1 (edited by 3phase 2011-10-27 20:20:31)

Topic: RME bad quality power supplys... i ve enough

Hello,

could you please provide a higher quality power adaptors with your products? Sofar i had to replace 3 RME power adaptors and paid each time around 90 euro.. A disgusting price for such crap power supplys really.
And now number 4 is dead ..from my 22 month ago purchased fireface 400. Is there still guaranty on that one?

I actually would like you to replace the power supply this time without costs. Because its allways RME supplys that die. 4 in 10 years.. is that intentional failure by design?

I recommend to look for another supplier. RME power adapters are the only ones that died in my studio within the last 20 years. All the old rolands, Boss and yamahas still work. All laptop supplys still work.. Only one apple died when i stomped on it.. But the Rme just die without user interaction on a regular base. Usually just short after the garanty period

Any other users that suffred from RME power supply issues`?

Re: RME bad quality power supplys... i ve enough

3phase wrote:

Any other users that suffred from RME power supply issues`?

Sorry to hear about this, but I am not aware of a general issue with these PSUs. Only one failed me in nine years, that of a nine-year-old Multiface...

Do try a forum search, I don't think there have been many similar complaints.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Apart from that our external power supplies do not cost 90 Euros but less than half of that.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Plus you can choose any other PSU that's got the specs...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

MC wrote:

Apart from that our external power supplies do not cost 90 Euros but less than half of that.

thats your reseller price i guess?  So why do i have so many failing power supplys with the multi and fire faces i used and still use? 

How long do theese units have to work to be replaced by the company? isnt this 2 years in germany now or are chinese power supplys excluded from that?

So no other users with issues? So no reason for RME to rise the quality..  However i need a new one soon..because when its my special  fireface itself that kills unguilty power supplys i dont like to run it bus powered any day longer than necessary.

If you are in doubt about the quality of the supplied PSU (I hear very few complaints otherwise), I'm sure you will be able to find one of suitable quality in a local electronics store. The specs are not exotic.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

I have had only one power supply go bad out of all the equipment that I have owned over a 20 year period...and yes, that was my FF800.  Cost me $200 USD to repair which is absurd.  So the options were trash the unit or spend the $200 basically they 'had' me.  I would also say just by doing a search on the forum you will find that MANY people whom have experienced a failing power supply with your product.  So yes, you do have an issue with the quality of your power supplies and by your responses you are not to concerned about it.  Which is a shame because you do have a good product and reputation - sad you are willing to sacrifice that reputation with such a simple solution.  Because, for me personally, the next time I go to buy a recording interface I will think more than twice before I buy RME again.

Fireface 400 is a bit different to the 800 though. The 800 uses an internal power-supply, so you when it breaks you are screwed and have to pay for repair. The FF 400 that 3phase is musing about uses an external power-supply and you can use any of the many 12 v out there (or rather anything between 8 and 28 v).

I just bought a Sharkoon QuickPort Combo external HD adapter for less than 40 EUR that came with a 12 v/3000 mA power-supply of nearly the same form-factor as the RME one. It even uses less power when nothing is connected (turned off) than the RME one. So for 40 EUR you get both a superb HD adapter and power-supply.

Power-supplies alone are even considerably less expensive.

Ahhh yes that does make a difference and I see the point.  Yet, even with that case the 800's do still have an issue which sounds like it is much worse considering the cost involved.  Thanks.

10 (edited by 3phase 2011-11-19 17:33:58)

RME Support wrote:

If you are in doubt about the quality of the supplied PSU (I hear very few complaints otherwise), I'm sure you will be able to find one of suitable quality in a local electronics store. The specs are not exotic.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

you are not answering my questions. And i asked a bit around here in berlin.. its not so uncommon that rme power supplys fail.i am suprised that you dont know that.. YOu also dont seem to know that the specs of your power supplys are not so easy to get  because they do the line filtering for the whole interface..  so just a normal analoge one wont do. thanks for all the usefull information from your side.. but

isnt it by german law that you have to give 2 years garanty on your products now or s that only for the resellers? Or not the case at all? can you please please answer that?

Because if its the case i would like to get the new power supply from you.. and when this fails again i buy myself a better one..

but this time where the power supply finaly failed within the supposed garanty time..  i would like to benefit from this rare occasion..  especially because its not the first time..

So is there a garanty for 2 years on your products or not? or is the shop supposed to give that garanty and the manufactor is out of the loop?

Contact Synthax Germany and I am sure they will replace the power supply. BTW, it's warranty, not 'garanty'.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3phase wrote:

but this time where the power supply finaly failed within the supposed garanty time..  i would like to benefit from this rare occasion..  especially because its not the first time..

