Topic: DigiCheck file format

Hi

I have two questions: What format does DigiCheck use to save recorded audio? RF64?
And which program(s) do people recommend for multichannel audio editing?

I currently use Adobe Audition 2.0, but I'd prefer something which will load big interleaved files (>10GB) - Audition chokes on anything bigger than 2GB.

Thanks,

Trevor

Re: DigiCheck file format

Cubase and Samplitude tesetd well here. I think the Format is WAV (could be BWAV). Drag and drop interleaved file into Samplitude and it automaticly loads up all the tracks with each individual channel! Nice!
Just wish they had Samplitude for Mac...

Thanks for your reply, Warrick. 3 quick questions: Which program created your interleaved file(s)? And roughly what size is the biggest interleaved file you've loaded? And which version of Samplitude are you using? Thanks in advance.

Trevor, DigiCheck Record (newest DigiCheck) creates the interleaved files (called 'multi' WAV files in the program).  It is best to save the initital recording from DC record in this format as this is the format that DC record can/will 'load' from a disc.

I use Adobe Audition, both 1.5 and 2.0, and either one will do the same thing that Samplitude does as far as parsing the multi-WAV file into individual WAVs and loading them into the program.

--Dean

HDSP9652 w/ AEB4-I/O - FireFace800 - 2 x Presonus Digimax FS - FriendChip DMX16/18

Thanks Dean, but as I said in my original post, Audition chokes on any interleaved file bigger than 2GB. When recording live concerts, I can easily get interleaved wav files of 10GB and greater, depending on the number of tracks enabled.

I'd like to load these big files directly into an editor, and I'm hoping Samplitude (or another program, I'm open to suggestions) will enable me to do this. At the moment I have to save the individual track files (which in itself takes quite some time) and then load each one separately into Audition.

Sorry to not have read the thread carefully. smile  I just did a session a few weeks ago and loaded a ~12 gig file into AA 2.0 with no problem, however it took about 10 minutes to do it.

--Dean

HDSP9652 w/ AEB4-I/O - FireFace800 - 2 x Presonus Digimax FS - FriendChip DMX16/18

Hmm... Every time I've tried, Audition displays the normal dialog box and looks like it's going to cope, but when it gets to the end of the file a message appears to the effect that the end of the file was unexpected and data is truncated. This is with Audition 2.0, which is why I'm looking at Samplitude.

Thanks for your input.

8 (edited by dstdean 2007-05-24 04:42:45)

Trevor, you got me to thinking so I went back and used AA1.5 and 2.0 to open the 11.5GB interleaved WAV file (14 tracks of 24bit/48kHz ~1hr 40min duration). 

I stand humbled and apologetic for stating a falsehood in the previous post.  Neither program sucessfully opened the file.  Both would get to the end of the file (99%+) and then give a 'End of File Too Early. Data Will Be Truncated' error.  The WAVs would show up in the file list as "blah_blah (partial).wav" ('blah_blah' being the original file name).  I must have done as you are doing and saved the individual WAVs from DC record in order to work on (and complete) the project.

Here's the interesting part:
AA 1.5 took ~10 minutes to open the file and would show ~08:54:12 of the 14 WAVs
AA 2.0 took ~6 min 15 sec to open the file and would show ~35:34:12 of the 14 WAVs

I performed the test by using both 'Import' in MV and 'Open' in Edit view on both programs.  I also tried dragging and dropping the file onto both programs (which takes you into EV) with the same results.  The difference between your scenario and mine is that I was able to get all (or most) of the file to read before getting the error.

I am going to cross-post this to the AA forum and see if there is anyone there that has had experience with this.

--Dean

(edit) Additional info - Audacity (free multi-tracker http://audacity.sourceforge.net) opened the file with no problem.  It took it about ~17 minutes to do it, but it opened and separated the file into all its individual WAVs... Go figure....

Thanks for that Dean, my experience was just as you discovered. I'd be very interested in any response you get from the Audition forum.

Looks like I need to investigate Audacity. I'd also like to know whether Samplitude, Wavelab or any other program is more successful with these big files.

Matthias, are you or any of the other good folks at RME monitoring this thread? Did you test any commercial editing products when you were developing the DigiCheck record function?

10 (edited by shudupanddance 2007-05-24 08:49:47)

I haven't tested it but soundforge 9 has multitrack support now.

