Topic: Totalmix effects - recordable?

Ok so I have finally got a great sound out of the echo, reverb, and EQ from my Babyface. Only to find out they don't record into the actual track in Logic.
Some sources have told me the effects are only there to provide confidence for vocalists.... but seriously? Why go through all the trouble and make great effects and have them not recordable???? Is there really no way?
Can someone help me out. Thanks

Re: Totalmix effects - recordable?

Can someone help me out.

The manual on page 59 explains the Loopback function.

best regards
Knut

Hi, and thank you for the reply.

Yes I have read about the loopback function on page 59.

However I am still unable to make it work.

When I engage the loopback function two things happen.
1) The sound I hear from my headphones change so it sounds like I am in another room.
2) Nothing gets recorded.

Apparently this could be a problem due to input monitoring on both logic and Totalmix.

I also spoke to the salesperson whom I bought it from who then consulted their RME dealer regarding this matter. He told me the only way I could record it is through a process where I go out again through the headphone jack.. He said this would not be a good solution because (1) I won't be able to monitor with my headphones anymore and two the channel would only be mono instead of stereo or something along those lines.
He told me the babyface effects were not designed to actually be recorded to only to be used when monitoring the recording so the performer has confidence.

I'm not entirely confident this is the case. That's why I registered in this forum to get advice hopefully more from the source (RME people).

So, if the saleperson was wrong, please help me. I would be very surprised to learn that all the fancy EQ, echo, and reverb is only for monitoring...

Thanks you, greatly appreciated.

Matt

hhmmm, more info...

cause I don't use the preamp on the babyface (have a separate preamp) I have both the in and out selections on the hardware rolled all the way down.
And I just realized hardware outputs has AN1/2, AS1/2, and ADAT3/4. When I was talking about engaging the loopback button I was engaging just the AN1/2...
And I am connecting the babyface to my preamp with "line in left"....

I also spoke to the salesperson whom I bought it from who then consulted their RME dealer regarding this matter. He told me the only way I could record it is through a process where I go out again through the headphone jack.

This wrong. As the manual clearly states the internal loopback function sends the hardware output directly to the recording software - including the effects on this output (= bus). You don´t need an external cable. When you press the Loopback button this output goes directly to Logic instead of the signal at the hardware input (Mic, guitar). It doesn´t matter if only input 1 is connected - the Loopback sends the complete bus (stereo or mono to the software inputs).

If the routing with Analog in 1 confuses you and your monitoring source is not output 1/2 but the headphone out 3/4 (without a Loopback option because no corresponding input), try the Loopback with another bus:
- copy the mix from your monitoring output (right click)
- paste the mix on output AS1/2 (= digital SPDIF or ADAT 1/2 - when you switch between the two busses no fader on the inputs and playback channels should move
- press the Loopback button in AS1/2
- now choose input AS1/2 in Logic in a new channel (it´s input 3-4, not 5/6! - because the heaphone output 3/4 has no corresponding analog input)

You get the following routing: The mic signal on hardware input 1 passes through TotalMix gets all effects (except the input EQ) and goes from output 3/4 directly to the recording software. The peakmeter in Logic should move exactly like in the TotalMix output channel AS1/2 when you move the output fader in TotalMix. If you see a signal on the peakmeters you can record. Afterwards click Solo in Logic and listen to the recorded track. Should be the same like on TotalMix output 1/2 (or 3/4 when you copy the mix from there).

I think your problems result from a double routing through TotalMix and Logic to the headphone out. An easy routing should be like this:
- all inputs to output 1/2 (all playback faders all the way down)
- output 1/2 includes all the effects - Loopback activated
- Logic record channel: input 1/2
- Logic mixer output goes to TotalMix output 3/4 (your headphone output)
- Route only software output 3/4 to Phones 3/4 (all other faders all the way down)
- Output 3/4 gets now the recorded TotalMix signal with the effects plus all Logic effects and tracks
- Output 3/4 should not have any effects! They will not be in the recording chain.

best regards
Knut

6 (edited by Mattchen 2011-04-17 09:57:26)

Really do appreciate the response, but still no good.

I took my setup to the recording department I bought my unit from and two guys there looked at your response and the manual while toying with the software for an hour and couldn't figure it out.

I'm going to assume this unit was designed for audio engineers only, and maybe rocket scientists too... but I'm just a musician.

I took my setup to the recording department I bought my unit from and two guys there looked at your response and the manual while toying with the software for an hour and couldn't figure it out.

Wow, this is a great service for an early Sunday morning. But more information please. Can you record a bus via Loopback in Logic with the effects?

I'm going to assume this unit was designed for audio engineers only, and maybe rocket scientists too...

