Topic: HDSPe ExpressCard(34) and Multiface on Lenovo Notebooks

Hi,

I have the following problem:

I wanted to install an old Multiface box on my new Lenovo X200 notebook Windows
XP 32 bit with SP3, using theHSDPe ExpressCard adapter.
Unfortunately, the installation did not work propperly and there seems to be a hardware incompatibility.
Here is what I did in detail:

According to the manual, I switched off the notebook, plugged in the HDSPe card and
switched the notebook on again. Windows booted and I logged on. In the next step, the new
hardware should have been detected. This did not happen. In order to nevertheless install the driver,
I unplugged and replugged the HDSPe ExpressCard and after I did this, the hardware was found.
I installed the latest driver from the web site and was asked to reboot, which I did.
After reboot, when booting Windows, I got a bluescreen after two or three seconds of boot time.
In the next attempt to boot, Windows was started in the normal mode (not the safe mode) and
the system came up without bluescreen. The HDSP mixer and the setting items are there on the desktop
launching the applications by clicking does not work. Also, when connecting the
Multiface box to the HDSPe express card, the Multiface continuously reports a host error (the
red LED on the Multiface front). Whenever booting the notebook with the HDSPe card connected,
I can reproduce the bluescreen, and the bluescreen does not appear in the second attempt to boot.

I suspect that the driver which seems to be installed, is not operating propperly.

I did the installation procedure multiple times and also on a Lenovo T500 notebook and with a second
HDSPe express card with always the same result and a lot of bluescreens. So, the HDSPe card is not generally broken,
and since other express cards (to enable e.g. Firewire) work well on the Lenovo notebook, I am pretty sure that the notebook
express card slot works.

So here is my question: Has anyone got the HDSPe card running on a Lenovo notebook?
Anybody got an idea what I did wrong during the installation?

If there is experience with an incompatibility of the HDSPe card with different notebook chipsets,
which notebook would this device work on?

Thank you for any assistance and best regards,

Hauke

Re: HDSPe ExpressCard(34) and Multiface on Lenovo Notebooks

Update on this topic:

I found a brand new DELL laptop and the HDSPe card worked with this one.

So the conclusion is: RME HDSPe express card and the latest Lenovo X- and T- series
are incompatible.

Best regards,
Hauke

Do you still have access to the Lenovo? I might send you a test version in a few days.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Sure, I would be happy to test a new driver on the Lenovo laptops.
I mainly have an X200, the T500 is my colleagues computer and I
am not sure whether he will let me install test drivers...

I will write you a private Email to give you my details.

Best regards,
Hauke

same problem here!!!

just bought a thinpadt400...
tought it will be easy with a pci-e card...
but : NO !!

there is no way to make it work !!!!

RME support told me they could only fix it if they would a have a new thinkpad...
but they don?t have one....so it looks like it?s not gonna be fixed...

i really loved my multiface....

but it looks like i will have to switch to a USB-soundcard now....

or did you find a solution ???

I mailed you a new firmware for a test.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

On the UAD forum someone with a Lenovo T61p had problems with expresscard in use with Xpander but got it to work and I quote: "I found out that my computer does not seem to like the card if I have it powered up while I boot up but I can get it to work if I power the card up while windows is running"
Have you tried that?

Studio Wijnbergen | HDSPe MADI/ADI-648 | Win7_64 Pro | Nuendo 5.5

8 (edited by IraSeigel 2009-06-06 18:42:34)

Please let us know if the new firmware or driver test helped you.  Your experience is important to me, too. I was planning on updating my T40 Thinkpad with the same model you're having problems with. I'm using a Digiface, but the card is the same.

Hauke, did you refer to Matthias' post about ExpressCard problems?
http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3263 You mention an "old" Multiface, so perhaps this thread is relevant.

Ira

Hi everyone,

oh, I am sorry not having responded to this thread earlier. I was very busy and did not follow the follow-up mails after beginning of June. So far I have not yet tested the beta driver. I will let you know as soon as I have tested it if I am allowed to ( I will check that with RME).

@IRA: Regarding the earlier post on ExpressCard problems, I have checked that before I contacted the RME support. Since I switched over to the DELL laptop, there was no problem with the HDSPe card and I am a completely satisfied customer.

@Raymond: I have not tested this Xpander. We have tested only those laptops with native support for express cards. If I remember it correctly, doesn't the T61p have a PCMCIA connector only? We tested the T500.

