Topic: Update:TotalMix FX 0.97 RC1 for Win & Mac - Cocoa and OSC support

As a follow up to this thread:

http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic … 584#p65584

about the Mac version being re-written with Cocoa and adding OSC support, and this thread:

http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=13115

about OSC in general, here comes Release Candidate 1 for Windows and Mac.

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/to … rc1win.zip

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/to … rc2mac.zip

These files can be used with the current drivers and UCX, UFX, Babyface and UC.

!!!! The new Mac TotalMix is no longer compatible to 10.5x !!!!
!!!! Mac USB users should use the latest driver 1.67:
https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/dr … ac_167.zip !!!!

RC1 includes:

- Several bug fixes

- Optimized Open GL support on Mac for reduced graphics CPU load

- The option 'Enable MIDI control' can only be enabled when a vaild MIDI input port has been assigned.

- MIDI port behavior on startup and when loading workspaces reworked. This should solve some mysterious misbehavior seen by a few users.

- Enhanced OSC support (trkpanval, phantom power), compatibility to Lemur.

Full list of supported OSC commands: https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/os … talmix.zip

--------------------
How to use OSC with the app TouchOSC:

First copy the latest configuration file via iTunes or TouchOSC editor to the iPad:

Template for TouchOSC: https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/to … mplate.zip

To connect to TouchOSC:

- Start TouchOSC on the iPad (automatically shows its settings page)

- in TotalMix FX fire up Settings (F3). Win: On the new OSC1 page add the iPad's IP (can be found in the OSC settings on the iPad) to the section 'Remote Control'. Add the corresponding incoming/outgoing port numbers to the dialog and click ok. Mac: the iPad should already be shown in the section 'Remote Control', Host. Under 'Found Remote Services' click on the iPad/TouchOSC entry. Check the port numbers (so that they match the ones in the TouchOSC settings), then close the dialogbox via OK.

Perform the same procedure on the iPad side, means within the TouchOSC app (under 'Connections' TotalMix FX is shown as 'Found Hosts'. After selecting it hit the 'TouchOSC' and the 'Done' button.

- Don't forget to 'Enable OSC Control' in TotalMix FX, menu Options.
--------------------

- "/2/loopback" and "/2/stereo" are also implemented/functional, but we did not add them to the included template.

That's all? No folks, we're not smoking, you will be! Beta 4 also includes full management for hiding channels, removing them from the TM FX surface as well as the remote controls. Look here:

[img align=L]https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/chlayout.png[/img]
This new function is called 'Channel Layout' (in the Options menu). Choose Input, Playback or Output row first. Select the desired channels from the list with the mouse and the standard selection methods, then select the 'Hide Channel in' command to the right that suits your needs:

- Mixer/Matrix: The channel(s) will vanish from TM FX and the remote controls, MIDI/Mackie and OSC.

- MIDI Remote 1: Channel(s) is no longer existing for the MIDI/Mackie remote control

- OSC Remote 1: Channel(s) is no longer existing for the OSC remote control

The list shows which channels are currently in use (used for mixing), active (in double/quad speed or with Limit Bandwidth some channels are no longer active), and hidden. The remotes are shown as hidden or not as well.

This flexible setup allows to clean up the mixer surface by removing unused I/Os, or to (finally) use the 8 faders of a Mackie control with any free selection of channels within one row. The current configuration is stored within the workspace.

Coming later: Channel Layout panel to the right to quickly switch between different channel layouts. Channel layout import/export. Combine Hide function with Submix view: only the currently active Inputs and Playbacks will be shown when a submix is selected in the third row - perfect mix overview!

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Re: Update:TotalMix FX 0.97 RC1 for Win & Mac - Cocoa and OSC support

Yep. I don't even use the Babyface options I have now, and am proud to be supporting a company who is this active in their product related communications and evolutions!

On my mac osx lion, everytime i try to change the tm channel names, it crashes.

