Topic: TotalMix FX for iPad app v 1.1 available on the App Store

History see here:

http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=18787

TotalMix FX for iPad version 1.1 is now available on the App Store. The update brings a lot of significant improvements. This is the official update text:

------------------------
What’s new:
- Added support for the Babyface (requires firmware 219)
- Added support for Fireface 802
- Added 2Row mode as view option
- Added active background mode for improved response, ARC and Babyface support, and continuous sample rate control
- Added setting for Preferred Sample Rate
- Improved Undo: Loading a Workspace after editing Snapshots removed the last edits from the undo buffer
- Added Store current Setup into Device
- Increased string length for Snapshot names
- New graphics routines for smoother display and less CPU load
- New routines for quicker level meter reaction and less CPU load
- New communication routines - more reliable, more compatible, less CPU load
- Lots of smaller improvements for better user experience and significantly reduced CPU load
- Updated help covering all new features
- Based on TotalMix FX 0.998 with improved Compressor/Expander/Limiter and much more
--------------------------

Important: for all the above goodies, especially the improvements in features and CPU load, you need to update your device's firmware to these versions: UFX CC26, UCX CC10 and Babyface 219. If you missed those updates please update your device with these flash update tools:

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/fut_usb_win.zip

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/fut_usb_mac.zip

An excerpt from the included, updated help:

Preferred Sample Rate. Allows to select a sample rate that is set when TotalMix FX is started. Some background information: iOS Core Audio always defaults to 96 kHz with external pro interfaces. This causes TotalMix FX to have ADAT channels missing, and the DSP load to be higher than at 48 or 44.1 kHz. This options lets TotalMix FX start with the selected sample rate. This sample rate is then set every time one returns to TotalMix FX.

Enable Background Mode. The above scheme is lean, doesn't cause any problems, and generates no additional CPU load. But it fails in many situations. For example using the UFX as DURec recorder or playback tool, the sample rate will change from a set 96 kHz to 44.1 kHz with any system sound (like push messages), rendering DURec unusable. When in background, the ARC doesn't do anything, so you can't even use it to change the volume. With the Babyface, the two buttons (Speaker B, Recall) and DIM are not functional. Finally, setting the sample rate back to the desired value requires to switch back to TotalMix FX one time.

All these issues are solved when Enable Background Mode is set to on. It locks the selected sample rate against system events and lets TotalMix FX continue to operate when in background, so ARC and the Babyface stay fully functional, even with other apps like Cubasis or Auria in the foreground. Note that iOS handles the sample rate requests very well. Setting TotalMix FX to 96 kHz does not mean the whole iPad is locked to that value. Every app started after TotalMix FX will change the sample rate to its own value, and exiting those apps will immediately return to the value set in TotalMix FX - without the need to bring TotalMix FX to the foreground.

Another advantage of Background Mode enabled is that TotalMix FX will no longer be kicked out from iOS when memory runs low (too many apps open etc), preventing the loss of the Undo buffer.

The drawback of Background Mode enabled is an ongoing, yet small CPU load when TotalMix FX is in the background, which otherwise would be zero.

Babyface limitations: Reverb and Echo are not available. These are not rendered in the unit (the Babyface does not have a dedicated DSP chip), but on the computer. For various reasons it is not possible to get the same functionality on an iPad. Another hardware-based limitation is that DIM, Speaker B (Select) and Recall will not work when TotalMix FX is in the background, unless the option Enable Background Mode is set to on.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Re: TotalMix FX for iPad app v 1.1 available on the App Store

We updated the screenshots in the App Store with the two pics below. Instead of usual TotalMix options we now show the app-specific interface settings with sample rate and background mode. Pic 2 shows the new 2Row mode. It is available in two zoom modes and quickly became our preferred way to work with the app, as it shows a lot and in a usable size. The vertical blue divider can be moved and even allows to have a live mixer view, with just input and output row, by minimizing the horizontal space for the playback channels.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

http://www.rme-audio.de/images/iOS/Settings_v11_store.png

http://www.rme-audio.de/images/iOS/2row_v11_store2.jpg

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Roadmap

The next version of TotalMix FX for iPad, 1.2, will most probably be based on TM FX 0.999 or up.
The new 2Row mode will be synced with the buttons IN and PB. Using those will let the vertical slider jump to the far left or right, showing the corresponding channels only.
Option EQ+D for record will be added.
Local Loopback feature will be added.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

5 (edited by togril 2014-03-06 12:12:23)

Thanks MC and RME.
I am about to field record around the Australian Outback - with Double Bass no-less.
This update (Babyface) is very, very welcome for me and many others, I hope.

Best.
T.

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.

~ Albert Einstein

Thank you!!!

I'm Very Happy to hear this!
Thank you!!!

UFX, Babyface Windows7 64bit Cubase

Fantastic!!!!

