1 (edited by useme2305 2012-07-02 18:55:15)

Topic: strange Babyface problem (scrambled, distorted output and input sound)

i keep experiencing the following:

while listening to music in itunes, watching a movie or working on a session in logic from time to time the sound goes completely nuts all of a sudden on all outputs and inputs of the babyface.
it just begins to crackle and distort non-stop out of nowhere. sometimes even after not having touched the babyface, computer or anything else in the room and just having been watching tv for thirty mins or so. all of a sudden it will just sound like an alien attack on my brain.

i'll simply unplug and reconnect the babyface and it's fine. it will also go back to the normal working condition when i set the sampling rate to some random sample rate. whatever samplerate i set it to, it sounds fine but of course after that i just set it back to 44100 Hz and it will work normally for a few hours, sometimes days. then out of nowhere it happens again.

what i tried to solve this problem:
-get a new usb cable
-update the drivers and firmware
-connect a psu (12 V DC 2 A)

nothing helps. problem not solved!

babyface s. number:
23180362 (silver edition)
mac mini server 2011 (2 Ghz i7 quad, 8gb ram)
mac os x lion 10.7.4

UPDATE (temporary fix):
the problem does NOT occur with the RME apps TotalMix and USB Settings closed.
so as a temporary fix i advice everyone who is also experiencing this problem to close these two applications in the dock when they are not needed.

Re: strange Babyface problem (scrambled, distorted output and input sound)

Your driver version?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

My friend and I both have babyfaces and have experienced this same thing, I've uploaded a screenshot of what total mix looks like during the issue. Also to note is that nothing is actually playing audio when I took the screenshot, and you can see in the background that even the ableton audio engine is off. I'm currently writing from work, so I plan on updating to the latest driver when I'm home.

I'm on a 2010 Macbook Pro 15" with Mac 10.7.4. I use Ableton 8.2.7, but the problem occurs system wide once it starts.

Pic below:
http://t.co/xW0wKKT4

4 (edited by useme2305 2012-05-26 08:37:18)

latest drivers.
firmware: v185
driver: v1.69

[s]it doesn't seem to be the same problem elburz has though.[/s] there is no additional sound added and the meters seem fine when this is happening. the sound just starts to get scrambled. but when there's no sound playing i don't hear anything.

"Clock Source" is set to "internal" of course. there are no optical In or Out devices connected.
i have a feeling that it's a clocking problem though. but i have no idea what that actually means.

Sorry, I think I wrote that confusingly, while the meters were showing that in Total Mix, it was silent like you mentioned, until I tried to play audio again, at which point it was extremely scrambled and extremely clipped.

My buddy mentioned it happens to him mostly when he sleeps his tower, but for me it just happens randomly.

6 (edited by useme2305 2012-05-26 08:46:07)

elburz wrote:

Sorry, I think I wrote that confusingly, while the meters were showing that in Total Mix, it was silent like you mentioned, until I tried to play audio again, at which point it was extremely scrambled and extremely clipped.

My buddy mentioned it happens to him mostly when he sleeps his tower, but for me it just happens randomly.

hey elburz.

i'll have to check the meters in totalMix next time this problem occurs. i'll report back asap.

just to make sure it's not one of my programs running here's a list of programs that are almost always running while this is happening. do you use any of these, too?

elgato eyetv
vlc
itunes
last.fm
remotebuddy

i was suspecting a little program called Soundflower to be causing this. but i the problem didn't disappear once i deleted it. have you ever used it by any chance? i keep thinking that i might not have uninstalled it correctly.

what programs are regularly running in the background when this is happening to you? are there any programs you and your friend both often use?

Ya take a look. None of those were running when my problems occurred. I had:

Ableton 8.2.7
Marketcircle Daylite
Air Display
Vuze

I use sound flower regularly and haven't had any severe issues with it. Going to update firmware and report back shortly.

8 (edited by useme2305 2012-05-26 08:52:52)

so soundflower seems to be the only program that we both have or had on our systems. does your friend use it? i'm not saying it's causing the problem for sure...i just think it might be. i don't recall having had this problem before i used soundflower and i deleted it immediately because it seemed to mess with stuff.

9 (edited by useme2305 2012-05-27 13:44:56)

latest news on this and a question.

i haven't had this problem for the past 24 hours. what i tried is close "Fireface USB Settings" and "TotalMix" in the dock. they always start up automatically when OSX starts so i never closed them. closing them and only opening them when i need to tweak something is my new route. i'll report back if something changes.

my question:
to this day i found no way to stop these two apps from starting automatically when OSX boots up. they are not even in my startup items. how can i make them NOT start during bootup?