Tanks

Which RME device? Driver version? Firmware version?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

5 (edited by labf 2012-02-07 11:35:05)

Sorry for the omission,

Im using FFUFX with the (at today) latest usb driver and firmware.

not interested in osc but i want this update for the bugfixes!
how do i install this totalmix update?
i´m on windows 7 and if i doubleclick on the exe file, the already installed totalmix pops up and if i go to the device manager and try to update the drivers, it says i already have the latest...

labf wrote:

Sorry for the omission,

Im using FFUFX with the (at today) latest usb driver and firmware.

We tried and can not reproduce. Please give us a step by step description of what you do. Which channel? What name did you type? Happens with any name or only with special names? Crashes at what moment? Etc.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Working great here, good job!

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

9 (edited by neirbod 2012-02-07 22:19:33)

This is great, Matthias, thank you!  I will try it soon.  In the meantime, can you tell me if the layout function is able to rearrange the channels in TM or in various remotes?  It would excellent if, for example, one uses AN1, AN9, and ADAT3 for drum mics to be able to arrange them together.

Please try it, didn't understand the question completely, maybe it is obsolete after you worked with it.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

11 (edited by panatrope 2012-02-08 22:57:27)

neirbod wrote:

can you tell me if the layout function is able to rearrange the channels in TM or in various remotes?

If I understand the question correctly, you want to know if it is possible to change the order of the channels in TMFX.  In your example, you want to know if the three separated channels can be re-arranged to be next to each other. The answer would appear to be 'no' as I see no provision at present for doing that.  The only way it would happen is that all the channels between them are unused and hidden, but I don't think this is what you want.

Perhaps the easiest way is to plug the mics into adjacent channels  :-)

De gustibus - et sonus - non est disputandum

panatrope wrote:

If I understand the question correctly, you want to know if it is possible to change the order of the channels in TMFX.  In your example, you want to know if the three separated channels can be re-arranged to be next to each other. The answer would appear to be 'no' as I see no provision at present for doing that.  The only way it would happen is that all the channels between them are unused and hidden, but I don't think this is what you want.

Perhaps the easiest way is to plug the mics into adjacent channels  :-)

That indeed is my question.  Plugging mics into adjacent channels works up to a point, but not always.  For example, I may have some high quality pres like APIs on AN1 - AN4 for snare, kick and overhead mics.  My tom mics may be on a lesser quality pre/converter routed through the ADAT inputs.  Vocals may be in the middle of my drum channels on channels AN9-AN12.  In this case I would like to be able to rearrange the channels so that all my drums faders are together.

This is not critical, but it would be a nice feature and one that was asked for in the past.

This function will be covered by the hiding panel where you can easily switch the hide states, so simply make a view where all channels in-between are hidden, and the combined hidden submix view where you click the submix output of the drums and then only see the channels active for that submix. A free shuffling of the channels is quite cumbersome to add and will lead to a lot of confusion in practise, so we have no plans to add that.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

14 (edited by bsfreq 2012-02-09 13:33:13)

MC wrote:

A free shuffling of the channels is quite cumbersome to add and will lead to a lot of confusion in practise, so we have no plans to add that.

For sure this feature might be a little confusing, but I can see when this could be useful, and I was kinda hoping for it too. For me it might be enough to be able to re-organize the 8 channels for the mackie and osc controllers only. (at first I thought the "M1" number meant that you could reassign any channel to mackie channel 1, 2 etc, but then I read that this was for the upcoming second controller support which is of course cool as well :-))

I'm using the TMFX without looking at the TMFX window, so it wouldn't really matter if the channels are set up differently on my controller and totalmix. (of course it would be more distinct to have them in same order) Anyway I just want to organize them the way I'm used to - so that the channels I use most are near me on the first faders to easily access them while playing.  And the ones I use most happen to be on the XLR-inputs on channels 9-12. (I still need to control the inputs 1-8 too)

But.. actually with LcXmu you CAN reorganize the mackie channels exactly the way you want. Maybe this is possible with osc templates as well, can someone tell?) I already did this with lcxmu and I'm happy. I have all the channels named in TMFX so I can quickly find them when needed.

