Topic: MIDI Out ticking noise

Hi guys,

I just bought a Babyface - had it for a week now.

My problem is this: -

If I just plug in a microphone, the audio input is crystal-clear and noiseless. The only problem is when I have my MIDI keyboard switched on, I hear a constant ticking noise every half a second or so. And this increases (in number of ticks, not volume) if I press a key on the MIDI keyboard i.e. note on / note off. My assumptions is that it has to do with MIDI signals right?

The problem disappears if I switch off the MIDI keyboard OR if I unplug the MIDI cable from either end (BF side or keyboard side).

I'm a total ignoramus when it comes to computer hardware so while I know this ticking-noise shouldn't be there, I have no clue how to go about solving it.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Sam

Re: MIDI Out ticking noise

You should not hear that clicking as long as the mic is attached, and even without it should be near zero.  If so do you use the extension cable? Then try without. How much is that clicking visible in the TM level meters?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by pianist 2011-03-04 20:54:38)

MC wrote:

You should not hear that clicking as long as the mic is attached, and even without it should be near zero.  If so do you use the extension cable? Then try without. How much is that clicking visible in the TM level meters?

Hello Matthias,

Thanks for your reply and apologies for taking long to reply.

Yes problem solved with eliminating the breakout cable.

But why do you think is it doing that?
Does this mean I cannot use the breakout cable at all, or is there a solution to this problem?

Thanks in advance,
Sam

The breakout cable or the extension or both must be broken.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

The breakout cable or the extension or both must be broken.

Right. Just my luck.

So to clarify coz I think I got the wrong terminology here - I removed the extension cable piece and plugged straight into one of the XLRs of the breakout cable. The noise is gone. So this means that the extension is broken right?

Me thinks I'll have to send it back and get a new one.