Topic: Solved: FF 800 - No driver

Hi!

I have a question that hopefully has an easy answer. Though after spending some time troubleshooting, I'm starting to get a bit worried, and I hope my noobness is to blame. My problem is that I have no driver.

I bought a FF 800 used, without any software cd. I've "fired it up" as it says, and windows (win 7) failed to download whatever it was trying to download, presumably a driver. I've downloaded
this:
"Flash Update Tool for Fireface 800. Update to firmware revision 2.77."
and this:
"Windows 7 32/64 PnP driver for Fireface 400 / 800 / UFX, version 3.034. Requires the latest firmware version!"
from the RME site's download section, and unzipped the files.
Nothing happens when I try to open the "fireface_fut" file. After reading the readme, my guess is it's because I don't have an earlier driver installed, like the one that would come on the software CD which I don't have. Where can I get this driver?

Any other ideas what can be wrong here? I'll be glad to supply more information, if what I've said already doesn't help much!

Thank you for reading through this.

Fredrik

Re: Solved: FF 800 - No driver

http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=7348

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks a lot!

I have followed the guide, and installed the driver. I did a restart. The "Fireface Settings" and "Fireface Mixer" icons are running at startup without me needing to confirm this.

I try to open the fireface_fut from where I extracted it, but nothing happens. I check my device manager, and notice the following changes have taken place after I installed the driver:
"Fireface 800" is now placed under "Sound, Video and game controllers" and it has it's proper name. Before installation it was called something including a lot of numbers and letters, which I can't remember, and was placed under "Other devices" as it was unidentified. However, the now properly named and placed "Fireface 800" still has the yellow warning symbol next to it.

Any ideas?

Fredrik

4 (edited by kasaudio 2011-04-12 17:42:36)

fryingpan Restart computer. Click on Fireface Settings or Fireface Mixer from sys tray and both will open (FF800 connected and turned on). Do not click on files unpacked from installation zip file.

"Restart computer. Click on Fireface Settings or Fireface Mixer from sys tray and both will open (FF800 connected and turned on). Do not click on files unpacked from installation zip file."

I restarted my computer. Started it up with the FF800 connected and turned on. Clicked on FF Settings and FF Mixer in the sys tray, and nothing happened. Did not touch the unpacked files.

Still have the same problem. Any help would be very much appreciated!

Fredrik

Did you ever restart the FF or try a different FW cable? As long as the yellow sign is there it will not work.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Yes, I have restarted the FF, both with the computer turned on and off. I also tried uninstalling and reinstalling the driver, but it didn't help. I will try to get hold of another FW cable, so I can give that a try.
I noticed in device manager that in the general information about the FF 800 device (properties) it says "This device cannot start. (Code 10)”. Does this help?

Would it perhaps be a good idea to get hold of a friends' software CD for his FF 800, install his driver and then do the regular online driver update?

Another thing that might be worth mentioning is that my firewire port is placed on an external PCI card from Texas Instruments, and not directly on the motherboard. The chipset is supposed to be Win 7 compatible, but it only included a driver for Win Vista 64 (My OS is Win 7 Home Premium 64).

Fredrik

The chipset driver was definitely the case. I switched from Unibrain drivers to Microsoft drivers and now everything works like charm.

Thank you very much for your time and help.

Fredrik

Thank you, fredrikdronen,

I couldn't get anywhere with the Unibrain drivers installed from my SIIG PCI-3 firewire driver.
I wonder why Unibrain claims to have the best TI drivers for firewire 400/800.
RME simply doesn't work with them.
Uninstalled, and back to original 2006 Windows TI drivers. Everything installs. Now to see if I actually get FW 800 speeds...

Fireface 800, RayDAT, Samplitude Pro