The Babyface needs TotalMix after the start to get its settings.

best regards
Knut

11 (edited by useme2305 2012-05-27 13:56:28)

hey thanks for the quick reply.
yeah, i just read that in another thread just now. ok, so i'll just close them manually each time after an osx startup.

back to the original problem. closing the two RME apps seems to have solved the issues with scrambled sound out of nowhere.
i'll post in this thread as soon as the scrambled sound re-appears.

useme2305 wrote:

latest drivers.
firmware: v185
driver: v1.69

Not true:

http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=14573

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I always close TotalMix and the Rme settings after I've set everything up, so I don't know if its related to that, as I still do that and it doesn't change the problem for me. I updated firmware yesterday and turns out my babyface was already v. 185, but I updated the USB driver on my Mac.

I had a recording session today which was embarrassing as I had to keep asking for extra takes of tunes. I guess the static/noise isn't just on the outputs, but also on the inputs. I was recording a jazz big band, and every so often through my headphone mix I could hear it slowly starting to appear and it would grow until it sounded like someone had a bit crusher on the master channel. There were a few times where it would grow but then disappear, but the majority of the time it grew and destroyed the take. At which point I had to change clock settings a bunch and unplug and replug the babyface to make the noise go away. I can upload audio from the session if you need, but it literally sounds like someone put a bit crusher on the master.

I don't think it's sound flower as I've had that for ages and this problem is recent, and I can't recall installing anything other than the new Waves NLS plugin recently. I might try to call in tomorrow and talk directly to tech, unless you Admins are tech, in which case, we might be able to figure something out faster over the phone.

This noise could be from a plug-in in demo mode. Or from a disturbed USB communication. Do you have Parallels installed?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

well, my problem doesn't seem to be the same. mine is not an added noise and slowly comes creeping in from below. it's like the sound from itunes or logic or whatever is chopped up in really tiny pieces on a timeline and them scrambled and it's either there or it's not. that being said, the problem was not present all day yesterday. here's what i did yesterday morning.

- in the morning i installed the latest version of Soundflower and immediately uninstalled it with the uninstaller
- kept closing the rme apps whenever i rebooted

right now i'm installing driver version 1.70. thanks for the link MC!

i think elburz and i might not have the same problem. the sound is more stable overall since i keep closing the RME apps.
for example when i have itunes running listening to music and then opened another app that puts out sound i kept getting small clicks and blobs for a second when the new app started. but now with the RME apps closed i don't that anymore and the sound output is much more stable.

@MC, don't have any trial plugins, and the session that I was doing with the big band was clean of any plugins. I do have Parallels installed, but rarely use it.

I'll install 1.7 now and see if it fixes the problem.

ok, i'm on 1.7 now since the weekend.

yesterday evening the problem reappeared. i immediately thought the rme app closing didn't do it...the problem must be something else until i noticed that for the first time in 4 days i forgot the close the total mix app. now i'm pretty sure that this is the problem now. USB setting was closed though.

btw, while the sound was scrambled again i also checked the meters in total mix to see if it was the same problem elburz has. they were all normal...no anomalies there. so i guess elburz and i don't have quite the same problem.

to sum it all up:

my sound gets scrambled randomly every few hours whenever i have the RME TotalMix app running. closing it and only using it when needed does the trick.

Hello,

I posted already about that same problem, and i am living with it since then. It looks like a bitcrusher is destroying anything from my babyface, i have to restart whatever is playing audio.

Seriously, make something ...

I am using the latest version of macos on a mac mini server i7.

Please !!!!

19 (edited by useme2305 2012-05-30 20:14:54)

hey busygirl, try closing the rme apps (totalmix and usb settings) and see if the problem reoccurs. that's what did it for me it seems.

btw, interesting to see someone else with a mac mini server reporting an issue with the babyface.
have you installed the latest EFI firmware update from apple? it's supposed to solve some issues with usb devices.
http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1500

20 (edited by busygirl 2012-05-31 10:11:51)

Well my imac is up to date. I will try closing totalmix, i don't use usb settings and closed already. The problem happens randomly, see, the last hour i had to restart itunes 3 times, and chrome twice ...

It really looks like a driver problem, from apple or rme i don't know, but something is going wrong.

EDIT: I updated to 1.7, and AGAIN ... HALP !

Good morning,

Is it a problem you can resolve with an update, or should i contact my reseller for a repair ?

good morning, did closing TotalMix help?

23 (edited by busygirl 2012-05-31 10:13:17)

Well i woke up this morning, itunes is running without totalmix in the background, no problem for now ...
I found a buyer for my babyface if that BITCRUSHER MODE is engaged again ...

I have a recently purchased Babyface and have experienced some of the same symptoms.  They do not occur very often but I am monitoring the situation.  I am running a MacMini Server with all the latest software and updates from Mac and RME.

interesting how we all have a mac mini server (2011).

driver version 172 and the problem is still not gone.

I'm actually showing a similar problem with my Macbook Pro and Babyface (I just posted a topic about it).  I've noticed that toggling the sample rate in the 'fireface usb settings' app fixes it, at least for a time.  Does this also work for you guys having the same issue?

yes, toggling the sample rate is one way to quick fix it when it occurs. the long term "fix" is closing the rme apps. the problem NEVER occurs when the rme apps are closed.

