1 (edited by Hobbit 2012-11-09 10:54:57)

Topic: Windows 8 x64 FF800 issue

Hi

Need some help and only got myself to blame sad Updated to W8 last night (silly and impulsive) but none the less done.

Everything appears to run fine for a short while then the sound will hang (with a cycle of very short buzzing sounds).  Closing the application(s) that cause it sometimes stop the sound but mostly I have to turn off the FF800 and restart the unit to get sound back.  Sometimes it will just be a case of restarting the appliction.

No specific runtime before it happens sometimes seconds, sometimes nothing for an a lot longer.  Windows 7 was fine, only happpend using certain plugins with jBridge which sometimes crashed within Cubase.  Again software/hardware restart resolved this.

I upgrade to W8 from W7 last night (starting to regret the move but that's another pickle).

The soundcard was working but intermittently I would get a noise which in W7 meant an application had crashed the soundcard, quite rare normally when 2 apps are using it on an ASIO driver in Cubase with a third party wrapped program.

Firstlyt I unistalled the driver and switched off the unit then rebooted.
I searched the C drive to remove any driver software as I several replicated some old and some new from previous updates.

I now have the latest driver from RMEs website and by updating driver, as the driver has no install setup program, W8 is reporting the drivers unrecogonised.  I now have no sound what so ever.

I need help please.  I have installed drivers manually for years and have a terrible feeeling this might be to do with driver signing which means I am out of my depth.

Please help

Thank you.

M

Re: Windows 8 x64 FF800 issue

How exactly did you install the driver? Also, please provide more details about the hardware setup. We are not aware of general issues as you describe here.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

3 (edited by Hobbit 2012-11-09 18:34:25)

Hi Daniel thanks for the reply :

To install

Load up device panel. (System->Device Panel)

Install driver by right hand mouse select Update driver software

http://i974.photobucket.com/albums/ae226/mfxsound/1devicemanager.jpg

Browse for driver software and select the win_fire_3069 unzipped folder on c drive.  Ihave also tried let me pick from a list of drivers and selecting sound,video and game controllers and also audio input ouput. Selecting the fireface800.inf file.

Update driver software - unknown device pop up screen

http://i974.photobucket.com/albums/ae226/mfxsound/1bdevicemanager.jpg or http://i974.photobucket.com/albums/ae226/mfxsound/1aupdatedriversoftware.jpg

Select folder and results in the following regardless what install route I take :

http://i974.photobucket.com/albums/ae226/mfxsound/2Windowsencounteredaproblem.jpg

It appears to constantly not like the path mapping, I believe?

I have also tried the legacy driver route, same outcoe and error message.

Windows8x64 Pro from W7Ultimatex64
EVGA 55 MOBO (with TI 1394 OHCI Co,pliant host standard was working fine in W7x64)
i7 2.66ghz CPU 920
12gb Triple Ram
ATI 4800 series GFX

Performed an upgrade everything is ok except for the FF800 unfortunately. 

Note did have to reinstall the MOTU midi Express drivers which now worked.

VirusTI installed beta 5.1 drivers working fine as a substitute soundcard for the timebeing but need the FF800.

Thanks for your time

4 (edited by Hobbit 2012-11-09 19:33:48)

Actually I have.  I've tried the only 3 possible methods of installing a driver I know about.

1) As in the manual which is in my post above

Device Manager->Highlight yellow exclamation mark (which is FF800 only hardware not installed)->Browse My computer->

The next stage I have tried both without success and the same outcome :

a) Browse for driver software in your computer -> selecting c:\win_fire_3069 as the drivers are there in an unzipped folder

and I have tried

b)-> Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer

Both methods go through the same process and result in "THE SYSTEM CANNOT FIND THE PATH SPECIFIED" as in the attached JPG above. sad

Sorry this is frustrating.

Sorry, you mentioned above that you used the recommended way already. If so then there is something seriously wrong with the Windows installation. The installer has not changed from W7 to 8 and usually just works.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

6 (edited by Hobbit 2012-11-09 19:37:50)

Ive PMd you MC.

I understand this its odd its only this driver all others are fine.

Where is the recommended locatin to place the unzipped win-fire_3069 folder please? will that make a difference?

