1 (edited by ramses 2014-08-31 16:29:27)

Topic: UFX: FW drv problem with certain sampling frequencies and Win7 crashes

Hi,

its the 1st time that I tried to work with sampling frequencies other than 44.1 kHz (Cubase 7.5.20 64bit),
with unexpected results when using firewire.

44.1 kHz .. ok (with 48 samples buffersize)
48 kHz .. not possible, distorted sound (with clicks/pops), 7 Errors/second (*)
64, 88.2, 96 .. ok again (with 96 samples buffersize)
176,4 kHz .. not possible, distorted sound (with clicks/pops), with around 4,5 errors/second (*)
192 .. not possible, distorted sound (with clicks/pops) (*)
(*) = increasing ASIO buffersize doesn't help

If you quit Cubase at this point at 192, when it has this issues, then Windows either completely resets (a real hard crash without bluescreen) or gets a bluescreen with "IRQ not less or equal". I had a complete reset without bluescreen 2 times and 1 time a bluescreen with the mentioned message.

This was with a Lindy Firewire cable of very food quality which I use since 4y. But to exclude cabling problems I took the original RME cable out of the package, but then no change, its the same behaviour with the original RME Fw cable.

I tried the same then with the USB driver and there were absolutely no issues to change all sample frequencies back and forth up to 192 kHz.

The samplerate I changed inside of cubase. I used a brand new file with no single audio inside to save the time for Cubase questioning whether I want to convert audio to new sample frequency (did this a few times, goes faster without).

During my firewire tests I tried to simplify the setup by configuring in Cubase only 1 Input Device (Analog 10) and as Output only Analog 1+2. But even then it has these problem. Also if I simply turn-off the OctpPre Pre-amp. In the Firewire driver I also disabled MMCSS for ASIO, but also enabling or disabling this makes no difference.

The PC has been completely new installed 3 weeks ago as I migrated from Home Premium to Ultimate and I wanted a clean installation and while doing this cleanup my cubase installation. The PC has been fine tuned for Audio using the guide from Timo which serves me well since a couple of years. I disabled everything in terms of energy saving and speed step to achieve a stable clock of 2.Ghz for the CPU, as I found out that this reduces. Unneeded devices I disabled in the BIOS (internal VIA FW Card, etc see Visio, its documented there).

Although USB works fine, I am a big fan of using firewire and it would be very nice if RME could help and look what the issue is when using Firewire, many thanks upfront.

If I shall raise an official case via Synthax Germany or Thomann (where I bought the unit) then please tell me whats the best procedure to fix this.

My equipment:

MSI P55 GD-65, i7 860 (at 2.7 GHz fix no speedstep), 16 GB DRAM, Samsung 830, 2+3 TB Sata Disks, Sapphire Vapor-X

RME UFX from this year:
Firewire Driver Date: 11.7.14. Version 1053, HW Revision 357
USB Driver Date:       13.6.14, Version 3094, HW Revision 343

My setup as PDF file in more detail shall you require this: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/961 … wer-v4.pdf

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

2 (edited by ramses 2014-09-02 16:55:45)

Re: UFX: FW drv problem with certain sampling frequencies and Win7 crashes

When limiting the BW to use only "Analog 1-8 + AES" then 192kHz works. But not 48kHz.

I tried different different Fw driver (normal and "legacy") and now also my VIA Fw chip on board.

While trying/changing different settings inside Cubase (Samplerate) and in the RME Fw Driver now of all sudden I get a different problem. When booting Windows the Firewire driver keeps a clock rate of "0". Even if I do not start cubase in anyway the clockrate stays at "0". Pitch settings are also unusual, and the limitation of BW also turns to "Analog 1-8".

These are my standard settings:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/96192996/pc/2014-09-02%2017_43_12-Fireface%20Settings-ok.jpg

And this I get now on each reboot:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/96192996/pc/2014-09-02%2017_43_12-Fireface%20Settings.jpg

Where does the RME Firewire Driver remember its clock and other settings ... ?
How do I get rid of this, that on each reboot the clock rate now goes to "0" instead "44.1 kHz" ???

Thanks for any help.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Did you try a different cable yet? It's always a good first stop to check.

Yes I did Timur. 1st I used a Lindy Quality Cable (it was in use since 4y on this particular machine, 1st with the Focusrite LS56 now with the UFX). Then I tried with the RME Firewire Cable that was shipped and these 2 cables made no difference.