----------------
Matt McKenzie-Smith (UFXII, UFX, Babyface) MacStudioUltra OS13.2.1
----------------

Hello Matthias and the fabulous RME team,
I really would like to thank you for this new release of the iPad App. I downloaded it and flashed the new firmware... It rocks !!! The 2 rows view will be running the whole Saturday afternoon during my little Jazz Band rehearsal !!
thanks again,

Philippe
www.bluevelvetband.fr

Another thank you and 5 star app rating from a Babyface user!  Seems to be running fine for me on iOS 7.04.

Thank you Matthias and RME team!!! Great work, I am finally able to play (and simultaneously listen) my bass playing while playing my tutorial and metronome apps at the same time via my iPad and my Babyface. Mixing works fine so far I tested. Is there a recording feature when using Babyface and iPad?
I will also test it with my UFX and also on my MacBook Pro later this week. Hopefully, I'll get some delay and reverb effects working. GREAT PRODUCTS I purchased, highly recommended!
If anyone knows about a camera connector kit that would allow simultaneous charging while using it, please communicate! Thank you!

Recording is done with whatver app that allows you to record, but not TotalMix. And it is not possible to charge the iPad, no matter what cable or adapter you use. Don't waste your time trying this.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

This should probably be in the babyface section, but....

The Babyface and the brilliant Totalmix iPad app at the centre of my portable pack.
I also use it optically with an octopre hooked up.
Thanks RME.

Does not include Double Bass of course....Doh!

http://i1257.photobucket.com/albums/ii503/togril/image.jpg

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.

~ Albert Einstein

"Local Loopback" will be added in version 1.2? wauuu
that would be a-w-e-s-o-m-e

i'm starting to get mouth opened with the update periodicity and support of this company.

i'm so pleased there's a company out there taking seriously people who do music with ios devices.

thanks rme!!

www.eccecello.com

I have a UCX updated with the latest software, an iPad mini with the TotalMix app, also both up to date. First time trying it, connected the iPad to the total mix and for some reason it said that it doesn't work with this device. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Macbook Pro i7, 8GB Ram, Fireface UFX, Logic 9, Mainstage2, Ableton Studio 8

UCX? Your footer says UFX. Anyway, you have to set the UFX/UCX into CC mode first.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I'ts possible to use wireless with a router that have an usb port?

I have UFX

No way.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Can I plug a UFX into my computer via FireWire and then plug my iPad into the USB port to control it with the app at the same time?

Currently owning: UFX, UCX, FF400

No...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

RME Support wrote:

No...

Awwwww, are you sure you didn't mean, "No, but that is something we should look into, as well as wireless control through wifi"
????

smile

Currently owning: UFX, UCX, FF400

22 (edited by ebulb 2014-05-01 04:29:10)

manysounds wrote:
RME Support wrote:

No...

Awwwww, are you sure you didn't mean, "No, but that is something we should look into, as well as wireless control through wifi"
????

smile

wireless control would make the app more useful.. from what i can see in order to achieve this you need a way of referencing each parameter in totalmix with unique controller message which returns the topic back to the need for global OSC support.. If totalmix has global OSC support, then the app just needs to act as a controller sending OSC commands for each identical totalmix function.. In other words you add global OSC, you have not only added a great new feature you are also halfway to making the app work wirelessly..  two birds with one stone..

I successfully checked FF UCX with iPhone 4 and iPod Touch 5g as a very handily recording system. Is there a minimal chance of a Totalmix FX version for those iOS 7+ devices in the future? Sure, it's not easy to "convert" it for such small interfaces roll

With a 5.5" phone on the horizon it indeed becomes more interesting to invest the time...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I think current iPhone/iPod devices already have sufficient size, if you would use portrait + landscape mode and if you would divide different mixer parts into single pages. Their small size is a great advantage in different working environments where iPads or Macbooks are to big. TouchOSC layouts already show, how to use those small devices with BF, UCX, UFX in a very efficient way. The small UFX display is a good example how to control this interface in all its parameters. It's not necessary to show the whole mixer page but single elements or groups. No user would use an iPhone to do a complex livemix in TotalmixFX therefore there is no need to show as much as possible mixer elements on the devices display. 
When there is more time i will do some interface layout suggestions.

hello
i just bought the UFX, downloaded the APP for Ipad
at your support section : http://www.rme-audio.de/en/support/techinfo_cc_mode.php
its says : " The Class Compliant mode can be activated and deactivated by the button on the front panel at any time" Wich button??
i don´t have a button saying that on my Fireface ?
is there any support video showing how to conect my UFX to the IPAD?

please help!
thanks

That page is about the Fireface UCX. Instructions for the UFX are in the manual, pg 91.

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/fface_ufx_e.pdf

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Will the app work with a Fireface 800 ? 

thanks.

emjayinla wrote:

Will the app work with a Fireface 800 ?

No, the FF800 has no USB and is not a class compliant device. It's not compatible to the iPad at all.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.