Topic: multiple user (midi) controlled monitor mixes

Hi folks,

I'm wondering if anybody has any ideas or input for how to do this. I do a lot of live recording in the studio sometimes with as many as 8 musicians but more often around 4.
I'm using a Fireface 800 and Samplitude (thinking of changing to Madi FX) and want to be able to allow uses to control there own sub mixes using a midi controller, in this case a korg nano control. I generally use hardware monitoring and would prefer to keep it that way.
I've worked out how to control the input monitor levels in RME totalmix using midi and that works fine but the problem is that if a user want to change their mix, their output submix bus must be selected otherwise they end up changing the next users mix or the main monitor mix. It is possible to select the submix using a midi command but to ensure that the submix selection isn't interrupted by another user during changes I found that I could, by using midiox, interleave a submix bus selection CC in between each input fader CC. This does work but gets sluggish if a lot of fast changes are made or users are simultaneously changing submixes. Eventually it can overload and crash the midi driver.
The best solution I can see would be if RME would implement multiple midi port control in totalmix which would allow enough midi CC to be available,I have spoken to RME and they aren't keen on the idea.
I'm currently thinking about purchasing an RME HDSPe Madi FX and was hoping that limitation would have been overcome in the new totalmix but it looks like it's not. However I imagine with the HDSPe Madi FX having so many channels it would be possible to implement some sort of complex loopback or send setup that could make things work. Grouping of multiple mics on one instrument is also a problem as there are only 4 groups available for faders.
Does anybody have any ideas for how to implement idea this short of buying an Aviom system or similar? I haven't actually used asio direct monitoring so perhaps it's possible somehow that way?

cheers Greg