Topic: Clicking "ASIO settings" make Cubase freeze

Hi everyone,

I have a problem in Cubase and other DAWs, too. I own a HDSPe AIO for a few days now having exchanged my m-audio Delta 2496. Cubase (and other DAWs) allow you to open the settings dialog of the particular ASIO driver inside the audio settings dialog of the application. In the german version the button is called "Einstellungen" so I guess that the button is called "Settings" in the english version of Cubase.

While this button has worked for the m-audio driver, the button does not work anymore with the RME driver. Even worse, I you click this button in Cubase the application freezes and does not respond anymore. You have to shutdown Cubase using the task manager. In other DAWs (like Propellerhead Record/Reason) the button simply shows no settings dialog.

Is this a problem of my driver installation or does this just not work for RME drivers?

Thank you for your help in advance.

Regards,
Stephan

Re: Clicking "ASIO settings" make Cubase freeze

Sounds like Windows 64 - that would be expected except for the freeze. Which Cubase version is that?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I am using Cubase 5.5.1. It's a 32-bit installation on a 64-bit Windows 7 OS.

We've had oneor two reports of the button simply not doing anything, but not of crashing. We'll investigate. Meanwhile, simply open the settings dialog from the task bar, please.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

No problem. Thanks for the quick answer.

Regards,
Stephan

Regarding the freeze/crash: Does it happen if you open the Fireface's Settings dialog via its tray-icon instead of using Cubase's button?

Regarding the "button not doing anything": My observation is that with the Fireface the settings button of *no* 32-bit application (at least not the ones I tried) works properly on 64-bit Windows (it does with other interfaces).

It's not doing "nothing", but it does not open the FF Settings dialog by itself neither. What it does is that it will bring the dialog to front, but only if it has been opened via tray-icon already.

With 64-bit applications it works like expected and opens the dialog in any case.

Can easily be reproduces using Sonar or Reaper in 32-bit and 64-bit mode.

The freeze only happens if I try to open the settings dialog using Cubase's button. When I use the tray icon everything works as expected.

Regards,
Stephan

Interesting as I too have the ASIO button does nothing problem, but the workaround is laughably simple - open the ASIO panel directly from within Windows itself and your DAW will see the hanges anyway. At least i does in Sonar 8.5.3

9 (edited by hartls 2010-08-20 17:45:50)

I have the "freeze" problem here too, when I try to open the RME control pannel via the Cubase dialog.
No problem openening the RME Hammerfall DSP settings via the Windows tray icon.
Interestingly I have also replaced a M-Audio Delta 2496 with the RME card?!

Stefan

my system:
Intel i5-750/2.67GHz, MSI P55-GD55, 8GB DDR3-1333, MSI N220GT-MD1GZ, Samsung HD503HJ, WD10EARS Green, RME HDSP 9632, MS Windows 7 Home Premium/64 Bit, Cubase 5.5.1/32 Bit

10 (edited by h20fam 2010-10-06 17:03:48)

Has anyone figured this issue out?  I have a Win 7 64 based machine with a 32 bit cubase studio 5.5.1 install.... whenever I attempt to lower my buffer setting to play vsti's live (by clicking on the control panel button) the application just freezes.

Has this been solved?  If so, what is the solution?  Is there a workaround to change buffer settings?  I couldnt find those settings in the mixer app in the windows tray.

Thanks as always,

John

Simply open the settings dialog from the task bar for the time being... cool

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Ahhhhhhhhhh.  Forgot there were two icons down there!  That one has been hidden.

Thanks!

Jh

I get the "cubase freeze" also when trying to open the RME control panel from within cubase 6 32bit. I have the Babyface and I'm running Windows 7 64bit. I have two installation of Cubse, both 32 bit and 64 bit. In 64 bit version i works as it should. In the 32 bit version I can, as mentioned by others, still open the contol panel from windows without problems. Only problem is that you might, in the heat of the moment, forget about this issue, and "by mistake" click the button crashing cubase and potentially loosing vital work! sad

Kenneth

This issue has been fixed. The next driver updates for all our hardware will have the fixed code.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Excellent news Mathias.