Could it perhaps be the case, that the Firewire driver is more picky about the situation, that the connected pre-amp is unable to sync on higher clocks ? Its permanently set to 44.1, as I only want to use the UFX channels at 192kHz ...

The USB driver seem to have absolutely no problems with this, is maybe firewire different "by nature" and has other requirements ?!?!?!

I will perform now a test and disconnect the OctoPre and see whether this makes a difference.

Any idea why now the Fw driver always stays at 0 kHz after a reboot of all devices (including proper power cycle) ???

Go to the About tab and toggle the 'Lock Registry' option. But this looks more like broken FireWire communication in the first place. With all your tests done I wouldn't exclude the UFX FW port from being defective.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Just in case, if you own a third cable, try that, too. Just this week there was one case on the forum where someone had two broken cables. So it's not unheard of.

7 (edited by ramses 2014-09-02 19:24:18)

The problem with "0kHz sample frequency" after reboot went away after reinstalling the RME fw/usb drivers.

@Timur: ok I will try with a different firewire cable. But this I need to order ... lasts 2-3 days. Lets see, undecided on this.

@MC: thanks for your feedback, highly appreciated Matthias. Lock registry I never enabled. Only in TotalMix I enabled the tick box to store settings for all users. But the samplefrequency I assume has nothing to do with this and is only driver related. At the end the driver new installation fixed "0 kHz" problem.

BTW .. I contacted Synthax as I registered the device there for getting longer service. They said I shall send it for repair and they send me a cost estimate or treat it as warranty. Well I think this was a generic statement, as the device is only 4 month old and I do not intend to pay during warranty.

I also contacted Thomann as I bought it from there and am a good customer there. They eventually could send me a loan device while its in rapair. So this would definitively be the better choice for me. Thomann also suggested, that I should perhaps contact RME directly, maybe they have an idea, before sending it for repair to them.

@MC: Matthias, what do you think is the best way to proceed here ?

I will make now a last test and disconnect the preamp (OctoPre) and look whether the Samplefrequency check will work then with Fw. Eventually I will try als different Fw cable as suggested by Timur ..

8 (edited by ramses 2014-09-02 20:25:29)

Ok, I removed now the OctoPre Mk II. Removed TOSlink cables completely. Removed the Wordclock 75Ohm sommer cable and deactivated the internal 75 Ohm termination in the UFX. I configured in the Fw driver 7 WDM devices (no ADAT to be seen there).

Then under Cubase 7.5.20 I removed in the VST connections all ADAT channels in the Inputs and Outputs. Am not shure whether this is required but appears to me cleaner for this test.

Sample Rate / Buffersize:
44.1 - ok with sample sizes >= 48 (48 is the min.), BW: "all channels"
48    - does not work in any way (no sound to be heard at all, no clicks, no pops,..), 7 Errors/sec
          limiting Bandwidth from "all channels" to "Analog 1-8 + AES" doesn't help
          raising buffersize from 48 to at min. 64 samples (up to 2048) fixes the issue here, BW: "all channels"
64 - ok with sample sizes >= 96 (96 is the min.), BW: "all channels"
88.2 - ok with sample sizes >= 96 (96 is the min.), BW: "all channels"
96   - ok with sample sizes >= 96 (96 is the min.), BW: "all channels"
176 - sound from Mic gets interrupted, I hear clicks and "grizzling noise", error counter slowly increasing (~1,8 error/sec), sample size is 192 (min.) and BW "all channels" ....
        limiting the BW to "Analog + AES" fixes the issue, even with lowest buffersize 192 samples.
        raising the buffer size up to 2048 samples and keeping BW to "all channels" doesnt fix the issue
192 - sound from Mic gets interrupted, I hear clicks and "grizzling noise", error counter increasing more rapidly (~2,7 error/sec), sample size is 192 (min.) and BW "all channels" ....
        limiting the BW to "Analog + AES" fixes the issue, even with lowest buffersize 192 samples.
        raising the buffer size up to 2048 samples and keeping BW to "all channels" doesnt fix the issue

Well .. wondering now, whether this might have to deal with cable quality ...

What I do not understand is, why
a) with 48 kHz limiting the BW to "Analog 1-8 + AES" doesn't fix the problem, like it does with 176 and 192.
b) with 176 and 192 kHz raising the ASIO buffer size up to 2048 doesn't fix the issue, but when limiting the BW from "all channels" to "Analog 1-8 + AES" then it fixes the issue even with smallest Buffersize of 192 samples.

