Topic: TotalMix FX DSP Mixer

Hello,

Will "TotalMix FX DSP Mixer" also be available for other RME products or is it only for BabyFace and future products?

Thank you.

Regards,

b.

https://granurise.com

Re: TotalMix FX DSP Mixer

Sorry, not possible for existing products...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Even for the Fireface UC?

Hello,

the new TotalMix FX is a completely new software and - as the name says - supports the FX included in the Babyface (EQ, Reverb, Echo). As the Babyface and the UC share the same driver the UC will have the new TotalMix surface/design too, but  - obviously - without any effects.

All other hardware will stay with the current TotalMix, which we continue to support and to improve.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Hello,

the new TotalMix FX is a completely new software and - as the name says - supports the FX included in the Babyface (EQ, Reverb, Echo). As the Babyface and the UC share the same driver the UC will have the new TotalMix surface/design too, but  - obviously - without any effects.

All other hardware will stay with the current TotalMix, which we continue to support and to improve.

Thanks for clarification!

When can we expect the new TotalMix surface for the Fireface UC?

That's too bad for Fireface FW owners ...
I remember there was an update of a rewrite (TotalMix 3.0) promised some time ago.
It's a pity we don't get to benefit from the (hopefully) improved ergonomics and functionality (aside from DSP fx of course).

Personal website https://www.lorcan.me
Company website https://www.lmdsp.com

Around next week or the week thereafter.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Great!

Concerning the on-board DSP FX, is it an in-house RME developement or outsourced to 3rd party programmers?

All in-house. RME quality. ADI-96 Pro did this already, now we reworked and expanded everything with amazing results. Especially the reverb is on a level that we are really proud of.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

11 (edited by Bone 2010-03-25 12:58:12)

Any Screenshots?

Edit: Found it myself.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUrNF11H4EA

Edit2: Funny!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6j3qPBnqWl0

12 (edited by Lorcan 2010-03-25 12:53:25)

There's Mathias presenting the new Totalmix here (at the end) http://www.musotalk.de/event-reports/vi … -babyface/
It not only really looks great, the layout is much clerarer. The ability to set channels to 'narrow' mode is a nice addition too.
When asked by the journalist if previous devices can benefit from the new TotalMix (I don't understand German very well but i think i got this) he states that people need to 'upgrade', with a big smile ...
I must admit I'm a little disappointed with this, as one of the reasons I chose RME was long-term support.
You can't expect someone to change his gear one year after buying it, just to get a software update, especially at this price point ...

I wonder if new DSP plugins will also be available as normal VST / AU plugins...

And I don't understand why new look and functionality will not make it in old TotalMix. Is there a technical issue?

OK, let's skip DSP effects and aux sends etc... but multiple grouping, new look, channel size manipulation, etc could be integrated for sure, no?

minimalB wrote:

OK, let's skip DSP effects and aux sends etc... but multiple grouping, new look, channel size manipulation, etc could be integrated for sure, no?

Yes, Please! :-)

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8

Randyman... wrote:
minimalB wrote:

Yes, Please! :-)

Double yes please!

----------------
Matt McKenzie-Smith (UFXII, UFX, Babyface) MacStudioUltra OS13.2.1
----------------

16 (edited by coder2k 2010-03-26 09:49:29)

Hi!
As RME always told us that the chips in their interfaces can be freely reprogrammed and updated with a firmware update, why wouldn't it be possible to choose NOT to let the (e.g.) Fireface 800 calculate Peak/RMS volume but instead of that having a few 3-Band EQs (even if it's not in every channel)? On a DSP card (e.g. UAD) you can use the processing power for different things, too. Isn't there enough processing power in the Firefaces? Or would it just be that much work that it doesn't make any sense for RME?
When I bought my Fireface I thought, these programmable chips make it possible to add things like internal FX afterwards. Did I misunderstand the concept of these chips?
There were a few situations in which I had to use software monitoring just because I needed one simple EQ. So even if I could only use one EQ in a channel of my choice in the monitoring path in TotalMix, I could often switch from software monitoring to TotalMix which would be really great.
Can someone explain why such changes are limited to other systems (other than the Fireface 800 for example)?
Thanks a lot!

And by the way: Babyface seems to be a cool product :-)

why not also on TotalMix or Digicheck geting the opportunity to insert VST plugins ? I don't mind about latency in the most of the case.

would be nice, isn't it ?

