Topic: Nicer icons for Fireface Settings and Fireface Mixer on Mac

For a long time the ugliness of the Fireface Settings and the Fireface Mixer icons really bugged me.
Today I made alternative icons for myself which came out pretty good in my opinion, so I decided to share them with you.

Fireface Settings:
http://i48.tinypic.com/adotg2.png

Please note that this is based on this icon so it cannot be used commercially unless you pay 3 dollars

icns file:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=3HDBLDGR

Fireface Mixer:
http://i45.tinypic.com/kbykqq.png

icns file:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=C2TR41HP

in order to change the icon first make a backup for the application, then right click the application and click Show Package Content. enter the Contents directory and then enter to the Resources directory. inside you can see the current icns file, replace it with the new one and enjoy.

note that in dock won't update the icon, but you can remove the application from dock and then add it again and then it would appear with the new icon

Re: Nicer icons for Fireface Settings and Fireface Mixer on Mac

Hi tnadav,

absolutely great work!

Thank you!

Wow!
They are very good!

Thanks.

very nice...should inspire RME.

http://www.grooveyardrecords.com/tristankleinuniversalmojo.html

Cool!!! Downloading...

FF400 Bus powered|MacPro 2008-2,8x8core-16Gb ram|Mountain Lion 10.8.4

Before:
http://i.imgur.com/Kpmci.jpg

After:
http://i.imgur.com/QJ1wE.jpg

The default icons are THE ugliest icons I have EVER seen on a Mac. Just square boxes with graphics that look like they came from 1993, and they are puke-inducing. They look COMPLETELY out of place on a Mac's dock.

It would be SO worth it to Mac users to finally get some beautiful icons instead of the graphical abortion that is currently there.

I know that you made the mixer icon so that's royalty-free, but the flames would have to be settled, before this could be bundled with the installer. Either way, this is the first thing me and people I know install after we've updated the Fireface driver.

The other thing we install is the appropriate, beautiful skin from Terry Gorle here (who by the way is a really nice guy, you should support him by buying a beautiful skin that matches your DAW): http://www.heirapparent.com/totalmix.htm

So anyway, RME, please bundle these massively improved icons in the future. It's such a major improvement that it's ridiculous.

7 (edited by pulseforce 2011-07-29 14:58:04)

Oh wow, I just looked at the license terms for the 2nd icon. Holy balls! It would cost RME a *TOTAL* of THREE DOLLARS and it's then theirs FOREVER, with NO ROYALTIES: http://www.psdgraphics.com/commercial-use/

So, RME, if you pay THREE TEENY WEENY DOLLARS, you have two INCREDIBLE, HIGH RES, Mac-ready icons FOREVER.

Go for it! Don't be fools! It's not 1993 anymore! ;-) You're producers of some of the best audio interfaces in the world. Now spend *THREE* dollars and give the icons this stunning, modern makeover. Just do it! There's nothing to think about here!

Many thanks to tnadav for the cool icons.
Those RME ones really were the ugliest thing.

And thanks to pulseforce for pointing me to Terry's new themes for the ugly mixer.
I've just installed it.

And to the RME guy who wrote in another thread that you can't have stable drivers AND acceptable icons I think this thread has proven you wrong.

And is there a reason we're forced to have them in the dock?
I've moved them, but then the Fireface only outputs audio from one output

These icons are truly classy! Thanks tnadav!

+1 for these icons to become standard default icons!

Cheers,

b.

https://granurise.com

Nice lil' gift!
Thanks a lot tnadav.

Regards
Davide

11 (edited by pulseforce 2011-10-13 22:58:12)

There seems to be a lot of stubborn pride from RME in this issue. Users have provided everything needed (full ownership rights for free!) for the most beautiful possible icons, yet they're sticking with their homemade icons that look like they came straight out of 1993. I run a company as well, and I actually listen to customers. If they had provided me with incredible icons for free, and transferred all rights to me, as has happened here - I would accept them IMMEDIATELY. This is pathetic. RME - you don't have to keep being stubborn; just accept the gift you've been given for pete's sake! You're looking really silly, refusing to upgrade the ugliest icons I've ever seen in all of my Mac OS X history - when ALL work has been done for you for FREE, jeeze! There's nothing to think about here! Hey, you accepted a re-skinned TotalMix skin to be the new default a while ago - why not ICONS!? It's very annoying having to keep copies of these icons and manually replacing them every time I update the FireFace driver, just to avoid puking.

