Topic: Advice to choose, New to RME

Hello, i got to buy a new sound card for my PC, running on XP SP3. I've been using a MOTU 828  for 9 years now n I am very happy, but need something 24bit/96 now.
RME reputation makes me wish something on this brand, but I'm a little bit lost among the different protocols: AES, EBU, Madi, etc
I've been a firewire guy all this years, but was wondering if a PCI interface wont be better, as my motu 828 (firewire) it's been allways, since it's purchase in 2002 pluged and rack mounted all the time, so there's no use for a portable external interface, I just need a professional, stable, high quality i/o converter for my studio.
So if anybody there wants to give me a piece of advice, this is what I'm aiming for:

-8 analog in, 8 analog out
-No need for Preamps really, i have an analog Mackie boeard I still use for instr. preamps and a couple of nice old Telefunken for mic preamp.
-1 midi i/o

So I can see 2 options:
Multiface2+Pci card (770 EUR)
or HDSP 32 + BOB 16io (890EUR)

besides the price, what do you recommend? What's the main difference between these two systems?

hope anybody can advice, tahnsk regards

dd

ASUSTeK P5W DH Deluxe (Intel 975X Express) - ATX
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 @ 2.33 GHZ - Dual Core  Socket 775 FSB1333 cache L2 4 Mo 0.065
2x Seagate Barracuda 320 Go 7200.1 16mo sata
RAM Corsair Twinx 2x1024 DDR2-C6400 twin 2.34 GHZ
NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT - 256 Mo - PCI Ex16
Motu 828
Win XP SP3

SONAR X1c
Samplitude V8
Sound Forge 8

Re: Advice to choose, New to RME

Hi DD,
The Bob16 is not an AD/DA converter. It is Analog DSUB to XLR rack mount adapter. It is designed more for use with some of RME high end AD/DA stand alone units like the M-16 and 32 series and ADI8-QS.

If you want 8 channels of RME AD/DA on one device with some expansion then the Multiface/PCI or PCI-e card bundle, Fireface 400, Fireface UC, Fireface 800 and the Fireface UFX. These will all give you 8 or more very high quality analog I/O with 8 or channels of ADAT for expansion. You can combine up to 3 of the  HDSP series interfaces in one computer in any combination. With the Fireface series you can 2 to 3 units depending on which ones. The Fireface series have an added bonus of being able to act as stand alone AD/DA so in stand alone mode they can even be used with the HDSP series as AD/DA.

Thanks Chris

Chris Ludwig
North East USA Sales | Synthax/RME
www.facebook.com/RMEAmericas
Twitter @RMEAmericas

Thanks a lot Chris, so I'll go for one of these two:

Fireface 400
Multiface+Pci

it's really a tough choice as they are so close in features...

One last question: my board have both PCI and PCIe slots, is there really a difference worth paying 100 EUR+ ?
And if yes, can I find any issues running the PCIe version on WIN XP?

thanks again, bets
dd

The very latest intel chipset doesn´t have real PCI anymore (only bridge) so PCIe is the most future proof and if you ever need to upgrade your computer the best choice. Other then that performance on older chipsets of PCI vs. PCIe is identical.
Performance of PCI(e) is better then firewire, PCI(e) has lower cpu load/higher plugin count/better low latency performance then firewire.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

Hi DD,
Either PCI or PCI-e will work on that board. In the long run the PCI-e card will help "future proof" your system.
Brand new systems are lucky to have even 2 PCI slots. Some fo the newest P67/Z68 "Sandy Bridge" chipset motherboard seem to have issues in general with PCI devices as Vinark mentions.

If you will be PC based on your systems in the suture then I would also look at the Fireface UC. Firewire is becoming less and less common on PC laptops and even desktops are starting to not be included. RM'e USB devices work just as good as their Firewire.

Chris

Chris Ludwig
Twitter @RMEAmericas

So here we go, Multiface+PCIe then, no doubt.
I'm looking forward to it.
Thanks a lot Vinark, Chris.
Very best

dd

So I went to a professional store today for a Multiface II+ HSDC PCIe.
there I learn from the salesman that that product was out of stock and that he didn't think they would get it in stock in the future, as for such a small interface, Fireface was the one that promises more longevity and performances that rival a PCIe.
As I needed and audio card now to keep working, I asked for a Fireface 400, to learn that that one was out of stock as well, replaced by Fireface UC that claims much better latency and performances than rival the Multiface+PCIe.