Sorry for the delay,

Hauke

I resent it now.

Regards,
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Hi everyone,

the tests with the beta driver have not been succesful. I have not been able to install the HDSPe drivers on the Lenovo laptop since the dialog in which to locate the driver does not pop up (no hardware detection). As a conclusion, it seems that the Lenovo chipset is incompatible with the HDSPe express card.

If anyone finds out how to install that device, please let me know. So far, I will stick with my Dell Laptop for now.

Best regards,

Hauke

Beta driver? You were supposed to flash a new FIRMWARE into the card. You can do this on your Dell. Then put the card into the Lenovo to see if it is now recognized.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

That's what he did... HeadScratch cool

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

I can not clearly read that out of the post. But if so then at least we know that changes of timing within the ExpressCard do not solve it. Which - unfortunately - means we have no way to fix this for these notebooks.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

I can not clearly read that out of the post.

I sent the firmware and the customer installed it... No luck, though.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Oh, sorry, I was imprecise in what I wrote. Yes, I installed the new firmware and not a beta driver.

Regards,
Hauke

We have experienced this problem on two Lenovo X200 with both MADIface and ExpressCard.
The solution is a BIOS update. The latest BIOS offers the possibility to disable the PCI Express power management.
Both cards work well now.

Best regards,
Stephan Flock
DirectOut GmbH
www.directout.eu

sf wrote:

We have experienced this problem on two Lenovo X200 with both MADIface and ExpressCard.
The solution is a BIOS update. The latest BIOS offers the possibility to disable the PCI Express power management.
Both cards work well now.

Best regards,
Stephan Flock
DirectOut GmbH
www.directout.eu

Stephen,
Thank you VERY much for taking the time to post your results.

Good luck to you,
Ira

Hi Stephan,

I tested your proposal and it works for my X200 laptop also.
Thank you very much!

Best regards,
Hauke

hey Stephan,

thanks for the tip. that saved my day. you are awesome.

(BIOS update and) to disable the PCI Express power management worked for my Thinkpad SL500.

regards
Harry

Hey Stephan,

thanks a lot, your workaround did also work on an Lenovo Thinkpad R400! It was the same fix: BIOS Update and disabling the PCI Express power management and the Madiface with HDSPe-Card now works fine!

Regards

Simeon

22 (edited by WU 2010-07-21 15:49:43)

I am having a problem with a new Dell Studio 1558. It cannot get the computer to see the HDSPe express card as a device. I tried disabling the power management to the PCI express slot. Anyone else have a work around on this computer model/

Intel i3 CPU M330
5 series / 3400 series Chipset USB
Intel 82801 PCI BRIDGE
Intel 82802 Firmware hub device
Intel HM55 Express Chipset LPC Interface controller - 3B09

Win 7 home 64

BIOS Dell A06

It is strange since I forced the the the drivers to be installed by going to device manager and saying install legacy drivers. There I got the wdm 3084 drivers to show up as installed in device manager. I then reboot and the system hangs every time but the DSP Multiface 1 shows a connection. (No Red Light). Any suggestions?

http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=8365

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Well, it's been a little over a year (!) since Stephan posted his suggestion to disable PCI Express power management after doing a BIOS update.

I finally got around to trying this today with a T500 Thinkpad and T9400 Core2 Duo chipset, the fastest one available when I got my laptop last August (prior to i7 and i5 CPUs).

Before I tried Stephan's suggestion, my system was unusable with this laptop.  Digiface, 2 Octamics, and 2 ADI-8 Pro.  The same gear worked great on older laptops with the CardBus interface, but I could not get it to work with the ExpressCard interface and the newer, dual-core laptop.  Very loud clicks and pops caused by slipped buffers and a very strange problem with one of the Digiface ADAT outputs causing a huge amount of noise.

I tried Win7 and then also tried Vista and XP, with no usable result.

After downloading Lenovo's latest BIOS update and disabling the power management, per Stephan's suggestion, the laptop is working perfectly with my equipment.  I switched to the Windows Classic theme for Win7, and the few slipped buffers I was seeing are now gone.  I'm very excited to take this gear out now for another tour.

Some photos of my setup can be seen in another area of this forum.

Thanks Stephan, and thanks RME for the great driver.

Ira Seigel

Someone tried the new Lenovo T410 / 510 with Madiface. ( or SL, L ,W series)