Topic: Adobe Audition 3 plays back at half speed

I installed AA3 on a Win 7 PC today, and when I try to play wav files, or open Multitrack sessions, the files play back at half speed whenever I select the "ASIO Hammerfall DSP" as the Audio Driver. If I choose the "Audition 3.0 Windows Sound", which uses the PC's internal Realtek sound device, it plays back correctly.

I have a Toshiba Tecra S10 laptop, Win7/32, with RME Cardbus+Digiface (hdsp_wdm_3083 driver)
On my old PC, a Toshiba Tecra S1 laptop, Win XP+SP3, AA1.5, and AA2 it plays back correctly through the same RME chain.

Any hints?

Re: Adobe Audition 3 plays back at half speed

An update. First, I tested with an old ESI Waveterminal U24 USB/ASIO sound device, through which AA3 played back correctly.
Then I installed an 5 years old RME 294(4) driver, without "WDM streaming" for the Digiface, and then the playback started to work at the correct speed. But, with this old software, the bottom "Output" row in the HDSP mixer is all greyed out? Something ain't right here!

More updates. I created a 1 sec sine tone and found that it does not only stretch it to 2 secs and half the frequency, it also adds an incredible amount of distortion, crackles and pops. The sync is all messed up. I tried to toggle every possible option in HDSP32 and AA3, but with no luck.

I also had to install an 'ancient' version 4.53 of DigiCheck, because the latest 5.23 didn't see the whole Digiface. And yes, the Cardbus has the latest hardware revision 17/55.

Hasn't anybody else really experienced any troubles with Adobe Audition (3) and the newer WDM-streaming capable drivers? Because it works okay with two other sound devices in AA3, and Digiface works with the older 2944 version, the problem points to the later drivers.

Your new system is W7 - ever tried a different audio software? Tried DPC latency checker? DC 5.23 works, if not then your driver install is messed up (parts of the 2.x driver still active).

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I tried to use DC 5.23 with the HDSP 2944, the latest one that works OK.
Then, the Digiface device didn't show up in the Card Select list.
With HDSP 2944 the DC 4.53 works.

As for latency issues, the Tecra S10 is brand new, has 4GB RAM and this technology:
Intel Centrino 2 with vPro technology featuring Intel Core 2 Duo processor T9600,
Intel? PM45 Express chipset, clock speed : 2.80 GHz.

So it should technically be 'up to date'?

Exactly what I said. The latest DC does (of course) not work anymore with an old outdated driver.  About latency: completely unrelated. Try this:

http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

There doesn't seem to be any latency problems. That Sycon latency tester shows "Current Latency" values between 200 and 300 uS, and it says that the machine should be able to handle real-time streaming audio and video.
My old PC, with AA2 and XP, where hdsp3083 works, had latency values above 600 uS.

OK, I have now done a LOT of testing here. First, I noticed that I had the CPU speed setting at the default "Dynamically Switchable" setting. When I set it to "Always High", the latency according to the Sycon tester dropped to roundabout 150 uS. This did not correct the half speed distorted playback error with the Hdsp3083 driver.

I decided then that I just have to accept using the Hdsp2946+DC453. All was fine, until I pressed Pause in AA3. Then, an evil buzz was heard as long as the Pause function was on. The level of the buzz seems to be at the same level where the playback level was when the Pause was pressed. If Pause was pressed at a silent passage, no buzz was heard.

Then I realized that by changing the Buffer Size/Latency setting in the Hdsp, the buzz frequency also changed. With 256 (6ms), the frequency was ~85 Hz, and when doubling or halfing the Latency setting, the frequency followed the same pattern. With 64 (1.5ms), the buzz frequency was ~340Hz.

At this point I began to get frustrated, and as you happened to mention Win7, I decided to install XP on another SATA HD. (Sidenote: my XP install CD had some scratches, and it took me two days to manually patch it up with files from my old PC.) After installing XP + AA3 + Hdsp3083 + DC523 on the new PC, all worked fine. No half speed playback issues, or Pause buzz. Just for the sake of testing, I installed the Hdsp2946 driver and DC453. The 2946 worked alright, as supposed, but the DC453 had that same awful Pause buzz. The buzz also was there with Hdsp3083 + DC453.

So, now it looks like the only errorless combination on my new PC is XP + AA3 + Hdsp3083 + DC523. I still have 28 days before I got to buy a Window license, if no solution can be found to make the RME combo work on Win7. So far I've tested AA3 on Win7 with five different sound systems, and all have worked fine, except the RME Cardbus+Digiface combo. On my old XP PC + AA2, I always had Digicheck's OVS Peak Meter on the screen.

Now, I find it 'a little' annoying that I can't use my RME combo with Win7 on my new PC. sad

Now it's been a week since my last post, and two weeks since I heard from you. Probably my last post was too long and complicated?

