Topic: Mac OS X Test driver 2.65 for FF 400/800

Hello,

driver 2.65 tries to remedy the problems with FireWire bus resets, switching on the FF after the Mac, and sleep mode. As these errors do not show up on our test systems in a reproducible way, only random, we are not sure if 2.65 really fixes the problems. So please give it a try and report back:

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/fi … 86_265.zip

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Re: Mac OS X Test driver 2.65 for FF 400/800

I'm curious: What has been changed? wink

I have the latest quad core iMac and a fw800->fw400 cable, and have gotten kernel panics if I power the FF400 on while the mac is on while using the external power supply.

I then tried to use bus power (the iMac seems to provide enough of it) and powered the FF400 of by selecting the ext power supply option from the rear switch while having the power supply disconnected. No kernel panics occurred.

I'll try with the new driver and report back.

I installed the new driver and it seems to have fixed the problem.

hi!

had kernel panics with driver 2.64a when switching on the FF after booting.
no problems under 10.6.2 on a macpro 2,26 gHz(8-Core), 12 gb ram, fireface 800.

great!!

Hi!

I was one of those with 100% reproducable freezes: Starting FF800 *after* the Mac froze all music apps that tried to use the FF800 driver.

So I installed 2.65, and with the first start, the problem was gone (tried Logic 9)! HOORAY! Hope it stays that way!

One problem remained, however: FF Settings and Mixer do NOT autostart, when I turn on the FF800 *after* the Mac. This has been the same for the whole 2.64 and 2.64a period. The "fireface agent" process is there, but autostart only works when I boot my Mac after having turned on the FF800.

The state in which the FF800 resides without settings and mixer is unclear, too: After autostart hasn't worked, I can hear one of my hardware synths playing, but not the others. There is no preset in the mixer that would allow that. When I then start the mixer manually, it shows the last preset which in my case was with all faders at minimum. So I shouldn't have heard anything at all! So, which setting does the FF800 use when the mixer couldn't be autostarted? Must be one with Input 1+2 turned to 0dB and the rest at minimum.

Can anybody confirm autostart problems? I don't like to start the mixer manually all the time, now the main problem has gone...

Best regards,

Christian

Problem with sync audio and midi has not disappeared. (

v. 2.65, ff400, iMac 6.1, 10.6.2

still freezing for me, I need the driver uninstalling link again please.

http://www.grooveyardrecords.com/tristankleinuniversalmojo.html

http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4602

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

10 (edited by tristan 2009-12-10 21:07:03)

after uninstalling the driver and installing the new one, there are still some freezes after I turn the fireface on. it's not every time like before, but it's still there...

Sorry to report also bad news!

When turning the fireface off waiting a few seconds and turn it on again, i am also having issues from hanging of applications using core audio to total system freezes.

Some more work to to for you guys...

Greets Urknall

Mac Pro Early 2008 2,8 Octo 10 GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4, FF 400 (v3.08 / 1.71)

Urknall, what are you talking about? You turn off the unit while CoreAudio is active with the unit?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

13 (edited by sickle 2009-12-10 22:52:39)

2nd look - still freezes
sad

urknall wrote:

When turning the fireface off waiting a few seconds and turn it on again, i am also having issues from hanging of applications using core audio to total system freezes.

Here it is the same...

Ciao,
Marco

MC wrote:

Urknall, what are you talking about? You turn off the unit while CoreAudio is active with the unit?

Nope, no core audio active. Just simply start my machine, start itunes, stop itunes, turn off unit, wait 3-4 seconds, turn on unit, wait again, try to play itunes again -> core audio application freezes to complete system freezes.

Greets Urknall

Mac Pro Early 2008 2,8 Octo 10 GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4, FF 400 (v3.08 / 1.71)

Thanks for the details.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I'm experiencing just the opposite behaviour compared to many in this thread.  With the Driver version 2.65, if I boot up Snow Leopard 10.6.2 with my Fireface 800 turned on and connected, when the desktop comes up, the red "Host" light on the Fireface remains lit, although both the Fireface Control Panel and Total Mix applications launch by themselves.  If I quit the Fireface applications, and then turn off the FF800, wait a couple of seconds, and then turn it on again, the Red Host light shows briefly but quickly turns off, at the same time as the two Fireface applications launch automatically.  From then on, I can use the interface without any freezes or crashes.

This behaviour is the same as what happened with the previous drivers as well.  I just wait until my Mac is booted up, and then I turn on the Fireface - works every time.  (Late 2006 iMac 24").

Frank Lockwood
https://LockwoodARS.com
Fireface 800, Firmware 2.77
Drivers: Win10, 3.125; Mac, 3.36

urknall wrote:
MC wrote:

Nope, no core audio active. Just simply start my machine, start itunes, stop itunes, turn off unit, wait 3-4 seconds, turn on unit, wait again, try to play itunes again -> core audio application freezes to complete system freezes.