Always you have been a great support and the one of the best! I sincerely hope that you will allow and make totalmix fx in the near future for all of your products

Do not betray us

Best regards
Ivan

www.studioton.net

19 (edited by dadgad251 2010-03-26 16:52:24)

Perhaps we we are dealing with some technical constraints. As the saying goes "you can't have your cake and eat it".  If you ignore the "cosmetics" of the user interface, then surely we need to concede that TotalMix is exceptional and revolutionary in that it allows for unlimited real-time mixing and routing operations, with all inputs and playback channels simultaneously, to any hardware outputs. Show me any other audio-interface that boasts these features.

Regards,

dadgad

dadgad251 wrote:

Perhaps we we are dealing with some technical constraints. As the saying goes "you can't have your cake and eat it".  If you ignore the "cosmetics" of the user interface, then surely we need to concede that TotalMix is exceptional and revolutionary in that it allows for unlimited real-time mixing and routing operations, with all inputs and playback channels simultaneously, to any hardware outputs. Show me any other audio-interface that boasts these features.

Regards,

dadgad

For sure, but as you know, you give a little to the users and they always want more ;o)
So from, we are tempting by this forum (because forums are friendly and we almost knows the admins and developpers), to get more and more !!!!

This is a good relationship between users and producers !

When I buy software/computer hardware, I make my decision based upon these main criterions: quality, features, and long term support
Nobody wants something that goes out of date quickly, but companies have got consumers used to renewing their stuff every year or so (mobile phones ..) by making it obsolete quickly, but that works because the price is within reach of the 'average' consumer.
People pay extra to get 'pro' gear such as RME to get this kind of support .. Otherwise many 'amateurs' such as myself would probably go with the cheaper alternatives such as M-audio, whose quality and features, although not quite on par with RME, are more than ok for most.

I think there is not much hope that it will be technically possible to add much of the functionality of the new TotalMix FX to an FF800. I looked in mine the "fattest" FPGA inside is a Xilinx XC3S400. Matthias spoke in the youtube video of a new fat FPGA that is not yet available (in quantities). The current top of the line of the Spartan series has about 20 times more Logic Blocks ... not to speak of the nice Virtex-series from Xilinx which can add another factor 10, has an embedded PowerPC core ..., but it is not to be assumed ,even with RME ;-)  that a chip is used that is more expensive than the product.

coder2k wrote:

As RME always told us that the chips in their interfaces can be freely reprogrammed and updated with a firmware update, why wouldn't it be possible to choose NOT to let the (e.g.) Fireface 800 calculate Peak/RMS volume but instead of that having a few 3-Band EQs (even if it's not in every channel)? When I bought my Fireface I thought, these programmable chips make it possible to add things like internal FX afterwards. Did I misunderstand the concept of these chips? Can someone explain why such changes are limited to other systems (other than the Fireface 800 for example)?

Generally speaking, the FPGA can be re-programmed anytime (this is how RME referring to this feature).
As Matthias stated on video the Babyface featuring the state-of-the-art, not even available to public in mass quantity yet FGPA technology.
In case the FX section is implemented whitin FPGA, then the older RME products featuring older Xilinx Spartan FPGA generation simply have not enough resource to cope with the EQ/Reverb/Echo implementation and requirements.

BTW, can any RME wizard confirm whether the FX is FPGA or dedicated DSP?

FPGA, of course.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I understand that EQ, Dyn, Verb and Delay are not to be on the list for old products.

What I don't understand is why there is no plan to offer new look, multiple grouping, channel size manipulation and other goodies for old TotalMix based products.

Is there a technical limitation too?

Straight answer from RME about this issue would be very helpful.

Regards,

b.

This is a completely rewritten software, written directly for the Babyface. Therefore we will add a few updates to the old TotalMix over time, but not provide the new one for every old product (and that includes even reference products like the RayDAT or MADI cards). It's simply much too much work.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks Matthias for clarification.

Regards,

b.

Can we expect then a new ff800 hardware(MK2 for example)with a new rewritten totalmix fx?

www.studioton.net

You would have to reckon that, based on the amount of work involved in the re-write, the new Totalmix structure was not just for "small-scale" products like the BabyFace and FFUC.   While a "FF800 MkII" would seem logical, might we expect a FF1600 with 8 mic inputs using the digital controlled gain technology?

Meanwhile for current HDSPe products like the AIO and MADI, I do hope that at least the improved channel handling (mono/stereo) and grouping might be migrated from the USB TotalMix, as these have been on the wishlist for ages.  I don't see new versions of these cards (with added DSP) any time soon.

One point - any change or improvement in control surface support in USB TM?

De gustibus - et sonus - non est disputandum

I don't understand why the FF400 UC is able to get the new TotalMix and not The FF400 firewire. If the 'name' of these 2 hardwares is the same, we can imagine that only the way of transmitting datas is different (firewire vs usb).