@MC: Mathhias .. cable or HW problem  ???

BTW .. I did a check with LatencyMon 4.02, which shows a kernel timer latency of 1.5 - 5 µs with some little peaks up to 14µs. There I am pretty sure that I have no issues...

9 (edited by ramses 2014-09-02 20:47:37)

Timur Born wrote:

Just in case, if you own a third cable, try that, too. Just this week there was one case on the forum where someone had two broken cables. So it's not unheard of.

Was in that case also the original RME Firewire cable broken, that is being shipped with the device ?

What do you think about these Cables from Lindy
and the idea to buy 3 different cable lenths to see whether cable length also might make a difference here ???
Ok its € 50 hmm But then I know ...

1m http://www.lindy.de/Firewire-Kabel-Prem … mp;ci=8003
2m http://www.lindy.de/Firewire-Kabel-Prem … mp;ci=8003
3m http://www.lindy.de/Firewire-Kabel-Prem … mp;ci=8003

BTW .. my USB cable is the RME original one, plus one cable extention to an USB3 plug on PC .. even with the USB "extension" cable no problems with USB ... unbelieveable ... So with the extension I also come to approx 3m with USB ...

Lindy and Belkin cables worked well for me. I often used a setup consisting of a 5m Belkin (Pro Series) FW 800-400 cable plugged into a Lindy 5m FW repeater cable. Works even with bus-power being used on a FW400.

At this point I wouldn't buy several cables. Chances are that your device is rather faulty than the cables and we might still look at some software/setup based issues. Just saying that one user here just had the case of two broken FW cables, so trying a third one might be the easiest and fastest way to make sure.

Like Matthias wrote the whole thing sounds like general communication errors. It isn't so strange that you get different results at different sample-rates if communication itself is affected. So if the cable and your computer's Firewire port can be ruled out then you might have to get the UFX to service.

Just to make sure, do yo use the "High Performance" Windows power profile? The PCI Express "Link State Power Management" setting is disabled by default in that profile and in the past it caused at least Blue Screens in combination with a Fireface 400 during general playback (arbitrary). Doesn't seem to be an issue any more, but that's likely also hardware/setup dependent. The default "Balanced" profile has this enabled, so try switching to "High Performance" for a try.

11 (edited by ramses 2014-09-02 22:20:46)

Thanks Timur for the suggestion, but I always use the "high performance" profile and
in Cubase I have enabled the mode for "optimized audio performance from Steinberg" (translated on the fly from german),
which creates an energy profile of their own during runtime and also disables CPU Core Parking...

OK thanks for the suggestion, then I will order only one 3m Lindy cable, I need this length anyway and then I have another backup ...

12 (edited by ramses 2014-09-07 14:25:45)

Today I tried the new Lindy Premium Fw Cable. Same problems.
I also tried the 2nd port of my EYSYS card, no change as well.

Then I also tried a different Windows 7 SP1 machine, 64-bit. Lenovo T540p using a SIIG Fw Express Card with TI chip.

