351 (edited by gmdv 2010-03-31 15:15:02)

Re: Mac OS X Test driver 2.65 for FF 400/800

Now it is 10.6.3 with 2.67.
Sadly no improvement. Still freezes immediately when any audio is turned on.
So turned on FF it is.

DeadHorse <-- Apple

MacPro 2.66 GHz Quad Intel Xeon
8 GB 1066 MHz DDR3 Mac OS 10.6.2
FF 800
Logic 9.1.0

thanks, i thought the driver was running through the settings tool or something. and please consider that not all your customers are as advanced as others posting here. just because i use this forum doesn't mean that i'm an it-expert. BUT i paid about 900 euros for my rme product. just sayin.

For what it's worth, I've been using 10.6.3 with the 2.6.6 drivers now for over almost 3 days now if I'm not mistaken, and so far so good. This is with a Mac Pro 3.1, 2.8GHz 2x Quad model. I've tried to test everything I could possibly use in my normal workflow (see previous post) and so far no freezes or errors. I hope things continue to work for me and that RME figures out the problems in other people's system and get them solved though, at any rate.

I am getting a few little distortions, clicks, every so often when listening to the RME with iTunes though, though minor so far.

Combination of Snow Leopard 10.6.3 and FF800 2.6.6 DOES NOT solve the problem.

iMac 2.93 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4 GB 1067 MHz DD3
OSX 10.6.3

paja wrote:

But it seems to work on other people's systems... Have you given us full details of yours?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

It's not working on my system.
Details below.

FF400 Bus powered|MacPro 2008-2,8x8core-16Gb ram|Mountain Lion 10.8.4

Treefingers wrote:

For what it's worth, I've been using 10.6.3 with the 2.6.6 drivers now for over almost 3 days now if I'm not mistaken, and so far so good. This is with a Mac Pro 3.1, 2.8GHz 2x Quad model. I've tried to test everything I could possibly use in my normal workflow (see previous post) and so far no freezes or errors. I hope things continue to work for me and that RME figures out the problems in other people's system and get them solved though, at any rate.

I am getting a few little distortions, clicks, every so often when listening to the RME with iTunes though, though minor so far.

Thus far all good with same hardware and soft/os versions

----------------
Matt McKenzie-Smith (UFXII, UFX, Babyface) MacStudioUltra OS13.2.1
----------------

RME Support wrote:
paja wrote:

But it seems to work on other people's systems... Have you given us full details of yours?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

1. turn the mac on
2. turn the FF800 on
3. start logic
4. everything woks fine
5. quit logic.
6. turn the FF800 off
7. turn the FF800 on
8. start logic
9. logic hangs at splash screen with "initializing core audio"

nothing helps, just rebooting

4 GB 1067 MHz DD3
OSX 10.6.3

We now have another open case at Apple about this, as neither 10.6.3 nor two more driver changes (only tested on systems where the hang is 100% reproducible) did solve it.

As soon as I have news they will be published here.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

We now have another open case at Apple about this, as neither 10.6.3 nor two more driver changes (only tested on systems where the hang is 100% reproducible) did solve it.

Thanks for the update.

/K

Thank you Matthias.

Hi Matthias,
Great to hear.... Let's hope they (Apple) dedicate some resources to it.

----------------
----------------

Does this apple-issue fix the only 2 left things (clip LEDs always on and crash when switching the FW800 off or changing from FW to internal audio)?

it's not that important, just curious.

www.sequencer.de SynthDBase/Community, www.Moogulator.com The Music

hm....

as far i tested my FF400 (2.66) on 10.6.3 Macpro 4.1 2x2,26 makes no problems ....sleepig no issues ..apps no issues so far ....

the only thing i have is that the FF400 can not be connected when the OS is running , it leads to total freeze and hard reboot ...

it looked this way ..::

-os is running ...
-FF400 reconecting >> the mixer is loading / everything looks good as normal (audiomidi steup is switching to FF400 automaticly) but on first sound i want play the OS freezes totaly ...

im moving a lot ....so it would be great not to reboot every time i want run the FF400 ...

ive tested it on macbook pro 15" 2007? and macpro 4.1

MAC PRO 4.1 2.26x8 11GB / MACBOOK PRO 15" 3.1 / FF400 2.72 / SL 10.6.4

2.67 still have problems to connect the FF400 while OS is runnig ...all the same >> the app that want play something  get 100% CPU and hangs the whole system ....

thx ...