Edit: Why does RME respond to *everything* EXCEPT this issue? I know they've read this thread several times, as they've deleted various posts from it. I think it's stubborn pride again. I remember RME previously saying they thought the old, nasty icons are good looking and that it's a "matter of taste" which is better. Laughable and pathetic...

Wow, I never thought so many people would be interested in these icons...
Thanks everyone for the support!

pulseforce wrote:

There seems to be a lot of stubborn pride from RME in this issue. Users have provided everything needed (full ownership rights for free!) for the most beautiful possible icons, yet they're sticking with their homemade icons that look like they came straight out of 1993. I run a company as well, and I actually listen to customers. If they had provided me with incredible icons for free, and transferred all rights to me, as has happened here - I would accept them IMMEDIATELY. This is pathetic. RME - you don't have to keep being stubborn; just accept the gift you've been given for pete's sake! You're looking really silly, refusing to upgrade the ugliest icons I've ever seen in all of my Mac OS X history - when ALL work has been done for you for FREE, jeeze! There's nothing to think about here! Hey, you accepted a re-skinned TotalMix skin to be the new default a while ago - why not ICONS!? It's very annoying having to keep copies of these icons and manually replacing them every time I update the FireFace driver, just to avoid puking.

Edit: Why does RME respond to *everything* EXCEPT this issue? I know they've read this thread several times, as they've deleted various posts from it. I think it's stubborn pride again. I remember RME previously saying they thought the old, nasty icons are good looking and that it's a "matter of taste" which is better. Laughable and pathetic...

I never thought people would get so hung up on ICONS! People they don't affect your sound or usabilty of your device. I prefer the RME icons.

What I like better is making music.

Just saying....

Isaac P

rotfl
The last few posts are a wind-up right??

Icons? - Seriously...........no label or client I've ever presented a project to or even a casual listener gave 2 hoots about what the icons of the hardware I was using looked like...

Dear RME - please immediately add something to everyone of your products that stops people with way too much time on their hands not creating music from being able to buy your hardware..

Icons????? Icons????? ------ my sides.....please make it stop! :roll :roll :roll

15 (edited by isaac 2011-10-22 05:04:19)

drainaudio wrote:

rotfl
The last few posts are a wind-up right??

Icons? - Seriously...........no label or client I've ever presented a project to or even a casual listener gave 2 hoots about what the icons of the hardware I was using looked like...

Dear RME - please immediately add something to everyone of your products that stops people with way too much time on their hands not creating music from being able to buy your hardware..

Icons????? Icons????? ------ my sides.....please make it stop! :roll :roll :roll

Every client I've ever had wanted to make sure my icons were pretty before they hired me......

lol. and rotfl

Isaac P

lol
It is a known fact that a good looking GUI sounds way better then an ugly one

tnadav wrote:

lol
It is a known fact that a good looking GUI sounds way better then an ugly one

And writes better songs for you.....DeadHorse

Can't wat to get my suppah duppah mac book. Prior to listening and testing RME system, I will change default icons with those ones.

Agreed, the default icons are hideous. Thanks for making yours public!

Bosie

Icons are nice, but give RME break... Bashing them because they won't use someones nice free icons?

Honestly who cares, as long as the driver is rock solid and my totalmix works I'm happy!

Nice, but the 3D perspective of the Totalmix icon does not fit with any of the other Dock icons.

22 (edited by pulseforce 2011-10-27 19:31:34)

To the tasteless minority: Explain to me why the laughable default icons belong on a Mac? They're the ugliest icons that have ever disgraced the Mac desktop. That is all. I bet you're Windows users, which would explain the lack of taste.

To tnadav: Thank you so much for providing RME with beautiful icons that would cost them a grand total of $3 to own forever. If they can't accept this, then they're at fault, not you. Thanks again for taking the time to fix their hugely flawed, disgusting icons.

To everyone: Sorry for being so blunt but I'm fed up with the bull.... Here we have an undisputable improvement for free, and RME treats its customers to silence.

If I'm allowed a personal opinion, I don't particularly like the alternative settings dialog icon, esp. in the way it sits in the dock somewhat timidly in the above example.

In my role as forum admin, I think it is time (if not long overdue) to close the thread after pulseforce's unwarranted attacks on other users. If you wish to keep your account, please refrain from this kind of thing in the future.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME