Topic: HDSPe MADIFace and MacBook Pro 15"

I mix on a Soundcraft Vi6 and need to pipe MADI into my MacBook Pro 15" for recording. However, ExpressCard is only available on MacBook Pro 17". Question is, is there any stable work around for this situation? Appreciate your inputs. Thank you.

Re: HDSPe MADIFace and MacBook Pro 15"

There is no workaround. You could connect a Fireface 800 or UFX and use a MADI-ADAT converter (ADI 648) for 16 channels...

If this is a new MBP with Thunderbolt, then maybe one day a TB adapter to Expresscard will work.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Thanks Daniel, for your prompt reply. Would this do:

Sonnet Echo ExpressCard 34

i preordert the Sonnet Adapter, will post my experiences when its here ...

Thanks oTon, on behalf of all MacBook Pro 13" and 15" inch users I thank you! smile

6 (edited by Audio Processing 2011-10-13 08:36:55)

Yes oTon we are pending to your feedback eagerly!

A question for RME,
What is the communication protocol type you use on your cardbus?
Because it seems that most of the needs for such an adapter is for USB3, Gigabit Ethernet, eSATA. All of these use serial transfer
Do you use serial transfer on the cardbus?

And again, thank you oTon for your feedback !
highly appreciated.

Audio Processing wrote:

And again, thank you oTon for your feedback !

should be here in about 2 Weeks, as i was told yesterday.

Thanks oTon, Can't wait for your verdict ;-)

Do you want to connect an HDSPe MADIFace to a MBP ?
If it works with HDSPe MADIFace, will it work with HDSPe Express Card for digiface or multiface ?

9 (edited by oTon 2011-10-13 10:14:59)

Audio Processing wrote:

Do you want to connect an HDSPe MADIFace to a MBP ?
If it works with HDSPe MADIFace, will it work with HDSPe Express Card for digiface or multiface ?

yes, a MADIface with a new MPB 15". I really hope it will work, as a often have to record Liveshows out of a Soundcraft Vi6 / Digico SD8/9 Board, and it worked really well with my old MBP, so lets have our fingers crossed ;-))

I also mix on a Vi6 and use the Madiface with Reaper software.  It works really well.  Im using an old Macbook Pro 15".  I used to use a Sadie LRX2 system which was for more complicated and un-reliable.

I'm also trying out Reaper with the Madiface off of an Avid Profile. Have an issue with reaper locking up every few minutes and missing a few seconds of information, this making my recordings useless as they're not complete from song to song. Tried everything that I've been told from the software company but with the same results. Any idea what could be causing this to happen? We're running BNC from the consoles Madicard to the Madiface. Reaper sees the audio just fine from what I can tell. Thought about trying it on another computer but the only other one I have is a 15" MBP (using am older 17" MBP). Unless there is an adapter for the Express card to USB, then I have no other wtruro run it. Thanks.

oTon, I know there are loads of us eagerly awaiting your report!! Any luck with it arriving!

Thanks,

Bronski

13 (edited by oTon 2011-11-09 20:35:53)

bronskisound wrote:

oTon, I know there are loads of us eagerly awaiting your report!! Any luck with it arriving!

unfortunately its not here yet, but i will post immediately when i could try it.

greets Marcus

oTon wrote:
bronskisound wrote:

unfortunately its not here yet, but i will post immediately when i could try it.

greets Marcus

I had a feeling you would say that it hadn't arrived!!

I'm probably as excited about its arrival as you are!

I see this has been delayed till 12th december. I understand the constantly changing thunderbolt coding has a lot to do with this! behind.

16 (edited by oTon 2011-11-24 23:38:48)

i hope it will work anyway when its here ... ;-)

oTon did you receive this adapter? Did you manage this to run? I've got the same problem, I bought macbook with no expresscard  and I'm looking for solution to connect MADI card... Please let us know if you had any luck with sonnet adapter and MadiFace. Highly appreciated.

panjazzon wrote:

oTon did you receive this adapter? Did you manage this to run? I've got the same problem, I bought macbook with no expresscard  and I'm looking for solution to connect MADI card... Please let us know if you had any luck with sonnet adapter and MadiFace. Highly appreciated.

it shipped today .. ;-)) .. so i will have it in 1-2 Days, then i will try it and report imediately .. ;-)

Great! Can't wait to hear your verdict! smile

He oTon,

I need to buy as soon as possible a new macbookpro, needed in about 10 days for a production. I was wondering if you did the try?

Seb

Hi Everybody!

I got my adapter this monday and it worked fine!!! i have a MBpro2011 13"
i haven't tried to record anything yet but my madiface gets power and my macbook finds my madiface so everything looks just fine!

/martin

i try it next tuesday, but up to now the Card gets recognized and all looks fine, when i did the recording i call back.

Great news! I really wonder if it's stable during recording/mixing. I'm looking forward for more news!

Now ....

i recorded 32 Tracks for 2 Hours, played back ... did some Overdubs. All with no Problem, behaves just as on my old Macbook Pro with the MADIFACE directly inserted. I will do some more Liverecordings with a Digico SD8, Soundcraft VI6 and Allen & Heath T112 the next weeks and will report.

I testet it with a RME HDSP MADI Card and also directly hooked on a Studer Vista 5, works fine :-)

The only complaint i have its thats you have to even take more care that you don´t screw up the connections ... the Card sits in the Sonnet Adapter as flabby as it did in my old Macbook Pro, easy to accidentally pushed out, and Thunderbolt also is not a "locking" connection, so take care.

so don´t throw away your old cards ... :-):-):-)

25 (edited by bronskisound 2012-01-13 17:02:10)

AMAZING!!!!!

Just ordered myself one.

Will test out with my madiface/macbook pro 13" 2010/avid profile with madi card at the next opportunity!!!!!

I only wish that they made the express card/thunderbolt adapter as per their original intentions - the shipping version doesn't have 2 thunderbolt ports, (2nd for passthrough) so you cannot use anything further down the "line" such as a display...
But awesome news that it is working with RME. 
Others I know are testing it with the caldiget sata2 expresscard adaptor, and it hasn't been performing as well as the card does in the standard expresscard slot in the 17" mac book pro.  But there are still many variables.... smile