MAC PRO 4.1 2.26x8 11GB / MACBOOK PRO 15" 3.1 / FF400 2.72 / SL 10.6.4

366 (edited by davidwright 2010-04-12 15:52:35)

Got my mac pro back this morning, virtually rebuilt; thank heavens still under warranty, and they fitted a "new" logic board - again! Updated the new 10.6.3 update and things appear to be fine. So my RME/hanging apps/kernel panics and associated problems would appear to be resolved.

My advice to other users on the forum who continue to have problems is this: from my own experience it would be unwise to assume that you don't have hardware issues! What has been made crystal clear to me over the last 5 months is, what started out as an apparent software issue - all working fine until snow leopard installed - developed into hardware issues. Possibly these were caused by the severity of the crashes etc, perhaps allied to SL and maybe even faulty elements within the mac, who knows? I made the point a while back that it is very plausible that one problem developed into another, and another, then another, until all the testing and attempts to resolve the issue becomes pointless. As no-one has yet given me a satisfactory explanation as to what went on with my mac pro, I'm now convinced the problems were apple, not RME. Not trying to win brownie points here, but it seems odd, don't you think, that suddenly 10.6.3 appears to have resolved the issues for some users!

Mac Pro 2 x 2.8 Quad 32GB Ram

All that we see or seem, is but a dream within a dream.

367 (edited by Duistere Bardo 2010-04-12 18:40:33)

remure wrote:

hm....

as far i tested my FF400 (2.66) on 10.6.3 Macpro 4.1 2x2,26 makes no problems ....sleepig no issues ..apps no issues so far ....

the only thing i have is that the FF400 can not be connected when the OS is running , it leads to total freeze and hard reboot ...

it looked this way ..::

-os is running ...
-FF400 reconecting >> the mixer is loading / everything looks good as normal (audiomidi steup is switching to FF400 automaticly) but on first sound i want play the OS freezes totaly ...

im moving a lot ....so it would be great not to reboot every time i want run the FF400 ...

ive tested it on macbook pro 15" 2007? and macpro 4.1

Same here. Everythings works perfect if I connect my FireFace 400 before I start up the OS, but if I (re)connect when running I run into freezes, for example when starting a song in Itunes. Interesting to note perhaps that I noticed that when this happens, the Audio MIDI setup window displays 'no audio devices'.

I am working with the FireFace 400 on the Macbook Pro 15" mid 2009 model with OSX 10.6.3 and the 2.66 fireface driver.

Concerning Apple/RME: even connecting a second screen goes anything but flawlessly here, so I doubt its mainly an RME problem, but on the other hand it seems not many other audio firewire devices have any problems..? Nonetheless I hope this issue will be fixed soon, because I do love the sound quality and overall flexibility of this device. smile

davidwright wrote:

Got my mac pro back this morning, virtually rebuilt; thank heavens still under warranty, and they fitted a "new" logic board - again! Updated the new 10.6.3 update and things appear to be fine. So my RME/hanging apps/kernel panics and associated problems would appear to be resolved.

My advice to other users on the forum who continue to have problems is this: from my own experience it would be unwise to assume that you don't have hardware issues! What has been made crystal clear to me over the last 5 months is, what started out as an apparent software issue - all working fine until snow leopard installed - developed into hardware issues. Possibly these were caused by the severity of the crashes etc, perhaps allied to SL and maybe even faulty elements within the mac, who knows? I made the point a while back that it is very plausible that one problem developed into another, and another, then another, until all the testing and attempts to resolve the issue becomes pointless. As no-one has yet given me a satisfactory explanation as to what went on with my mac pro, I'm now convinced the problems were apple, not RME. Not trying to win brownie points here, but it seems odd, don't you think, that suddenly 10.6.3 appears to have resolved the issues for some users!