You are right, but we live in times where pros need tools not toys. RME tries to give them what they need.

best regards
Knut

Nope.

We were not able to imprint the effects onto the recording in Logic.

We "only" had an hour to toy with it because they were closing shop for the day.

One recording tech rented a babyface unit at the store so he can figure it out.

I thought this unit was marketed for the home studio guy not necessarily the master engineer. Well, maybe it's something simple I that's being overlooked...

I thought this unit was marketed for the home studio guy not necessarily the master engineer.

It´s for both. If the home studio guy wants to work like a master engineer and print effects to the recording he can do it.

best regards
Knut

Yea I suppose that makes sense.

I wanted to confirm one more thing. I gather from your response that the EQ is not imprint-able on the recording?

As described in the manual on page 59 the EQ of the input channel is not in the record path. The EQ of the output channel can be recorded.

best regards
Knut

He did not mention 'input'. Just in case - Option DSP EQ for Record. Page 15 and chapter 25.3.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

14 (edited by Mattchen 2011-04-19 08:51:17)

Ok I feel like I have made this to be more difficult than it probably is. I'm hopeful I can still make it work. Bare with me please.

I found the "EQ for record" check in the options/DSP area... but that's all the progress I have made.

I have reset all settings on Totalmix and am trying to follow Knut's instructions step by step...

Now I see how when you right click on certain areas of the screen you can copy submix. But what is the "monitoring output"? I don't know what to copy to AS1/2.
Actually all the instructions prior to "press the Loopback button in AS1/2" I am a bit confused on.

Let me describe how my totalmix currently looks it may give you some insight on how I am setup.

Totalmix:
- AN1 has green movement (sound) w/ FX send all the way up (orange).
- AN1/2 has green movement with "stereo" engaged.
- "main" in "control room" has green movement; EQ is engaged and FX Return all the way up (all orange).
- Reverb and Echo are engaged.
- EVERYTHING else is inactive.

Logic:
- One track called "input 1"

Babyface connection:
- Connecting to my preamp through "Line in left".
- In and Out properties are all down to zero (running a separate preamp).

I'd really appreciate some more help. Thanks.

- AN1/2 has green movement with "stereo" engaged.
- "main" in "control room" has green movement; EQ is engaged and FX Return all the way up (all orange).

OK, it seems you have your monitoring with all effects on the headphone output 3/4. You can check this by clicking O-Names in the View Options. "Main" should change to PH3/4.

PH3/4 does not provide a "Loopback" option, because there is no corresponding input (see above). If you want to record this mix you have to copy it to another output and route (= loopback) this channels to Logic.

Here is one way to do it:
- right click "Main" (PH3/4) and copy the submix
- right click output AS1/2 and paste submix: Now you have the same signal with the effects on AN1/2
- click "Loopback" in AS1/2
- Switch to Logic and choose input AS1/2  (= input 3-4) in the track, where you want to record the headphone mix
- route this channel in Logic to Babyface output 3/4, switch to TotalMix and click Mute in PH3/4 in the 2nd row (software output) to avoid a signal loop.
- Record in Logic (except the EQ of the AN1 input)

Click "Main", set the volume fader of PH3/4 (2nd row) to 0dB and unmute this channel to listen to the recorded track. 

Next step could be a setup to keep PH3/4 and AS1/2 in sync for all changes on levels and effects.

best regards
Knut

16 (edited by Mattchen 2011-04-19 22:36:27)

Thanks for the reply.... instructions were very clear this time and I feel I am closer. Here's my progress.

- I right clicked and copied submix on "main", which is in the "control room".
- Pasted in AS1/2 in "hardware outputs".
- Engaged "loopback" at AS1/2 in "hardware outputs".
- Reassigned Logic's track to Input 3-4 by selecting output 3 and then pressing the "o" symbol at the bottom.

All this seems to be pretty straight forward. Here's where I might have strayed.
- "Route this channel in Logic to babyface 3/4", how?
- "Mute PH3/4 in software output", there is no "software output", do you mean "software playback"?

When I record in Logic nothing gets recorded. I am assuming I am just missing something in the last two instructions.

Thanks so much...

Could it have to do with the FX return and FX sends cause I have some of them turned all the way down... and the actual "out" on my babyface is turned all the way down too...

18 (edited by Mattchen 2011-04-19 22:41:05)

I just found "output" in the I/O of Logic, just below Input 3-4.
There's no "babyface 3/4" but I did pick "out 3-4" .... but still nothing getting recorded.
And I don't mean nothing as in no effects I mean no sound at all.

Mattchen wrote:

- "Route this channel in Logic to babyface 3/4", how?