Shortly, on my new Windows 7 computer+hardware (Cardbus+Digiface) with hdsp_wdm_3083+DC523, Adobe Audition 3.0.1 plays back at half speed with huge distortion.
With w2dsp_2946 playback is okay, but if DC453 is on, a loud buzz is heard when AA301 is paused or stopped in the middle of a file.

On this very same computer+hardware, but on Win XP with hdsp_wdm_3083+DC523, AA301 plays perfectly.
On Win XP with w2dsp_2946+DC453 however, there is that same Digicheck pause buzz.

So what am I supposed to do next?
- Wait if an hdsp_wdm version that works on Win 7 on my PC, ever will be released?
- Buy a Win XP license (20 days left of trial), and forget that Win 7 ever was released?
- Get rid of my for 6 years good working  RME combo, because it doesn't work on my new PC on Win 7?

Your information indicates that the new Toshiba laptop does not have Win 7 drivers for its CardBus slot that work correctly. The old RME driver uses a different transfer mechanism than the new one, which relies more on the computer's capability to copy data quickly and efficient. That is a workaround but no solution - you do need a working CardBus driver from Toshiba or Microsoft for that machine.

The 'distortion' when pausing AA and having ASIO run at the same time is normal and often described in this forum. AA's last buffer is constantly repeated and leads to this 'noise', easy to solve by stopping DIGICheck.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Your information indicates that the new Toshiba laptop does not have Win 7 drivers for its CardBus slot that work correctly...
... - you do need a working CardBus driver from Toshiba or Microsoft for that machine.

I have now for more than a week searched for a solution to this. There is none. My Toshiba's cardbus is physically a "Ricoh R/RL/5C476(II)", and I tested all possible drivers that I could install, some by force. Whichever I chose, Win7 always ended up using MS's "pcmcia.sys" v. 6.1.7600.16385. There just doesn't seem to be anything else available, on this planet...

It seems very hard to understand, that MS would offer a malfunctioning pcmcia driver only, for Win7, as the previous ones for XP work OK?! I've been using laptops for a 100 years, and have 8 pcmcia cards of different types. I tested them, and ALL of them worked perfectly on Win 7. It seems so strange that the RME Cardbus is the only one that malfunctions? If some other ASIO driver could be used (Asio for all?), would Digicheck work anymore?

If it's really so, that the MS Win7 cardbus driver is not working in this particular Win7/AA3/RME scenario, who's the one to tell Bill G. the news? The level of the technical issues here go way above my level. If anybody who reads this has a working system with Cardbus, AA3 and Win7, please write! Do you have the same "pcmcia.sys"?

MC wrote:

The 'distortion' when pausing AA and having ASIO run at the same time is normal and often described in this forum. AA's last buffer is constantly repeated and leads to this 'noise', easy to solve by stopping DIGICheck.

As this problem appears on XP too, it obviously has nothing to do with the cardbus driver. Would it be impossible for you to create a Digicheck, where this feedback would be stopped automatically?

Ericson wrote:

If it's really so, that the MS Win7 cardbus driver is not working in this particular Win7/AA3/RME scenario, who's the one to tell Bill G. the news?
The level of the technical issues here go way above my level.

I'm intentionally repeating myself here. But, I should obviously not have phrased the text above as a question?
What I tried to say, was that maybe the company RME, not me, a private dude, should tell Microsoft that because
of ?$&%#??? reasons, their Win7 cardbus driver does not work together with RME's Cardbus hardware.

Obviously we know nothing except your statement, so what you think could we tell MS that doesn't get thrown into their waste bin immediately? We have no hardware to reproduce this. Seriously - shouldn't you bother Toshiba?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Ericson wrote:

As this problem appears on XP too, it obviously has nothing to do with the cardbus driver. Would it be impossible for you to create a Digicheck, where this feedback would be stopped automatically?

The problem would be for DC to differentiate between a looped buffer and an intentional signal loop...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

MC wrote:

Obviously we know nothing except your statement, so what you think could we tell MS that doesn't get thrown into their waste bin immediately? We have no hardware to reproduce this. Seriously - shouldn't you bother Toshiba?

If you have a laptop with a cardbus, running on Win7, does it use the same Microsoft "pcmcia.sys" driver v. 6.1.7600.16385?
If so, could you test it with Adobe Audition 3(.0.1)? A 30 day AA3 evaluation version can be downloaded for free.

16 (edited by waterpump 2011-11-02 13:11:37)

This is interesting! I have the same half speed problem using Adobe Audition 3 / CS5.5 with RME Digi96 Pad in Windows 7.

BUT - plays perfectly in Reaper 3 and 4!!! So its not the drivers, hardware, or OS but probably ASIO implementation in Adobe 3 / CS5.5

Looks like the Reaper guys know how to implement ASIO in Win7. Adobe - try talking to them!

How about it Adobe?