Chris mentioned Fireface UC as an option (PC wise) in terms of longevity and future compatibility, but is it really as good (in terms of latency and CPU load) as a PCIe???
Still looking for a new interface, mind.
Cheers
dd

HI Dede,
All fo RME's firewire and USB devices are designed to work as close to PCI/PCI-e performance levels as possible.
Bot PCI and PCI-e are slightly lower latency than either FW or USB. The CPU load and overall latency are very close over all.
The main benefit you would be getting with the HDSP series hardware is the flexible expansion You can mix and max up to 3 HDSP cards in your system for a huge amount of I/O expansion. The Fireface series with most systems is limited to 2 units connected to the computer.
The USB based Fireface devices like the UC, Babyface and UFX all work great on either PC or MAC. ON the PC side. Firewire is starting to become less common of a built-in feature on motherboards and especially laptops. USB 2 and now USB 3.0 are becoming more prominent.
Unless you are really planning on adding allot of I/O as in more than 32 channels of I/O then you will be fine with the Fireface series.

I'm not sure what country you in but I would try other dealers in your area to see if they have stock or can get them in easily.

Thanks Chris

Chris Ludwig
Twitter @RMEAmericas

I asked for a Fireface 400, to learn that that one was out of stock as well, replaced by Fireface UC

The UC don't replaces the Fireface 400. It's just the same device with small improvements (new TotalMix GUI) and the USB2 connection. On the other hand there is still a high demand for high-quality FireWire interfaces from RME (Fireface 400 and 800), but as Chris wrote the FireWire port surely becomes less common in the future.

The Multiface II+ HSDC PCIe combination is still in production. So you still have the choice. But all in all the UC will do what you want - and more. It's a very successful interface and works very well for several thousands of users.

but is it really as good (in terms of latency and CPU load) as a PCIe???

Please have a look on these videos to see for yourself:
- New York based guitar master Burr Johnson explains his low latency setup with the UC
- Guitar wizard Erlend Krauser plays an incredible solo live in concert for many people via the UC and internal plugin effects

Here is Erlend in his studio playing the same awesome solo (based on "Hurt" from Christina Aguilera) live over the UC. You can see the UC on 4:10:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vybPP7Yj … re=related

best regards
Knut

ChrisLudwig wrote:

HI Dede,
All fo RME's firewire and USB devices are designed to work as close to PCI/PCI-e performance levels as possible.
Bot PCI and PCI-e are slightly lower latency than either FW or USB. The CPU load and overall latency are very close over all.
The main benefit you would be getting with the HDSP series hardware is the flexible expansion You can mix and max up to 3 HDSP cards in your system for a huge amount of I/O expansion. The Fireface series with most systems is limited to 2 units connected to the computer.
The USB based Fireface devices like the UC, Babyface and UFX all work great on either PC or MAC. ON the PC side. Firewire is starting to become less common of a built-in feature on motherboards and especially laptops. USB 2 and now USB 3.0 are becoming more prominent.
Unless you are really planning on adding allot of I/O as in more than 32 channels of I/O then you will be fine with the Fireface series.

I'm not sure what country you in but I would try other dealers in your area to see if they have stock or can get them in easily.

Thanks Chris

Hi Chris, I'm in France, and the guy just said that they're not carrying the Multiface or Fireface400 as they just have no demand for those, considering the performances and features of Fireface UC. But they could order one for me.  But I think I'll rather go for the UC after all (I do have a quite modern Toshiba Satellite Pro that doesn't have a FW port anymore!)
And no, I don't really think I'll need more i/o in the near future, but just asking: you can daisy chain 2xFireface400 for extra i/o but not possible with the UC I guess. What about the ADAT port on the UC? What can I plug there for further expansion? I see that the BOB series are not ADAT protocol, is there some Adat  expansion available from RME?
Thank a lot, I'm going for the UC I presume.
Cheers

dd

Knut, thanks a lot for those videos, very instructing. As I've been recording all MIDI in my studio through an (original) MOTU 828 for the last 9 years, those low latencies level blew my mind! Feel like I'm coming from the past...
Thanks again, I'm going for the UC After all.
Best
dd