It does not seem very logical to me that a software problem can develop into hardware problem (but everything is possible).
My FF800 still works great and the only problem is turning it off and on while Mac is running. So there is some "wake up" driver problem as I can see it.
And I agree with you that it is very likely Apples firewire driver that is a problem (I was testing TC electronic Konnekt Live resulting in more or less same problems. On the other hand I did not test it on OSX 10.5 so I can not say that it is just SL that is a problem)
Personally I think that RME makes great hardware (and software) and they certainly deserve recognition for their work. On the other hand it looks like RME act in panic when publishing drivers that are not tested.
So my suggestion would be, do not come with a new driver if you did not identify a problem and solved it smile. It would be much better to come with some comments on the forum, and do it more often, so that we can follow what is happening.

4 GB 1067 MHz DD3
OSX 10.6.3

369 (edited by davidwright 2010-04-13 13:07:01)

Paja - If you check back on this thread you'll see I've contributed 42 posts on the problem including in depth tests and attempts to get to the bottom of my RME problem! I'd suggest you read up on those posts before making further comment.

Major crashes when drives are spinning WILL cause hard drive problems which will in turn effect how the system operates - FACT. Beyond that, my point is simply not to assume that the problem isn't hardware related.

Mac Pro 2 x 2.8 Quad 32GB Ram

All that we see or seem, is but a dream within a dream.

MC wrote:

Any new from Apple, Matthias?

S2

FWIW, still seeing all these issues with the FF400 on a brand new 15" i7 MBP too.

Tarekith
http://tarekith.com

Guys - my i7 iMac was suffering from the same symptoms (OS X 10.6.3 with FF 800 latest driver) However, with a new update to snow leopard (some patch that corrects the core utilization in regards to audio - probably the same as that for the mac pro) everything works flawlessly! Turned FF on and off multiple times - the computer does not freeze.

So this pretty much has to do with Apple's SL bugs - hope the rest of you find solutions soon.

I encounter exactly the same problem on an intel mac pro early 2008, I am obliged to extinguish
then back to the system does not freeze at this time of initializing the audio in logic or
garageband and cubase 5 even then, I fear that my mac or my schedule has fireface800 force Apple to resolve quickly
problem.
excuse my English since I pass by google translation

mac os 10.6.3   driver rme 2.6.6  dernier flasch firmware 2.77

374 (edited by slimboni 2010-04-23 00:17:38)

2008 Mac Pro, Fireface 800, Snow Leopard, RME 2.66

Same freezing issues when turned on as mentioned previously.

What a nuisance.............this piece of gear is great!

Hope this get's resolved soon!

Wait a minute...............did that horse just twitch ?   smile

today I started by rebooting my computer, connecting the FF400 and after reboot starting up Logic.

Now Fire Face Settings can see the device and report its serial and version. But there is no sound, iTunes simply won't play (it plays when I switch to internal speakers) and there is no work.

I'd greatly appreciate an update on the bug squashing progress.

thank you very much!
Kai

Just had my first grim experience of this hang, entirely my own fault I should add but none the less it was a nightmare, simply because I was copying a 460GB folder from one drive to another at the time sad I turned off all my peripherals as I started to copy this file which was going to take roughly 2hrs. After about an hour I went back to my kit and switched the FF800 back on and the driver seemed to load up as the red light went out however, upon starting Logic it got stuck at the core audio part and my computer was then rendered useless, resulting in a hard restart which in turn managed to corrupt the disk I was copying too. Fortunately, a second disk repair with disk utility appears to have fixed it, but it just goes to show how disruptive this problem is! I never usually turn my kit off whilst OSX is running, but then today hasn't been a usual day for me at all really smile Lets hope Apple can sort it. Cheers.

