Topic: RE: Babyface Preamp Bypass question

I've seen a couple of similar posts but my post is a little different.

1) My RME Babyface is en route to me as I write this.  I have a Focusrite ISA One Analog.  I wish to bypass the mic preamp at times to use my standalone preamp instead.  I have read that to do this, I need to turn the input gain to 0db, thereby preventing the preamp chip from kicking on.  I also believe I understand that the preamp circuit is still somewhat live though in some way,  What type or amount of any additional noise can I expect to pick up with setting this up with my ISA One.

The only thing I will be recording is narration dialogue for documentary projects.  I have a studio professionally treated for acoustics, so my environment is ideally quiet.     

2) Although I intend to use my Focusrite ISA One specifically to preamp condenser microphones, and therefore not drive the preamp hard at like 80db of gain, will there be an issue with the Babyface taking on the signal.  I believe that I have heard that the Babyface may have a maximum input signal of +12dBu and that the ISA One is capable of outputs higher, like in the +20dBu range.  I had an older M-Audio Fast Track Ultra I tried before this and I think the ISA One was too powerful and clipped my DAW without much gain on the ISA One at all.  Will the babyface work well?

Thank you for any assistance,
Trying to understand if this is going to work before I would open the product box.  I have heard great things about this little Babyface.

Epiphany

Re: RE: Babyface Preamp Bypass question

1) There is no additional noise.
2) It will work if you adjust the gain (or, if available, output level) on the ISA correctly.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Thank you Daniel.

There is no real way of adjusting the output on the ISA One, except for less gain.

The current issue I have with the FTU interface I currently have is that I can't use more than about 35 on the on the gain without clipping.  I was hoping to be able to have the ISA One gain set higher on the Babyface because it was pretty higher grade of interface.  A little more gain, a little more ISA One flavor.

You can put a pad between the preamp output and the Babyface input if you need to drive the ISA harder to get more color.  I do this for most of my drum preamps into my AD's - works well IMO...

But for narration and V/O stuff, you probably aren't looking for much "color" or "aggression" from pushing the output stage and transformers hard TBH.  Back off the ISA's gain until you get the level you need.  Why add more gain (and noise) than needed (unless stictly for color/saturation)?  Most Condensors used with a "strong voice" and a close mic technique generally won't need too much gain to begin with.

cool

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8

For the answer of your second question "In the analogue world, we'd call clipping +12dBu" guess that's why BabyFace's input signal limit is that so no worries for that..

Most of my preamps and compressors don't clip until closer to +30dBu wink  That's the reason you need output pads to be able to drive these "hot" preamps (if desired) into AD inputs w/o ending up with 24-Bits of "1's" across the board (w/o clipping the poop out of the converter) :-P

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8