The same is here with my Mac Pro 2008 2.8GHz - 8 GB RAM - Mac OS X 10.6.2 - FF800 (firmware vers. 2.47 - driver vers. 2.65).

Ciao,
Marco

19 (edited by andre 2009-12-11 17:00:16)

Hi!

I've a bug with the RME 800 Logic 9 and Snow Leopard with a new iMac 21,5".
It's like if the RME or Logic loose the sample rate frequency.

And with the 2,65 driver the problem is always here. : (

Maybe it's because I've only 2Go of ram, and with 32bit / 64 bit ???

ARGH! Noooooooo! It's BACK! :-O

Yesterday, it worked fine (see above), now, with my second attempt one day later, the hole BS freezes on me again... fryingpan

So - no improvement... Going to restart my machine... *sniff*

Best regards,

Christian

I can switch on the Fireface after the Mac now.
And, whats more important: I can switch it on with programms running, plus i can use both itunes and logic without a crash.
Switching the Audio-Interface in Logic while it's running and the FF800 is turned on is also possible. Thanks a lot!

(The only thing i don't like: It takes 5 seconds to recognize the fireface after i switched it on, that's new. normally the red host-light went off earlier)

RME Fireface 800 (newest Firmware) connected with a Firewire800->800 cable, Mac OS X 10.6.2, Logic Pro 9.0.2, iTunes 9.0.2, MacBook Pro 5.1 (late '08)

No joy.  Wake computer up, turn on FF800, start Cubase, switch from Mac line in/out to FF800 and the machine
hangs, requiring reboot.  Mac OS X 10.6.2; early 2008 Mac Pro 2x2.8, 8GB.

-Wayne

i have the same thing like a previous message. But when i was on 2.64, some times after wake up my mac always was ok. and now it freezes ((
macbook pro (ealry 2008),Mac OS X 10.6.2, 4GB, ff 400.

http://ilyasobol.com

Thank you all for the feedback and the testing! Maybe we are on the right way but did not make it completely. We will continue to track down these problems, stay tuned.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

sure that you're on the right way ! I'm happy to see your efforts. wish you succes !!!

26 (edited by ChrisRock 2009-12-15 23:18:19)

Hi all!
I was testing the 2.65 driver under SL 10.6.2 - No FireWire bus reset here; But when I go to FFMixer>Options>Preferences. The Folder CoreMIDI.framework appear bouncing on my Dock. / command + alt + Esc. give me a  CoreMidi (not responding) ... I have the same error with the 2.64a driver.
I have to force quit to shut down the mac.

Again in  the FFMixer>Options>Preferences> Midi controler > Midi input tab I can't put NONE since I don't have this option here. This happen to me on Leopard too. To left this blank I have to click anywhere over the desktop. It's all right?

Hope this info help

Kind Regards,

Christian.

/MacPro 2 x 2.66/FF800 via FW 800 cable/

I am also having freezing issues on my Macbook Core 2 Duo (generation previous to unibody) with 4 Gig RAM, running Logic Pro 8.0.2, using a FF400 interface updated with latest firmware and FM software.  I am running Snow Leopard (10.6.2).

It seems if I turn on the FF400 before I turn on the computer... then I can open up Logic and things will generally work; however, sometimes Logic will still crash seemingly out of the blue and either throw me out or lock up my computer completely (I can't even do a Force Quit or Cmd-Tab to other open applications).

If I have Logic open and then I turn on the FF400 I am definitely getting booted or crashed.  And if I have the computer running (but not Logic) and I turn on the FF400 and once it loads, I open Logic, I still get problems.  Hope this helps to get this resolved quickly.  It is very frustrating.

I also had a problem inside of Logic (and maybe this is a Logic issue but I am mentioning it)... I was in the Environment creating a multi-instrument to my Motif ES8.  When I double-click on the Channel numbers (1-16) on the instrument I newly create, I should be able to edit the program and bank... to edit the voices... but Logic opens and immediately closes the window.  If I double-click and hold the 2nd click, the window sits there and I can see it is trying to be instantiated... but when I release the mouse button it immediately closes.  Doing this a few times, I've had Logic then completely freeze and/or crash on me and boot me out!  Maybe this is related!?!?

I am also having some crackling noises from time-to-time.  I need to see when this is happening and if its consistent.  Two days ago I was typing on the computer and I was hearing the crackling through my headphones.  As I was pressing keys randomly on the keyboard, listening to this, I got blasted with a mid range frequency through my headphones.  There was somethings triggering it through my mic plugged into channel one.  Yet there was no sound in the room to create any sort of feedback loop.  After I threw my headphones off, I quickly unplugged the mic from Channel 1.  Sound went away.  Again, I had NO SOUND coming out of any speakers... nothing playing that would create a feedback loop... and there was no build up anyway... it was just a sudden blast of sound in my years.  I was only typing some keys on the keyboard listening to some electrical static I was hearing.  I will have to see if I can recreate it today and repost if I do.

