Topic: Retina MacBook Pro + Fireface UFX: USB or Firewire?

So I just got my Retina MacBook Pro, and I'm trying it with Reaper and my Fireface UFX via USB. The problem is that no matter what I set the block size to in Reaper, I'm getting pops and crackles here or there. 32 is unusable, 96 seems good... but then when I think everything's great, out of nowhere I hear a noise. Same with 128 or higher.

(FWIW, I had no issue with noise on my previous MacBook Pro)

Might this be a hardware issue? Is there any advantage to choosing one built-in USB port over the other? Is there any advantage to using USB vs the Apple thunderbolt-to-firewire adapter?

Also, is there anything I can use in OS X to test ASIO dropouts? Maybe the problem is with Reaper and not hardware, but I don't know how else I can test this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Re: Retina MacBook Pro + Fireface UFX: USB or Firewire?

Are you using the latest 1.73 driver?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Yes, Fireface USB Settings shows Firmware: v352 Driver: v1.73

Any suggestions for me?

Could you please describe the "noise" a little bit more in detail? Has a straight iTunes playback the same problem?

Regards,
Ralf
RME

The noise sounds the same as the slight popping or crackling that is associated with setting too low of an ASIO block size in Reaper. Except I've tried a much higher number than should be expected (512, for example) and I still get the noise.

It only happens when I'm using ASIO audio in Reaper, not in iTunes or any other application.

ASIO means you're using Windows?

Maybe I've got my terminology wrong. I used Windows for a long time, and only switched to OS X for pro audio stuff in the last few years!

I mean, whatever the preferred method of Reaper connecting to the Fireface UFX is.

9 (edited by cowboy 2012-08-03 14:25:15)

I'm still having this issue, even after upgrading to OS X 10.8.

Is it possible that the Fireface UFX USB drivers aren't completely compatible with the new USB3 chipset in the Retina MacBook Pro?

Either way, I just ordered the Apple Thunderbolt -> Firewire adapter to see if switching to Firewire solves the problem.

cowboy wrote:

Either way, I just ordered the Apple Thunderbolt -> Firewire adapter to see if switching to Firewire solves the problem.

Cowboy, can you report here if Thunderbolt-Firewire adapter solves the problem, please?

Thanks!
Marco