Topic: RME UFX PreAmp Bypass?

Can you bypass the mic pres on the UFX?  I know you can set the gain to 0 but i believe it still crosses the that stage. Is there a complete bypass?

Re: RME UFX PreAmp Bypass?

There is no need for a complete bypass. The UFX preamps are exceptional neutral even with high gain values. They are completely neutral with a value of 0 dB. The difference to the other inputs of the UFX is the Advanced Parallel Conversion of these 4 inputs.

best regards
Knut

Admin Knut wrote:

There is no need for a complete bypass. The UFX preamps are exceptional neutral even with high gain values. They are completely neutral with a value of 0 dB. The difference to the other inputs of the UFX is the Advanced Parallel Conversion of these 4 inputs.

So, if you had a reference class preamp would you recommend to connect it to these inputs?
In what respect will the audio with parallel conversion sound better? I have to admit that I have a hard time hearing a different sound from the UFX compared to the FF400.
Regards, Andreas

So, if you had a reference class preamp would you recommend to connect it to these inputs?

The UFX preamps are reference preamps. But it's of course possible to connect any other preamp to these inputs.

In what respect will the audio with parallel conversion sound better? I have to admit that I have a hard time hearing a different sound from the UFX compared to the FF400.

Advanced Parallel Conversion uses two converters for one channel and achieves a better SNR. Better specs means not automatically a "better" sound. RME converters are completely neutral since the beginning. They don't make "sound" or print a color to the signal. The Fireface 400 has different but exceptional good converters. Many users canot hear a different sound, but some recognize a difference and praise the UFX. In the end ADDA is a completely subjective thing. Surely it's important, but Mic and mic position have more influence on the sound than any of todays AD converters.

best regards
Knut

And moving your head 10cm, when listening wink Also called head placement (best on top of the rest) sorry it´s late and I´m having a fever :-°

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

So, to be absolutely clear, patching an external preamp via XLR to the front panel line inputs will utilize the parallel conversion, correct?  Assuming it does, would this not be a better option (i.e. lower noise, better conversion/accuracy) than going into the rear TRS line inputs?  Or is it not as ideal, given the fact that the signal is going through the UFX's mic preamp?

Thanks,
Dave

I would also like to know what is the best option?
I just bought a lunchbox with a great river & API 512C and want to give them a try on vocals and bass
right now.

plug them in and let your ears be the judge... your ears are better than internet opinion:)

_

RME HDSP9652 | | RME Digiface USB