*MacBookProEarly2011*13" Core i7*OSX 10.7.2 *Logic 9.1.6* 4GB RAM *FF800(3.06 / 2.77)*

im using 2.66 and have the freeze trouble in logic & live.
please advise which driver is best to revert to under 10.6.2.
in order to get rid of this problem.

Hello Simulacra

i never do restart! instead i turn on and off my mac,and when i turn off my FF400 i turn off and then on my mac if i need the FF400 for use again,and also i don't use sleep mod.

and i never have any freeze,my FF400 connected with firewire 400 to 800 cable,and i use the power supply!

(logic 9.1.1 - under 10.6.3)

Mac Pro 8 core 2.8 Late 2008 / 10.6.3 / FF400 / Logic 9.1.1

379 (edited by david_morin 2010-05-02 19:05:20)

I was reading on the Apple forums. One of the post advised "deleting the file, "/Library/LaunchAgents/de.rme-audio.firefaceAgent.plist" got rid off all the remaining issues with the core audio driver crashing after waking from sleep. I don't know what that file is doing there but I have had no ill effects from removing it."
I tried it and I have noticed no problems. Will post back if I run in freezing again.
David

Ok need to reinstall driver... When I switch unit off mixer does not show up... bugger

Had another hang this morning. Here's a brief description of the issue for me.

1. Started up machine after powering on all interfaces including RME FF800 and Digi 003R.
2. Noticed I was not getting any audio playback from the FF800, so checked the 'Fireface Settings' app and noticed it was displaying properties for 'Fireface800 (AB7)', when normally it comes up as (9B7), so I turned off the unit and turned it back on again. It comes up as (9B7), but then the entire machine goers into a gradual hang with apps not responding etc. Eventually the Finder hangs and a full hard reset of the machine (8Core 2.8 MacPro) is required.

----------------
----------------

That is a different issue. An incorrrect device ID means unstable communication. Could be the FF is slowly breaking down, could be just the FireWire cable.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi Matthias,
The only time I ever have this serial issue, is when the 003R is present on the same buss and the FF800 and 003R are cold starting. (not very often. (never have it if I leave the Digi rack turned off)
I had it occurring a while back when I was starting the MacPro at exactly the same time as the racks containing the FF800 and Digi interfaces.
I totally agree re the communication problem, but it seems to be a 'we are not quite ready yet' initialisation process going on... The Digi rack makes a lot of relay clicks in its boot up procedure and if the Mac starts up before this has finished, things go pear shaped.

Restarting the FF800 in any case, causes my MacPro to lock up.
The FF800 is connected via the 800 bus and the 003R via the 400 bus (though I am aware they are not different busses)

----------------
----------------

I tried the 2.67 drivers under Snow leopard 10.6.3 and i'm getting a hiss/high pitch noise coming from the soundcard, when i reduce the latency the noise is getting softer.
Under bootcamp and windows7 machine, i don't get any noise.

What am i doing wrong under OSX ? I guess it's coming from apple firewire drivers...(under windows7 i use OHCI legacy)

Please stay in your thread with this.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Sorry !
I was just feeling a bit lonely in my thread wink

i thought i fixed it by reinstalling the driver, but its still there.
this way its 100% reproducible :
1 - boot the mac with the fireface connected but switched off
2 - start logic and run it with another interface (lets say internal sound)
3 - switch the fireface on while logic is running
4 - change the driver in the settings to fireface
5 - beachball will spin forever- the system freezes

another thing i realized is that the fireface mixer and settings doesnt start automatically when i switch the fireface on while the mac is running already.
but its started when i switch the fireface on before i boot the mac.

aurelienparis wrote:

Sorry !

ils ont des r?ponses sympas chez RME hein ? aussi aimables qu'une porte de prison...

http://www.grooveyardrecords.com/tristankleinuniversalmojo.html

tristan wrote:
aurelienparis wrote:

Sorry !

ils ont des r?ponses sympas chez RME hein ? aussi aimables qu'une porte de prison...