Hi!

Still freezing! I did uninstall and delete old files (snow leopard) as there were told in the tips and tricks section. I have still freezing issues with the test driver if the fireface is reconnected without rebooting the system.So the freezing happens when I try to play something in iTunes or from the finder window, and probably with Logic also.

This is kind of off the topic, but I just realized another issue with external display. Somehow connecting external display adds humming to the input channels 1 & 2 so that the noise floor raises to -51. This might be solved by taking the displays current from the same extension cord as the fireface, but this time writing I can't try it out.

My setup is Macbook Pro 17" (unibody), Snow Leopard 10.6.2, Fireface 800.

Plug out the power-supply of the Macbook and try again.

The Macbooks have awfully bad grounding. My 2008 15" Unibody used to have creeping current on its chassis (tickling feeling when moving a finger over the chassis).

My current 17" Unibody outputs electronic noise over its internal speakers even when these are turned off. Even more interesting (or worse) it emits sinusoid tones whose frequency is proportional to the audio buffer size used on *any* connected audio interface (ExpressCard, Firewire, USB, internal). The latter is a bit different on Windows compared to OS X, but both is not really what I like to have on such an expensive machine.

Since I switch to Snow Leopard 10.6.2 the red light on my FF800 goes on/off every 10-15 secs.  Whether I'm on Logic 9.0.2 or iTune.
It just losses it.  I installed 2.65 and the pb is the same, maybe worse than before.  I can't work at all. You guys at RME have to do something about this, please...

Oddly enough, I didn't have this problem with 10.6 or 10.6.1... and 2.64a, Hum.....

PS:  I reinstalled my entire system from scratch a few days ago.  I thought it would help clean things up, but no...

I'm gonna try and power up the FF 800 after the mac, as others did, and see if it helps.

31 (edited by Neve 2009-12-19 11:49:25)

Well, I tried turning on the FF 800 after the Mac...  Doesn't help.
I'm really pissed off!  I can't work!

Ok,

I have to apologize.

The problem WAS NOT coming from the FF800 driver at all.
Now it works perfectly with driver 2.65 or 2.64a and Snow Leopard 10.6.2.

I narrowed down the problem, and here it is:
There was one FW disk at the end of the chain with a defective FW card (enclosure).
Since I backed it up and turn it off, everything is just perfect.
Here is my setup:

Mac --> FF800 --> 2x ADI 8 DS (ADAT) --> 6 FW HD.
FF800 and ADI8's analog I/O connected to an old 24-track Neve Console.
Euphonix 4x MC Mix, 1x MC Control, Logic 9.0.2.

Works like a charm.

Maybe some of you have chained FW devices as well and one of them is causing problems....

Check it out. DeadHorse :-)

Neve wrote:

Ok,

I have to apologize.

The problem WAS NOT coming from the FF800 driver at all.
Now it works perfectly with driver 2.65 or 2.64a and Snow Leopard 10.6.2.

I narrowed down the problem, and here it is:
There was one FW disk at the end of the chain with a defective FW card (enclosure).
Since I backed it up and turn it off, everything is just perfect.
Here is my setup:

Mac --> FF800 --> 2x ADI 8 DS (ADAT) --> 6 FW HD.
FF800 and ADI8's analog I/O connected to an old 24-track Neve Console.
Euphonix 4x MC Mix, 1x MC Control, Logic 9.0.2.

Works like a charm.

Maybe some of you have chained FW devices as well and one of them is causing problems....

Check it out. DeadHorse :-)

i dont have any other firewire-devices connected

sickle wrote:

i dont have any other firewire-devices connected

Well, I don't know then.  That was just a lead...
Have you tried replacing your FW cable?

Cheers.

A firewire disk may produce a busreset when it's turned on or turned of and when the disk reaches the normal rotation speed. In that case audio is interrupted for a short period of time.
More busresets than that are not common and may indicate a bad/defective disk.
/Uwe

tested with new firewire 400 and 800 cable
same effect

uwekirst wrote:

A firewire disk may produce a busreset when it's turned on or turned of and when the disk reaches the normal rotation speed. In that case audio is interrupted for a short period of time.
/Uwe

That's exactly what happened to me.  I changed the drive and all is fine, both with 2.64a and 2.65.

2.65 solves a major problem: 2.64 did not allow the Fireface 400 to be recognized at all by my MacPro, under OSX 10.6.2.
2.65 actually works better in 10.6.2 than 2.64 on another MacPro with 10.5.8.

