Topic: HDSPe AIO and hiss

Hi,

today I got my HDSPe AIO, replacing a Digi96/8 PST. Now I got hiss via the headphone jack. HD Access mouse movement and so on. Is this normal for the AIO or is my card faulty? I never had this hiss thing with my Digi96/8 PST.

Thanks ZYron

Re: HDSPe AIO and hiss

Do you use a headphone with the headphone jack?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by ZYron 2009-03-05 20:38:19)

MC wrote:

Do you use a headphone with the headphone jack?

Yes I did... I also tryed 2 other slots in my mainboard.. all the same. Even on line-out I got the hiss.
I did a sample Line-IN->Line-Out.

ZYron

Could this be a grounding issue?

http://www.pcmus.com/power-grounding.htm#wcscreen

There are some tips in here.

lewis71980 wrote:

Could this be a grounding issue?

Probably it is. What I did over the last days...
Tighten all screws on my Hardware, checked all my PCIe slots even replacing my PCIe Graphic-Card with a PCI one. Tested the Card in 3 totally different PCs.. everywhere the same.
All I can do now is to replace my PSU with a better one.
Is there a list of PSUs known to work with the PCIe Cards? Maybe a list of Mainboard too?

Thx ZYron

We were able to reproduce this effect on one system. Please stay tuned.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

7 (edited by Switters 2009-03-11 08:25:22)

Hi,

I also have the exact same problem. Just installed my new HDSPe AIO the day before yesterday. I also hear quite loud computer noises (mouse movements, screens loading, etc.).

Tried both the RCA outputs and the phones jack output - the noise is the same on both outputs.

Now, interestingly, in my case the level of the noise does NOT depend on the mixer - it stays the same regardless of the volume on the mixer (or the output level settings). So, due to the fact that I use a headphone amp, I was able to get rid of the noise in the headphones by increasing the output to quite ridiculous levels on the mixer and then turning up the phones amp volume just a tiny notch (so that the incoming noise is far too quiet relative to the signal to be audible).

However, I can't get rid of the noise in my monitors, because my monitors do not have their own volume control. And the noise is quite audible when working in Cubase, for example, especially in the quieter parts of the tracks.

Elsewhere on these forums I've noticed that certain Gigabyte motherboards were listed among the suspects for some other cards. I'm not sure if this is really the case, but I do have a Gigabyte GA-X48-DQ6.

My PSU is a 750W Chieftec (CFT-750-14C) (http://www.hardware.info/productdb/bGRk … rbo_750W/#)

Is it possible that the noise could go away by using the balanced breakout cable? Can't try that since I don't have it (yet) smile

I would be extremely happy if there was an easy solution to this...

Best regards,

Switters

The noise - if it occurs - is completely independent from all settings. Your workaround is correct (up the output levels and lower them at the receiving device) but of ourse no final solution. We are working on this but it will take a few days.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

As a follow up we are currently testing a fix for this phenomenon. It is now clear that it shows up only on a fraction of the computer base, and did not on any of the ones that we tested with (Murphy's law...). I will report more on monday afternoon, please be patient until then.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I got my AIO yesterday and have the same problem. It is really annoying with both speakers and phones and I already thought about returning the card and switching to external converters. I'll wait a few days now, hoping for a fix. smile

Robert

There will be a fix. It probably needs an easy soldering operation on the card. We will come up with all the details soon. Thank you for your patience.

best regards
Knut

12 (edited by skyoboy 2009-03-16 12:17:29)

Hello there,

I too bought the HDSPe AIO (rev. 1.3).
No loud hiss from the card on my system (MacPro 2006 2.66 Quad). However, no sound from it, either.
HDSPe Mixer displays activity on stereo in as well as stereo out, and the computer "sees" the card, and it shows up in the midi browser - however, the "Online" check box for the AIO in the midi browser is unchecked and greyed out, so can't be accessed. Re-installing driver with and without manually removing the .kext file first, double-checking audio settings, permissions repair,  flushing the user caches, directory rebuild, reinserting card - nothing helps. Followed the manual up to the point.
Driver problem?
A faint hiss as well as very weak switching noises from the GUI can be heard through some of my headphones, level seems to be independent of gain in "HDSPe Settings" window.

My question here is, does every HDSPe AIO released so far need the hardware fix mentioned? How about warranty? Will it be incorporated in an upcoming revision, and would RME be willing to replace also those cards not (yet) showing the flaw?

Kind regards from Denmark

Here is more information: it seems we were able to fully resolve this issue, more confirmation will come in today. I will post a note on how to proceed at this place, most probably tomorrow.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

...still holding my breath...

The fix is clear, but we are still testing on different systems to not have another bad surprise. Customers that return their cards will get modified ones. The procedure will start most probably next week.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hello,

just thought I'd report that my problems with computer noise disappeared today when I connected the new XLR breakout cable I just got (http://www.thomann.de/gb/rme_bo9632_breakoutkabel.htm).

And the MIDI problems I've reported in another post (http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4952) are now also fixed!

Quite a relief, I must say! smile

Regards,

Switt

Switters, your card still needs the fix. Obviously with balanced connections you have less problems.

Also on your unbalanced cables it seems that either both MIDI in and out are defective, or just wrongly labeled (did you ever try to use it the wrong way?)

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hello,

thank you very much for your answer!

Sure, I tried connecting the MIDI on the balanced cables the other way around - just in case they were wrongly labeled or if I simply made a mistake. Nothing happened, so the MIDI cables on my unbalanced cables must really be defective. What are the chances... smile

As far as the noise goes - I still hear it extremely quetly throgh the phones (if connected to the phones output), but it is so quiet it is completely unnoticeable when working.

However, through the monitors connected to XLR outputs I don't hear any noise whatsoever, even if I try really hard... So as far as I'm concerned, if this issue doesn't involve any other problems which could occur later at some point,  I'm perfectly happy the way it is smile

Regards,

Switt

Hello, I'm about to purchase a new AIO from musik-productiv.de should I be worried of getting a card with the hiss problem or should I just wait?

Thanks,
Fabricio

fabriciom wrote:

Hello, I'm about to purchase a new AIO from musik-productiv.de should I be worried of getting a card with the hiss problem or should I just wait?

Thanks,
Fabricio

Me too.
Hope RME can provide the updated information as soon as possible. Thanks.

Hi,
same problem here on an Intel 8 core mac.
Is the answer to return the card? What about postage costs and now time down for my studio?

Any update to this problem?

Parasme, contact your dealer to exchange the card.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

thanks Matthias, would a replacement fix the problem or is this a generic problem that needs engineer fixing, i.e. if my dealer replaces it should the replacement (theoretically) work?
thanks, Ian

Thanks for posting this Matthias. But - we were told last week, that the fix require some sort of soldering. Were we to do the fix at home, and another error crops up (or the issue this fix is for re-surfaces), how can we then be sure the warranty still be valid, as we would have been tinkering with the board ourselves?
Sorry, but this is beginning to bug me.

The fix requires soldering and that is why you have to exchange the card (obviously we have now started to ship modified cards). No one said you have to or are allowed to 'fix it at home'. Apart from that, according to your former posts your card dod not work at all so if I were you I had it exchanged already.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

The fix requires soldering and that is why you have to exchange the card (obviously we have now started to ship modified cards). No one said you have to or are allowed to 'fix it at home'. Apart from that, according to your former posts your card dod not work at all so if I were you I had it exchanged already.

How can we differentiate between the fixed version and former version? I'm about to buy HDSPe AIO. I don't want to buy the former version and then exchange it if I got the problem. Could you let me know if we can check the hardware version for AIO cards? Thanks a lot.

The modified cards that are shipping now have a small green point on the white label found outside on the package. This label contains type and barcode. The card itself is not labelled different.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi Matthias,

Thanks for your information. This is very helpful for me.

Hello, Matthias,

I have another, well... "subquestion" smile

I also had this computer noise problem... I mean, I obviously still have it, but I don't hear the noise anymore since I replaced the original unbalanced breakout cable with the balanced one. Exchanging the card is quite a problem for me, because I would have to send it back to Germany (from Slovenia), and that's a bit of a pain in the behind... Not to mention that I'd be without a card for weeks.

