1 (edited by andyy 2015-02-17 08:50:56)

Topic: Fireface 800 stalling software output channels, Mac OSX Yosemite

When I select Fireface 800 as output device:

Logic Pro 9 consistently gives errors such as "Error code 25974 was returned by the Audio driver." and sometimes (much less often) "Error Code -2" or other numbers. By consistently I mean the alert continuously pops-up even after you've just dismissed it.
iTunes stops responding when I try to play a song.
preview of audio files stop playing.
youtube videos stop playing. Pressing play/pause updates the icon but the video doesn't progress.

When I select Internal Speakers the youtube video automatically resumes.

I have installed XCode, Android Studio and been working on some DSP projects on Android devices, installed Virtual Box and GenyMotion. But those are about the only things I've done since it was working ~ok before. Audio was appearing on software out 1 & 2.

I'm ordering a new Firewire cable, but that might take a week to arrive. I just thought I'd ask if there was any setting that I might have missed? or if There is a way to reset the 'Audio Driver' beyond restarting the computer which I have already done. I've also resetted PRAM/NVRAM and SMC controller.

I have about 30GB to spare on a 500GB HDD with 8GB RAM on an early 2011 MBP.

Edit: TotalMixFX is working to the extent that I can mix the input channels to the outputs.

I am using 2.77 on the fireface and have tried drivers 325 and 324.

Re: Fireface 800 stalling software output channels, Mac OSX Yosemite

Does this sound like an issue that could have been caused by the firewire cable?

Logic Pro 9 consistently gives errors such as "Error code 25974 was returned by the Audio driver."
Youtube videos stall as soon as the fireface is selected as Audio Output and resume as soon as it is deselcted.
iTunes crashes and/or doesn't play. Seek bar does not progress.
file preview does not play audio.

Has anyone had this error?

bump

Do you use any other FireWire devices on this Mac?

Does the unit work with system sounds before you start Logic?

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

6 (edited by andyy 2015-02-20 18:36:53)

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the response.

No, I don't own any other firewire devices.

No, it's just stalls any program that tries to send audio out.
TotalMix works to the extent that I can redirect the hardware input channels to hardware outputs.

It was working a few weeks ago. Although I was at times getting a 'midi' error from logic explaining that only 30,000 or so samples/frames were counted in this second or whatever (I'm using 44.1kHz). I'm guessing maybe the cable was causing that problem and now maybe it has just had it. Sound reasonable? Farfetched?

Any other ideas to try in the mean-time? Is there a test that I can do to see if it is connecting properly?
I think I updated the firmware successfully so I suppose it's probably not the cable...

I installed a clean OS. It works now. I don't know what could have possibly gone wrong.