Even with this new driver drops the FF400 iMac 7.1 with OSX 10.5.8 or 10.6.2. To use it, you have to interface with a Firewire HD. when you can solve this problem?

Neve wrote:
uwekirst wrote:

/Uwe

That's exactly what happened to me.  I changed the drive and all is fine, both with 2.64a and 2.65.

I think it would be great for everyone to post what exact model of Firewire HardDrive do you own.

My actual setup is MacBook Pro 5.1 > HD G-Technology 1 Tera (Connected F800 to F800) > FF400 (Connected in F400 to F400) .

If I use the to popular LaCie Quadra HardDrive, it will NOT work. So the Firewire cheapset drive will affect a lot your configurations !

I'm still hoping to tour without an Firewire HardDrive on stage has it only make more possibilities to crash the system.

Conclusion : HD G-Technology 1 Tera works great !!

See ya

All my FW drives are either Maxtors or Western Digitals.  The one that was defective was of an "unknown manufacturer"

[img align=C]http://stephen.nabet.free.fr/pics/Screen_shot.png[/img]

Thanks to Jeff for pointing out this driver today. I think it's getting closer. Have been hammering after deleting
all old files, making sure to restart and empty trash a couple of times and it seems that anything associated with
the OS and RME driver are repaired (i.e, I can run Itunes and power on and off my device at will now!)That said, I have not tested what happens when Snow Leopard goes to sleep AND now we go to Logic 9....

I can get the issue to replicate if I open Logic from a fresh restart + RME engaged and ready in the Taskbar) by working for
a bit, and closing any open project BUT leaving Logic 9 open and running in the background (nasty habit, i'm lazy). If I then power off my fireface and power back on I get the rainbow wheel and have to hard boot. Once restarted I can replicate this time and time again - guessing it's something to do with core audio not letting go of the RME driver?

A huge thanks to Jeff for getting me closer to less stress.
I'm also a huge fan of everything RME has offered to my audio experiences.

My main system:
2.66 Quad, Snow Leopard 10.6.2 / 8Gb Ram
Fireface 400
Logic 9

best...

43 (edited by vt 2009-12-23 12:26:36)

Timur wrote:

Plug out the power-supply of the Macbook and try again.

The Macbooks have awfully bad grounding. My 2008 15" Unibody used to have creeping current on its chassis (tickling feeling when moving a finger over the chassis).

My current 17" Unibody outputs electronic noise over its internal speakers even when these are turned off. Even more interesting (or worse) it emits sinusoid tones whose frequency is proportional to the audio buffer size used on *any* connected audio interface (ExpressCard, Firewire, USB, internal). The latter is a bit different on Windows compared to OS X, but both is not really what I like to have on such an expensive machine.

Thanks Neve for other solutions, but I found out that the humming noise occurred because the display wasn't plugged to the same extension cord (or from the same point of room). Before this, I had assumed that you should do that only with audio equipment. Apparently there?s some grounding issues with Macbooks, as you said.

To the driver issue I have no news, because I have kept my setup running all nights in a row. But still, I haven't had outboard HDs attached while had these freezings, so let's see how things are going to be after Xmas.

44 (edited by moogulator 2009-12-26 04:40:48)

fixed all, except Over LED are lit all the time (on the software mixer).
Switching the FW off will cause problems (it did not before, if simple switched to the internal source) - not a big problem though - I mostly have it running via the FW anyway.

www.sequencer.de SynthDBase/Community, www.Moogulator.com The Music

Please confirm that they work on Macbook pro Mb990

Problems here at all.
Clean Snow Leopard installation, in a Early 2008 MacPro 2,8... My FF400 freezes my system if turned on after starting OS. The card seems ok, no red light, and FF icons are launched on the dock... but that's all, freezes audio apps...

P.

FF400 Bus powered|MacPro 2008-2,8x8core-16Gb ram|Mountain Lion 10.8.4

2.65 driver does not solve my problem. Computer still hangs.

I have the same behavior as with the 2.64a driver, see my original post:

http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=6975

/K

Have you deleted the driver before installing 2.65?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Randay wrote:

Please confirm that they work on Macbook pro Mb990

Works great.

Still got accasional Kernel Panic when switching on, seems like the FF needs to be powered on a little time before booting, changing to other audio will cause bad things

Looks like this is still unstable since Snow Leopard (had no probs with Tiger - skipped Leopard)

Kernel Extensions in backtrace (with dependencies):
         com.RME.driver.FirefaceAudioDriver(2.65)@0xa27000->0xa2ffff
            dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOAudioFamily(1.7.2fc1)@0x917000
            dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOFireWireFamily(4.1.7)@0x9e4000
         com.apple.iokit.IOFireWireFamily(4.1.7)@0x9e4000->0xa26fff

Maybe helps debugging?

www.sequencer.de SynthDBase/Community, www.Moogulator.com The Music