No matter what, this is the update I've been waiting for. You just freed 8 (in and out) adat channels from my UFX for other use.

Good job!

Fireface UFX+ | Fireface UFX | Babyface Pro | 12Mic

MC wrote:

TA free shuffling of the channels is quite cumbersome to add and will lead to a lot of confusion in practise, so we have no plans to add that.

Understood.  It is certainly not necessary, but it would be helpful.  Hopefully TouchOSC has some way to rearrange the channels. 

In any event, the current update is a big improvement and appreciated.

Hi Matthias,

I can't connect TouchOSC to TM.  I successfully loaded the configuration file.  I also found the iPad's IP address and ports, and entered this info into the settings dialog box within TM.  So far so good.

The problem I have is the iPad does not appear to see TM.  You wrote "Now perform the same procedure on the iPad side, means within the TouchOSC app (under 'Connections' TotalMix FX is shown as 'Found Hosts'. After selecting it hit the 'TouchOSC' and the 'Done' button."  I see the "connections" panel in TouschOSC, but can't see anywhere that it has found TMFX as a host. Under Connections if I click "OSC not configured" I see a line that reads "Host" but it seems to be wanting me to manually enter an IP address.

Hello Mathias,
Let me just congratulate you and your team for this exceptionnal update of TotalMix FX.
It is exactly what I was waiting for (and I guess I am not the only one !)
Have a nice evening,
Philippe

neirbod wrote:

Hi Matthias,

I can't connect TouchOSC to TM.  I successfully loaded the configuration file.  I also found the iPad's IP address and ports, and entered this info into the settings dialog box within TM.  So far so good.

The problem I have is the iPad does not appear to see TM.  You wrote "Now perform the same procedure on the iPad side, means within the TouchOSC app (under 'Connections' TotalMix FX is shown as 'Found Hosts'. After selecting it hit the 'TouchOSC' and the 'Done' button."  I see the "connections" panel in TouschOSC, but can't see anywhere that it has found TMFX as a host. Under Connections if I click "OSC not configured" I see a line that reads "Host" but it seems to be wanting me to manually enter an IP address.

You should not have to enter anything manually. Are the iPad and the computer connected to the same WiFi network?

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Jeff wrote:

You should not have to enter anything manually. Are the iPad and the computer connected to the same WiFi network?

Yes, both are connected to the same home network and I can get to the internet on both.   I suspected a firewall issue, but I turned it off temporarily and I still can't connect the iPad with the UFX.

On a related matter, is there a way to use TouchOSC to control the UFX *without* a wireless router?  The great benefit I see from this new feature is the ability to use an iPad to mix FOH for small gigs.  But I am not sure how to link the UFX with the iPad to make this work. Is this possible?

Thanks

I got it working on both my PC and mac laptop. The mac was more plug and play, while I had to fiddle with manual ip address on the PC and adjust the ports. It works like a charm now! Thanks for implementing this, it's quite extraordinary!

Mats Helgesson
http://www.livingsound.se

neirbod wrote:
Jeff wrote:

Yes, both are connected to the same home network and I can get to the internet on both.   I suspected a firewall issue, but I turned it off temporarily and I still can't connect the iPad with the UFX.

On a related matter, is there a way to use TouchOSC to control the UFX *without* a wireless router?  The great benefit I see from this new feature is the ability to use an iPad to mix FOH for small gigs.  But I am not sure how to link the UFX with the iPad to make this work. Is this possible?

Thanks

Ad Hoc network:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyXp4IzhvTg

RME Fireface UFX
Mac Mini 2.6 GHz 16 GB Ram Areca RAID | MacBook Pro 2,2 GHz 16 GB Ram | OS 10.10.5

MatsHelgesson wrote:

I got it working on both my PC and mac laptop. The mac was more plug and play, while I had to fiddle with manual ip address on the PC and adjust the ports. It works like a charm now! Thanks for implementing this, it's quite extraordinary!

Hi Mats,

I am still having trouble with getting it to work on my PC.  Can you elaborate on how you fiddled with settings?