Now, since I've replaced the cables, the noise doesn't bother me at all anymore (I can't hear it no matter how hard I try, except out the phones output if I set the output on the mixer really low, which I have no reason to do). Should I exchange the card anyway - I mean, does the noise mean that there is anything else wrong with the card - or is the noise all that's wrong with it? Because if this (now inaudible) noise is all that's wrong, I won't replace it, since it doesn't bother me.

Best regards,

Switt

Sorry for having totally misunderstood you before, Matthias. As we were told in former posts, "Customers that return their cards will get modified ones", and the fix would require some simple soldering (which I thought meant "those who choose to send in their cards will receive modified ones anyway, and since the solution is easily done, it would be feasible and less complicated to e.g. solder on some kind of bridge yourself".) I used to do a lot of soldering and tinkering with electronics myself when I was younger, hence my lapsus.

Sorry again if my posts should have insulted you big_smile

Best wishes from here,
skyoboy

31 (edited by seyur 2009-04-02 23:08:03)

I have the same problem. As I understood easy solution not found and it is necessary to send card to the resoldering (sweat, braze) into Germany. This is very sad. But we in Russia did not become accustomed to surrender to problems. smile Matthias, if for eliminating the problem of noise and whistles is necessary simply something to resolder, this is don't need to make to you in Germany. In Russia also know as to solder smile Simply show where to solder and what to solder. Instruction with the pictures is necessary. smile Possible whether to place its here on the forum in this top? Also it is possible to send information about this (about the correction method of problem) to your dealers in other countries (in Russia it 4Sonic, Contact person: Andrey Ivanoff, Phone: 007-495-9830565, E-Mail: ivanoff@4sonic.ru I know Andrey Ivanoff and can be connected with him at any time) . I think simpler to go into the workshop on the adjacent street, than to send the card into Germany and wait 1-2 months...
(very sorry for my english.. sad )
Do not ignore this theme please, this is very most important problem! In Russia already completely sold off entire first party AIO and very many users can encounter this problem!

Indeed our distributors (like Andrey) will receive a modification instruction on monday. You can contact him about this.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Very big thank you Matthias!

34 (edited by fabriciom 2009-03-30 00:14:36)

Hello Maithias, can you direct me to some of your distributors in Germany that have the new fixed cards? I called Thomman and they had no clue and musik-productiv told me to call them back towards the end of next week.

-Thanks

Please, Mr. Carstens, post the serial numbers of the old (unfixed) cards!

I have already send my card to Thomann. They have indeed no clue. All the cards they have in stock right now are without green points.
But painting a green dot on a package is really easy. Everyone can do this!

Any idea when any AIO cards (preferably with green dots) will arrive south of the Equator, particularly in this location?   

I know ... the printer is running late making the green dots!

De gustibus - et sonus - non est disputandum

Hi,

I ordered a HDSPe AIO on this monday from musicstore.de and, as I feared, they send me a non-green spotted card which indeed
have serious noise going in both monitor and headphones output (hard drive and mouse noises as reported previously).
So it seems the suppliers are still not aware or not giving a crap about this issue!!
Oh well...

I hope they understand the issue and don't send me back another new card that has yet to be fixed!!

Thanks for your attention RME,

Filipe

Portugal

anyone can update the situation of this problem?
Dear MC why can't you just release the bug fix instruction? Being a RME fan, I've never lost my faith in RME. But this time is really gonna make me think twice before purchasing further product from RME.
Or just openly tell us how to deal with this problem? I can't see any official statement on this in site or here.

Please save us!

bjack

bjack wrote:

anyone can update the situation of this problem?
Dear MC why can't you just release the bug fix instruction? Being a RME fan, I've never lost my faith in RME. But this time is really gonna make me think twice before purchasing further product from RME.
Or just openly tell us how to deal with this problem? I can't see any official statement on this in site or here.

Please save us!

bjack

My new mac pro is on its way and I have no audio card...

Hello,

may I suggest you first test the card in the new Mac? Chances are there will be no noise, the issue does not occur with every computer (otherwise we would have noticed earlier and fixed the problem before the release).