There is a big and rather heavy (as in weight) manual coming with Logic that should explain how to route tracks into audio interface channels. fryingpan

- "Mute PH3/4 in software output", there is no "software output", do you mean "software playback"?

At this point I seriously suggest you get someone to set this up for you. This sophisticated piece of equipment is your crafts' tool and you should *understand* how it works instead of just going by the letter.

This is *not*: a) lift the hammer high above your head. b) lower the hammer with force towards the nail. c) hit the nail on the head. This is: Make the hammer an extension of your arm and start building the cupboard.

Be creative, try around until you get a grip on it, or just do your arts and get a tech!

Yes that's what I would prefer. But I've exhausted all the resources I can think of at the moment. 

I bought the unit from one of if not the largest music stores in Canada and I took it back to them and they toyed with the Totalmix and Logic until closing time and we didn't figure it out. They also called their RME guy which didn't offer much help. I have also made posts in my usual forum the acoustic guitar forum where there's a recording department and also gearslutz forum.
And yes I have read the manual too...

It's not that I am not willing to put in any effort in my end.

I do feel I have made some good progress from the suggestions offered here and I think I am close.

When I record in Logic nothing gets recorded.

You see the green peakmeter in output AS1/2 flashing at the same time you play a signal on input 1? Is the volume fader of AS1/2 at the same value as your headphone output (= Main in the Control Room Section)? If there is a signal it should be recorded in Logic when the Loopback button is active.

There's no "babyface 3/4" but I did pick "out 3-4"

Yes, this is the software playback channel 3/4 in the 2nd row. You can route this channel to your headphone output later to listen to the recorded track.

best regards
Knut

Ok ok, good, getting somewhere.

No I changed input 1 to input 3-4... I thought that's what you meant.

But I went ahead and created two tracks now with input 1 left alone and a separate track as input 3-4 and output 3-4 however when I attempt to engage the I (input) or the R (record) ready in logic my headphones explode with a piercing sound. So I press the M in PH3/4 and it controls it.
Then when I need to listen to the playback I disengage I and R in logic and unmute PH3/4.
The first time the effects weren't recorded.

Then I turned up the FX return or something in AS 1/2 and I think it worked... but I turned it up all the way and the effects were too much.

Ok I can record the effects now but I couldn't before cause the FX Return was set at "-oo"... I turned it all the way to the right "o.o" and I am getting the effects now. Thank you so much.

Two more questions:

- What should the default setting for FX Return be then? All the way to the right?
- How can I record the EQ? I have I have "EQ for record" checked. But it's not affecting the recording.

Thanks!!!

What should the default setting for FX Return be then? All the way to the right?

That depends what you want and like for your recording. The strength of the reverb/echo effect results from a combination of FX send gain (input channel effect fader) + effect volume + FX effect return (output channel effect fader) .
A gain of 0 dB in the FX send means, that the complete signal will be sent to the effect bus.

How can I record the EQ? I have I have "EQ for record" checked. But it's not affecting the recording.

I wrote about it above: the EQ of the input channel is not in the Loopback recording path. To use an EQ on the recorded signal you can use the EQ in the Loopback output channel (AS1/2).

best regards
Knut

Mattchen,
What Canadian city are you in? If you're near a Steve's Music or L&M (guessing)
you are probably near an experienced RME user. maybe one of us could help get you over this hump with a meetup and set up.
T-dot? Vangroovy? Montreal?

I'm in Vancouver.

yep, EQ recording now too... everything is working. Thanks a lot!

Two years later, and here I come asking the same question. I have Pro Tools 10 and wish to record the eq, reverb, and echo fx off of TotalMix. I have a Babyface I just purchase two days ago. My Main in Control room is PH 3/4.
There was so much back and forth between Knut and the author of this thread that I simply went nuts trying to piece it together.
1) Is  it possible to re cord the fx from TotalMix on Pro Tools?
2) Can someone please write a step by step guide, as the video produced regarding TotalMix and Pro Tools only explains how to record windows audio. I'm sure someone can explain this, someone who is running their interface with PT.

Kind regards
Quinn

The step by step guide is in the first posts of this thread as well as in the manual. The 'back and forth' of this thread was caused by the OP not knowing how to use Logic. If you know the basics of ProTools then it will be a piece of cake for you.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks Matthias. The problem I think I'm getting is the input and output setup in Pro Tools 10. Am I supposed to set up two tracks? And if so, mono/stereo, audio track/aux? bus output?

Sorry to do this, but I call Torronto to speak to someone and they ask me to email them instead. I might as well contact someone more familiar with the software. We spend the money not only because we love the product, but because we appreciate good service. Really not happy with Canada's support regarding rme.

