Topic: Babyface 192 KHz 24bit Sound Capture Difficulty

I've just recently bought a Babyface to do USB sound capture. I only use analog stereo in for audio frequency signals capture no outputs are needed. The intrument software will obtain the two channel signals from USB and pass them to our application. I have used the instruments built in USB sound card (upto 48 Kz sampling rate, 16bit) and the laptop's line-in soud card (16bit, upto 192KHz), encountered no issues. But I can't make the Babyface work. The software can detect the Babyface Analog 1/2 In but can not open the the device when set to 24 bit, 192 KHz.
--If I lower the sampling rate to 48KHz and 16bit, the software indicates it can open the software but the time marks are missing.
--The 'babyface analog 1/2 In can be seen and adjusted via Windows sound recording devices like other sound cards.
-- My PC is running Windows 7 32bit and the Babyface has the firware 0184 and driver 0984.
--My question is what setup combination I take would make Babyface function like a normal PC or USB sound capture card but have 192 KHz sampling rate and 24bit resolution?
--My friend ran into trouble with the sample application in a M-Audio USB box as the line-in(or Mic-in) of that box has a 300 msec delay to eliminate the pop-up noise.  Has Babyface has the similar setup?

Any suggestion and help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Babyface 192 KHz 24bit Sound Capture Difficulty

What software are we talking about? Does it allow to choose 32 bit (which will effectively choose 24 bit) operation?

3 (edited by ywan03 2011-08-09 11:48:39)

Thanks for your interest. The software is called VNWA, it's witten for aquiring data via sound cards. Yes, it allows 24bit operation. some people in the user group has sucessfully used ASUS PCI 24 bit sound card running the software.

The 192 KHz Sampling rate is neither a problem for my Macbook Pro sound card runing bootcamp Windows 7 32bit. but I want better resolution so chose Babyface.

--I've got the 192KHz 16bit working. The 24bit won't work at any sampling frequency. Is there any way we can verify the Babyface 24bit is working under windows 7 environment without additional software?

If you can provide a download link I can check the software. 24 bit operation *does* work in Windows 7, both for system sounds and for WDM applications. But WDM applications have to use *32* bit communication, not 24 bit. So most likely your software either does not offer that, or you need to configure it to use 32 bit.

G'Day Timur,
Realy appreciate your help. The software download link is here:
http://sdr-kits.net/DG8SAQ/VNWA-installer.exe

but the software requires the device VNWA to present to run so you may not be able to investigate.
It also apears to me that even with the 16bit operation I can't always get it work. For example tonight, I could get 16bit work first then switch to 24bit, failed. Now I can't even run the 16bit.

My unit, although newly bought, I've noticed is a slightly early unit, S/N 23131306. The box says made in Germany with optical cable supplied but actually came with the carrying bag and no optical cable, like the later package. I wouldn't know if any internal difference.

Like I thought the software only offer to setup 24 bit, but not 32 bit operation. This might be the culprit.

You can try one more thing though. Open START -> Control Panel -> Sound. Double-click on the input you want to run with your software, choose the "Advanced" tab and check if the input is set to 16 bit or 24 bit.

Further tests shown if I turn on the Reverb, I can run 16bit all the time. does this mean if I get some settings right, basically make Babyface behave more like a normal PCI 24bit sound card, I may get the 24bit work. I am not familiar with all these professional sound card configurations so please advise. Thanks.

Timur,
Good hint on the 32bit thing, I will check the Asus 24bit card which had a sucessful run, to see if it has 32bit internal operation.

I've tried changing the 16 bit to 24bit from the windows recording configuration, it does not work. It appears the application software does what you selected and ignores the windows setting as there are two check boxes in the windows setting that allows the device to run exclusive mode.

I may also get back to the software writer to see if he has some clue.

Thanks again

Hi Timur, as the Babyface can work at 16bit with the software, what bit operation at this selection. I'm trying to gather as much info as possible before contacting the software writer. Thanks

He needs to use 32 bit integer with little endian byte order as far as I can tell.

Thanks Timur. I will contact the software writer and discuss the issue. For the mean time, is it possible to advise the difference in operation between Babyface's 24 bit and Asus Xonar D1. The spec is listed here:

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews … r_d1/4.htm

This is  the card can work 24 bit with  the software. As far as the software group known, most of the sound card can work with the software except some M-Audio for startup delay and cheap Creative Lab cards for the two channels having different delays.

Would this be a clue, the Babyface can work with the software only if the Reverb is turn on and the audio amplitudes are close to perfect?

It's possible that the other soundcards use 24 bit instead of 32 bit, but I can only speculate.

You mean that in 16 bit mode you can only use the software when Reverb is turned on? Are you sure it's not a matter of gain levels?

You're right that Babyface can only work with the software under 16 bit if the reverb is turnned on. I've tried differenct gains again and no sucess. The software indicates "Sound device open sucessfully. No time mark. Please check audio levels.." If it works it will indicate "Time mark found at Buffer? and xxxxx pulses"

So far I have been told the software I am using may not work properly under Windows 7 but ok with XP. So I have to wait to the update of the software.