Topic: RME Babyface suddenly can't be recognized by iMac anymore

Hi,

Suddenly my RME Babyface cannot be recognized by the iMac anymore, which works fine till today eversince i bought it when it was released.
I used the RME Babyface interface for some time and it worked perfectly so far. Today it suddenly disappeared from my system:

3.06 Ghz iMac Duo 16 GB of RAM 10.6.7 with the RME drivers 1.63

Under System Preferences / Audio - the interface is no longer displayed.
Under Program in the Finder - when I click "Fireface USB Settings" the program appears and disappears again!

I changed the cables and also try to connect directly to the iMac and via a USB hub (with power supply).

Apparently no one has this problem ...

How can you reset the Babyface?
How can you delete the driver completely from the system?

I updated my system to 10.6.8 and also install the newest driver 1.66 but i couldnt update the firmware to 2.72 because the interface can't be found even though it is connected tt the iMac!

Best regard

Re: RME Babyface suddenly can't be recognized by iMac anymore

Not sure if it helps, but there is a common problem with Mac computers where the USB bus stops working correctly. You can reset as follows:

Turn off the iMac and disconnect all USB and FireWire devices. Unplug main power from the wall outlet. Hold the power button on the iMac down for 10 seconds. Let the computer rest for 10 seconds, then plug in power again. Boot the computer, then plug in your Babyface.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Oddly, that is exactly what happened to me this morning.  I have a FireFace UFX (just got it a few days ago though). 

I was using it last night, however, when got up this morning and Total Mix FX says it's disconnected.  And it is gone from Audio Midi Setup, except in the "Aggregate Device" where it is grayed out.

When opening Fireface USB settings, the program immediately closes. 

I'll have to try Jeff's suggestion too.

I tried Jeff's suggestion and it's working again.

I tried it too but for me it doesn't work...
I have also tried it on a PC and there it can't be recognized as well - what the hell did happen to my Babyface sad

Well, I thought it was fixed on mine but the solution was only temporary.  This morning it was once again disconnected.  Today, I just shut down the computer and powered down the Fireface.  Then, started the computer and once running, turned on the UFX and it connected just fine.  This afternoon I got home from work and it is disconnected again.  Perhaps, it's just the USB cable - so I'll try that next.

BTW, here's the basic specs on my computer:

iMac
2.16 GHz Intel Core Duo
2.5 GB RAM

Also using a Yamaha mLan16e (in a Motif ES keyboard) via Firewire.  It is set up as an aggregate device with the Fireface UFX.  Perhaps this could be the problem?

Any suggestions?

Well it seems my firmware crashed... due to the experts of the musicstore where i bought it - How could this be done? Through the USB Hub or did the iMac crashed my firmware? Any experts of RME here in the forum?

Please contact your distributor, he will either replace or fix for free.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME