Topic: Mac OS X 10.9

I have just purchased a FF800. I have been using it perfectly for the last month or so (I deleted Total Mix and was using the Mixer and Settings).

I just installed the latest Mac OS X Maverick operating system on my iMac (I just bought a macbook pro which runs the new OS) and now I can not seem to open the mixer or settings. I can just access Total Mix?? Is there a bug with the new Mac OS or is there an RME update that i am not aware of??

Re: Mac OS X 10.9

I run OSX 10.9 and FF800 with no problem on older MBP
simply reinstall driver I think
OSX driver 3.17
Fut 2.77

regards S-EH

OK not a FF800 but UFX connected on firewire and the OSX update does not seem to have hurt anything.

Fine here on my UFX since the GM Seed on Oct 3rd.  Overall system performance is up, but not to the point where I could drop to 32 samples - but it's very good!

Sorry my English s**t
I have problems with my RME 400 and OS X Mavericks.
If you open Logic pro and play music on Safari 7.0, the sound becomes distorted, crackled.
If you close Logic pro sound good on Safari

if you control the volume from the keyboard it is slow

We have 10.9 on several Macs and basically it seems fully compatible to the existing drivers. Except one small issue: audio that started before sleep will not continue undistorted after wake up. This applies to all programs continuing playback, like Logic or Garageband, but not to iTunes, as it stops audio and you have to manually restart the playback.

We have a fix already that will be released soon.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

7 (edited by doubledee 2013-10-26 11:57:12)

MC wrote:

We have 10.9 on several Macs and basically it seems fully compatible to the existing drivers. Except one small issue: audio that started before sleep will not continue undistorted after wake up. This applies to all programs continuing playback, like Logic or Garageband, but not to iTunes, as it stops audio and you have to manually restart the playback.

What can you say about my problem? My setup MacBook Pro 15 2012 RME 400

MC wrote:

This applies to all RME soundscards ? like Fireface UC and such ??

Any.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Excellent MC!

----------------
Matt McKenzie-Smith (UFXII, UFX, Babyface) MacStudioUltra OS13.2.1
----------------

Because my English is still poor,
I might sound rude to you.
Please forgive me and understand (that) I never mean it.

I updated it in OS X Mavericks (MAC OS X10.9).
The version of the FIREFACE800 driver is the latest, too.
However, I am hit by the consecutive troubles of the beep sound which crashed on the way
when I play a sound in FIREFACE800.

[my MAC use environment]
iMAC (27inch,Late2013) 3.5GHz Intel Core i7
Memory 8GB 1600Mhz DDR3
HD 3TB

<audio system interface>
I am connected to the cause with Thunderbolt ? Firewire800 conversion cable.
RME FIREFACE800

That might indeed be an iMac issue that Apple has to fix. Did you install the latest firmware/software updates for your iMac?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Yes.
I think that the version of my FIREFACE800 is the latest.
The version of the driver is 3.17 and Rev. 2.77.
And software updates of MAC OS X(10.9) is the latest, too.

I was able to use it without a problem in MAC OS10.8
Until a few days ago

The only problem I've seen so far on 10.9 is that TotalMix and the USB settings app no longer open automatically when I plug in my Babyface. and there's no output until I manually start the TotalMix app. Also, the first time I plugged in the BF after updating to 10.9, there was a warning about a kernel extension being from an unknown source.

I updated it in driver is 3.18 and Rev. 2.77 Kernel=3.18,
but the trouble that asked you a question was not solved today.

The problems that you describe don't exist on our machines, nor do we expect that our driver can fix them.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I figured out my original issue - needles to say it was me not the software.

18 (edited by doubledee 2013-11-03 18:31:16)

Hello! my English is still poor)
Update 3.18 not solve the problem, associated with a crash in the sound.
If you open Logic pro and play music on Safari 7.0, the sound becomes distorted, crackled. (but after the update(3.18) was less distortion)
The problem is related to the slow switching volume with the keyboard solved!
My setup MacBook Pro 15 2012, RME 400.
Thanks
P.S. I know that the same problem with many other sound cards (OS X 10.9)

I think that probably the sound crash skip phenomenon
that asked you a question is caused by Fusion Drive of iMAC (27inch,Late2013) or MAC OS X10.9 so far.
It was written in at a discussion forum of Aple that this phenomenon occurred in the audio system interface of other companies.
My problem is not still settled, but thinks that a user hit by a trouble like the future comes out by all means. Therefore I think that I serve as some kind of references.
Thanks

Version 3.19 did not solve the problem

Someone has a problem I described above?

I have problem using the late 2013 iMac 3.5GHz i7 with 10.9 Mavericks. I cannot get stable audio on both of my FF800.

There are digital noises within a few minutes when I play iTunes or any audio like youtube. Sometimes I can switch different sample rate to get it work for a while but other time I have to completely shut down and reboot.

I upgraded the driver version 3.19 with firmware 2.77 but it still doesn't work. Any one can help?

This is not an issue of 10.9, but of the Fusion Drive equipped iMac systems. Only Apple can fix this.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Yes my iMac has a 3T fusion drive but are you saying that there will be problem even it is not using the fusion drive? For example, I have the same problem when I play the music on YouTube.

Beside, I had same problem with my new quad-core MacBook Pro i7 with 1T SSD (no fusion drive there). Is it really the fusion drive or something else?

The issue with audio breaking up after a few minutes is a known Fusion Drive problem, as you will find on this forum and elsewhere on the web. The other issue with the Macbook is likely unrelated.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

hip808,

Tons of us are having this issue, and it's being discussed here, on gearslutz and apple forums, etc.

Solutions that have been suggested/implemented are:

- Installing mavericks on an external USB drive, and boot from there, effectively not using the fusion drive at all (this is what I'm doing)

- Repartitioning the fusion drive to NOT use the SSD, installing mavericks there, and run off of the 7200 1TB drive itself.  (thereby losing all the benefits of the fusion drive)

Are you using a thunderbolt -> firewire adapter?

Good luck, this is been a nightmare for all of us hmm

-Eric

I'm using an RME 400 and MacBookPro 2012, i'm getting sound but it's skips/hangs/freezes a lot when loading a webpage or programms. Never had this problem with Mountain Lion.

I have an RME Fireface 800 that has had problems since installing Mavericks on my late 2011 MPB.

Now and then I get glitches and skips in my audio when using Safari and iTunes.
I have to turn the Fireface on and off.

Sometimes all audio goes silent and I have to turn my FF800 off and on again.

Today I installed 3.19 and now tonight my TotalMix keeps crashing. It freezes all meters, then exits itself.

I'm a long-time FF800 owner and haven't had any issues for the last 6 years until Mavericks.

I just had a show with some interesting clocking things happen while using my rMBP running 10.9 and my UC.  I usually use my trusty 2011 MBP running Lion and probably old UC drivers, but just before a big show a month ago its logic board died, and I figured a 13" Haswell with a 512G internal SSD would be a great backup and eventual replacement.  Last week I got off the plane at another gig and the 2011 MBP had its battery swollen and was bulging at the seams so I decided to use the new 13" running Mavericks again until I could get the battery replaced.

I'm a corporate A1 who runs a bunch of playback and some records with my UC, usually via ADAT connection.  Depending on the console I rent, sometimes I clock it to my Fireface because lots of companies send them out with Black Lions and I like my RME clock next to those (I'm not sure I hear a difference clocking the consoles or leaving them be) and occasionally that will clean some noisefloor out of digital snakes.

That's how I was setup, Yamaha M7 chasing my UC which I've done dozens of times, and everything seemed OK through setup and soundcheck until I took the setup apart to record voiceover announcements in a quiet room.  It was the first time I had run Logic on this new 10.9 machine, downloaded fresh from the App Store.  I started an empty project, pointed Logic at my RME as default IO device, changed the project sample rate to 48K then recorded a dozen or so voiceover snippets.  Then I hooked my UC back up to the console, took my laptop back to my hotel room to edit on headphones and go to bed.

Pretty sure I didn't reboot the machine, I edited the VOs, bounced them, quit Logic and shut the lid.  The next morning I plugged my laptop into the UC and everything in the PA popped, which hadn't happened before.  Then I started trying to review the VOs I had recorded on the PA and a lot of them had obvious sync issues, stuttering and popping.  Then I went back to my soundboards (I use QCart) from the day before, all cues that had fired perfectly fine many times and they started doing the same thing, as did iTunes.

I had a whole crew waiting for me to start a rehearsal so I quickly rebooted (did not power cycle the Fireface) and that seemed to make everything happy again.  At least one other time I had the PA pop like it lost sync briefly when I plugged the laptop into the UC, but most times that didn't happen and the playback never crashed like that again.

I've had this UC since within a few months of its release, with the 2011 15" it has been rock solid, and it was flawless with the older MBP I had before that (2008 maybe?).  I've gone through this whole process dozens of times and never experienced these issues, even with 10.9, but it seems like switching between the UC and onboard sound Logic somehow managed to break the sync of OSX applications and at least stutter the outgoing clock signal from the Fireface.

30 (edited by davrae1 2014-02-26 02:27:51)

I've moved to OS X 10.9.1 on my Fusion drive iMac (late 2012)
Running Logic Pro X with an FF800 (3.19, 2.77) using an Apple TB/FW adapter cable.
No problems after a week or so.

Dave