Thanks,

Dave

Eric Bradley wrote:
neirbod wrote:
Jeff wrote:

Thanks

Ad Hoc network:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyXp4IzhvTg

Thanks, I will give it a try. I had read somewhere that you can't set up an adhoc network with an iPad, but I am not sure how accurate that information is. 

Do I understand correctly that you have successfully linked TouchOSC with the UFX over an adhoc network?

neirbod wrote:
MatsHelgesson wrote:

Hi Mats,

I am still having trouble with getting it to work on my PC.  Can you elaborate on how you fiddled with settings?

Thanks,

Dave

Sure, if my settings work for you smile

On the Ipad: Enable OSC Host, set it to my DAW's IP address (192.168.1.2), set the outgoing port to 7001, incoming to 9001. Note which IP address of the Ipad. Choose the TotalmixPad1 Layout.

In Windows: Start TouchOSC Bridge and make sure it's running in the background. Start Totalmix FX. Go to Options/Settings/OSC1. Adjust the incoming port to 7001, outgoing to 9001. Make sure the Host IP is set to the same value as the Ipad shows (in my case 192.168.1.4).

Now go to Options/Enable OSC Control.

Should do the trick.

Mats Helgesson

neirbod wrote:

Do I understand correctly that you have successfully linked TouchOSC with the UFX over an adhoc network?

Well... you need a computer connected to the UFX. wink

RME Fireface UFX
Mac Mini 2.6 GHz 16 GB Ram Areca RAID | MacBook Pro 2,2 GHz 16 GB Ram | OS 10.10.5

TouchOSC Bridge is not needed at all. Please explain why you use this together with our template. TM FX talks OSC directly...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

TouchOSC Bridge is not needed at all. Please explain why you use this together with our template. TM FX talks OSC directly...

You're right, silly me. Nice.

Mats Helgesson

Thanks for your help, Mats and Eric.  I still can't get it to work.  I can see a connection is made as, when I enter the settings then click "enable OSC" In TMFX i see lights on TouchOSC come on.  The issue is this also has the effect of my computer completely locking up. Keyboard, mouse are useless.  I can also see that Total Mix locks up as my input meters, which previously were moving as I had some mics plugged in, suddenly freeze.  This happens every time.  Seems like this is a situation unique to my system as others seem to have no problem.

I am still just trying to connect through my home network. I will try setting up and hoc network later and see if I have any better luck.  This is frustrating as I am eager to work with TouchOSC and have been looking forward to having features like this.

neirbod wrote:

Thanks for your help, Mats and Eric.  I still can't get it to work.  I can see a connection is made as, when I enter the settings then click "enable OSC" In TMFX i see lights on TouchOSC come on.  The issue is this also has the effect of my computer completely locking up. Keyboard, mouse are useless.  I can also see that Total Mix locks up as my input meters, which previously were moving as I had some mics plugged in, suddenly freeze.  This happens every time.  Seems like this is a situation unique to my system as others seem to have no problem.

I am still just trying to connect through my home network. I will try setting up and hoc network later and see if I have any better luck.  This is frustrating as I am eager to work with TouchOSC and have been looking forward to having features like this.

Sorry to hear that sad I had some issues with getting TotalMix FX mac to work with AC7 Core and couldn't resolve them until I switched wireless router. Then it all magically worked. For the record I have a Huawei B593 LTE router, which is specific to my network provider, so it's not a product anyone can get...

Mats Helgesson

Thanks, Mats.  I was doing everything you did but with no luck.

However, I did have some partial success.  I updated my network adapter drivers and that took care of the crashing problem.  I then took a close look at my firewall settings.  I know I had allowed access to TMFX previously so I had not though to look closely at my settings.  It turns out Windows firewall did have a rule allowing access of TMFX.  However, it also had three other rules, one of which allowed access and two that did not!  Why Microsoft would invent such a crazy system is a topic for another thread.  I cleaned up the rules, keeping just one that allows access.