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/pro … ;PageID=55

and a review http://www.studiodaily.com/studiomonthl … /7955.html

RME RPM + PCI, SL1200, Nad c350 , Dynaudio Audience 52, Ableton, Traktor. Dell 9200 E6600 XP Home

Thanks, yes I saw the SoundForge 9 announcement. I could (easily) be wrong, but I think it's limited to 7+1 tracks - aimed at the surround people rather than multitrack recording per se.

Trevor Learoyd wrote:

Did you test any commercial editing products when you were developing the DigiCheck record function?

Nuendo, Cubase, Samplitude, WaveLab.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

13 (edited by dstdean 2007-05-25 02:37:24)

I have posted on the Adobe Audition forum and have also submitted a bug report to Adobe.

--Dean

Matthias & Dean - Thanks.

Dean,
   Did you try reloading the multitrack file in digicheck and could you get past that point?

I tested SF9 with an 8 track multiwave and it loaded OK as eight individual tracks - I think it can go as high as 32 buit I haven't tested this yet.

I have recently acquired WaveLab 6 but have not spent a lot of time with it yet (I currently spend most of my time in Sound Forge and REAPER (I also have Audition 2.0 but have not fallen in love with it). I checked only the WAveLab documentation but it did not mentioned support for .wav files with greater than 2 tracks, ie., stereo - so I didn't try it.  From MC's previous post I assume it is possible, again up to 8 which is the maxiumum in a multitrack montage. (I realise this might be a question for the WaveLab forum as well, but a quick answer from anyone here would also be useful - how to get WaveLab to load it?)

Digicheck Global Record is very useful, but I would appreciate the ability to restrict record bit-depth to 16 bits for some non-critical jobs to cut down on file-size (and disc space).   But I'm not complaining ...  well done, RME.

De gustibus - et sonus - non est disputandum

17 (edited by Randyman... 2007-05-26 03:34:58)

Any chance those of you having issues with large files are using the FAT-32 filesystem for your Audio drives? Just a hunch wink

Randy V.
cool

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8

Panatrope - the interleaved files load back into DigiCheck perfectly. They are playable within DigiCheck, and DigiCheck will save the file again either as an interleaved multitrack, as two tracks per stereo file, or as individual mono track files.

Randyman - all drives are NTFS. Operating system is XP SP2 in all cases.

Sorry Panatrope, that was for robhudson.

Panatrope - I'd be interested in how many tracks SF9 will handle in an interleaved file. The only information I've been able to find suggests that 8 (7 + 1) is the limit.

And again - Panatrope - the latest patch for Wavelab has this in the release notes:
"The function ? Import special audio file ? is no more limited to 2 GB files."

But it doesn't say if there's a track limit.

Thanks again to all for your input.

21 (edited by dstdean 2007-05-29 01:35:18)

robhudson wrote:

Dean,
   Did you try reloading the multitrack file in digicheck and could you get past that point?

Hey Rob! Yes, I re-loaded it and saved it as individual WAVs.

--Dean

22 (edited by dstdean 2007-05-29 01:39:16)

Randyman... wrote:

Any chance those of you having issues with large files are using the FAT-32 filesystem for your Audio drives? Just a hunch wink

Randy V.
cool

No Randy, all my drives are NTFS.... but thanks for the thought!  It'll be interesting to see what Adobe says/does....

--Dean

23 (edited by Dandruff 2010-04-11 22:31:06)

Just tried to open a large (5.337.276.668 Bytes) stereo RF64 WAV file in foobar2000 1.0.1 => Error:

Startup time : 0:00.129705
could not enumerate tracks (Unsupported format or corrupted file) on:
D:\new1_1009.wav
Opening track for playback: "D:\new1_1009.wav"
Unable to open item for playback (Unsupported format or corrupted file):
"D:\new1_1009.wav"

foobar2000 1.0.1 changelog says

Audio format support updates: added support for decoding Wave64 and RF64 formats, added built-in support for writing Wave64 format.

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/ind … p;p=692457

FIXED (1.0.2.1)

Well, Samplitude can read our files, in all channel numbers and sample rate versions, so it seems the Foobars have to further update their program...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

25 (edited by Dandruff 2010-04-11 22:31:23)

Ok. They requested a hex dump of the first ~4 KB to check. Just need to record a file again smile

FIXED (1.0.2.1)