RME + Realtime VSTi = Heaven :-)  Once I went "native" with RME I never looked back to hardware...

cool

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8

Hi Knut. I just got a UC but it seems I'm getting a lot of snap crackle pop. I guess its my computer.  I'm wondering if I should go Firewire 400 instead. Does the UC sound the same as the FF400 or are they different? 
Thank you.
Paul

Admin Knut wrote:

I asked for a Fireface 400, to learn that that one was out of stock as well, replaced by Fireface UC

The UC don't replaces the Fireface 400. It's just the same device with small improvements (new TotalMix GUI) and the USB2 connection. On the other hand there is still a high demand for high-quality FireWire interfaces from RME (Fireface 400 and 800), but as Chris wrote the FireWire port surely becomes less common in the future.

The Multiface II+ HSDC PCIe combination is still in production. So you still have the choice. But all in all the UC will do what you want - and more. It's a very successful interface and works very well for several thousands of users.

but is it really as good (in terms of latency and CPU load) as a PCIe???

Please have a look on these videos to see for yourself:
- New York based guitar master Burr Johnson explains his low latency setup with the UC
- Guitar wizard Erlend Krauser plays an incredible solo live in concert for many people via the UC and internal plugin effects

Here is Erlend in his studio playing the same awesome solo (based on "Hurt" from Christina Aguilera) live over the UC. You can see the UC on 4:10:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vybPP7Yj … re=related

best regards
Knut

Does the UC sound the same as the FF400 or are they different?

They are the same - except for the USB connection and the TotalMix FX GUI in the UC.

best regards
Knut

Hello , as I started this post last year, I'd  better share my experience and thoughts about the final choice.

I ended up getting a Fireface UC, I'm very happy with the overall audio quality, and  I really use TotalMix a lot. As a replacement for my 828 MK1 + fastlane combination (used for a decade) , total mix it's an improvement and RME drivers make a difference (I'm on Windows XP), I had several troubles getting 828 work, and this almost every-time I updated something important on my system. Motu's PC driver updates sometimes didn't solve any problem actually and I found myself going back to previous drivers, restoring system, etc. Not that this happens all the time, but I got used to Audio related problems from time to time over the years.
I that sense, after one single driver install+firmware update, I just forgot about it with UC. And there's no comparison about latency between 828 and UC.
Front unit's preamps are very good indeed, I use them as much as I use my Telefunken external preamps, while before with Motu's I allways found a larger difference in quality between my great telefunkens and Motu's.
So I'm happy with it and highly recommend it.
On the other hand, MIDI works very poorly, and RME tech support couldn't find any single suggestion as  how to improve this. I have several MIDI notes that remains on forever (no midi-note-off recorded, and other minor issues, and this happens always, with a couple of different DAWs. I never encountered any MIDI problems with any other MIDI interface since my first MPU 401 (used Motus, Midiman, and all)
So this is something to worry if you think this is an all in one Audio-Midi interface, for me it doesn't work and I gave up trying to get something from RME support. I've sold my fastlane, but I guess I'm buying a new one .
Bu I'll keep UC for audio of course.
Cheers
dede

So it sounds like your saying the MIDI sucks on the UC and it can't be fixed? Is this with all UC units?

So maybe the FF400 would be better for me if I'm having problems with the USB on the UC? I have an old Presonus Firpod that gets low latency and no problems but the UC sounds better to me.

Admin Knut wrote:

They are the same - except for the USB connection and the TotalMix FX GUI in the UC.

best regards
Knut

JarrettPaul wrote:

So it sounds like your saying the MIDI sucks on the UC and it can't be fixed? Is this with all UC units?

My UC definitely sucks with midi data, but it seems to be a case not usually reported on forums. Tech Support suggested the usual (driver+firmware updates, not much more)
I wont say that this happens with all units, but it seems to be a problem they couldn't solve, and I can't see how it'll be related to my particular system that rocks dealing with audio data and with midi using a dedicated USB midi interface.