Card description: SIIG N301104X0354 NN-EX2012-SI.
Nearly same problems.
- 44.1, 64, 88.2, 96 kHz all ok with lowest sample frequency of 48/96 buffers and using full Fw Bandwidth (Bw) "All channels"
- With 48 kHz only raising the sample rate from 48 to 64 Buffers helps. Limiting Fw Bw to "Analog+AES" doesnt help alone
- With 176 and 192 kHz I also have problems like on my PC
- 176 kHz, All Channels, 192 Bufsize: Audio ok, no Error counter
- 176 kHz, All Channels, 256 Bufsize: Audio hearable, but clicks, no Error counter
- 176 kHz, All Channels, 384 Bufsize: Audio hearable, but clicks, no Error counter
- 176 kHz, All Channels, 512 Bufsize: Audio Outages, clicks, Some Errors shown (~4 in a minute)
- 176 kHz, All Channels, 1024 Bufsize: Audio Outages, clicks, Some Errors shown (~4 in a minute)
- 176 kHz, All Channels, 2048 Bufsize: Audio Outages, clicks, Some Errors shown (~4 in a minute)
- 176 kHz, Analog+AES, 192 Bufsize: Audio Outages, no Error counter
- 176 kHz, Analog+AES, 256 Bufsize: Audio ok, no Error counter
- 176 kHz, Analog+AES, 384 Bufsize: Audio ok, no Error counter
- 176 kHz, Analog+AES, 512 Bufsize: Audio hearable, but clicks, no Error counter
- 176 kHz, Analog+AES, 1024 Bufsize: Audio ok, no Error counter
- 176 kHz, Analog+AES, 2048 Bufsize: Audio ok, no Error counter
- 192 kHz, All Channels, 192 Bufsize: Audio ok, no Error counter
- 192 kHz, All Channels, 256 Bufsize: Audio Interruptions, Error counter incr rapidly
- 192 kHz, All Channels, 384 Bufsize: Audio ok, no Error counter
- 192 kHz, All Channels, 512 Bufsize: Audio Outages, clicks, some errors counted (2)
- 192 kHz, All Channels, 1024 Bufsize: Audio Outages, clicks, some errors counted (2)
- 192 kHz, All Channels, 2048 Bufsize: Audio Outages, clicks, some errors counted (2)
- 192 kHz, Analog+AES Channels, 192 Bufsize: Audio ok, no Error counter
- 192 kHz, Analog+AES Channels, 256 Bufsize: Audio ok, no Error counter
- 192 kHz, Analog+AES Channels, 384 Bufsize: Audio ok, no Error counter
- 192 kHz, Analog+AES Channels, 512 Bufsize: Audio ok, no Error counter
- 192 kHz, Analog+AES Channels, 1024 Bufsize: Audio ok, no Error counter
- 192 kHz, Analog+AES Channels, 2048 Bufsize: Some oudio Interruptions, 2 errors counted

When trying the USB driver on the Lenovo (on both ports USB2 and USB3),
Then at certain sample frequencies, i.e. 44.1, the changing of ASIO buffer size sometimes causes Audio to hang.
USBB driver from 11.7.14. Driver 1053. HW 357.

Test procedure (I didn't detail it yet, so here what I did)
- Connected Shure SM57 dny Micro to Input 10
- In Totalmix I mute the input of Input 10 and set the Playback channel to 0dB
  to listen DAW output in the Headphone, to get a clue if audio is fine or not when traversing Firewire/USB
- In Cubase 7.5.20 and 30 (I upgraded this weekend to latest version)
  I hit the Speaker Symbol on the audio track to be able to listen back Micro input from DAW
in the headphone connected to Analog 9/10.

To sum up

I tried 3 different Fw cables on my Windows 7 SP1 PC with the EXSYS firewire card and tested 2 different ports on that card.
I also tested the 3 different Firewire OHCI driver possibilities in Windows 7 (TI, legacy, OHCI generic), no change at all.

I also tested with a Lenovo T540p (brand new) using a SIIG Expresscard also with a firewire chip.
Nearly identical behavior with ony few "subtile" changes, but at the end always problems with 48, 174.4 and 192 kHz.
Sometimes raising the Buffersize helps, sometimes only when limiting Firewire bandwidth.

Also the USB driver has some issues when changing the ASIO Buffersize.
At 44.1 and other sample frequencies it tends to hang the playback audio from DAW when changing between ASIO
Buffersizes.

I am really disappointed. 2 weeks I need now my device at home, then I need to send it to repair.
Then I will be approx 3 weeks without any recording device... :-/

Well, things do break. Maybe the place where you bought it would replace it right away instead of sending it in? Always worth a try.

14 (edited by ramses 2014-09-07 17:06:29)

Timur Born wrote:

Well, things do break. Maybe the place where you bought it would replace it right away instead of sending it in? Always worth a try.

Hi,

well, if it breaks for others I put it also into these words tbh .. but it definitively "feels" different if you are affected on your own and if you have no spare part ...

I checked already with Thomann where I bought and have a 3y warranty and I checked with Synthax where I have a 2y "vendor warranty" (dont know they right word).

Thoman and Synthax can't send me a replacement unit. Also not a loan device. So I have to send it now to Thomann and then it will go for repair to Synthax and no matter which way I go it will last around three weeks...

I would be very glad if RME would jump in here in terms of their expense / replacement or loan device.

Hi,
I had Similar issues with Firewire (crackles, Error Counts) at higher bitrates. I Never Got this right so I moved over to usb which Also had some issues like high CPU Load or Or error counting. Finally I found a setup that runs Trouble Free on my System: A USB 3.0 PCIe Card With a Fresco Logic Chip.