I dont think its the installation as all other units work.  Every method results in the same message.  I have checked the FW card is on in bios (as it was previously), I checked the lead and connections, the red host light is on the FF800, two green lights showing -10db. Nothing works sad Its only since I uninstalled the drivers due to the soundcard dropping out and then trying to reinstall, is when the issue came to light.

I have installed successfully Access Virus TI soundcard, Novation Zero SLMKii, NI Maschine, MOTU Drivers and even the QuNeo is working.  Just not the FF800.

You can unzip the files to any path or directory. This is Windows, not us. But there is the possibility that the error message is just nonsense and something different is going on. Maybe download the driver again and try that one (and always use the 'Pick from List' method).

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

9 (edited by Hobbit 2012-11-09 20:12:05)

Ive jsut tried that. 
Ive read a few other issues reagrding the error message on Windows8Forum.  Generally with setup or install exe driver files.  There they have had to set the install to W7 compatiblity.

Im baffled to be honest.

Im clearing out registry of any fireface references and win_fire references.

If after that no solution Ill roll back to W7 again and stay tehre for a while.  Kicking myself for updating to be honest.

Strange thing is it did originally work, just kept bombing out so I thought uninstall reinstall would work sad

I appreciate your time and help, just frustrating and I know its a MS issue, but finding it and resolving is another story altogether.

Ive checked event viewer for device manager - unkown device :

Driver Management concluded the process to install driver NULL Driver for Device Instance ID 1394\A35&1\000A350022BB3914 with the following status: 0xE0000203.

Driver Management concluded the process to install driver fireface.inf_amd64_b1e50cdfe54cbbce\fireface.inf for Device Instance ID 1394\A35&1\000A350022BB3914 with the following status: 0x0.

Driver Management has concluded the process to add Service fireface64 for Device Instance ID 1394\A35&1\000A350022BB3914 with the following status: 0.

Driver Management concluded the process to install driver FileRepository\fireface.inf_amd64_neutral_b1e50cdfe54cbbce\fireface.inf for Device Instance ID 1394\A35&1\000A350022BB3914 with the following status: 0x0.

Driver Management has concluded the process to add Service fireface64 for Device Instance ID 1394\A35&1\000A350022BB3914 with the following status: 0.

Driver Management concluded the process to install driver FileRepository\fireface.inf_amd64_neutral_cead1166ec00b0d8\fireface.inf for Device Instance ID 1394\A35&1\000A350022BB3914 with the following status: 0x0.

This is all the events for unknown device, do these help you identify a problem please?

I am pretty sure your issue is the same as mine (FF400 Win8 x64)

Everything appears to run fine for a short while then the sound will hang (with a cycle of very short buzzing sounds).  Closing the application(s) that cause it sometimes stop the sound but mostly I have to turn off the FF800 and restart the unit to get sound back.  Sometimes it will just be a case of restarting the appliction.

You will most likely need to use the legacy firewire driver.

I had the same symptoms as you, buzzing sound etc;

http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic … 852#p76852

The soundcard was working but intermittently I would get a noise which in W7 meant an application had crashed the soundcard, quite rare normally when 2 apps are using it on an ASIO driver in Cubase with a third party wrapped program.

I used to get this a bit in Win7 x64, but when RME upgraded the diver and added multi client ASIO support things were a lot better.  I would always make sure the default output for my RME was "RME Speaker" which iirc is output 1+2 and then I'd use 7/8 for ASIO stuff, this seemed to help when using multiple ASIO apps and switching between a Youtube video or mp3 player etc;

-

If you do manage to get your FF800 working 100% in Win8 *without* requiring the legacy firewire driver please let us know and/or PM me.

Also please contribute to my thread (or start your own) on Microsoft's forum to request the legacy firewire driver.
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/For … 158a771e1d

Good luck!

hi fsc

I have tried the legacy install as well, as I recall from my notes back in the Win7 lanch days had a similar problem.

The issue I am having however is windows will not install the driver and seems to have issue with the instructions in the inf file, trying to find the driver.

the same result of

The system cannot find the specified path...

its driving me fucking nuts so im reinstalling W7 and leaving W8 for when its all ironed out....my stupid fault for being impulsive with microsoft.