I guess I better try my midi fast before I can't return it. Would MIDI on the FF400 be better or the same, you think?

in my case I'm convinced that Firewire should have been a better choice as I have a dedicated pci firewire (now unused). This Midi  data problem with UC could be related to my computer's USB traffic as I have 10 USB connectors on the motherboard, all of them working, some with an additional Hub, so there's a lot of data in that USB path. The fact that usb audio is handled perfectly  in UC's remains weird though...
I'll try UC first, test audio AND midi , then if you encounter midi problems switch to FW.
Personally, busy testing audio, I tried midi some weeks after buying my UC and it was too late to change it.

Thank you for the heads up and I'm sorry you have this problem with the midi. I'll check mine soon and let you know if I have the same problem. Sounds like thew FF400 is probably the the way to go. I can't afford the UFX. The salesman I bought the UC from was hinting that Motu Ultralite might be as good as UC but he said the preamps might not be as good. Playing with the buffer setting I managed to figure out away around my latency problem with regular audio. Talk soon. Take care.

Do the FF400 and UC  have the same preamps as well? Does the ff400 give better latency? I heard the USB is faster from the salesman I bought it from?
Is Midi better on Firewire?
Thank you.

Admin Knut wrote:

best regards
Knut

as long as I know preamps are quite the same on both FF and UC (excellent)
Latency on UC is at least as good as FF400, some say better. In my case Motu828 Firewire VS Fireface UC USB, there's no combat, UC wins hands down.
Fireface UC seems to be quite revolutionary in USB cntrollers/latency and let's face it: some PC's doesn't even carry firewire ports at all anymore.
AS for midi don't know.
If you're on Windows forget Ultralite, I worked for 15 years on Motus, great gear but Windows drivers (and support) are far from great.

Thank you for the info. Very helpful.:-)

Chris, it sounds like you a saying differences in latency between the Multiface and UC are hardly heard. I'm used to recording with ADAT Type 11 20 bit and not dealing with latency. Which RME unit will get me closest to that ADAT recording experience.
Thank you.

ChrisLudwig wrote:

HI Dede,

Thanks Chris

Hi,
All of our audio interfaces have a zero latency monitor mixer.
Latency is only a possible factor if you are trying to monitor or process a live audio input through your DAW software.
Latency is also a factor if you are playing Virtual Synth/Samplers with a Midi Keyboard in your DAW.

If you are using RME's Total Mix or Total Mix FX as you Monitor mixer for live audio inputs then the experience will be better than ADAT.
It will be the same as having a hardware mixing board.

My recommendation would be to get the interface with the most flexibility and features.
Thanks Chris

Chris Ludwig
Twitter @RMEAmericas

Thank you Chris, Just one more question. If I have prerecorded tracks and I want to add vocals, Which unit will allow me to have the vocals more in time with the prerecorded tracks or is there always a delay that has to be fixed later?

Hi,
There is no delay when recording to a drive while playing back pre-recorded tracks.
This is the case with any audio interface of DAW.

Latency my effect your performance while over dubbing in some scenarios.
Example: You are using a software effect on the track you are recording live.
Like you want to use your software reverb effect on your voice while you record it.
At that point your monitoring of the signal is passing from the hardware though the driver then to the software, then back back to the driver and then to the hardware. This trip is what all the latency is about.

You audio is being written to the hard drive at the exact time you are recording it. What gets weird is that if the latency is too high your performance is skewed because you are hearing yourself delayed compared to the pre-recorded tracks. This tends to only be an issue when your latency gets above 6ms though.

Chris

Chris

Chris Ludwig
Twitter @RMEAmericas

Thanks Chris, O.k. so if I need below 6ms to overdub vocals without having them skewed then I should get UCX or Multiface?

Thank You

Hi,
All of our interfaces will operate at or below 6 ms even with large sessions on any modern computer.
Most users operate below 3ms on a daily basis.
Your desktop system will be more than able to operate below 3ms as long as it is working correctly.
This will be the case with any of our audio interfaces.
The UCX if it is in your budget range will give you the best possible features.

Chris

Chris Ludwig
Twitter @RMEAmericas

Thank you very much, Chris.