Thanks D. The 3.21 on W7-64 driver seems to work well at my end except that multiclient won't work properly unless the ASIO host is instantiated before the system audio is used. There are no sample rate issues as my entire system is locked to WC from my AD/DA @ 44.1 kHz. I used Nuendo 4, Chainer, Sound Forge, and VLC for my tests:
- If I start an instance of VLC, and subsequently start an ASIO host, the ASIO host is silent. Resetting the ASIO host drivers while VLC is still active doesn't help ("Reset" in Nuendo, toggle Start/Stop Audio in Chainer).
- If I quit VLC and then reset the ASIO host drivers, they start working.
- If I start an ASIO host and then start VLC, it works fine and I can hear both.
- If I start an ASIO host, start VLC and then start another ASIO host, I can hear all three. This works even if I start with Chainer, which is stereo and then run the other two in 5.1
- hdspmix.exe no longer auto-loads into the dock: I have to manually start it up, after which it stays there. The new hdsp32.exe ("32"?) loads up fine on boot.
- VLC no longer can tell that the WDM system isn't surround. The "5.1" setting in VLC used to be grayed out if the WDM system audio was set to stereo. Now if WDM is set to a stereo configuration, 5.1 can be selected, but the output is of course just stereo.
- The HDSP Control panel now opens as it should from within Nuendo 4.
- Two cards in the system work as before, no issues.
- I kind of miss the "ms" labels on the buffer sizes, though Nuendo tells me. At 256 and even 128 (< 5ms I/O), everything seems fine and responsive. I'm actually scared to try less as in the past my system wouldn't handle anything less than 12ms on larger projects.
- I changed the buffer size to 128 with 4 ASIO hosts active and a 5.1 movie in VLC, and it worked fine, but I stopped all the hosts before I did this. I was using Nuendo in 5.1 playing mains through the Multiface ADAT to the AD/DA , with EW Play from another computer feeding audio via ADAT into the 9652 (no delays, everything synced) while simultaneously playing Zebra in Chainer, and Sound Forge playing back a sample at double its native sample rate. However when I tried to change the buffer size with all the hosts actively playing, I killed the ASIO driver; WDM system audio still worked but I couldn't re-activate the ASIO driver, even with a buffer size change. A reboot solved this. So NO to resetting buffers with multiple hosts in playback... I just had to try
- I didn't find any MIDI anomalies, but then I only use my HDSP9652 MIDI for my Mackie Control from within Nuendo and it works fine AFAICT. I use a separate interface for keyboard MIDI I/O (GM5).
I must say that for creative work, it's an absolute joy to be able to keep a bunch of hosts open and not have to worry about channel assignments. It's a huge step forward for my workflow as I can now jump from one app to another without having to worry about anything. And the cherry on the cake is that I can now use the MS Sound Mapper as an output for Sound Forge, meaning that I can play around with sample rates and the mapper takes care of resampling to the system sample rate while I'm using the main system outputs.
You guys deserve a trophy for support and added-value. :-)
PC1: HDSPe PCIe / DF / ADI-8 DS
MBP: HDSPe Expresscard / MF2