So now I can make changes in TMFX and see them reflected on the iPad.  But, I can't get TMFX to react to changes I make on the iPad.  I will keep tweaking it and see what I can do.

Have I mentioned how much I hate this kind of crap?

And success!  It turns out my IP address was not correct.  I had used several online sites that all told me my IP address was one thing.  I later found that using a DOS command prompt and ipconfig command gave me a different IP address.  Maybe someone more computer savvy can explain that one to me, but in any event the new IP address works.  I hope my difficulties, and solutions, help someone else have an easier time than I did.

Now that it works, it is quite a powerful tool!  Thanks, RME , for implementing this.  I wanted to provide feedback on my limited use thus far.

The only issues I see is that channel names are not reflected properly.  The names across the top are a strange combination of my inputs and outputs and don't line up with the correct channel.  For example, in "input" view the channel #1 name at top reads "FOH" (which is my *output* #1 name) and channel #2 reads "Tom 2" (which is 11 channels away in TM on input channel ADAT 2).  Similarly, in the channel strip view the track name is not correct.  Note that the correct channels are actually linked - fader action, mutes, solo etc. work correctly.  Just the names are incorrect.

Perhaps a related issue is that when selecting submixes a single touch will correctly select the desired submix (as seen clearly in TM), but it sometimes takes more than one touch for the submix name to be correctly listed in TouchOSC.

I am curious if other users have the same issue with channel names, or if there is yet one more quirk in my system that needs addressing.

One more update.  I set up an adhoc network and TouchOSC works perfectly with none of the strange channel naming issues I mentioned above.  I have no idea why this is the case, but I am glad to finally have a working set up.  This will be a valuable tool for both FOH mixing and in the studio.

I had hoped my difficult experience setting up TouchOSC was uncommon, but it seems it is not.  I read a lot of posts on the Hexler TouchOSC forums while trying to get mine to work. It seems there are a lot of issues like the ones I had with people not being able to connect correctly, strange firewall behavior etc.  There is unfortunately not a lot of response or support from Hexler.  While I greatly appreciate RME making this feature available, I am concerned that TouchOSC may not be the best solution given connection issues and lack of support.

Hi,

trying to use the firefaceUC OSC with Lemur. Lemur is receiving the TotalmixFX messages just fine. But Totalmix does not seem to handle the Lemur msgs. Could it be that TotalmixFX (b3) does not understand bundle oscout msgs yet

thanks a lot
Jens

Possible. At this time we have implemented everything so that it works with TouchOSC. We will check with Lemur about that, but need some time (holidays).

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

would be awsome. thanks a lot! smile

There is a touchosc app for android devices. Will this work on android phone/device?

I would think so, but we do not use nor support Android.

We are in contact with the guys from Lemur, so a fix should come within the next weeks.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

The first post has been updated with beta 4, which now works with Lemur. We do not have a full template as with TouchOSC, but you could download a simple 8-fader project which prooves that it works:

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/base_test.zip

There have been further small bugfixes, mainly in the Mac version.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

neirbod wrote:

And success!  It turns out my IP address was not correct.  I had used several online sites that all told me my IP address was one thing.  I later found that using a DOS command prompt and ipconfig command gave me a different IP address.

As long as you have an iOS device within your network (and you have) download the free app 'Fing'. It is what we use ourselves - extremely useful, reliable and quick.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

This new beta of TotalMix FX Rocks!!
I wish I had this version on my last remote recording gig.
I used the channel layout tool to hide all software playback channels.
My matrix is 20x8 - right now I'm viewing only 20 inputs (Pres 9-12, ADAT1-8, ADAT9-16) and 8 Analog outputs.

I'm looking forward to controlling 16 channels with 2 BCF2000s in the next version of TotalMix FX .

Good work!!

Studio: RME UFX PT11, Studio One 2.5, Waves, UAD..
Live: RME UFX, Octopre, Rodes, Shure

Thanks for supporting Lemur now! As soon I have time I will look into a template.

Wow, Tnx RME for OSC implementation!!!

