, for my application, it would be nice to have a master, so I can attenuate all outputs at once in case of panic (feedback). Now I select all output but this is not very convenient when I want to change the output of only one monitor. Finally a remote control would be nice, I've bought a BCF2000 but I didn't manage to make it work yet. Probably that's more because of my own limitations rather than the limitations of TotalMix :-)

Sid Chigger wrote:

+1

Especially with MADI systems...

Regards,

b.

https://granurise.com

18 (edited by fishbone 2010-06-17 18:32:39)

Hi,

TotalMix is indeed one of the most flexible and well thought routing software that I ever used.

But it wouldn't hurt to give it a little facelift, maybe something like that nice Control Panel that comes with the new Babyface:

http://www.rme-audio.de/images/press_do … enshot.jpg

It's much more easy to the eyes!

see ya

TotalMix is great as it is!

I'd only wish for some deeper grouping options. 'Grouping per submix' would be helpful sometimes.

20 (edited by Byt3 2010-06-20 02:32:49)

The Most important feature Totalmix desperately needs is an OPTIONAL Bigger Higher Resolution Version.
Id say a fireface 800 for example, should have the option to be displayed fully on a 1080p screen, so you can toss it at a dedicated  screen at the studio & be done with it.
A madi card, with its IOs taken into account' should follow suit etc etc.

It should be made so you can select at least from two sizes.
also, the new babyface design would be nice, if not as rewarding without the dsp.

Byt3 wrote:

The Most important feature Totalmix desperately needs is an OPTIONAL Bigger Higher Resolution Version.
Id say a fireface 800 for example, should have the option to be displayed fully on a 1080p screen, so you can toss it at a dedicated  screen at the studio & be done with it.
A madi card, with its IOs taken into account' should follow suit etc etc.

It should be made so you can select at least from two sizes.
also, the new babyface design would be nice, if not as rewarding without the dsp.

Yes, or bigger higher resolution version, or ability to hide unused channel.

Perhaps it could acquire a Ribbon?

NO! NO! I was only joking!!!!