Really?  I feel like I've had the issue with the apps closed, but now I can't be sure.  I'll run tests right now with the apps closed...

30 (edited by Whagi 2012-06-26 16:22:52)

I have had this same issue since I bought my Babyface. Again, changing the sample rate fixs it. But it is annoying if you in the middle of creating music, or even worse, listening to music. I'm on a iMac 27" i7 by the way.

So I ran the Babyface with both apps closed for about 5 straight hours... not one single error.  So I guess that means it's the apps?  But then, what now?

Please try the following updated TotalMix FX. There is no guarantee that the included changes help, but maybe we're lucky...

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/to … 983rc6.zip

Edit: link updated, but no relevant changes to rc5

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Excellent, I'll give it a try... thanks!

alright, i tested it for 24 hours. the problem is still not gone.

It seems you can reproduce this phenomenom quite good. Is it really necessary to close both apps, or only one of both?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

i actually can't reproduce it on demand. i just installed the new TotalMIX yesterday and had it run error free until the problem suddenly appeared today at noon. both apps were open. i'm now testing it with just total mix opened and Settings closed. i'll report back as soon as something happens.

37 (edited by useme2305 2012-06-30 19:26:46)

alright. now with ONLY TotalMix opened the problem is still there.

so it'S definitely totalmix.

Please do me the favour to verify the opposite. Close TM and have the Settings open all time. That would really help us.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

alright. will do. i'll report back tomorrow if nothing happens or as soon as the error occurs.

40 (edited by kenporter 2012-07-01 18:33:16)

Came to the forum looking for this.  I am experiencing the same issue.  Latest version of Lion and latest driver and firmware for the Babyface.  I actually have to unplug the Babyface and plug it back in to make the issue go away.  Very random for me.  Some days I am not experiencing the issue and some days it happens more than once. sad

My specs:

Babyface Serial Number:
23179938 (Silver edition)
Driver: 1.72 Firmware: 1.85

Mac Mini Server 2011 (2GHz i7 Quad, 16GB RAM)
Mac OS X Lion 10.7.4

Ableton Live 8.3.1

Ken

If you have the same issue then it would be helpful if you could verify the temporary fix of having TM FX closed.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

+1 - Experiencing the same issue on Late 2011 MBP.
specs:
2.5GHz Intel i7. Mac OS X Lion 10.7.4 (11E53)
Firmware: v185 Driver: v1.72

While we wait for a fix for this, is there a diagnostic tool that could possibly point to the issue? This reminds me of running my M-Audio gear on a Windows 7 machine for sample rates over 48000Hz. hmm

Thanks.

hey, guess what! the problem just occurred with TotalMix closed but Fireface USB Setting opened.

Hey all, downloaded the new totalmix... problem occurred about 10 minutes into work.  I closed Totalmix, left the settings open, problem occurred again about 5 minutes later.  Now I have both closed and no issues so far...

45 (edited by jseelye02 2012-07-03 02:17:16)

Well, spoke too soon... no more than 10 minutes after posting my last messager here the issue occurred with BOTH programs close... I opened the settings window, toggled the sample rate, then closed the window.  Worked for about 5 more minutes, with both windows closed, now it's doing it again!  I'm losing it!!

Well, I hate to post yet again, but it's been about 2.5 hours since I've started working today (and since my last post) and I've had a total of 12 times when the output distorted/scrambled.  This is with the two RME programs opened, closed, one opened, one closed OR both closed.  It doesn't matter if I'm in Pro Tools are just using the Babyface as coreaudio to play music in VLC, the issue kept occurring.  I restarted 5 times in the process and at one point I went back to my internal sound card for about 20 minutes, then back to the Babyface.  I deleted the newest version of Totalmix that I got from here and put the old one back (hoping that the new Totalmix was the issue).  Unfortunately it freaked out 3 or 4 more times with the old Totalmix. 

I'm starting to think my Babyface is bad??  I don't know what to do... any other suggestions?  Thanks...

jseelye02, you seem to be the only person that can confirm having the problem occur with both apps closed.

what's the rest of your setup? PC or Mac? what OS.
also, do you use an external converter via Adat?

Yeah, it's funny because when I first started having the issue closing both apps would do the trick.  After I installed that new Totalmix the issue would occur even with the apps closed!

I'm running a Macbook Pro with 10.6.8, 6gb RAM no external converters and I've tried it with nothing plugged in but the Babyface...

49 (edited by useme2305 2012-07-03 15:25:41)

hey, so today i experienced the error with both apps closed, too.
just like you it was never apparent with the old Totalmix version with both apps closed.
i tested it for about a week with both apps closed before the new total mix version came around and it was fine.
just an hour or so ago i had my first scrambler with both apps closed (new TotalMix version).

so it seem that the new TotalMix version has messed up things even more?

I would agree the new Totalmix started the issue, but I reinstalled the old version and I'm still having the issue... Are you using pro tools as well?