There is another thread in this forum.

Regards, Michael

16 (edited by ramses 2014-09-08 11:18:33)

Thanks Michael for your feedback.

I personally "fear", that the HW replacement potentially won't bring a change, but I need to try it.

Should the HW replacement/repair not be successful, then I think RME needs to investigate on the driver side ..

Hi,
you are welcome :-) Maybe another interesting fact is, I also have an MSI Mainboard. Mine is called MSI P55-CD53 with an i5 750 CPU.
Here is a link to the card I am using:

http://www.inateck.com/inateck-ktu3fr-2 … ress-card/

Good luck,
Michael

18 (edited by ramses 2014-09-15 06:27:02)

Hi guys,

1st of all thanks for all of your feedback. Here some new interesting results...

UPDATE: 15.09.14: the results using the on board VIA chip VT6315N are even worse. 174 and 192kHz are impossible regardless which ASIO buffersizes you choose. Limiting Fw Bandwidth doesn't help. Same problems with 32 and 48 kHz, doesn't work with 48 samples, needs at least 64 samples.
Interesting is here, that the Firewire Connectivity completely hangs when choosing 174 and 192 kHz.
The Fw LED on the UFX turns off and everything hangs a bit. A reboot helps.
Sometimes you can revover by powercycling UFX and de- and re-activating the VIA driver in the Windows Device Manager.
Well this I regard as strange, that the communication between UFX and the VIA completely hangs.
Another not so nice symptom is, that the PC can't shutdown cleanly, even after waiting for 10 minutes, I needed to reset 2 times.

Now some additional interesting results with the EXSYS PCIe Card with TI XIO2200A chip:

I placed my EXSYS FW PCIe card from the 2nd last to the last PCIe socket. This made the situation even worse. 172 and 192kHz are not possible anymore, even not by limiting FW BW in the driver from "All channels" to "Analog and AES", which helped when the same card was in the 2nd last slot.

Then I place the EXSYS card to the last remaining/accessible PCIe Slot, which is a x16 Slot.
32 and 48kHz also only work with ASIO Buffer rates >=64.
But now very interesting ... Also 174 and 192kHz run completely flawlessly even with "All Channels".

The bad thing is now, as you might have expected, that my Graphic card is now limited in terms of PCIe bus bandwidth.
Without Fw card in the Slot with x16 now with only x8 ....

Here a graphic to give you an overview what worked better / worse on the MSI P55A GD65.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/96192996/pc/2014-09-14%2019_41_UFX-Errors-depending-on-PCIe-Slot-used.jpg

What do you think from that ? BIOS settings, Mainboard Problem, RME Driver problem or a combination of it ?

Have you tried a USB 3.0 with fresco chip yet? As I posted before, I never got Firewire running an my system as well. I tried several Firewire cards with different driver combinations. I think one of them had the
TI chipset on it as well.

20 (edited by ramses 2014-09-16 08:03:19)

Hi MichaG,

with USB I only have the little issue, that changing ASIO Buffer size sometimes results in a little hang in a way that the pulldown menue of the driver for changing for ASIO buffersize doesnt work anymore.

The workaround for me is to change the Samplefrequency to a different one in Cubase and then back to the one that I wanted to use. Then it works again.

Otherwise USB works with all Samplefrequencies and all&lowest ASIO buffersizes.

Synthax and RME are working on it, I am only doing some test on my own, tyring to find something ...

At the moment I think theoretically it can be "anything". Cables and Firewire Interface I would exclude now as I tested several. I think its either: UFX, Driver or "PC" or any combination ...

21 (edited by ramses 2014-09-20 19:14:32)

1. Some news .. some days ago I made some checks with my PC, whether BIOS settings have to do with the failures.

Result: no impact.
The difference between "Fail Safe" and "Optimized Defaults" with my board are only these two settings:
- PCI_IDE Busmaster: fail safe = Disabled, optimized defaults = Enabled
- S4/5 Power on Wait: fail safe = 4-5 (sec), optimized defaults = 1-2

With those defaults I measure on idle system with LatencyMon 4.02 (better for Win7) within ~3min a kernel latency of:
fail safe = 127 - 269 µs
optimized = 84 - 228 µs

Then I checked whether using the ExtremeMemoryProfile (to enable "1600" for RAM) might be an issue.
Result: no change, the DRAM speed makes no difference, still the same problems.