Therefore, please test the card first, and if the noise occurs, mail me and we'll get something done quickly.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Hello,

seyur wrote:

Also it is possible to send information about this (about the correction method of problem) to your dealers in other countries (in Russia it 4Sonic, Contact person: Andrey Ivanoff, Phone: 007-495-9830565, E-Mail: ivanoff@4sonic.ru

Andrey has the instructions now. Customers in Russia can contact him directly.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

RME Support wrote:

Hello,

may I suggest you first test the card in the new Mac? Chances are there will be no noise, the issue does not occur with every computer (otherwise we would have noticed earlier and fixed the problem before the release).

Therefore, please test the card first, and if the noise occurs, mail me and we'll get something done quickly.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

While I appreciate the expedience of this response, it is not a question of what is the performance in the particular computer in which it is initially installed.  It may be subsequently installed in a different computer, and if there is a known deficiency in the design/manufacture of the card, it should be fixed - regardless!  Your manufacturing records should indicate which cards were produced prior to any subsequent 'improvement' in the design, and those cards should be accepted for revision, regardless - if your ISO 9001/2 accreditation means anything.

Sorry to use my 100th post on such an issue, but as someone who spent a lot of his professional life dealing with manufacturers' quality management, this reply provokes a strong response.

panatrope wrote:

Sorry to use my 100th post on such an issue, but as someone who spent a lot of his professional life dealing with manufacturers' quality management, this reply provokes a strong response.

"This reply" only referred to fabriciom's posting above mine, where he said his new Mac was on the way. If the card works without problems in this computer, he will have an audio card to work with straight away, and can choose to have it modified at a later stage, when time permits.
Apparently, you have not (yet) purchased an AiO, so this should be of no concern. Contact your dealer or local distributor to make sure you get a modified card straight away, and all will be well.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Daniel

I am indeed anxiously awaiting delivery of an AIO - in fact I hope Steve had one in his bag on the way back to Australia after Musikmesse.   And hopefully it will have the green dot on it (I had also asked for MC's autograph on it, but maybe this is expecting a bit too much ...).

It's for our broadcast installation in the new Melbourne Recital Centre, and we have already missed a couple of recording opportunities for that system because of delays in promised delivery.  Hopefully we will have it well before a 25th Anniversary direct broadcast scheduled from there for early next month.

RME Support wrote:

Hello, Andrey has the instructions now. Customers in Russia can contact him directly.
Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Thank you very match!

46 (edited by fabriciom 2009-04-07 15:25:24)

RME Support wrote:
panatrope wrote:

"This reply" only referred to fabriciom's posting above mine, where he said his new Mac was on the way. If the card works without problems in this computer, he will have an audio card to work with straight away, and can choose to have it modified at a later stage, when time permits.
Apparently, you have not (yet) purchased an AiO, so this should be of no concern. Contact your dealer or local distributor to make sure you get a modified card straight away, and all will be well.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Sorry as the previous poster said that is not an aceptable offer. I'm not going to buy something that MIGHT work. Any ways I called musik-productiv.de and their sales rep told me that they had sent back all their cards and where waiting on the new batch. I placed and order so as soon as they come in they will ship it out.

fabriciom wrote:

Sorry as the previous poster said that is not an aceptable offer.

I'm afraid there's a misunderstanding - this wasn't an "offer" at all. It was my impression that you already had the AiO and were waiting for the Mac to arrive and worried that it would be noisy. In this context I suggested to try it out first. If you haven't got an AiO yet, then by all means do wait for the new or revised ones.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

I received a modified card.  And can hear hiss using a HD25 headphone.

The frequency of the hiss gets higher as I shorten the card's latency.

Does this sound like resolvable in the future via driver updates?

thx

Definitely not.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

kuanding wrote:

I received a modified card.  And can hear hiss using a HD25 headphone.

The frequency of the hiss gets higher as I shorten the card's latency.

Does this sound like resolvable in the future via driver updates?

thx

I had my AIO card modified by my distributor a week ago and I still get the hiss when like moving the cursor in XP.
There is no IRQ conflict.
The card has its own IRQ.

The Phone output is better then before the mod but it is not acceptable.
The main output has not only the hiss but also an annoying somekind of digital distortion.

/Johan