In the other case it would mean that FF400UC is different from the FF400 condisdering the internal architecture.

What about this question ?

31 (edited by rsjt 2010-03-30 09:46:33)

Is the MIDI control more comprehensive in the new totalmix? I can see control surface + Totalmix FX + hypothetical future product with more I/O being a rather useful combination. (An OSC backend would be ideal but better MIDI would be a reasonable compromise)

MC wrote:

This is a completely rewritten software, written directly for the Babyface. Therefore we will add a few updates to the old TotalMix over time, but not provide the new one for every old product (and that includes even reference products like the RayDAT or MADI cards). It's simply much too much work.

Please do incorporate as much of the new functionality of Totalmix FX as is possible into the existing Totalmix software. Most immediate is the larger channels and increased visibility of the new layout. I know this would be very beneficial to my own workflow, as I'm sure it would be for many others usinf the older Totalmix. I love the software as is, but I have definitely desired a better visual layout (as with the newer FX version) on numerous occasions. Aside from this though, if it were possible to incorporate the fader grouping and undo, I would be an even more happy RME customer, and feel that RME def strives to have the back of it's customer base.

Bone wrote:
MC wrote:

Hello,

Thanks for clarification!

When can we expect the new TotalMix surface for the Fireface UC?

MC wrote:

Any news on when we can expect the new driver?

No. There has been some rewriting and easter holidays, so maybe next week or thereafter.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

space1uno wrote:

Please do incorporate as much of the new functionality of Totalmix FX as is possible into the existing Totalmix software. Most immediate is the larger channels and increased visibility of the new layout. I know this would be very beneficial to my own workflow, as I'm sure it would be for many others usinf the older Totalmix. I love the software as is, but I have definitely desired a better visual layout (as with the newer FX version) on numerous occasions. Aside from this though, if it were possible to incorporate the fader grouping and undo, I would be an even more happy RME customer, and feel that RME def strives to have the back of it's customer base.

Nicely said bro, AMEN to that !

36 (edited by talino 2010-05-07 20:36:02)

Hi all.

I was just about to purchase a Fireface UC when the Babyface came out ("just about" meaning preparing to leave my house and go to the store when the Musikmesse RSS feed got updated...) Now I'm totally confused. I hesitated a long time between the FFUC and the MOTU 828mk3, because of the MOTU's built-in reverb which would have saved me lots of headaches. But everyone (reviews, forums, salespersons) went so wild about RME products that I (almost) decided to take the plunge.

When the Babyface came out, I searched and found this thread, trying to figure out if, and when, RME was going to add the TotalMix FX DSP features to some of the current lineup (FF800, FFUC...) Apparently this is not going to happen ("Therefore we will add a few updates to the old TotalMix over time, but not provide the new one for every old product"). Or am I wrong?

If I'm wrong, is there *any* way for RME to define a *vague* timeframe for future, multichannel interfaces similar to the current lineup, but with onboard DSP? 2, 12, 24 months? I've put my entire project studio upgrade on hold because of this (and also because Avid bought Euphonix, but that's another story...)

Thanks for your enlightment.

Hi RME,

I'm thinking about using BabyFace and Total Mix FX as my Monitor Control section with the possibility to do routing, leveling and room correction equalizing.  After doing some research and reading the manual of Total Mix there are a couple of points left that haven't been cleared up completely:

1. Is it possible to set the Total Mix FX Main Out Assignment to 5.1 output on ADAT or is it stereo only?

2. As far as I get it, I can create an hardware input to hardware output signal chain within Total MIx Fx, that offers 6 bands of EQ
   total + low cut. Any additional software application than Total Mix can use the pre-EQ input signal. (I'm thinking of a metering
   application here, that of course shouldn't show me the eq-ed signal). Is that right?

3. Is there any possibility to create a "special purpose" pre-eq mix down within Total MIx FX that would be routed to a software
    input but not to any physical out? The scenario I'm thinking of is the following:
    - Pro Tools 5.1 out to baby face mac via ADAT,
    - pre-EQ input signal to metering software on baby face mac
    - variable pre-eq mixdown of those input channels (e.g. via aux busses) to a spectrogramm-application on baby face mac 
    - eq-ed input signals to studio monitor inputs

Furthermore I'm interested, if the following features could be an option for upcoming updates:

- 10ms integration time option for the Total Mix Fx / DigiCheck meters 
- channel delay
- controler LED chain working as some sort of level scale of the controller wheel

Any help on this would be highly appreciated!

Best,
Markus