Also the driver signature is fine as I have seen that message when installing it.

Its got to be either something in my registry...
I cannot see how to delete the event viewer for the unknown device, this might be causing it...
Something in the inf file.

Not entirely resolved.  Managed to install the 3034 driver.  But thats back to my original problem of sound crashing after a short time.

Tried updating to 3069 and again the same message is presented.

http://i974.photobucket.com/albums/ae226/mfxsound/2Windowsencounteredaproblem.jpg

Im going to have to fresh install everything for it to work I guess....thats 3 days wasted...If it doesnt work after this sticking with 7.

14 (edited by Erbs Bischof 2012-11-10 09:43:43)

I kept getting headaches during my FF800 install in Windows 8
as well. I was repeatedly picking the wrong entry in device manager
(from 2 identical ones in "unknown devices").
I recall getting similar error messages at that time.
After choosing the correct entry, the install went as usual.
FF800 is running without any hickups whatsoever, in Win8 now.

Erbs Bischof wrote:

I kept getting headaches during my FF800 install in Windows 8
as well. I was repeatedly picking the wrong entry in device manager
(from 2 identical ones in "unknown devices").
I recall getting similar error messages at that time.
After choosing the correct entry, the install went as usual.
FF800 is running without any hickups whatsoever, in Win8 now.

Thanks for the post, I have checked that.  There is only one exclamation mark in Windows8 device manager and when selecting properties it identifies the device as on TI Firewire chipset, which is the FF800.

I gave up in the end and reinstalled from an image backup of Windows7.  My faithfull FF is back online.

The odd thing is in Windows 8 it would install the 3034 version, but then keep dropping out and crashing.
The updating to 3069 resulted in the same repeated error message.
Only FF800 I was having problems with.  Then I lost sound output on the Virus TI, although meter levels in Windows showed audio out no sound from headphones or sepakers.  I think there may have been some audio issues on my system.  We will see on the next W8 reinstall.

Im glad others didnt have my experience and all work, it may have been something in the update.

Once Ive done my updates from for all other software from the reimage install for W7, Ill try W8 once more time and see what happens. The image back up is from a clean install so should be fine.

If not Ill just rollback again.

Hi

I reinstalled Windows7 over the last couple of days and the studio apps.  Saved a back and tried Windows8 again.

Everything works fine except the FF800.  I know others have reported positives but I am finding that any files playing back video, audio or online streaming after a whort moment I get the high end cyclic noise crash (sounds like a high powered flymo)!

Close application and noise stops, retart another and samething again.  Sometimes instantly and sometimes after 10-30 secs.

I have performed all updates from MS and it appears something in my rig is not liking W8+audio.

If there's any info or event viewer info I cant submit, let me know as I'd like to get this resovled.

Thanks

Cant solve it.  Every device works fine on the Windows8 upgrade from Windows7.

With the FF800 audio keeps bombing out and causing audio in applications to hang/loop whilst the application continues to work.

No idea so will leave W8 for a while.  I cant be the only one but no solution ofrth coming.

@RME SUPPORT I have tried what you requested and tried the various installation processes without success.

You haven't asked me for any crash reports to help eleminate the driver and hardware to demonstrate its the installation.  As Ive reinstalled now and replicated the error what more can I provide to get this solved please.

Thanks

H

From what I understood you did an Update installation of Windows 8, not a clean one? Or did you try both already?

I keep meaning to update this post. Thank you for your help and time.

I did a cardinal sin on the upgrade.  My golden rule with upgrades is to fresh install W7, then W8 over the top and then install all drivers. software, configure and then back up. I didn't on this occassion but as everything appeared to work I thought it was a RME driver issue. It is not!

I have a W7 fresh install and all drives, programs and configuration backed up on a hard drive. So I re-imaged my master drive from the fresh installl backup and then upgraded W8 over the top. This actually caused problems with all audio drivers (RME, Access TI).

I'll probably port back over to W8 when SP1 is released and the dust settles and I have a week to install and tinker about.

It takes a long time (3 days on and off) to install everything :

Daw + NI Komplete and all the updates + all other plugins I like to have to hand (the list is long) + personal configuration of data files and shortcut files.