By this I can confirm, that my optimized BIOS settings to enable very low kernel latency for my system has nothing to do with the observed audio problems.

By disabling CSTATE and C1E and enabling EIST and Turbo Boost I have now within 3 min a perfect kernel latency of:
1,82 - 13,13 µs and my CPU is clocked at 2,933 Ghz. When disabling EIST and Turbo Boost the system runs at fix 2.8 GHz and this also has no impact on the audio problems. At the moment I will keep EIST and TurboBoost enabled to run at 2.933 GHz as my cooling allows for this. CPU tempreature is between 42°C in idle mode and 62°C under heavy load.

Some more News: I got another UFX from a friend for testing

Short story, no difference, same errors. So I think I can exclude a hardware issues.

I made some further tests with my and the other UFX:

2. check whether the DAW has an impact on the errors seen. Result: no impact, DAW doesn't matter

Test: I tried Cubase 7.5.30 and Reaper 4.73 x64 on my PC. Same results.

Szenario: EXSYS Card with TI XIO2200A still in the 2nd PCIe x16-Slot. 1 Micro Mic 10 IN, Record armed and playback activated, then listening on Phones (9/10) via playbackchannel to get audio via the firewire bus.

32 and 48 kHz sample Frequency only works with 64 samples ASIO buffersize ("All Channels" and "Analog+AES")
44.1, 64, 88.2, 96 kH and 176,4 kHz work with each ASIO buffersize and with "All Channels" or limited to "Analog+AES"
192 kHz "All channels": works only reliable with 192 and 384 ASIO buffersize
                                     with 256 samples I get Audio stuttering and Firewire Failures shown in the RME Driver window
                                     with 512,1024,2048 samples I hear Audio, no Firewire Failures BUT I hear crackles

3. Checked my and the other UFX on my Laptop (Lenovo T540p) with SIIG Expresscard. It has also a TI XIO2200A Chip.

Exactly the same problems with the Lenovo at 32, 48 and 192 kHz like on PC with the EXSYS card with same TI XIO2200A.

At 32 and 48 kHz a Buffersize >= 64 Samples fixes the problems
At 192 kHz only limiting the Firewire Bandwidth to "Analog+AES" brings stable results at all ASIO Buffersizes (192-2048)
At 192 kHz with "All Channels" only Buffersizes of 192 and 384 result in stable Audio
                     - 256 Buffersize triggers Firewire Errors and Audio Stuttering
                     - 512, 1024 and 2048 Buffersize result in Audio with *Crackles* (Firewire Errors are not seen though like b4)

4. Summary and conclusions

So it comes back, that with the same TI Chipset on EXSYS and SIIG Expresscard I get exactly the same errors
- on 2 different machines (PC with P55 chipset, and brand new Lenovo T540p Laptop) and
- using 2 different UFX (same SW version 1.58 and Fw driver).

After these thorough and exessive testing it appears to me that the current UFX Firewire Driver 3.094 has issues with the TI XIO2200A Chip.

I just discovered, that I also have a Lindy PCIe card with the same TI XIO2200A chip.
I made the test and its absolutely the same behaviour.

So with USB all samplefrequencies and all buffersizes work reliably.
But not with Firewire.
And as all thre Cards use the same TI chip and have the same problems I assume that this is driver related.
Card 1: Exsys PCIe on PC
Card 2: Expresscard (SIIG) on Laptop
Card 3: Lindy PCIe on PC

As this Chip is being found on many PCIe cards (occasionally I found out now that I own 3 with this chip)
I think it would give an additional benefit to many users not only me.

23 (edited by ramses 2014-09-22 21:21:37)

Got information from RME, that XIO2200A Chips are kind of buggy. After a transfer they shall not reliably issue an interrupt, for that reason they are not recommended by TI anymore for "new designs", see their product page here:
http://www.ti.com/product/XIO2200A?keyM … =Search-EN

One assumption: as some people have no issues with that chip, maybe the interrupt is sent out more reliable in certain other mainboard designs.

Another assumption from me personally: it was a pure occasion that I tried other sample frequencies than 44.1 and 88.2. Maybe its the same story for many other customers.

At the end of the day I got a recommendation to change my Firewire card to a different model with other TI chip.
I ordered one and will report whether this makes a difference.

Many thanks to RME to give this information to me. I really hope to get it working with the new card.