So is there a garanty for 2 years on your products or not? or is the shop supposed to give that garanty and the manufactor is out of the loop?

You do know that there are official channels to contact support via e-mail and phone? One call would have handled your issue as warranty case and you'd already have a fresh power-supply in your hands.

Instead you chose to vent off in the user-forum *before* gathering experience with support?!

Anyway, here is a direct link to Synthax Germany's repair form: http://www.synthax.de/de/support-reparatur.html

MC wrote:

Contact Synthax Germany and I am sure they will replace the power supply. BTW, it's warranty, not 'garanty'.

thanks

Timur wrote:
3phase wrote:

You do know that there are official channels to contact support via e-mail and phone? One call would have handled your issue as warranty case and you'd already have a fresh power-supply in your hands.

Instead you chose to vent off in the user-forum *before* gathering experience with support?!

Anyway, here is a direct link to Synthax Germany's repair form: http://www.synthax.de/de/support-reparatur.html

when the central power supply dies in the middle of a recording i am more into venting than calling supports at 9 pm.. especially when thats not the first..

sorry for the inconvinience.. But..

maybe the supplies are worse than RME thinks because when it happens after the warranty time and just once many users maybe dont even report at all.. And not all of them might buy a pricy spare from RME than. Maybe i had bad luck..but 3 failing in 10 years ..i think thats too much.
But as nobody has chimed in with similar experiance.. maybe really an accident.

I understand the sentiment, but I do not understand that an audio professional has no spare power-supply around for recording (preferably several at different voltages or a universal one that can be switched).

No one forces you to use the original RME power-supply and frankly I have no idea where you paid 90 Euro if you'd choose to buy one. Typing "RME Netzteil" into any price search website (or even G++gl+ returns the same 39 EUR everywhere. Seems like your local supplier ripped you off.

Also you should consider it part of your job as audio professional to know about power-supplies, voltages and amperage. When you are playing guitar you usually even know about negative and positive tip. And the RME devices make this even so much easier as they accept a wide range of voltages, both AC or DC and thus don't care about tip polarity. Cannot get any better/easier than that as far as power-demands of a device go.

You are still right that the RME power-supplies should not die so easily. Do yours get too hot maybe, because of where they are placed (lack of any air-flow around them)? Do you ever switch them off or do you keep them running 24/7?

I don't have exact statistics, and not every case of defective hardware ends up in my inbox, but over the course of the past (almost) ten years, the number of complaints about failed external PSUs is (wild guess) less than ten - just to show that they do not seem to die regularly and frequently.
One has failed me, too, out of quite a number I have here for various devices. Things fail at times.

Unless something in the way you use them or the surroundings causes these problems, then I would indeed say you've just had bad luck, sorry.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

I have a FF800 and had to replace the elco's in the PSU.
I know 1 guy with a FF400, his PSU died a year ago.
So that's another 2 cases RME.
A friend of mine has an ff800, that's still working.
So thats 2 broken out of 3....

Sander wrote:

A friend of mine has an ff800, that's still working.
So thats 2 broken out of 3....

:roll
That's about the worst misuse of statistics I have seen in a very long time...

I have only one car, and it broke down... That means cars have a 100% failure rate, wow...
Lies, damned lies, and statistics
How to Lie with Statistics

Just by the way, as has been mentioned on this thread, FF400 and 800 are totally different in terms of PSU.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

3phase...

are you sure it's the actual power supply? The reason I ask is I made a post just yesterday about coming home one day to find all the LEDs on the front of my FF400 lit up dimly (there are usually none lit all all except for the segmented number LED). Freaked me out and I pulled the adapter jack out right away and when I inserted it back in it kind of worked intermittently at first but seemed stable after retrying it a few times. I thought everything was fine and there had just been some weird one time glitch but when I went play any audio on my pc there was no sound even though I could see meters working. When I switch over to bus power everything is normal and works fine. At the suggestion of RME support I was about to locally purchase a new adapter today but decided to test my RME one first both with a multimeter and by operating other 12v devices I own and the adapter is fine and its green LED lights up fine. I'm saddened to now realize there is in fact something wrong inside my Fireface itself, and being out of warranty and out of work for the winter I cannot afford any amount to send it in and have it fixed. I also don't want to be shut down for possibly weeks while sending it away. I don't get paid for what I do but it is my daily passion, I can't afford a backup solution. So, like the other user whose thread I posted in who had the exact same issue, I am left having to run my FF off bus power for the foreseeable future. If I want to upgrade to a higher end RME product I cannot sell mine like this and to use it I must now be tethered to firewire so I cannot use it as a stand alone.

My problem is fixed... as I just posted over here...

http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic … 825#p64825