Topic: Fireface UCX

Hey Rme Crew, this new interface is looking amazing!! im a very happy FF800 user - has always been superb with every computer ive used it on.. but i am thinking seriuosly about the UCX as the ipad compatibility and smaller mobile foot print could be great for my youth project work.
Im hanging out for the new MBP - poss june time - I was wondering - with the advent of thunderbolt, which seems to be the next standard in high speed I/O - why did RME not put this connection on, especially with the new upcoming Macbook pro - which sounds like it will be thinner and may mean possibly less usb`s firewire - who knows if Apple will keep a good number or if they will have the room?? they may well move to the super expandable Tbolt??
Dont get me wrong - im positive you have got this running pretty on out the box - but with more and more limited usb`s, being used for dongles, uad satellite etc, etc, those ports are highly valued - i guess im just wondering why you didnt?

Also - is the remote lead interchangeable to allow smaller lengh interconnect between the interface and the remote?...
the long supplied lead would be great for distance controls and big studios, but on the road could be a bit long, no?...
And its so very handy to have the dial for basics like volume etc -at hand, especially as the UCX comes with no analog volume ...

Also - will RME support iphone 4s / UCX in the future?? ok not a deal breaker but an interesting option that could be utilised. high end mic pre hard disk recorder etc,, poss certain applications i can think of...

Anyhows, loving the whole RMe deal , and i am seriously considering this unit...

thankyou very much smile

Re: Fireface UCX

I was wondering - with the advent of thunderbolt, which seems to be the next standard in high speed I/O - why did RME not put this connection on ...

Sure, Thunderbolt is a very interesting connection technology. But for the UCX it was not the right choice. USB and FireWire can easily transfer all channels and is compatible to all PC and Mac OS hardware. Which is not the case with Thunderbolt yet.

Other important points:
- A Thunderbolt-equipped interface would be significant more expensive. We are speaking of several hundred USD.
- An ultra-compact interface, like the UCX had to get rid of one or even both USB/FW ports to integrate it in this format. As we wrote in the product description: it is already filled up to the limit with RMEs latest high-tech electronics and the space on the backside is already used.
- Thunderbolt is in fact an external PCI express port. It will not improve the already low latencies of the UCX (or UFX), as we already reached PCIe latencies. Maybe it's possible to squeeze out a half millisecond more, but this is pure speculation and the UCX/UFX got already an advantage with the intergrated low latency converters.
- Not to forget: Thundebolt users need to buy the 49 USD / 49 EURO cable from Apple seperately. This cable will not be included with an interface and has a fixed size of 2 m (compared to USB/FW cables in flexible lengths). this may change later, but the TB specifications limit it to 5 m. It also has to prove its long-time reliability in the pro audio world, because of the used active high-frequency technology inside. It would be a good choice to buy at least one backup cable. The cable situation is a significant cost factor in the moment and will be in the future.

RME of course develops very interesting Thunderbolt solutions, which will profit from this connection type, e. g. with the support of much more channels than 38 (UCX) or 60 (UFX).

Don't forget RME's philosophy covers reliability and approved technology for professional work. USB and FireWire are already on the limit - with the lowest possible latencies, with many channels (60 in the UFX) and an unmatched stability on Windows and Mac OS.

Also - is the remote lead interchangeable to allow smaller lengh interconnect between the interface and the remote?...

Both Remotes come with a fixed length. It's surely possible to cut and fix it again on the connectors side. Warranty will be lost, but if you need it ...

Also - will RME support iphone 4s / UCX in the future??

No, there are technical limitations with the iPhone.

best regards
Knut

Thanks knut,, i appreciate your comments - all makes sense... Im also aware that there will be hubs
Available in the future to plug usb, firewire etc.

An interchangeable lead would of been preferable, im not keen on hacking
Lovely new cables .. Lol,, 

Sorry - 4s can be used now with the ucx? or has no restrictions to implement it for the future?

Cheers for the input, cant wait to see this badboy in action, im sure you will kill it with this one!!
ipad support is the way forward to, ive been using the moog Animoog on the iphone omg - its incredibly warm,, ive got the Arturia plugs and the animoog is awesome,,

Cheers knut, all the best

Sorry - 4s can be used now with the ucx? or has no restrictions to implement it for the future?

It's not possible in the moment. I don't know if it will be posssible in the future, maybe MC can answer this question. He did very intense testing with the iPad (see our tech info).

best regards
Knut

Ok cheers

It's a limitation on the Apple side.  Only the iPad has the ability to hook up a class compliant DAC via the camera connection kit.

Dr Tone wrote:

It's a limitation on the Apple side.  Only the iPad has the ability to hook up a class compliant DAC via the camera connection kit.

Thx for that info