My Lemur is alive now : )

Cheers,

b.

https://granurise.com

I wished we had the time to do the Lemur template like we did with TOSC, but upcoming Frankfurt Musikmesse is making it impossible. On the other hand, given the examples for TOSC (see pics in post 24 in this thread: http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=13115 ) plus the list of implemented commands (first post in this thread), it should be possible for an experienced user to copy those quickly. If we get a working and good template fast then we could try to implement the level meters before Frankfurt...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

If anyone has developed a template for iphone and is willing to share please let me know... Even with basic functionality... This is a great thing and exactly what I have been dreaming about but just spent my ipad money on a ucx...

MC wrote:

If we get a working and good template fast then we could try to implement the level meters before Frankfurt...

Hi Matthias,

Are you saying it is possible to have level meters using Lemur?  Is this also possible in TouchOSC?

Yes. No.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Fantastic outcome With TMFX OSC control. All installed and working without any problem.

A few tips for getting an iPad to work with a Mac and any MIDI or OSC link for easy connectivity and stability:

. This is my stage set up for my 8 pce band.
. We are now using the iPad to control individual musican monitor mixes: wireless and wired ear buds, and stage foldback.
. MacBook Pro with UFX via USB driving all monitor mixes.
. Bluetooth turned off on both the MacBook and iPad
. Cellular Data turned off on the iPad
. From the WIFI drop down on the MacBook choose "create network". Give it a name. I also use WEP security to prevent the audience connecting to it (note to self - will look at advanced network options to see if I can disable SSID broadcast as well)
. Connect the iPad to the new network hosted by the MacBook.
. Be prepared to accept the "allow connection from network" dialog that may pop up on the MacBook when trying to connect. Alternatively, disable your firewall until you get the hang of it all.

From there follow the instructions for your particular software. Matthias' instructions for TotalmixFX and OSC work perfectly.

The setup above removes the need to have an additional WIFI router, and in any case makes it the most simple for playing with the technology while you're still trying to get everything working.

Matthias: where can we download your OSC template from? The Beta4 doesn't include any OSC templates.

If anyone has any OSC and/or Lemur templates I'd very much appreciate giving them a try / test if you are willing to share. Likewise I'll report / contribute back my results and developments.

Cheers
Brendan

BrendanMc wrote:

From the WIFI drop down on the MacBook choose "create network". Give it a name. I also use WEP security to prevent the audience connecting to it

From personal experience with Apple devices killing a network as soon as Airplay starts I would recommend to use WPA2 with AES encryption - problem gone. So this is not only safer, but also more reliable at this time, it seems.

BrendanMc wrote:

Matthias: where can we download your OSC template from? The Beta4 doesn't include any OSC templates.

I added the link to the file in the first post. Thanks for the note, I had overlooked that.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

50 (edited by neirbod 2012-02-26 14:39:13)

BrendanMc wrote:

Fantastic outcome With TMFX OSC control. All installed and working without any problem.

A few tips for getting an iPad to work with a Mac and any MIDI or OSC link for easy connectivity and stability:

. This is my stage set up for my 8 pce band.
. We are now using the iPad to control individual musican monitor mixes: wireless and wired ear buds, and stage foldback.

Thanks for sharing this, Brendan.  I will be trying the same thing soon.  It works well in my studio, but we have not yet tried it live.  How many times have you used it live?  Any problems to report?  How many times have you used this system live?

Aside from potential wifi signal loss/interference, the only issues I am wary of are for live use are:

1) The behavior of Touch OSC rotary encoders resulting in an inadvertent jump from minimum to maximum levels. I would not even want to touch the compressor settings live for this reason in case I accidentally make the makeup gain jump to maximum.  I hope Lemur is better in this regard, but I have not tried it yet.
2) The behavior of the UFX effects sends.  I would like to have the ability to have them track the FOH mix so the wet/dry balance is maintained as I adjust the faders, but the only current option is to have it track the highest submix.  This is not an insurmountable problem, but one I hope RME can address in a future update.  I know others have raised it as an issue as well.

Good luck and please continue to report back.

Cheers,

David