Yeah i guess we should only use our RME under windows.

En effet, pas tr?s chaleureux comme r?ponse.

Dear Matthias,
Did Apple say you anything this days?

Regards,

P.

Hallo
sorry no english :-(
denke das ist hier richtig.
hot swap funktioniert bei mir nach neuer Installation des mac os 10.6.3 wieder.
Allerdings nur in dem useraccount, der bei der Installation angelegt wurde.
Bei migriertem oder bei neu angelegtem user funktioniert es nicht wie es vorgesehen ist.
Es wird anscheinend nur der Treiber in den Kernel geladen aber totalmix und settings werden nicht gestartet.
Vielleicht hilft ja die Info.
Viele Gr??e
Robert Alonso

webmob wrote:

Hallo
Es wird anscheinend nur der Treiber in den Kernel geladen aber totalmix und settings werden nicht gestartet.
Robert Alonso

(Robert says that the driver is being loaded but Total Mix and Settings aren't starting)

So the two apps not starting is a bug too? I simply thought that was the new behavior for driver >2.65.

with 10.6.4 on the way -- any news? any progress?

I recently have had to restart twice to get the driver to be available to iTunes or Max/MSP. Logic works after just one restart...

Kai

Hi Kai,

RME told me that the panel & mixer should still pop up at the start, so yes its a bug.
restart twice seems weird, do you have the FF switched on at the first reboot ?
try to start the FF first and then boot the mac - this way it should always work.
also i have no problems with assigning the FF to the system in AudioMidi Setup.
did you use AudioMidi or systemsettings-ton ?

webmob wrote:

Hallo
sorry no english :-(
denke das ist hier richtig.
hot swap funktioniert bei mir nach neuer Installation des mac os 10.6.3 wieder.
Allerdings nur in dem useraccount, der bei der Installation angelegt wurde.
Bei migriertem oder bei neu angelegtem user funktioniert es nicht wie es vorgesehen ist.
Vielleicht hilft ja die Info.
Viele Gr??e
Robert Alonso

interesting!
i did the same and thought the problem is gone.
but after some reboots it just came back.
but even after fresh install or driver reinstall,
it takes much longer for the system to recognize the fireface.
(the time the red host led is on)

So, no news at all? Driver developing is stopped? Is Apple saying something?

s2

yes same thought here...
i would really like to hear something from RME regarding this issue.

Simulacra wrote:

Hi Kai,

RME told me that the panel & mixer should still pop up at the start, so yes its a bug.
restart twice seems weird, do you have the FF switched on at the first reboot ?
try to start the FF first and then boot the mac - this way it should always work.
also i have no problems with assigning the FF to the system in AudioMidi Setup.
did you use AudioMidi or systemsettings-ton ?

I see, so yes, I have that bug, too.

The fireface was switched on from the start and powered through the external PSU.

AudioMidi setup? to use it for system output, you need to assign it in the Sound system preference pane, though. And then iTunes simply wouldn't play.

I wish I hadn't sold my Mackie Satellite. it sounds noisy, has no headroom and the preamps whine. But at least it doesn't crash my machine.

Kai

Just want to report that it works fine again with the new (beta-) driver*
I'am on a MacBook Pro 3,1 (late 2007) using a Fireface 400.

Cheers   O

(no more system-freezes when starting the FF after the MB)

hello Feuergesicht,

thats good to read !
where can i download this driver ?

Simulacra wrote:

hello Feuergesicht,

thats good to read !
where can i download this driver ?

look at the first post of this thread...

you mean version 2.65 ?
thats an old driver, latest is 2.66.
i guess you did a fresh install of the driver and now you experience the "lucky first time".
please report if it still works after a reboot.