Topic: Feature request: RIAA equalization

Hi, please include "RIAA equalization" in preinstalled eq curve. Need to direct conect MM cartridge to UFX mic\inst input.
Evgeny

Re: Feature request: RIAA equalization

MM cartridges need 47 kOhm load impedance and a capacitance of (forgot, 47 nF ? Whatever...). There is no such input on the UFX.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Depending on cartridge, the output at 1kHz for standard velocity (level) on disc is about 10mV or -40dBV.  This seems to be within the range of the TS inputs on the front panel.

The standard termination for MM phono cartridges (i.e., how their frequency response is measured) is indeed 47Kohm in parallel with 100pF (most of which will come from cable capacitance).

As the TS input is unbalanced and has an input impedance of 800K, it would be a simple matter to wire up the TS plug with a 47K resistor between hot and ground to correctly terminate the cartridge.  There should be enough gain for most cartridges and the signal to noise will be around 65dB, maybe better.

To set up EQ for RIAA, set a treble shelving cut of 6dB/octave starting at 2kHz and a shelving bass boost at 6dB/octave starting at 500Hz.  Set the high pass filter at 40Hz.  Adjust to taste (or check using a calibration record). 

Or - just go and buy an external battery-powered phono preamp, and connect via the same route.  No need for EQ.

De gustibus - et sonus - non est disputandum

Hi Evgeny,
I use REK-O-KUT Professional Moving magnet Pre Amp MK2 as well as the REK-O-KUT Audiophile Archival Preamp with great results using my Fireface.
They are inexpensive and sound great to me.

http://www.esotericsound.com/elect.htm#d_Phono

Thanks Chris

Chris Ludwig
North East USA Sales | Synthax/RME
www.facebook.com/RMEAmericas
Twitter @RMEAmericas

Good lead, Chris.  I already had that site bookmarked for its range of stylii but had not checked their electronics section.  Looks good.  For those outside the US, I suggested they ask them to leave out the 120V-12v wallwart, (saving postage and a small amount of money) and source one locally.  (The RME power supply for FF400 or QuadMic will probably work - check plug polarity.)

But to return to the OPs original request - there is a school of thought that says a flat preamp and digitally applied RIAA (or other std) EQ has some advantages.   There are flat preamps available about the same price (I have one sourced from the US).  The ability to apply an accurate pre-set RIAA input EQ could be helpful for the admittedly small number of us who undertake this arcane activity.

Maybe put it on the list for a rainy day?

I have researched the subject of vinyl transfer and came across a true story about a couple of engineer friends who created their own tools to transfer historically significant Edison discs they saved from being destroyed. Their site is located at http://www.diamondcut.com/store/index.php . Read their Application Note # 8 entitled "The New Way of recording LP's" which presents their alternative solution for what can be described as a "moving target" problem of RIAA equalization compensation.

best regards,
Blair Francey
Fireface 802/ARC USB; HDSP Multiface x 2; 2023 AMD Windows 10 Custom PC

Hi,
Here is the direct link to the note Blair is mentioning.
http://www.diamondcut.com/AppNotes/TheNewWay.html

Thanks Chris

Chris Ludwig
North East USA Sales | Synthax/RME
www.facebook.com/RMEAmericas
Twitter @RMEAmericas

8 (edited by panatrope 2011-12-14 10:36:13)

As the owner of DC8 and their flat transfer pre-amp (and a couple of their Edison restorations), I can add my commendation.

(As a purely personal aside, in 2001 while working in NJ/NYC, I visited the Thomas Edison National Historical Park at West Orange, New Jersey, the tour including some time in Edison's study and library.  While our group inspected the room, the guide treated us to the playing of an Edison Diamond Disc recording on an Edison wind-up phonograph.   I was pleased to find it was "Linger Awhile", played by the Fletcher Henderson Orchestra, one of the few black orchestras recorded for that label.   A little research later found it was recorded for Edison on 27th November, 1923.  Not one of the emerging band's most outstanding performances, as the band was yet to benefit from the presence of one Louis Armstrong, who taught the band how to swing, but Don Redman and Coleman Hawkins were present. When I sent back to Melbourne - via the Internet, adventurous for the time - a piece for my jazz radio program the following Saturday, an LP copy of that record was located to accompany my report.  The quality is surprisingly good. 

And Chris, we did meet up at at least one AES about that time ...

Please excuse this digression ... )