Hi

with this card its works better: EXSYS EX-16415, Chip: TI XIO2213BZAY

http://www.amazon.de/dp/B0029M9O72/ref= … 61_TE_item

176 and 192 kHz work absolutely reliable now at any Sample Rates in the -x16 and the -x8 Slot on mainboard.

The same problem as before I have with 32 and 48 kHz and a buffersize of 48.

Matthias, you mentioned LSI ... I would give it a last attempt to buy another new card.
What LSI card / chipset could you recommend ?

Best regards

Slowly. If  only 32 and 48 kHz don't operate at 48 sample buffer size, but do at 64 - then everything is ok...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

26 (edited by ramses 2014-09-24 23:27:39)

Hi Matthias, thanks for your comment.

Don't get me wrong ;-) I am very glad, that your recommended card fixes nearly everything, especially with the higher sampling frequencies (176+192kHz), even when taking the initial -x1 PCIe slot (makes me glad now my Graphics card again runs with x16 instead of x8).

I simply wonder and do not understand why 32 and 48 kHz doesnt work with 48 samples on a not loaded idle system if even 192kHz works with 48 samples. Is firewire that tricky ? Or could it be that there are rest issues caused by my mainboard ???

With USB every combination of sample frequency and ASIO buffersize works, thats the reason why I wonder that Firewire has these problems. Up to now Firewire was always superior to me in comparison to USB. More intelligence on the devices, less complexity of the driver. But slowly I get the impression that firewire seems to be extremely complicated and requires much more work to get a stable setup.

If you could enlighten me, what makes it that complicated, I would be very glad, as at the moment I do not understand this.

All that I can think of at the moment is, that most Firewire chips seem to be crap. If I look back how many cards I bought in the last 4 years, among them 3 with this XIO2200A, then I surely bought 8 different cards with TI and VIA chipset (PCI and PCIe).

192 kHz does not work with 48 samples. It requires at least 192 samples buffer size.

FireWire does indeed not work the same over all sample rates at lowest buffer settings. That has been documented by Timur in this forum several times, together with the fact that buffer sizes between the standard ones (48, 96...) can show slightly less performance. I doubt a different FW-card will change the performance that you see now.

Also, I own VIA and ENE and Ricoh FireWire in different computers that just work, although those are usually doomed not to work. It's not always that easy.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

28 (edited by ramses 2014-09-25 19:16:16)

Ok thanks for the feedback, a statement like this I was hunting for.

And yes ofc you are right at 192kHz its 192 buffers (was a typo) .. but I think you know what I meant, at lowest buffer size according to the samplerate.

Ok thanks, then I am fine by this, simply use 64 at minimum, and then I do not have to think about anything ;-)

Many thanks for the kind help from everybody involved !

So I regard this issue now as being solved for me :-)

Hi,

Is the firewire card still doing a good job?

Im planning on getting the siig nn-e20012-s2 and i wonder how is this one compared to the one you'r using.

A downgrade or upgrade?

Need to know because I want to get the best for my fireface performance.

Im on

Windows 7 64 home premium
Intel i5-4570
8 gbit ram
Mother board : asus z87k.

I presume that a single pci(e) slot in use will show better result since the system wont need to share power will all pci(e) connected....?

30 (edited by ramses 2014-10-31 18:01:24)

Yes it does, but very few combinations of samplefrquency and lowest ASIO buffersize still won't work:
i.e. 32 and 48 kHz with 48 samples, rest works.

Even after migration from consumer hw (MSI P55) to Supermicro Server board this didn't change which surprises me. I had the expectation, that eventually my MSI consumer mainboard causes quality issues in terms of interrupt handling and what not. But now even spending over € 2000 for a computer upgrade the result is simply the same.

I don't know whether this could be done better by RME in terms of drivers, or if the TI chip is also in this case a "bitch".

As this topic slowly starts to nerve I started to become pragmatic and switched over to USB.
Absolutely NO problems, every combination of Samplerate and Buffersize simply works.

I would have wished that this also works for firewire, because it appears to me the better design.
More intelligence on devices, less complex OS driver. But the crap simply doesn't work reliably even with RME drivers (surprisingly !!!).

Now the USB drivers even give me according to Cubase slightly better input and output latency.

If RME would be willed to review their drivers to give Firewire the same quality like USB I would be very thankful, because then all my efforts wouldn't be totally useless. On the other hand I am not sure whether the time is spend better in other areas as I expect there more benefits for everybody.