Topic: HDSP9632 WASAPI driver not bit-perfect on Windows 7 x64

Hi,
I've been trying to get my HDSP9632 to output bit-perfect S/PDIF under Windows 7 x64 and am having no joy with the supplied drivers. I'm using a HDCD encoded recording and an outboard DAC with an indicator to test this as historically (older drivers, Windows XP) this has always worked reliably.

The only way I can make it work is using Foobar2000 with it's ASIO interface. If I use other applications that use the WASAPI or DirectSound driver then I lose the HDCD encoding, indicating that the bitstream is being meddled with.

Is there anything I can do with the WASAPI or DirectSound interface to maintain the integrity of the bitstream or is this a Windows issue that is only resolved by using ASIO?

Any advice appreciated

Thanks
Simon

Re: HDSP9632 WASAPI driver not bit-perfect on Windows 7 x64

You might have used the wrong sample rate. We do not change any bits, neither in WDM nor WASAPI mode. This can only happen when the TotalMix faders are not set to exactly 0 dB.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I'm playing the same track using Foobar2000 (ASIO) and XBMC (WASAPI) seeing the same sample rate with the same card and mixer settings (0db). My DAC is verifying the reported sample frequency.

In fact if it wasn't for the fact I could check the LSB with the HDCD indicator I wouldn't know as it all 'looks' bit perfect.

I'm not sure if it's XBMC, Windows or the driver that's corrupting the stream, I just know that using the WASAPI or DirectSound route doesn't seem to work where ASIO does. Do you know what is happening differently in the first two cases?

Why don't you try WASAPI with Foobar?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I'm sure I tried all of the options in Foobar before downloading the ASIO output module - I'll check tonight when I get home.