US DEALER FOR RME : Jeff Petersen....Thank you for helping me out (on the phone).  Americans always on top with service.
I've written this out in caps as I prefer this way. Not angry smile

BABYFACE TOTALMIX FX RECORDABLE THROUGH PRO TOOLS - My set up
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1-    RESET TOTALMIX (SUBMIX, FX, NAMES ARE HIGHLIGHTED IN THE ROUTING MODE)
2-    OPEN PRO TOOLS
3-    SET UP 2 MONO AUDIO TRACKS ON PRO TOOLS
4-    TRACK 1 = INPUT Adat1 (1)
5-    TRACK 1 = OUTPUT Adat1 Adat2 (which is Bus 63-64. Don’t choose bus. Choose Output.)
6-    TRACK 2 = INPUT Analog 2(1)
7-    TRACK 2 = OUTPUT OUT 1-2
8-    NOW GO BACK TO TOTALMIX
9-    SET UP YOUR REVERB & ECHO, FX AND REMEMBER TO ACTIVATE THEM
10-    RIGHT CLICK "MAIN" ON CONTROL ROOM (PH3/4) AND COPY THE SUBMIX
11-    RIGHT CLICK  HARDWARE OUTPUT “AS1/2” AND PASTE SUBMIX
12-    CLICK "LOOPBACK" IN “AS1/2” ON HARDWARE OUPUT
13-    IF PRO TOOLS DID NOT DISPLAY THE PROPER INPUTS AND OUTPUTS, YOU CAN APPLY STEPS 2 TO 6 HERE, BUT WATCH YOUR EARS!!
14-    ONCE YOU ARE DONE IN PRO TOOLS SWITCH BACK TO TOTALMIX
15-     CLICK MUTE (M) ON SOFTWARE PLAYBACK “AS1/2” TO AVOID A SIGNAL LOOP AS IT WILL DISTORT YOUR RECORDINGS IF UNMUTED. IT ALSO MUTES YOUR HEADPHONS IF IT’S PLUGGED ONTO THE BABYFACE SIDE PHONES INPUT, SO UMUTE IT IF YOU WISH TO HEAR RECORDINGS PLAYED BACK ON YOUR PRO TOOLS TRACK – MUTE IT WHEN YOU NEED TO RECORD. NOW, IF YOU DO UNMUTE IT BECAUSE YOU WANT TO LISTEN BACK TO RECORDED TRACKS THROUGH YOUR AUDIO FILES FOLDER WITH A MEDIA PLAYER INSTEAD, THEN YOU MUST CLICK MUTE ON HARWARE OUTPUTS “AS1/2” TO GET THE PROPER SOUND QUALITY OF YOUR FILE. ONCE YOU’RE READY TO RECORD AGAIN, UNMUTE HARWARE OUTPUTS “AS1/2”. TO SIMPLIFY, JUST LISTEN TO YOUR TRACKS ON PRO TOOLS WITH SOFTWARE PLAYBACK “AS1/2” UNMUTED.
16-    TOTALMIX VOLUMES:
A)    HARDWARE INPUTS: “AN 1” =  -8.0 FADER 27.0 GAIN
B)    SOFTWARE PLAYBACK: ALL FADERS AT 0.0. “AS1/2” = -6.0
C)    HARDWARE OUTPUTS: “AS1/2” = +6.0 FADER
17-    THIS UP TO NOW HAS NOT AFFECTED YOUR SOUND AS NO FX HAVE NBEEN ACTIVATED YET. BUT, THIS IS PERFECT AUDIO QUALITY AND READY FOR RECORDING.
18-    REVER & ECHOE FX
A)    BRING UP FX SEND ON HARDWARE INPUTS “AN 1” HALF WAY
B)    BRING UP FX RETURN ON HARDWARE OUTPUTS “AS1/2” HALF WAY
19-    HIT RECORD ON PRO TOOLS OF TRACK ONE ADAT 1
20-    UNMUTE SOFTWARE PLAYBACK AS1/2 TO LISTEN BACK. YOU CAN NOW CHANGE THE FX PRESETS TO ONE YOU PREFER OR SIMPLY CREATE YOUR OWN SIGNATURE SOUND.
21-    EQ FX
A)    CLICK ON THE  EQ SYMBOL IN THE HARDWARE INPUTS “AN 1”
B)    ACTIVATE THE EQ CIRCLE AND CHOOSE A PRESET OR CREATE YOUR OWN.

This is how you help clients who spend their hard-earned money buying your products.
Throw this in the manual if it works for 9/10 clients

Kind regards
Don